Notices
Series I Major Horsepower Upgrades This is the place to discuss Super Chargers and Turbos, Nitrous, Porting, etc

Bridgeported engine results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bridgeported engine results

Do not argue with me or tell me a bridgeported RX-8 engine doesn't make more power. It does. We have tested it on on the dyno and on the track for many hours and it works. Look for details in the future. We are seeing about 233 rwhp or about 7% increase in airflow over our previous engines we've tested from BDC Motorsports (who I would recommend to do business with). Thank you Brian Cain for your services and experience to build this and allow us to test this on your behalf. I will not be sharing templates or measurements of this for others to duplicate. Brian has spent a fair amount of time and effort on his own coin because he believed there was power from a Bridgeported Renesis. He was right. I'll be sharing this info in the future. Again, don't ask me to send you templates or sizing as he is the guy who has work product and will be holding this closely as a business advantage to allow him more revenue from customers searching for this solution or more power or whatever their buying reasons.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Needs Boost!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EricMeyer
Do not argue with me or tell me a bridgeported RX-8 engine doesn't make more power. It does. We have tested it on on the dyno and on the track for many hours and it works. Look for details in the future. We are seeing about 233 rwhp or about 7% increase in airflow over our previous engines we've tested from BDC Motorsports (who I would recommend to do business with). Thank you Brian Cain for your services and experience to build this and allow us to test this on your behalf. I will not be sharing templates or measurements of this for others to duplicate. Brian has spent a fair amount of time and effort on his own coin because he believed there was power from a Bridgeported Renesis. He was right. I'll be sharing this info in the future. Again, don't ask me to send you templates or sizing as he is the guy who has work product and will be holding this closely as a business advantage to allow him more revenue from customers searching for this solution or more power or whatever their buying reasons.

Cheers,

Eric
That's awesome! finally another way to gain solid HP
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
The renesis is entering into another stage of developement.
Does the brigde reduce reliability a great deal?
233 to the wheels--heck just boost that to 5lbs and you are at 300? 5lb boost is very easily managed.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Gold Wheels FTW

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by olddragger
The renesis is entering into another stage of developement.
233 to the wheels--heck just boost that to 5lbs and you are at 300? 5lb boost is very easily managed.
I've got about 3,000 miles on mine... no problems so far. Just need to tune it some more. It still isn't quite right in closed loop at 5000+ RPMs.

Any chance of seeing a dyno sheet?
Is the 233HP on an otherwise stock car?
Can you give us any basic info on the mods that make up that 233 HP number?
Dyno Pac, Dyno Jet, or some other kind of dyno?
Thanks for the info Eric.

Last edited by reddozen; 07-07-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

NICE!......subscribing to this thread.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
The X is silent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't tease us if you aren't going to put out

...Need more info
Old 07-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Boosted Kiwi

Received 1,490 Likes on 839 Posts

I'm totally confused . Is this the same engine from the other thread with a dyno of a 233whp engine or something different ?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brettus

I'm totally confused . Is this the same engine from the other thread with a dyno of a 233whp engine or something different ?
Great eyeballs! A+ for the observation. Unfortunately these are not the same. The 233 Motor was from a Star Mazda (or Pro Formula Mazda). Just so happens that they are near the same peak.

The bridgey actually made well above 233 in 5th gear but we do all our pulls in 4th.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RXeligion
Don't tease us if you aren't going to put out

...Need more info
I'm actually quite busy doing a zillion other things. This motor is not built but in the works and once it's built it will need a header and some kind of wacky motor mount fab'd up. Until then this post was just to let people know it's coming down the pike.

Trust me Brian and I have no intent of tesasing or other nor are we not going to put out. I just have a zillion other things going on including a couple of important races that are taking priority. This engine fiddling stuff is just something I enjoy doing when we aren't busy. Very low priority. So.....don't hold your breath but be surprised when you see some things.

I would guestimate Mid-March she will be on the dyno/track/sharing feedback. Good enough for you?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

This motor is not built but in the works and once it's built it will need a header and some kind of wacky motor mount fab'd up.

Sounds like the PP Exhaust renny is bridged and you and Brian have formed a business relationship.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Official Post Whore

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Mid-March as in 9 months? That is a long time for rotor heads who want info now
Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe in the rotary world bridgeporting is the most reliable method of porting vs gains as it maximizes the lapping of the exhaust ports while still providing support for the seals?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
SARX Legend

Received 452 Likes on 366 Posts
TX

Originally Posted by pdxhak

No **** But good things come to those who wait.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
SPOOLN8

Received 208 Likes on 156 Posts

For some people 9 months could be too soon!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by paimon.soror
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe in the rotary world bridgeporting is the most reliable method of porting vs gains as it maximizes the lapping of the exhaust ports while still providing support for the seals?
Early testing feedback that would normally cook the motors we run in World Challenge showed zero issues upon tear down. We ran this motor for 4.5 hours at MAM at crazy WOT and right up to our 9,000 rpm hard ignition cut. Upon tear down we did not find the issues we normally find in the stock motors. Rather interesting. One data point doesn't mean much to me anymore so when we run it crazy fast for another couple of times, tear it down for inspection and see nothing, then I think Brian Cain is on to something and I'd label it as "reliable".

Until now we have 4.5 WOT hours at race pace in hot weather and a following dyno run which revealed 0 power loss. Tear down showed zero wear (too many measured details to talk about thank you).

All good
Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

WHOOPS! August. Next month. I think the invisible keyboard ghost jacked my Mac
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM
SARX Legend

Received 452 Likes on 366 Posts
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
The most reliable porting yes--. Eric has somewhat answered my question.
It sounds encouraging... but we will see?
Any significant driveability issues.
Idle speed?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Great eyeballs! A+ for the observation. Unfortunately these are not the same. The 233 Motor was from a Star Mazda (or Pro Formula Mazda). Just so happens that they are near the same peak.

The bridgey actually made well above 233 in 5th gear but we do all our pulls in 4th.
Thanks! I was confused on that point a little bit as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

I wasnt here for a while and it looks like I will be visiting rx8club more often because of this guy EricMayer. First some race track renesis making 233WHP now this bridgeported making the same power I cant even think what numbers we will see in august maybe over 250whp
YOu are the MAN !!!!! When I think about 2007 people was making 185-190whp and turbo around 300 and many people thought we hit a limit on that motor
Its amazing we can see so much improvement.
Good luck and hope you hit some good numebrs!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Bigus Rotus

Finally, my OE engine sitting in my garage has a new trip to make. Brian I told you I had more work for you on my website!

nemesis8.com

Eric - missed you last time in Indy - was too busy myself to make the call. Maybe next time?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

The most reliable porting yes--. Eric has somewhat answered my question.
It sounds encouraging... but we will see?
Any significant driveability issues.
Idle speed?
C'mon Denny. You'll have to guess on that one. You are a smart dude. What is your guess on idle speed and why?

You can doooo it!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
3-wheeler

Do not argue with me or tell me a bridgeported RX-8 engine doesn't make more power. It does. We have tested it on on the dyno and on the track for many hours and it works. Look for details in the future.

This motor is not built but in the works and once it's built it will need a header and some kind of wacky motor mount fab'd up.
I'm confused.

Last edited by Flashwing; 07-08-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM
skc
rev it up

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Bridge port on older rotaries gave the car a lumpy sounding idle. The the renesis bridge port sound the same.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Flashwing
I'm confused.
Perhaps this might help:

We have tested and continue to test various configurations of irons for BDC Motorsports and Brian Cain. We started with mild porting and documented things along the way. We repeated this. We drove this. We repeated this (a few times). We dyno'd these a few times (different builds of the same irons and/or exact same irons in a different assembly.

Brian then got more aggressive with his die grinder and we did the same. Dyno. Test. Record. Drive. Tear down. Inspect. Rebuild. Dyno. Drive/Test. Dyno. Teardown. Observe. We did this with two different engines.

Brian then sent us a crazy Bridgeported engine. Build. Dyno. Drive. Dyno. Teardown. Observe (looked better than anything we've ever seen). Rebuild and set for second round. Additionally we've built an e second bridge based on one of the motors that Brian worked above and will be duplicated that effort as well.

As you can see, my personal preference is to try and duplicate results with several attempts/tests/dyno/track time with more than one motor. There are small variations in output with stock motors (a few hp typically) and sometimes one will last an hour or two longer on the track than others. Running a couple of these things takes out some of the "its a fluke" factor and gives us more and better feedback. With spare motors all ready to rock, we can also stick an built engine back in the car quickly after yanking one to continue our testing loop while the other gets torn down and inspected. I think we have 5 motors in rotation including the stock WC motors that sit in the trailer/are ready to install. All have balanced assemblies from Brian at BDC. All run the higher oil pressure regulator, new oil pumps, new oil control rings, irons and housings that are well within tolerances so we can make near maximum compression and therefore consistant power that allows us to compare apples to apples. Consistant parts gets us consistant results.

NOW......As we continue our second on track test with the second bridgeport, we have the parts for the PPort that is yet to get started. Same new irons and obviously brand new 85 rotor housings. All the same rotating parts of a stock RX-8 will be used.

How am I doing so far? Clear things up? That PPort engine is running on a different thread. This is the Bridgeported thread. Sorry for any confusion. Too many threads going right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bridgeported engine results