Series II ECU Tuning - Page 44 - RX8Club.com



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #1076  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come from FD RX7s, so please excuse any of my ignorance. I've been trying to read a lot here.

I'm considering a long tube header of some sort. I don't know if that's worth a tune, but I also would like to increase OMP injection, have throttle tuning, and disable CELs if necessary. Is it better to just leave the tune alone and premix instead?
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #1077  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,962
Thanked 150 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
I come from FD RX7s, so please excuse any of my ignorance. I've been trying to read a lot here.

I'm considering a long tube header of some sort. I don't know if that's worth a tune, but I also would like to increase OMP injection, have throttle tuning, and disable CELs if necessary. Is it better to just leave the tune alone and premix instead?
The header itself wont change anything that needs tuning . If you put an intake on it ... that would mess up the tune .

OMP rate on the s2 seems to be fine from what I've seen here and premix isn't beneficial unless you use a high dose of it . (100:1)
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #1078  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
The header itself wont change anything that needs tuning . If you put an intake on it ... that would mess up the tune .

OMP rate on the s2 seems to be fine from what I've seen here and premix isn't beneficial unless you use a high dose of it . (100:1)
Thank you for your help. I used to premix 128:1 in my FD all the time, so I'm used to mixing quite a bit per tank.

I only plan to do full bolt-ons. Would I really be missing out on anything without an intake and tune, or would the header and mid-pipe alone give me all the perceivable benefits? I can learn to tune this car too if it would benefit me, but I don't have as much time to data log and adjust as I used to, much less adjust to a new learning curve.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #1079  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,962
Thanked 150 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
Thank you for your help. I used to premix 128:1 in my FD all the time, so I'm used to mixing quite a bit per tank.

I only plan to do full bolt-ons. Would I really be missing out on anything without an intake and tune, or would the header and mid-pipe alone give me all the perceivable benefits? I can learn to tune this car too if it would benefit me, but I don't have as much time to data log and adjust as I used to, much less adjust to a new learning curve.
Removing the cat gives you the most benefit , although you wont feel anything . It's been shown many times over that the effect of every bolt on known to man is .... negligible . Intakes do very little and a tune doesn't do a lot either . Add everything together and you do get a slightly quicker car but the cost per hp is ridiculous.
You would do the exhaust for tone more than power.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #1080  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal/LA Metro
Posts: 242
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Guys, what is the minimum AFR or lambda that the WB O2 sensor will register?
Jastreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #1081  
Koi no Ousama
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 264 Times in 218 Posts
10.8 - 11.0 or so I think
TeamRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #1082  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal/LA Metro
Posts: 242
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks, it appears that I'm running very rich when in open loop under heavy throttle. My AFR is hitting the limit of the sensor at 10.9. Stock tune. I'll post logs in a more appropriate place as soon as get to downloading them. Something funky may be going on.
Jastreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #1083  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 372
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastreb View Post
Thanks, it appears that I'm running very rich when in open loop under heavy throttle. My AFR is hitting the limit of the sensor at 10.9. Stock tune. I'll post logs in a more appropriate place as soon as get to downloading them. Something funky may be going on.
What is your battery voltage before startup, Secondary o2 temp before and during the wonky, batt voltage, and Alternator Duty Cycle around that time?

Sec o2 is right next to the fireball maker and despite decent insulation, sometimes it goes all Kenny Loggins off the aircraft carrier....
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #1084  
Koi no Ousama
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 264 Times in 218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badinfluence View Post
What is your battery voltage before startup, Secondary o2 temp before and during the wonky, batt voltage, and Alternator Duty Cycle around that time?

Sec o2 is right next to the fireball maker and despite decent insulation, sometimes it goes all Kenny Loggins off the aircraft carrier....
Did they rewrite the English language because this is like the 3rd or 4th post in a row from you that I can't decipher into any logical meaning? Or maybe you're from a different planet ...
TeamRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #1085  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Gainesville, GA
Posts: 104
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are there any tuners doing e-tunes through mazdaedit or versatune? I don't really have the time to learn enough to be comfortable tuning myself. I just want the car to be as reliable as possible for track and street use, and to get rid of the CEL codes for air pump and cat delete.

I tried searching but only came up with accessport e-tuning.

edit: or if I just went ahead and got the software, how difficult would it be to install and make just a couple changes to start with such as disabling the cat related CELs and lowering radiator fan turn on temps?

Last edited by eyeguy; 02-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #1086  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,962
Thanked 150 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy View Post
Are there any tuners doing e-tunes through mazdaedit or versatune? I don't really have the time to learn enough to be comfortable tuning myself. I just want the car to be as reliable as possible for track and street use, and to get rid of the CEL codes for air pump and cat delete.

I tried searching but only came up with accessport e-tuning.

edit: or if I just went ahead and got the software, how difficult would it be to install and make just a couple changes to start with such as disabling the cat related CELs and lowering radiator fan turn on temps?
I'm sure you could do that no problem at all ...it's only when you start trying to tune air fuel ratios that things get a little tricky .
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #1087  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I was thinking of trying the versatuner but now am likely going with the mazdaedit based on what i've read. Anyone have any opinions in either direction? Probably only tuning for efficiency as I wont be doing much in the way of mods to the renesis except some bolt ons.
jetfan8178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #1088  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Gainesville, GA
Posts: 104
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfan8178 View Post
Well, I was thinking of trying the versatuner but now am likely going with the mazdaedit based on what i've read. Anyone have any opinions in either direction? Probably only tuning for efficiency as I wont be doing much in the way of mods to the renesis except some bolt ons.

I had a mazda 2 that was e-tuned with mazdaedit, so I have some experience with that. I remember it being a pain to get the software and ecu to shake hands, and that it didn't seen very intuitive. Thankfully my e-tuner had good instructions and it went well, despite having to update the software during the tuning process. Versatuner seems like it might be more intuitive, though there isn't as much info online about it (at least with the rx8). I'm curious as to why you are leaning towards mazdaedit?
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #1089  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy View Post
I had a mazda 2 that was e-tuned with mazdaedit, so I have some experience with that. I remember it being a pain to get the software and ecu to shake hands, and that it didn't seen very intuitive. Thankfully my e-tuner had good instructions and it went well, despite having to update the software during the tuning process. Versatuner seems like it might be more intuitive, though there isn't as much info online about it (at least with the rx8). I'm curious as to why you are leaning towards mazdaedit?
Honestly, cost. 550 bucks is hefty for a car I bought for a couple grand and plan to change out the engine in. Especially for a product that's so new on the market no one really knows about it. High end Ill spend 400 bucks on the mazdaedit and other accessories I need to get it going and it seems to have alot more data and support available out there.
jetfan8178 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 port auto/maunal bosstin87 Series I Tech Garage 8 10-05-2015 06:52 AM
RX8 dies on idle. Can this be caused by a dirty air box, filter, intake? Danield97 Series I Trouble Shooting 1 09-30-2015 05:59 PM
{ FS } 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3 MINT! RARE! LOW MILES! jasonrxeight RX-8's For Sale/Wanted 2 09-30-2015 01:53 PM
{ FS } Series 2 Fuel Pump Shumster RX-8 Parts For Sale/Wanted 0 09-10-2015 11:05 PM


Tags
1000, accessport, aem, alabama, beau, brown, cobb, denso, dptune, dyno, dynotronics, ecu, gen, gtr, hp, ii, mazdaspeed, push, rx8, series, texas, tune, tuning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.