Notices
RX-8 Show and Shine Discussion of car care products and techniques

Meguiars Products....EXcellent

Old 06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
  #101  
Registered
 
MazdaJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 896
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice clean car!
MazdaJeff is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM
  #102  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let your wax dry before you take it off and apply a thin layer or it will be too hard to remove.

Try NXT also very easy to use and apply. Looks nice and glossy...
Leesha is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
  #103  
Man, We Ain't Found Sh*t!
 
bigireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
threw another coat on this weekend.. much easier to buff out with a thin layer.. and when i was washing the car, the previous coat had water and dirt just falling off the car.. almost like i didn't even need soap.. this wax is great.. also after waxing, wash your applicator with dish soap.. make sure to rinse it thoroughly.. it will look like you never waxed anything with it.. thanks again leesha!
bigireland is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
  #104  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: K-Town, WI
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been detailing my car since I got it in '06 at the rate of once a week. However, I had been using Nano1 spray wax for the first 6 months. I switched to the NXT 2.0 Paste and will never use anything else. My question is, is once a week too much for the NXT 2.0 Wax and will the build up become a problem? The car still looks amazing and shines like no other. Thanks in advance.
WaRdaWg3 is offline  
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
  #105  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WaRdaWg3 View Post
I have been detailing my car since I got it in '06 at the rate of once a week. However, I had been using Nano1 spray wax for the first 6 months. I switched to the NXT 2.0 Paste and will never use anything else. My question is, is once a week too much for the NXT 2.0 Wax and will the build up become a problem? The car still looks amazing and shines like no other. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't wax my car that often. We have a clear coat finish so it doesn't need to be done that often.

If I were you I'd do it maybe once a month if you park outdoors and underground or garage maybe once every couple of months.

bigireland: Sure no probs...I didn't know all this stuff until I bought my 8 so I'm fairly new to it all also plus the Meguiars website says it all...

Last edited by Leesha; 07-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
  #106  
is adjusting valve lash
 
TrochoidMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: hollywooood!
Posts: 1,060
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^hmmm... read only the last post update,

Leesha,but what i'm wondering , it doesn't hurt to wax anytime you've got dirt/dust piling up does it?

i wax 1-2 times a month, and i dust the car 2-3 days or whenever needed for my garaged 8.

sounds overkill... but i bust out the quikdetailer when water dries on the car.

so would waxing it after dusting be harmful... or just overkill to be waxing more than once a month?

thanks
TrochoidMagic is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
  #107  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrochoidMagic View Post
^^hmmm... read only the last post update,

Leesha,but what i'm wondering , it doesn't hurt to wax anytime you've got dirt/dust piling up does it?

i wax 1-2 times a month, and i dust the car 2-3 days or whenever needed for my garaged 8.

sounds overkill... but i bust out the quikdetailer when water dries on the car.

so would waxing it after dusting be harmful... or just overkill to be waxing more than once a month?

thanks
No need to wax that often... Over time you will dull your finish... I'm no pro but Meguiars know best...lol.. Dust doesn't need to be waxed off...just washed off. Clay barring will take off build-up and residue & waxing will keep it protected from build up.

Last edited by Leesha; 07-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM
  #108  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE / Henrico Co. VA
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a bottle of the Meguiar's Plastx at Pep Boys yesterday. My headlights looked like they were fogged on the inside (where the bulbs are) but I figured it couldn't hurt to try the Plastx and see if they cleaned up.

This stuff is AMAZING. I buffed each headlight with a wax applicator pad (after wiping with a wet towel) for about five minutes, wiped it off, and my headlights looked brand new. I was SHOCKED, and needless to say, very happy that I was wrong about the marks being on the outside of the plastic.

I would highly recommend plastx.

I've had the NXT2.0 sitting in my car supply bin for two weeks now, but it hasn't been cool enough for me to wax. I want to get it done this weekend, and if the Plastx is any indicator, I will be very happy with the results.
Myriad is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
  #109  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wax it in the evening that's what I do... There is no sun beaming down on the paint's surface.
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
  #110  
CraigRX8
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, northern ireland
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get rid of the holograms in the first pic
CraigRX8 is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 AM
  #111  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigRX8 View Post
Did you get rid of the holograms in the first pic
No...the dealer installed my Mskit for me and it came without the emblem & I told them to just keep it off.
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM
  #112  
White is purdy...
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 656
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrochoidMagic View Post
^^hmmm... read only the last post update,

Leesha,but what i'm wondering , it doesn't hurt to wax anytime you've got dirt/dust piling up does it?

i wax 1-2 times a month, and i dust the car 2-3 days or whenever needed for my garaged 8.

sounds overkill... but i bust out the quikdetailer when water dries on the car.

so would waxing it after dusting be harmful... or just overkill to be waxing more than once a month?

thanks
I used to wax my 93 Taurus multiple times a week, for about 3 summers. The shine on that baby was incredible. It was blindingly reflective at night. Seriously, you couldn't look @ the paint in the sun cuz it hurt your eyes. Waxing too often isn't going to damage the paint, yes it's overkill, but it's not going to do any harm. I used to never wash that car, if it got dirty I would wax it. It basically comes down to: how much time do you want to spend waxing, and how much $ do you want to spend on wax? (one can of carnauba wax will last a REALLY long time, though, so it's really not about the $)
onefatsurfer is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
  #113  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE / Henrico Co. VA
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leesha View Post
Wax it in the evening that's what I do... There is no sun beaming down on the paint's surface.

Yeah, I waxed it last Saturday early in the morning - it turned out okay, but I need to clay really badly, so that's probally most of the reason I didn't see as much shine as I thought I would.
Myriad is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
  #114  
CraigRX8
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, northern ireland
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No...the dealer installed my Mskit for me and it came without the emblem & I told them to just keep it off.
No thats not what i mean



you see how in your pic the light is not focused its not like a blur or 'hologram' effect. Usually caused my machine polishing or a strong polish being used. Well its just another paint defect like swirl, micromaring etc etc
You see in the following picture the light is not quite focused one hundred percent and the paint still has imperfections.....



WHen the strong light is on it, it should look like this....




Here is a picture of the paintwork before correction



I am not trying to put your work down. What you have done with scratch X is nothing short of excellent. Esp by hand.

and on my car

Before:


After
CraigRX8 is offline  
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 AM
  #115  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ummm I don't see the diff... see that's what I was trying to show...the difference between the 2. You can see it in person but in a picture it is difficult.
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 AM
  #116  
CraigRX8
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, northern ireland
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You see how the lights in the picture appear extremely bright and all you can see is the light and not the lightsource....This is known as a hologram. In the second picture of my example you can see how the lights become clear and visible this is the paint imperfection away.

You see where i have highlighted. In your before picture you see a strong hologram present, after your 2 coats of scratchx you can see its becoming clearer but not quite there.....



Do you understand now?
CraigRX8 is offline  
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
  #117  
White is purdy...
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 656
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the last 2 pictures show it better. by being clearer and having a better reflection, you can really see the tiny particles in the paint, and the metallic aspect of it seems to pop more
onefatsurfer is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
  #118  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigRX8 View Post
You see how the lights in the picture appear extremely bright and all you can see is the light and not the lightsource....This is known as a hologram. In the second picture of my example you can see how the lights become clear and visible this is the paint imperfection away.

You see where i have highlighted. In your before picture you see a strong hologram present, after your 2 coats of scratchx you can see its becoming clearer but not quite there.....



Do you understand now?
Sure I understand... I'm not dumb... lol Thanks for explaining what you meant...

I see what your talking about now...the lights are clear and not foggy...just say it in plain language...
Leesha is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
  #119  
Registered
 
A.Mair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,623
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i clay barred my car again today...... super shiny





here i managed to get the truck in focus my 8 was so shiny



and look at the reflection here!

A.Mair is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 AM
  #120  
View at your own Risk :)
Thread Starter
 
Leesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow DonJM...That looks totally amazing!! Very nice and shiny. I haven't clayed mine yet... I will though...soon.
Leesha is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM
  #121  
Zoom Zoom
 
Gyro_Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 550
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


S P E C T A C U L A R!!

I wish our Winning Blues came out like that in our club show & shine workshop!
Nicely done!
Gyro_Bot is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
  #122  
Registered
 
A.Mair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,623
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys! it sucks in vegas now though, it was really dusty after, i already have a lot of dust on it!
A.Mair is offline  
Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
  #123  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought an 08 Luxury model Black (Australia) I've always used their quick wax (Spray). Is there much difference between the liquid wax and the spray? Trying to avoid swirl marks in the paint
adza22 is offline  
Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
  #124  
Enthusiast
 
AJ's Shinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LAS VEGAS
Posts: 1,145
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw DonJuanMairs car up close yesterday in front of the Tanning Factory and it was very shiny and very clean.
AJ's Shinka is offline  
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM
  #125  
Man, We Ain't Found Sh*t!
 
bigireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I bought a bottle of the Meguiar's Plastx at Pep Boys yesterday. My headlights looked like they were fogged on the inside (where the bulbs are) but I figured it couldn't hurt to try the Plastx and see if they cleaned up.

This stuff is AMAZING. I buffed each headlight with a wax applicator pad (after wiping with a wet towel) for about five minutes, wiped it off, and my headlights looked brand new. I was SHOCKED, and needless to say, very happy that I was wrong about the marks being on the outside of the plastic.

I would highly recommend plastx.

I've had the NXT2.0 sitting in my car supply bin for two weeks now, but it hasn't been cool enough for me to wax. I want to get it done this weekend, and if the Plastx is any indicator, I will be very happy with the results.
i picked up some plastx last week after reading your post.. my wife and i were outside one day looking at the headlights and she swore that yellowish stains were on the inside.. i bet her $10 that they weren't.. well today, just finished washing/waxing the 8 and to make a long story short, that bottle of plastx paid for itself.. stuff works great!
bigireland is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Meguiars Products....EXcellent


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.