TurboXS introduces Garage Line Headers - Page 5 - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > Vendors and Group Buys > Vendor Classifieds
Reload this Page >

TurboXS introduces Garage Line Headers

Notices
Vendor Classifieds For our approved Vendors to post their for sale threads

TurboXS introduces Garage Line Headers

Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
  #101  
RX8Club.com Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 left in house ALL
TurboXS.com is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
  #102  
RX8Club.com Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have SOLD OUT of the Garage Line Header

They should be back in house in 2 weeks. PM me so you can be the first of the lot to get yours when they come in!!!
TurboXS.com is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
  #103  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was wondering. How long should it take for a muffler shop with a lift, to install this header?
van is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
  #104  
Modulated Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
dannobre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Smallville
Posts: 12,714
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
It takes about an hour start to finish..you have to remove passenger side motor mount and loosen the drivers side top bolt....push the motor over...n then it's fairly straight forward re/re of the manifold....as long as you get the O2 sensor out easily
dannobre is offline  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  #105  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only an hour? I'm getting install quotes from some local shops stating 3-4 hours minimum at around $350-$380+ which doesn't make any sense.
van is offline  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
  #106  
Modulated Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
dannobre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Smallville
Posts: 12,714
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Im far from superman and it didnt take me that long....2 if they don't know what they are doing cause it is the first time
dannobre is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
  #107  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannobre View Post
Im far from superman and it didnt take me that long....2 if they don't know what they are doing cause it is the first time
Uh, 1 hour?

No way, unless you have some secret method. I just discovered it won't go in without also removing the midpipe - though maybe I can shove it back enough. Otherwise the two crossbraces and rear O2 sensor gotta come off too. This header is much "fluffier" than the manifold so it won't go in through the same gap that the manifold came out of. The Racing Beat instructions don't refer to that step, so perhaps their's is more compact. Of course working without a lift makes things slower and more difficult. Right now, $300 for an install sounds like a bargain.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
  #108  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ I think the aprox. 1 hour install is using a lift and I believe he's done it before. I contacted RB and they also said 1-2 hours on a lift. If you look at the RB header pics here and here, it looks even more 'fluffier' less compact, as the center and end pipes seem to extend outwards, way more than the garageline.

Were you able to install yours?
van is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
  #109  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by van View Post
^ I think the aprox. 1 hour install is using a lift and I believe he's done it before. I contacted RB and they also said 1-2 hours on a lift. If you look at the RB header pics here and here, it looks even more 'fluffier' less compact, as the center and end pipes seem to extend outwards, way more than the garageline.

Were you able to install yours?
Yes, finally. The Law of Unintended Consequences kept me from raising the engine enough, which I think, caused problems. I'm running the Mazmart oil pressure mod, which means there's a taller Series II filter on top of a Prosport adapter. This blocked the engine against the firewall when lifted.

However, the rear header mount doesn't fit well, see pic. Either the angle, some weld goop, threads, or something kept the stock bolt from threading into the nut properly. I had to use a 5/16-18 bolt to fit through the nut. It's not a show-stopper, but is annoying.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 AM
  #110  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ How long did it take you to do the install? Also, do you feel any difference in power (and is it louder)?
van is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
  #111  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by van View Post
^ How long did it take you to do the install? Also, do you feel any difference in power (and is it louder)?
I'll take the Fifth on the first question. It took me at least two hours to jack up all four corners of the car, put them on jackstands, and figure out how and with what to lift the engine. The front, middle and rear crossbraces have to come off to be able to get the midpipe out of the way. Etc.

It won't be running for another few days until other work is finished.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
  #112  
Turbo Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
lol wut, why did it take you 2 hours to lift the car to jack stands?

its like 3 minutes a corner for me, then I use a 14 in long 2x4 to lift the motor with the same jack that i lifted the car with.

Motor mounts loosened within 30 minutes and motor up in another 5.

You can get the bottom cross members off in about 15 minutes.

Then you can remove the stock header.

I would say 2 hours and you should be good.

Note* I use impact tools
Chris is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
  #113  
wcs
no agenda
iTrader: (2)
 
wcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,057
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
lol wut, why did it take you 2 hours to lift the car to jack stands?

its like 3 minutes a corner for me, then I use a 14 in long 2x4 to lift the motor with the same jack that i lifted the car with.

Motor mounts loosened within 30 minutes and motor up in another 5.

You can get the bottom cross members off in about 15 minutes.

Then you can remove the stock header.

I would say 2 hours and you should be good.

Note* I use impact tools
Agreed, however it took me a bit longer.

I had problems with the motor mount, that bitch was on there tight!

I also had a manifold bolt strip the housing threads on the way out.
Thanks god I own a tap and die set

edit ----=
I'm also slower due to beerrrzzzzz
wcs is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
  #114  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
lol wut, why did it take you 2 hours to lift the car to jack stands?

Note* I use impact tools
Good for you. I do not wish to engage in a contest of "who's THE MAN". I do not have impact tools. I do not have optimal equipment, like appropriate hydraulic jacks. To do one corner, stock scissors jack up, jackstand, jack down, 2x6 underneath, jack up, jackstand, more 2x6 underneath, jack up, jackstand. Etc. I do not have a dedicated car shop (tools have to be retrieved from the basement), nor have I done this job before (though I have done many others). Finally, I make no claims about being fast, but I suspect most hobbiest first-timers to this job won't complete it in 2 hours.

YMMV.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
  #115  
Turbo Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wasn't trying to say I am "The man"... I was just curious why it took you 2 hours to lift the car up to stands. Makes sense now, scissor jack is not optimal to use.

I was merely justifying the 2 hour estimated install time.
Chris is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
  #116  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I wasn't trying to say I am "The man"... I was just curious why it took you 2 hours to lift the car up to stands. Makes sense now, scissor jack is not optimal to use.

I was merely justifying the 2 hour estimated install time.
Okay! A pro or pro/am is most always gonna be much faster.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #117  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had the dealer install mine a few hours ago, and it took them 1.5 hours. Of all places, they were by far the cheapest.

With this header installed there is some noticeable power above 4500 RPM, and is a lot louder in the high RPM's as well. It also seems to backfire more often too. (I have a full TXS exhaust with race pipe with MM tune)

I also notice there is a slight burning type smell inside the cabin (as noted in the RB instructions), but hopefully it will dissipate after a few drive cycles.
van is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
  #118  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by van View Post
Just had the dealer install mine a few hours ago, and it took them 1.5 hours. Of all places, they were by far the cheapest.

With this header installed there is some noticeable power above 4500 RPM, and is a lot louder in the high RPM's as well. It also seems to backfire more often too. (I have a full TXS exhaust with race pipe with MM tune)

I also notice there is a slight burning type smell inside the cabin (as noted in the RB instructions), but hopefully it will dissipate after a few drive cycles.
+1. Perhaps I should note that the header comes with bolts, instead of studs, for the connection to the air pump pipe. On the front one, the bolt is too long to press on the flange - I had to use a shorter one to get it to seal.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
  #119  
Turbo Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you are running a full exhaust including header and no cat, then why continue to run the air pump? Cap that bung off and remove that ugly pump from your engine bay
Chris is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
  #120  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you are running a full exhaust including header and no cat, then why continue to run the air pump? Cap that bung off and remove that ugly pump from your engine bay
'Cause I am running a cat (high-flow, metal substrate). I'd rather smell my date's perfume, etc, than stinky rotary exhaust.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM
  #121  
Turbo Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I see.


Your going to blow through that pretty quickly with your new headers.
Chris is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
  #122  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You're going to blow through that pretty quickly with your new headers.
Maybe. I've got 10k miles or so on this cat, still no CEL and it looks brand new inside - so far. Magnaflow #59959. I also have an EGT probe mounted right in front to monitor temps going into it. Will see if that changes significantly with the header. I suspect the temps will be lower due to increased heat loss compared to the manifold.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 PM
  #123  
van
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to update.

There is a slight hiss noise or 'sssss' coming from the header when you accelerate. I also had noticed this 'hiss' noise when I had a header installed in my previous car. A quick google search tells me it's normal with an aftermarket header - due to it not having a heat shield and thinner walls in the runners.

The loud drone noise when cruising at highway speeds is now noticeably quieter.

Also that 'burning smell' when the header was first installed, is now gone.
van is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
  #124  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by van View Post
Just to update.

There is a slight hiss noise or 'sssss' coming from the header when you accelerate. I also had noticed this 'hiss' noise when I had a header installed in my previous car. A quick google search tells me it's normal with an aftermarket header - due to it not having a heat shield and thinner walls in the runners.
I'm not hearing any hiss at all, in spite of having no firewall insulation. You sure there's no leak? If they didn't use a short bolt as described in post #118, then there could be an exhaust leak where the air injection pipe connects.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
  #125  
RX8Club.com Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ALL we got 2 in house. We had a lot of 10 and due to ALL the pre orders they have been spoken for and shipped out. WE HAVE 2 LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete your RX8-CBE and unleash the amazing sound that is hiding in your car :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$250+ shipping!! Shipping isnt that bad ALL.
TurboXS.com is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TurboXS introduces Garage Line Headers


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.