Notices
New Member Forum A place for new members to get their feet wet

Trials and tribulations with my RX8.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trials and tribulations with my RX8.

just got my 3rd rx8. ive had 2 04's and the current one i own is a 05 6speed. i will be posting
everything ive been through so far with my current 8 and how i fixed it and so on.
and ill probably be posting a rebuild as well. this is a new account but ive had another one previously, lost the login info. ive been apart of the forum and have been lurking and reading for years.
my friend rebuilds rotaries, so ive learned alot from him, but he lives in Denver now...so ill be doing a rebuild myself. ive been researching for a long long time on rotaries and rebuilds. watching videos and reading manuals. aaron cake has taught me ALOT with his videos (he is the ****) as well with a little hands on with my friend that moved off.

i got an oil change the week after i got it.
flushed the radiator.
at this point the car runs, revs and starts good..hot and cold. 45,875 miles the day i drove off the lot. paid 6,900 for it. garage kept, not a scratch on it.
drove it to huntsville to hang with my lady and walk around down town huntsville. drove home. car still runs great.
drove it to huntsville again 2 weeks later. it drove great all the way there and back just fine. woke up for work the next day and it started up hesitantly. i was thinking maybe the battery ir soemthing. wasnt sure. but it drovend reved up fine. stopped at the store and ehen i came out to the car and tried to crank...it wouldnt start for like 30, 40 min. just kept turning over without actually catching/firing up. drove it home and started messing with it to dind the issue. pulled the plugs and the front rotors plugs were literally broke. the tips of the plugs that the wires clip onto were still inside the wire when i pulled them off. never seen this before.

front rotor left
rear rotor right

ordered ngk plugs and i think duralast wires and coils that day and got them friday. i was sure this was my issue. got em installed and tried to start it up. still hesitant to start. drove it to the gas station and tried to refire... same issue. i barley got it to start. had the battery tested and the alternator. all good.. well the battery had 30% life on it but still 12v when off and 14 when running. or at least thats what i was told.
got under the car to look at the starter and it was the old one. i was sure once again that that was my issue. got a starter. got it on. same issue. the starter is a 2.0 kw starter. the old was a 1.6. so i figured it would solve my issue. but nope. i couldnt afford to get the nice starter off mazmart like i did for my 04. but assumed it would work for a bit.
every since then ive been trying to figure out what the hell ia wrong with it.
ive pulled sensors off and cleaned them. cleaned the maf sensor, cleaned throttle body. drove it here and there. still drives and idles just fine. still bad hot starts. i naturally want to think i couldnt develope a hot start issue in a matter of 2.5 weeks. the car ran great at first. i assumed it was soemthing else. drove it to work. came out and it started up hesitantly like it had been. i was an eighth of a mile from my house. it died at the redlight before my street. pushed it out into the parkinglot and longboarded home for about 30 min. came back and i was trying to get it to start and kept getting a wiff of gas. sniffed around and found out my pump was leaking at top lile they all do. i already had the back seat out because i was going to test fuel pressure. so i guess thats why i smelled it that time. no telling how long it had been leaking. finally got it on and when i got it
Old 10-03-2017, 04:58 PM
SARX Legend

Received 453 Likes on 367 Posts
Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 AM
40th anniversary Edition

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts
Get the fuel pump recalls done. That should give you a new assembly top for free, as well as new fuel pump resin rings and new tank insulation pads.

The best price for a nice (new ,not refurbished) Series 2 starter (which is the best, and a direct swap into Series 1) is at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OEM-12V-S...0271/186582984

Last edited by gwilliams6; 10-07-2017 at 08:30 PM.