Turblown 400hp s2 - RX8Club.com



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Turblown 400hp s2

Found this interesting clip on youtube today originally posted a month ago. Figured Iíd share with you guys
Jdmx13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #2  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
There is already a thread on this but what's interesting about more BS dyno claims? Turdblown also claimed the highest HP S1, which promptly ate itself in short order. No turbo RX-8 involving Turdblown has seen anything resembling reliability. Also this shop doing the build is/was not Turdblown but they were involved in the build and tuning IIRC. getting a Turbo renny to 350-400 is not that hard without any give a ***** on the dyno. Building a reliable one is the feat that is next to impossible.

Either way, any claims they make can't be trusted, there is a reason they are MIA from this forum.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 01-12-2018 at 10:33 AM.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #3  
RIDE HARD
iTrader: (9)
 
200.mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BALLS DEEP
Posts: 4,662
Thanked 341 Times in 302 Posts
dont they get you 500whp out of the box tho?
200.mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #4  
Koi no Ousama
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 264 Times in 218 Posts
The car was built and dyno’d by Lucky7 Racing, 9k. Turblown supplied the turbo system and some support stuff, but only did a rough base tune on the car remotely by internet while it was on the dyno. I think it has some potential to reach 500 hp for sure. It won’t be zippy on the boost with the big turbo, but the PR (exhaust backpressure) will be a lot more reasonable which might help it handle the power increase. I’m a bit surprised they haven’t tried to tune it more already. Been watching for updates, only crickets though ... but that has nothing to do with Turblown. The owner and Lucky7 are in control of that decision


.

Last edited by TeamRX8; 01-12-2018 at 01:00 PM.
TeamRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRX8 For This Useful Post:
jonnyrx7 (05-09-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
There is already a thread on this but what's interesting about more BS dyno claims? Turdblown also claimed the highest HP S1, which promptly ate itself in short order. No turbo RX-8 involving Turdblown has seen anything resembling reliability. Also this shop doing the build is/was not Turdblown but they were involved in the build and tuning IIRC. getting a Turbo renny to 350-400 is not that hard without any give a ***** on the dyno. Building a reliable one is the feat that is next to impossible.

Either way, any claims they make can't be trusted, there is a reason they are MIA from this forum.
Oh wow thanks for the info man, interesting to know that this isnít a 100% turblown venture, they sure made it seem that way but given their track record the numbers they claimed really seemed inflated at best. Me personally I just like to see that things are happening period in the S2 side of the community. Regardless of who is trying and the reputation that is associated with them, If something positive comes out of this and benefits the community I certainly have no problems with it. We have our hurdles for sure but who knows the stars may align And give us a breakthrough.
Jdmx13b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmx13b For This Useful Post:
jonnyrx7 (05-09-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #6  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRX8 View Post
The car was built and dynoíd by Lucky7 Racing, 9k. Turblown supplied the turbo system and some support stuff, but only did a rough base tune on the car remotely by internet while it was on the dyno. I think it has some potential to reach 500 hp for sure. It wonít be zippy on the boost with the big turbo, but the PR (exhaust backpressure) will be a lot more reasonable which might help it handle the power increase. Iím a bit surprised they havenít tried to tune it more already. Been watching for updates, only crickets though ... but that has nothing to do with Turblown. The owner and Lucky7 are in control of that decision


.
Very interesting point you brought up with the turbo, the boost did come on very gradually, which certainly seems more feasible because of the exhaust port design. And thank you for clarifying further on the project!
Jdmx13b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmx13b For This Useful Post:
jonnyrx7 (05-09-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #7  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,927
Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRX8 View Post
I think it has some potential to reach 500 hp for sure.
.


I wouldn't be surprised if they already blew the engine and the project has been canned.

Last edited by Brettus; 01-12-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettus For This Useful Post:
ASH8 (01-12-2018), yomomspimp06 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #8  
Koi no Ousama
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 264 Times in 218 Posts
I’m just going to say that for sure Turblown dug a hole here for themselves many years back, but then I’ve also seen a number real home run jobs come out of their shop over the last few years and frankly companies and people can change. For those members here who feel like they were burned, I understand they may never get past that. I’ve felt that way with a few companies/people too.

However, while I haven’t had them do any fab work for me personally, I’ve seen some fairly nice things come out of their shop. Also both Elliott and Shawn have been providing me with great support and service for the parts and equipment I’ve purchased from then including a lot of setup info for the new Adaptronic modular ecu and the support hardware and sensors I needed for it. I don’t have any issue working with Turblown. In fact they know a lot about setting up rotary engines for FI. I think you’re missing out on a great resource by not involving them. That’s how I see it anyway ...

I’m not really a grudge person though. At some point you just have to accept it for what it was and move on imo ...



.

Last edited by TeamRX8; 01-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.
TeamRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRX8 For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (01-15-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they already blew the engine and the project has been canned.
It still runs, just look on instagram. Waiting on a DBW module from adaptronic HQ to move the project farther forward.
shawnm565 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shawnm565 For This Useful Post:
jonnyrx7 (05-09-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #10  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,927
Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnm565 View Post
It still runs, just look on instagram. Waiting on a DBW module from adaptronic HQ to move the project farther forward.
Sorry to be negative .... comes from all the years of disappointing results . I would like to see it make some decent power but what I've learnt about the Renesis has made me very skeptical.

Is that a Dynojet they used for those runs ?
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #11  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
Sorry to be negative .... comes from all the years of disappointing results . I would like to see it make some decent power but what I've learnt about the Renesis has made me very skeptical.

Is that a Dynojet they used for those runs ?
Yes its a dynojet, and fyi we had nothing to with the calibration of their software/dyno. We were only connected to the tuning labtop. You can probably ask lucky7 for the dyno file which shows the correction factor, thats the only way I know how to fake a dynojet dyno. I'm not an expert in that field, as we have never faked a dyno reading.
shawnm565 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shawnm565 For This Useful Post:
jonnyrx7 (05-09-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #12  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,927
Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnm565 View Post
Yes its a dynojet, and fyi we had nothing to with the calibration of their software/dyno. We were only connected to the tuning labtop. You can probably ask lucky7 for the dyno file which shows the correction factor, thats the only way I know how to fake a dynojet dyno. I'm not an expert in that field, as we have never faked a dyno reading.
I wasn't trying to imply the dyno was faked in any way , seems totally legit to me.

It actually seems low if anything given all the information supplied :

1/Dynojet normally reads 10% higher than other brands
2/E85 normally is worth a few horsepower
3/They ran it up to 19psi (tapering down to 16 I think). 16psi is about where others (including myself) have made 400whp on slightly smaller turbos
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettus For This Useful Post:
shawnm565 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #13  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
A tiger never changes his stripes, a liar will always be a liar. You can bet on that.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #14  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 17,927
Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
A tiger never changes his stripes, a liar will always be a liar. You can bet on that.
My BS detector is pretty good when it comes to dynos , mainly because I've been on so many and tried so much . I see no problem with the above dyno other than the fact it's on a Dynojet .
Same deal on a dyno dynamics would be mid 300s , which is actually quite a low number for that level of boost . I wonder if the APV was closed as was suggested originally.

Last edited by Brettus; 02-12-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 AM   #15  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turblown's in Minnesota...Im in Los Angeles. As you can see in the video.. its the owner of lucky 7 and myself on the dyno. I've worked with Lucky 7 Racing for almost 10 years on my FD build (@trmnl7)... Turblown assisted with this build with my turbo kit, ecu as well as other parts... and flew in to do a basemap to get us moving. I've overall had an extremely positive experience working with them and appreciate how serious they took this project by flying out across the USA on their dime to assist and make sure I was happy with both of my builds (1 of which their only contribution was my ECU). All primary fabrication and install was done in-house in LA. Lucky7's dyno in LA is used widely by Nelson at RRR, DK at Garage Life, Kyle Mohan, and many more.

Should check out the build and my build history. I spent time looking at each of yours before even tackling the Renesis II over doing a swap on my flight home from FD Japan.

Nothing but positive words for Turblown, Turblown's System, and Assistance with a serious build.

Internet logic is "because I haven't done it.. it can't be done". 408whp in less than 2 weeks..plus a spare bridge motor within another. Planning, Time Management, and Action. If we burn both motors..good thing REW housings, irons, and rotors are cheaper than Renesis II.

Instead of bashing, it'd be so dope if our small community worked together to push the envelope and learn from each other. Then again... internet logic.
jonnyrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #16  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
What is the current status of this 408WHP RX-8? A 400WHP Renny is nothing new.

And I'm glad you didn't get the shitty end of the stick from turdblown, that makes those of us who did feel so much better.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 05-07-2018 at 07:33 AM.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #17  
Registered
iTrader: (12)
 
comebackqid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 952
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This engine blew it has since been rebuilt and is supposedly being broken in and going on the dyno again.

Deadline Set: Taking An RX-8 From Stock To SEMA - Speedhunters

I can probe for further info later this week since I'm in the same county as the shop and they know the guy I'll see what's new with this thing.
comebackqid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #18  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackqid View Post
This engine blew it has since been rebuilt and is supposedly being broken in and going on the dyno again.

Deadline Set: Taking An RX-8 From Stock To SEMA - Speedhunters

I can probe for further info later this week since I'm in the same county as the shop and they know the guy I'll see what's new with this thing.
Lol ok James Bond.

Whats new? I dunno.. Sevenstock, Superill, Toyo Calendar Launch, AutoconLB, AutoconLA, Cars & Coffee on the weekend, Getting Groceries... lol.

Supposedly or Apparently you and no one here follows either build IGs.
jonnyrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #19  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
As long as it looks good to the ricers and can be towed to various events I guess that is all that matters.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #20  
Ultra Noob
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 218
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrx7 View Post
Instead of bashing, it'd be so dope if our small community worked together to push the envelope and learn from each other. Then again... internet logic.
Learn how to blow an engine in 2 weeks? Why not have the builder learn that 408 and decently reliable is achievable and maybe put a little bit of effort trying to replicate that? Especially with the amount of money clearly dumped into the build.

I try not to do much **** talking on here because I'm a hobby car guy, not a mechanic/builder and I don't like to contribute to a caustic forum attitude. However, the only thing to be learned here is that money can buy a whole lot of shiny parts, but it doesn't necessarily buy you a legendary builder.

Great they built an engine in 2 weeks that lasted another 2 weeks (maybe a month I don't actually know other than the rumors). The problem is, we've got cars here that put out the same number and last a reasonable amount of time. If this was a 500hp+ Renesis it would be more worth talking about the accomplishment of hitting that milestone, regardless of blowing up or not. But it's not. It's a car that was slapped together to give the appearance of an accomplishment, that only accomplished exposing the weakness of the platform. It looks great, but the engines don't last. Thanks for contributing to ever growing zeitgeist of "rotaries are unreliable".

Edit:the following was originally stated, but is incorrect "You say you researched his build, but 9ks car put out the same numbers and still runs 40k mi later. Dynos to prove it, and actual video footage of it still running.". How wrong, I'm not sure but his car is turbo'd and is still running. I just don't know the HP figure.

Last edited by bwilk; 05-08-2018 at 12:33 PM.
bwilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #21  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
Well I'm not making 408WHP, but Brettus and others have and for a while at least. I know the owner of the first 400WHP RX-8 and that means dick all because that engine also ate itself in short order so that number means nothing.

But it's the internet and people can claim whatever they want and if they want to create car that looks cool to ricers and also made 400WHP once then they can. To a lot people being on speedhunters means a lot. To me, the fact that the last RX-8 I saw featured on Speedhunters was a complete slow POS means that they all they do is promote fluff.

Personally I think this car is ugly, and I know it doesn't perform and that is all I need to know. But that is just my opinion and we are all allowed to have one here last I checked.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #22  
Ultra Noob
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 218
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Well I'm not making 408WHP, but Brettus and others have and for a while at least. I know the owner of the first 400WHP RX-8 and that means dick all because that engine also ate itself in short order so that number means nothing.

But it's the internet and people can claim whatever they want and if they want to create car that looks cool to ricers and also made 400WHP once then they can. To a lot people being on speedhunters means a lot. To me, the fact that the last RX-8 I saw featured on Speedhunters was a complete slow POS means that they all they do is promote fluff.

Personally I think this car is ugly, and I know it doesn't perform and that is all I need to know. But that is just my opinion and we are all allowed to have one here last I checked.
I thought I saw you in the 400 club on the dyno thread. That's my mistake, but still the rest of the point stands.

Also, I was speaking in generalities for the looks great comment. I know you don't like it. I do, and opinions are just that. I mean more of the general population consensus that the 8 looks good but isn't reliable.

Last edited by bwilk; 05-08-2018 at 12:39 PM.
bwilk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilk For This Useful Post:
9krpmrx8 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #23  
Registered
iTrader: (45)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,730
Thanked 321 Times in 263 Posts
Yep, and a lot of people think RX-8's are ugly. This RX-8 and this whole stupid bolt on fender wide body fad crap drives me nuts. But hey, all you need now days is one good dyno run with nice results and you can live off of that forever in the scene today.
9krpmrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #24  
Registered
iTrader: (12)
 
comebackqid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 952
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrx7 View Post
Lol ok James Bond.

Whats new? I dunno.. Sevenstock, Superill, Toyo Calendar Launch, AutoconLB, AutoconLA, Cars & Coffee on the weekend, Getting Groceries... lol.

Supposedly or Apparently you and no one here follows either build IGs.
Well seven stock was last year so that don't count, hope you make it this year!
Show cars usually get towed to shows and all that other stuff you claim doesn't prove anything.

If you really want to put your money where your mouth is put the car on the dyno show people. most users here are older and have better things to do then follow people on IG. I have an IG and all I see are the same images over and over again. there may be something there but IG as a tool for information is lacking severely, and so are your post there they prove nothing. There are no details!

The reason you're getting so much **** behind this is because you're not showing and proving any of this here you can't expect people to just take your word for it when you have no validity in the community other than a rushed Sema build (not bashing you, or the car. just saying that **** was rushed and you know it.) people in this community want hard details down to the T. They want the good and the bad along with as much detail you can provide. People here are a bit pedantic (meticulous) when it comes to these cars "the devil is in the details"/"God is in the detail".

What I get from this whole situation/build is undertone not do to any individual specifically again just a lack of information.

At the end of the day it's your monkey and you can spank it how you want too. You can disregard the community do to thin skin or nut up and post something significant.
comebackqid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #25  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coming home from work so baffled from some of these responses. I wish I could afford to trailer my cars to shows or own a trailer. The last time these cars saw a trailer was to/from SEMA... SEMA to Sevenstock Overnight... then driven home.

All of these videos/pics driving since sema are on my instagram stories... Events to Gas Stations to Canyons ahead of flying out to Tokyo Auto Salon. Literally up till 72 hours ago cruising PCH. As stated in the article...cars not done yet. Yes, car is definitely going back on the dyno now to begin the next phase of the car... "WHY NOT NOW!" well...while simultaneously preparing my FD for the tail end of time attack season (and testing Turblown's new manifold)... shipping parts for Formula Drift Japan Round 1 this year.... and 2 2018 sema builds. I've got time for you guys though.

Although Instagram is the easiest method of sharing what I'm doing in realtime whilst working 70+ a week...

Dyno sheets? Here you go. Dyno Videos have been on IG for months. I regularly drive this car more than my FD because its comfortable without the racing seats and having AC.

I'm really sorry you guys had bad experiences with Turblown... how that has anything to do with my positive experience using their products.. I have absolutely no idea.

I'm not suggesting this is reliable.. just documenting what I'm doing intentionally to push the limit... 100 back to back runs on a 2009 RX8 with 70K miles I bought a week prior yielded 408whp. 400whp was the limit which and 19psi was the cap, 399whp the goal for the stock motor. Whats the goal for the bridged? 450whp, if we fail.. cool we have a spare. and lastly...Whats the powerplant plan after that? REW, 20B, 2JZ?










lol and as for bizarre motor rumor weirdo keyboard warrior duder...ComeBackQid.

13 magazine covers, 7 SpeedHunters Articles, 1 car in the Petersen for 4 years, 1 car at Tokyo Auto Salon, 1 car at Tsukuba Circuit, 8 SEMA Builds and 10 years daily driving my FD. Aside from the entire Formula Drift Japan season with this past year. Yep, no validity!

But hey... I'll be your huckleberry tho bro! Since Texas is too far... I live 20 minutes away from your friends at DNA Garage (competing shop to L7, which I assume why this has become a thing at all and as all you need is to plant the seed of doubt for rumors to spread right? good job!). I'm very happy to meet you, talk about the build, and take a selfie there for the forums tomorrow anytime between 8am-11am today and also say Hi to Louie before work.

I know its a bit of a drive for you so 3 hours is a wide enough window right? Put your money where your mouth is..well $20 for my gas anyway. If I had someone to drive the RX7, I'd have em bring that too. lol

Last edited by jonnyrx7; 05-09-2018 at 06:14 AM.
jonnyrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyrx7 For This Useful Post:
RX0004 (05-09-2018)
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
400HP LS2 Powered Pontiac Solstice With A Warranty... Pics & Info Inside Transam kid 01 General Automotive 29 11-13-2005 04:28 AM
400hp Solstice headed for production!! ender_okc General Automotive 11 06-17-2005 03:17 AM
2005 GTO = 400hp Truss General Automotive 34 07-11-2004 03:31 PM
New Supra? Could be rebadged as lexus 400hp hybrid or 500hp V8 Slick_Advanced General Automotive 31 04-30-2004 07:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


All content Copyright © 2017 by Internet Brands, Inc.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.