Notices
Series I Trouble Shooting This is the place to learn more about or discuss any issues you're having with your RX-8

Clutch Pedal SNAP OFF 8 Year Warranty-Recall ~~~

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
  #1  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Clutch Pedal SNAP OFF 8 Year Warranty-Recall ~~~

For a while I thought my pedal already *broke* ...

but tonight, yes I finally know how does it feel, I stop, park, try to put it into 1st so I can lock the car, step on the pedal and *snap*, it broke. lol

So yes, it broke in the *right* time. (when im not driving it)

I just made an appointment tomorrow morning thru dealership's online system.

should I drive the car back to home first cuz im not home(at GF's house now)

hmm should I call Mazda now and tow it to the dealership ?



UPDATE :

FOR THOSE WHO GOT A BROKEN CLUTCH PEDAL !

Please report your case to NHTSA at

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Because under normal driving condition, a clutch bracket should NOT break. and imagine if you're in the middle of highway speed, the bracket gave up and locked you in gear and you need to brake fast ...

Also, if you're involve in an accident because of this bracket issue. please give NHTSA a call and tell them the whole story.

Thanks


ATTENTION : Today, 5/10/2009 The Department of Transportation from the government has contacted me about Pictures of the broken bracket. I am trying to find it and send it him. So I suggest whoever have a picture of the broken bracket should contact me first via pm

Update: Oct 06, 2009 NHTSA has "officially" opened the case with the Clutch Bracket issue for all 40,000 RX-8 (thats all MT we got in the state? ) We need more reports to make Mazda fix this unacceptable issue ! So please if you had/having this issue. Take a picture of your bracket and keep it in a safe place, if your bracket broke and it was replaced under Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Keep a copy of the invoice, scan it into your computer. I can forward your issue to the government agent who is handling this case. Oh yes, file a formal complain at the web site above !!!!!!!!!! Thanks !

Update, August 31th, 2010. NHTSA has closed the case, and Mazda will provide 8 years/100K warranty on the said Clutch bracket part. As of this writing, it seems that 99.99% of the Mazda employees are still unaware of this and might bs you about "no its not covered, what are you talking about."
If you're reading this, give MNAO a call, send them the government's link about ths issue, which could be found HERE it covers every single Manual Transmission equipped Rx-8 from 2004-2009 (where is 2010?).

Latest update : 10/26/2010. It seems that more and more owners are getting letters from Mazda about the "Warranty Extension, SSP 82". Its just a nice notice from Mazda tell owners (you?) that yea they will extend the Bracket's warranty to 8 years or 100K miles,whichever comes first. keep that letter somewhere. the "updated" part number is FEY5-41-30XB CLUTCH BRACKET KIT* FOR SERIES 1 2004-2008,
and FFY9-41-30X CLUTCH BRACKET KIT* FOR SERIES 2 2009-2012.

*Kit Includes Pedal Bracket and Clutch Switches (2).





Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SSP82_Repair Procedure.pdf (416.5 KB, 462 views)

Last edited by nycgps; 10-27-2010 at 09:11 AM.
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
  #2  
Nope
iTrader: (9)
 
chickenwafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,312
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have it towed. I wouldn't risk transmission damage by trying to slam it into neutral at spot lights and then slamming it into first when moving again, not to mention lots of clutchless shifting throughout.
chickenwafer is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
  #3  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
it just *snap* off, Im gonna take a flash light out and check, but 99% its dead.
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
  #4  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Checked and ...

Its dead, I cannot even go into gear. sucks.

called Mazda RSA, no dealership has an open *drop off* area except for like Great Neck Mazda ... so forget it.

Im gonna leave the car at my GF place for the night .... lets just hope that no one will see the NAV I have and smash my window ...

Tomorrow morning gonna get up like 7 oclock to call the tow.

Oh Im just wondering, can I *tag* along with the tow truck to go to the dealership ? so I can get my rental.

Last edited by nycgps; 12-10-2007 at 09:48 PM.
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 PM
  #5  
Destroying Threads
 
tajabaho1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (swartsnegga state)
Posts: 2,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it snapped off!??!? holy crap, like the pedal? or the entire thing
tajabaho1 is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
  #6  
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
 
mysql101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycgps View Post
Oh Im just wondering, can I *tag* along with the tow truck to go to the dealership ? so I can get my rental.
You should be able to - I tagged along when my car was towed to the dealer when it flooded.
mysql101 is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 PM
  #7  
Modulated Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
dannobre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Smallville
Posts: 12,834
Received 100 Likes on 97 Posts
Charles Where are you........
dannobre is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 PM
  #8  
Asshole for hire
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colfontaine, Belgium
Posts: 3,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paulmasoner is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
  #9  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tajabaho1 View Post
it snapped off!??!? holy crap, like the pedal? or the entire thing
Yep, well, like most people with broken bracket, the right side of the top part snapped right off. I took the flash light from the trunk and took a peek. the right side is gone, when I push the bracket in with my hand. the whole thing moves.

Originally Posted by mysql101 View Post
You should be able to - I tagged along when my car was towed to the dealer when it flooded.
Yeah I think so too, I mean they're going straight to the dealership anyway. but damn traffic is gonna be bad ... especially morning time

Originally Posted by dannobre View Post
Charles Where are you........
Originally Posted by paulmasoner View Post
Where are you when I need you ~~~~~~~

So to all MT owners, no matter how many miles you have. my odo saids 37223 miles(I think), and it broke. it WILL happen to you too. yeah I know some people can live with more miles. but sooner or later it will break, so just becareful. Im REALLY lucky the **** didnt go when Im driving on a highway, cuz that will be mad dangerous. Engine off, parking brake pull, try to put into gear 1 to lock the car ... *crack*

Easiest way to tell is (repost), press the clutch lightly, back and forth. if it has a minor squeak, and you can move it left and right with your feet a bit. You're bracket is about to go. depends on when. Mine had the symptom for like 10 K miles before it finally snapped off tonight.

Now Ray, I think you might want to speed up the bracket making process. cuz you see, MAD potential customers waiting for your product ... or maybe make something that can reinforce the bracket. whatever works out for ya.

Im gonna take my camera out tomorrow morning and maybe film it. so people can see what does it look like when its *gone*

Last edited by nycgps; 12-10-2007 at 10:41 PM.
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
  #10  
I <3 Sushi
iTrader: (21)
 
Spinning Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulmasoner View Post
I lol'ed.
Spinning Sushi is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
  #11  
Destroying Threads
 
tajabaho1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (swartsnegga state)
Posts: 2,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where the *** is CRH? **** nycgps, I am right behind you, my left side is cracked, I am scared

Ray finish that damn clutch pedalz!
tajabaho1 is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
  #12  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tajabaho1 View Post
where the *** is CRH? **** nycgps, I am right behind you, my left side is cracked, I am scared

Ray finish that damn clutch pedalz!
Why dont you change it then ? dont wait man, I cant even move it into damn gears. imagine if that happens on a highway ...




Hmm, I thinking, can I consider this as a safety issue? I mean Im lucky the thing broke when Im not even driving(park!)

but what if it snap off when Im doing highway 55 mph ? its not going to be funny.
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
  #13  
Wally Moderator
 
ken-x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think it's a safety issue, report the incident to NHTSA. They're in the business of determining safety hazards.

If your nav system is portable, put it in the trunk. Or ask your GF to keep it at her place. Then have MRA tow your car to a dealer.

At 39k miles this is a warranty item. Vent your frustration by having them give you a good loaner.

Ken
ken-x8 is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
  #14  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ken-x8 View Post
If you think it's a safety issue, report the incident to NHTSA. They're in the business of determining safety hazards.

If your nav system is portable, put it in the trunk. Or ask your GF to keep it at her place. Then have MRA tow your car to a dealer.

At 39k miles this is a warranty item. Vent your frustration by having them give you a good loaner.

Ken
Im going to google the info tonight and tomorrow.

What Im thinking is, this forum probably represent like what, less than 5% of the whole Rx-8 community (very stupid estimate, meow), and guess what, a lot of broken brackets.

I treat my clutch bracket as my Brake bracket. meaning, you know, something that is NOT SUPPOSE TO BREAK no matter how many miles the car has. or maybe I should say clutch bracket should be last like the car's body,

Can I snap my doors off because I use it too much??

Hell we laugh about Civic guys, but Im *pretty sure* their clutch bracket last WAY longer than ours ... and you know who drives them the most? Teens ! they dont even give a **** about the car. Still not breaking.

I dont know man, Im gonna find some info about it. We're still seeing Revision B of the bracket ! I seen C once I swear, but its back to B or some crap.

God damn it Mazda, I love and hate you !!!!!
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
  #15  
Wally Moderator
 
ken-x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Im thinking is, this forum probably represent like what, less than 5% of the whole Rx-8 community (very stupid estimate, meow), and guess what, a lot of broken brackets.
Yeah, but everyone with a broken bracket has joined this forum to report it. Same with everyone who had a blown engine or a broken sunvisor.

The other 95% have had no problems.

Save the rage. Turn it into determination when you ask for a good loaner. But let it all out if they try to stick you with an Aveo.

Ken
ken-x8 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
  #16  
Registered User
 
coastie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year is your car?

Originally Posted by nycgps View Post
Im going to google the info tonight and tomorrow.

What Im thinking is, this forum probably represent like what, less than 5% of the whole Rx-8 community (very stupid estimate, meow), and guess what, a lot of broken brackets.

I treat my clutch bracket as my Brake bracket. meaning, you know, something that is NOT SUPPOSE TO BREAK no matter how many miles the car has. or maybe I should say clutch bracket should be last like the car's body,

Can I snap my doors off because I use it too much??

Hell we laugh about Civic guys, but Im *pretty sure* their clutch bracket last WAY longer than ours ... and you know who drives them the most? Teens ! they dont even give a **** about the car. Still not breaking.

I dont know man, Im gonna find some info about it. We're still seeing Revision B of the bracket ! I seen C once I swear, but its back to B or some crap.

God damn it Mazda, I love and hate you !!!!!
coastie08 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
  #17  
Destroying Threads
 
tajabaho1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (swartsnegga state)
Posts: 2,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont want to go through the hassle of removing all my illegal mods =.=
tajabaho1 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
  #18  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ken-x8 View Post
Yeah, but everyone with a broken bracket has joined this forum to report it. Same with everyone who had a blown engine or a broken sunvisor.

The other 95% have had no problems.

Save the rage. Turn it into determination when you ask for a good loaner. But let it all out if they try to stick you with an Aveo.

Ken
more like

the other 95%, problem or not, are simply too dumb to use internet

There is no loaner at the dealership, only rental, and I have a feeling they gonna give me some crap like the Explorer they gave me last time ... god damn Enterprise rent-a-car ...
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
  #19  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coastie08 View Post
What year is your car?
Yeah 2005, my friend. Build date I think somewhere in Dec 2004
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 AM
  #20  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tajabaho1 View Post
I dont want to go through the hassle of removing all my illegal mods =.=
maybe its a good time to start now ...
nycgps is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
  #21  
Banned
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under my car
Posts: 16,386
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think Ray will have his replacement in a couple of weeks.
Until then, just take the warranty replacement. They made a production change, so it won't (supposedly) break again.
When mine started to get really noisy, I just crawled under there and spot-welded the two parts of the bracket.
It would be nice to have a good, hard piece of billet there instead.

RAY! Where art thou brotha!
MazdaManiac is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 AM
  #22  
Banned
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under my car
Posts: 16,386
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The OE replacement may, indeed, suck. I don't doubt it.
But Mazda does claim that it is redesigned.
Either way, it is shitty by design.
I'd like to see a nice billet design like the hotrodders get.
MazdaManiac is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 AM
  #23  
Banned
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under my car
Posts: 16,386
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It would be nice to have a clutch pedal that feels like it can only move on one axis.
Mine rolls side to side on the flexibility of the OE bracket and I'm too lazy to take it out until it breaks again.
MazdaManiac is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
  #24  
Wally Moderator
 
ken-x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycgps View Post
There is no loaner at the dealership, only rental, and I have a feeling they gonna give me some crap like the Explorer they gave me last time ... god damn Enterprise rent-a-car ...
Mazda's bumper-to-bumper warranty includes a free loaner if your car is laid up for warranty work. Clutch pedal breaking off is certainly a defect in material or manufacture.

You got an Explorer? My dealer also has an in-house Enterprise, and I got stuck with an Aveo for my 4206f day. Despite the "White glove" instructions to loan a CX-7 or something similar. Don't expect sympathy over an Explorer.

Ken
ken-x8 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
  #25  
Out of NYC
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
nycgps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 19,867
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ken-x8 View Post
Mazda's bumper-to-bumper warranty includes a free loaner if your car is laid up for warranty work. Clutch pedal breaking off is certainly a defect in material or manufacture.

You got an Explorer? My dealer also has an in-house Enterprise, and I got stuck with an Aveo for my 4206f day. Despite the "White glove" instructions to loan a CX-7 or something similar. Don't expect sympathy over an Explorer.

Ken
Im gonna call MRA to get my tow, wish me luccccckkkkkkk !
nycgps is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal SNAP OFF 8 Year Warranty-Recall ~~~


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.