The Official "RX8 in DSP" Thread - Page 20 - RX8Club.com



RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #476
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
Anybody make a first event with their car yet?

Mine has hit a major snag, intermittently it has spark. I think I have narrowed it down to the ecm.
My first possible shake-down is the first weekend in April. Though I just ordered a ton of parts...
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #477
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First races are at the end of March for us, weather dependent though.

Just realized I never posted the before and after video of the new clutch we installed from Mazda Motorsports. Can't wait to give it a try.

Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #478
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to Mazda speed motorsports about that clutch. Seems you got the only one atm. They are working on offering them to the rest of us. Hope it's soon.
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #479
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
I talked to Mazda speed motorsports about that clutch. Seems you got the only one atm. They are working on offering them to the rest of us. Hope it's soon.
I did the same actually, as of wednesday they hope to have pricing and availability targets soon, possible next week (while I'm on vacation)
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #480
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone able to tell me specifics on the Anze-Penske setup? I'm looking for spring rates, etc. before pulling the trigger. I've emailed them and gave them a call, but it seems I'm always a little outside their hours of operation.

Thanks in advance.
gigglehurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #481
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglehurtz View Post
Anyone able to tell me specifics on the Anze-Penske setup? I'm looking for spring rates, etc. before pulling the trigger. I've emailed them and gave them a call, but it seems I'm always a little outside their hours of operation.

Thanks in advance.
You should reach out to Jeff Hurst if you want spring rate advice. There is also no easy answer as it depends on many variables in your desired setup and preferred handling characteristics...

Or, Anze will valve them for your chosen spring rates.
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #482
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tamra, I was partially under the impression that since Anze has been developing for the RX8, they sell a full setup, with spring rates already specified. I'm sure if I asked, they'd be willing to put together a setup like they've already made.
gigglehurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #483
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After doing more development with Hurst, I'm no longer running the spring rates they sold me. But, Anze builds great shocks and I highly recommend them.
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #484
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglehurtz View Post
Thanks Tamra, I was partially under the impression that since Anze has been developing for the RX8, they sell a full setup, with spring rates already specified. I'm sure if I asked, they'd be willing to put together a setup like they've already made.
The problem is when you get to this level of shock, spring rates are so dependent on driver preference. Companies can offer a general starting point but there isn't an "ultimate" combo.
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #485
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
The problem is when you get to this level of shock, spring rates are so dependent on driver preference. Companies can offer a general starting point but there isn't an "ultimate" combo.
^ This.

Anything you get from Anze will be unbelievably good and will give you an amazing starting point. The Penskes from them are just mind blowing at how they transformed the car. Then you can take it and make it suit your style with shock adjustments, alignment, ride height, sway bars, aero, spring rate changes if necessary, etc. Jeff Hurst is also a fantastic resource and played a key role. We have a long way to go with my car, especially after the changes this winter, but she was definitely off to a very promising start last fall!
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #486
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rochester, NY, USA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
I would argue that a SOHN adaptor is the equivalent to an accusump. They both inject oil into the engine when required.

The hardest part about changing classes is finding/learning the rules clarifications published in Fastrack. There is no easy way to search them.

Yep, doesn't apply when a long run is 2 minutes. Just top off in between...
I would consider SOHN to be merely an oil pan extension. It holds oil for use as intended by the engine. It doesn't pressurize anything, so it's less removed from stock than an accusump. And you reuse the existing stock metering pump, so there's no argument about injection. The adaptor itself is just a block-off plate for the engine oil input and a new external input from a hose barb. The other components are for sealing, and if you get the kit (I got the epitrochoid kit) bottles and a backing plate and mounting hardware.

I am a strong proponent of the SOHN adapter and its use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Not that this applies, because, you know, RACECAR...

But, the tiny-*** washer fluid reservoir that comes with the Epitrochoid kit is annoyingly small. I'm considering putting the original washer bottle back in and then finding another way to mount the Sohn bottle.
The washer fluid tank is indeed unnecessarily small, and the hole for the pump is unnecessarily high, so you're wasting at least a tenth of the existing volume. I don't mind topping it off, though.

Also, a note of advice for those considering the Epitrochoid kit: RTV the washer fluid pump seal. I (stupidly) thought the seal would suffice. It does not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglehurtz View Post
I've yet to find conclusive evidence that E85 on a N/A Renesis actually makes more power. Those who know aren't talking.

But, if it actually makes more power with no increase in weight, then it's pretty much a given that a top-level DSP RX8 should have it.
...John?

Last edited by archon; 03-13-2017 at 04:43 PM.
archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #487
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon View Post
I would consider SOHN to be merely an oil pan extension. It holds oil for use as intended by the engine. It doesn't pressurize anything, so it's less removed from stock than an accusump. And you reuse the existing stock metering pump, so there's no argument about injection. The adaptor itself is just a block-off plate for the engine oil input and a new external input from a hose barb. The other components are for sealing, and if you get the kit (I got the epitrochoid kit) bottles and a backing plate and mounting hardware.

I am a strong proponent of the SOHN adapter and its use.



The washer fluid tank is indeed unnecessarily small, and the hole for the pump is unnecessarily high, so you're wasting at least a tenth of the existing volume. I don't mind topping it off, though.

Also, a note of advice for those considering the Epitrochoid kit: RTV the washer fluid pump seal. I (stupidly) thought the seal would suffice. It does not.



...John?
Keep in mind in Street Prepared you're not allowed to delete or replace (unless UDBD) the OEM washer fluid tank, to my knowledge.

If someone really wants to run a Sohn adapter and be legal I would just write in with the question, since it's currently a grey area. Here's the link: https://www.crbscca.com/

Last edited by Tamra; 03-15-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #488
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon View Post
...John?
Hi Dan.
gigglehurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #489
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike is keeping himself in shouting distance of John V, just 2 tenths back!
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #490
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice, although the courses at GMP usually favor a momentum car.

It's killing me not being there. I turned down a FS M3 ride too
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #491
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
Very nice, although the courses at GMP usually favor a momentum car.

It's killing me not being there. I turned down a FS M3 ride too
Mike, John and Shelly took 5th, 6th and 9th on PAX! Imperfect and all that jazz, but still, very nice!
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #492
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Destin
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm graduating school this semester and I CAN NOT wait to finally have the time and funds to finish the transition into DSP. I had a few friends that were at GMP and ran a 330 is DSP after spending the last two years telling me an RX8 would never be competitive against the BMWs in the class, we see where that got them!

To actually contribute to the knowledgebase(or question-base) here I have a conundrum... I have a set of 18x10 +38 RPF1s that I have been running and can not seem to get rid of the wear issue from scrubbing against the pinch weld a bit at full suspension load(still mostly on STX parts so the slicks overwhelm it a bit) but I'm wondering if that issue has been solved well yet? I have been offered a trade for some 17x10 +38 RPF1s and am tempted to do that as the lessened diameter would allow for slight more clearance(and more gearing to an extent). What is the consensus these days on wheel sizes for DSP?
roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #493
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
I'm graduating school this semester and I CAN NOT wait to finally have the time and funds to finish the transition into DSP. I had a few friends that were at GMP and ran a 330 is DSP after spending the last two years telling me an RX8 would never be competitive against the BMWs in the class, we see where that got them!

To actually contribute to the knowledgebase(or question-base) here I have a conundrum... I have a set of 18x10 +38 RPF1s that I have been running and can not seem to get rid of the wear issue from scrubbing against the pinch weld a bit at full suspension load(still mostly on STX parts so the slicks overwhelm it a bit) but I'm wondering if that issue has been solved well yet? I have been offered a trade for some 17x10 +38 RPF1s and am tempted to do that as the lessened diameter would allow for slight more clearance(and more gearing to an extent). What is the consensus these days on wheel sizes for DSP?
Are you talking about the pinch weld at the back of the wheel well? You could try a adding a little caster.
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #494
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Destin
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
Are you talking about the pinch weld at the back of the wheel well? You could try a adding a little caster.
Yes, that one. And I'm already running a lot of caster to minimize the wear... The last setup was 285 wide BFG R1S's on the 18x10's and there was some shoulder wear due to that pinch weld no matter what I was running for alignment. Do you think making the trade for the 17's would be a wise choice?
roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #495
\_(ツ)_/
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,940
Thanked 120 Times in 94 Posts
What tires would you put on the 17x10's? I mean, if they end up being the same outer diameter and width, you probably aren't going to fix the problem.
NotAPreppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #496
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Destin
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
What tires would you put on the 17x10's? I mean, if they end up being the same outer diameter and width, you probably aren't going to fix the problem.
Just looked, it seems that in the A7 the 275/35R17 is the same overall as the 285/30R18... I could have sworn they sold a 275/30R17 and 295/30R17 in the past. Oh well, I guess there isn't much point in swapping to the 17's then.

I will post up my alignment settings this next time around and see what you guys think. Has pretty much everyone running 285's been able to get them clearing alright? And has anyone come up with a recipe for fitting wider(without hacking fenders and running tons of spacer) yet?
roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #497
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size tire are you running on the 18?
As preppie says the problem with going to the 17" is the overall diameter is fairly close, according to TireRacks specs.

Edit: You posted while I typed...
Yeah a 275-17 would only gain you .1" of additional clearance. For anything significant you would need to drop all the way to 245-17. I don't think that would be worth it.

Last edited by Silverhks; 04-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #498
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are running 17x10+52 (the 949's) with a 3mm spacer up front to make it an effective +49 (could probably use a 5mm since we do rub a little on the inboard side, but then again we are really low with lots of camber). We clear the pinch weld just fine. 275/35/17 A7's.

Not sure what our caster is - it's set so that our springs clear our upper control arms LOL. We do hit our lower control arms with the wheels when driving around paddock and trying to make tight turns, so we do have to be conscious of that. It hasn't been an issue on course though.

I think Marc is running the same wheel/tire setup as you and clears the pinch welds, so I would look at alignment.
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #499
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
We are running 17x10+52 (the 949's) with a 3mm spacer up front to make it an effective +49 (could probably use a 5mm since we do rub a little on the inboard side, but then again we are really low with lots of camber). We clear the pinch weld just fine. 275/35/17 A7's.

Not sure what our caster is - it's set so that our springs clear our upper control arms LOL. We do hit our lower control arms with the wheels when driving around paddock and trying to make tight turns, so we do have to be conscious of that. It hasn't been an issue on course though.

I think Marc is running the same wheel/tire setup as you and clears the pinch welds, so I would look at alignment.
What have most of you started with for Pressures on 285 18's? I think I saw something prior but could not spot it.
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #500
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazny View Post
What have most of you started with for Pressures on 285 18's? I think I saw something prior but could not spot it.
Upper 20s to mid 30s depending on feel preference and tire wear, which will be based a lot on your alignment. I think some run upper 30s. I like a slight stagger with lower rear pressures personally, but might be setup dependent.
Tamra is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
{ FS } 05 Sunlight Silver RX8 GT - 57.5k miles - 6 Speed MT - Clean akagc RX-8's For Sale/Wanted 7 08-11-2015 08:07 PM
Rear Stationary Gear Bolts MolsonB Series I Tech Garage 5 08-08-2015 02:24 AM
Crank trigger connector/crank angle sensor location Pelleilee New Member Forum 5 08-02-2015 03:44 PM
New member, RX8 MGB Hybrid :) shambo New Member Forum 9 07-18-2015 03:07 PM
New Member Introduction dmengel New Member Forum 3 07-18-2015 10:35 AM


Tags
18x10, 18x105, 26535, 2953018, 29530r18, caster, clearance, fender, minimum, roll, rx8, rx8club, speedway, stx, swaybar, wheel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.


All content Copyright 2017 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.