Fastest RX-8 1/4 mile time? - Page 3 - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > RX-8 Competition > RX-8 Racing
Reload this Page >

Fastest RX-8 1/4 mile time?

Notices
RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

Fastest RX-8 1/4 mile time?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:16 PM
  #51  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Revhappy, just like I told Ike, I ain't playing by your rules. If you don't like the results or the method, it really wouldn't be anything new out of you. Just for you and Ike I did use 94 octane.
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 PM
  #52  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 608
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck Clifford
Hey Revhappy, just like I told Ike, I ain't playing by your rules. If you don't like the results or the method, it really wouldn't be anything new out of you. Just for you and Ike I did use 94 octane.
Hi Chuck,
You can play by any rules you like however your times will not be generally accepted until you use the unofficial internet car forum method for proving it (timeslips).

BTW..94 Octane is fine as that is sold at most Sunoco stations over here.
revhappy is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 12:36 PM
  #53  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Revhappy, but I like any and all unofficial methods. I might use a different method tomorrow for the benefit of further discussion, but I highly doubt it will involve a dragstrip.
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
  #54  
Registered User
 
Lawerence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha this is a joke right?
the only way to get an accurate time that you can compare to anyone else's is with standardization. That is why there are tracks, a standard way of doing it so people can compare.

You're time is fine, but it is in no way comparable with any real time from a track, or a magizine time (which uses the same testing method!) .

So you could run a 12.001 @ 130mph for all I care, because your testing method is idiotic at best!
Lawerence is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:50 PM
  #55  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But Lawerence, we have already been told that we can not use magazine times (1/4 mile strips) because they too are inaccurate according to the heavy troll commumity on this forum.

Yet between the EVO and WRX alone there are probably 200 version of ECU enhancement that can be made to those cars, and people on their forums are posting a wide range of 1/4 mile strip times, and none of them even know what stock is anymore. The only stock numbers left for these cars are in magazine testing.

Straight line speed junkies with no understanding of the RX-8 are constantly trying to reduce the RX-8 to its least common denominator, and their only understandable denominator, raw speed.

When the time comes, there will be dozens of ECU enhancements to the RX-8 and hundreds of 1/4 mile posts ranging from 12 to 15 seconds. Then I suppose using the WRX and EVO mentality it will all make sense.
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:52 PM
  #56  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Loganville, GA USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Chuck...how about filming the ground...honk a bunch of times and then honk when you finish....you should be able to run close to a 4 second 1/4 mile and say you topped the car out in 6th gear.

You have possibly come up with the worst way to ever measure. Your method is filled with flaws. I would believe a G-tech before this terrible method.
jprempe is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:58 PM
  #57  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jprempe, but you would believe any time from a WRX or EVO owner, who said they run stock. I guess that only makes you half a fool. :D
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:05 PM
  #58  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 608
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck Clifford
jprempe, but you would believe any time from a WRX or EVO owner, who said they run stock. I guess that only makes you half a fool. :D
There have been numerous reports of stock EVOs running mid 13s and even some in the low 13s WITH timeslips. Of course you will dismiss all of them with irrational skeptcism yet expect us to believe your flawed, uncomparable method.
revhappy is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:11 PM
  #59  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Loganville, GA USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck Clifford
But Lawerence, we have already been told that we can not use magazine times (1/4 mile strips) because they too are inaccurate according to the heavy troll commumity on this forum.

Yet between the EVO and WRX alone there are probably 200 version of ECU enhancement that can be made to those cars, and people on their forums are posting a wide range of 1/4 mile strip times, and none of them even know what stock is anymore. The only stock numbers left for these cars are in magazine testing.
I own a EVO and I'm regularly at the evolutionm.net. The wide range of 1/4 mile times are easy to explain. If you want to get the absolutely best time you have to drop the clutch at 5500-6000 rpms. Well in an AWD that puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain and clutch but this leads to the best times (13.1-13.7). The EVOs that run higher than 13.7 either: 1.) roll off the start without the big clutch drop or 2.) bog the car by dropping the clutch at too low of an rpm...either way leads to a 13.7+ time. Also the driver has a big influence...some are better, some are worse.

Originally posted by Chuck Clifford

Straight line speed junkies with no understanding of the RX-8 are constantly trying to reduce the RX-8 to its least common denominator, and their only understandable denominator, raw speed.

When the time comes, there will be dozens of ECU enhancements to the RX-8 and hundreds of 1/4 mile posts ranging from 12 to 15 seconds. Then I suppose using the WRX and EVO mentality it will all make sense.
I have never reduced the RX8, I have only looked at it with an objective eye. I love the car but it came up very short in the power department. When I was looking for a new car the RX8 was top of the list, but then I found that it lacked the power I wanted in a sports car. Something that is eccential to me. The RX8 has similar power as my Prelude...now I wouldn't have minded the low torque if it had 300 hp but I've done the low torque low horsepower thing and I didn't like it. To me, I wanted a car that not only handled well but could out accelerate the average car easily. A low 15-high 14 second car does not do that...hell even my EVO feels a little light on power once in a while.
jprempe is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:11 PM
  #60  
Son what is your Alibi?
iTrader: (1)
 
PoLaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry

Chuck not that i doubt you but seeing the video would be kinda kool. I'll Host it for you if you'd like.

BTW Consider urself warned, just keep ur cool:

Lawerence
renotse
Haris

Last edited by PoLaK; 12-04-2003 at 08:35 PM.
PoLaK is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:17 PM
  #61  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lawerence wrote:
"haha this is a joke right?
the only way to get an accurate time that you can compare to anyone else's is with standardization. That is why there are tracks, a standard way of doing it so people can compare."

Do they check your setup, the fuel your using, and validate stock hardware and software at the track? NO. Do they validate your stock claims? NO. So much for your standardization. Measuring out a 1/4 mile track and starting and stopping a clock are the only standardization performed at a track.
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:19 PM
  #62  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 608
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck Clifford
Lawerence wrote:
"haha this is a joke right?
the only way to get an accurate time that you can compare to anyone else's is with standardization. That is why there are tracks, a standard way of doing it so people can compare."

Do they check your setup, the fuel your using, and validate stock hardware and software at the track? NO. Do they validate your stock claims? NO. So much for your standardization. Measuring out a 1/4 mile track and starting and stopping a clock are the only standardization performed at a track.
Yes, but that reduces the error margin and comes much closer to standarization then yours does. Yes, it relies more on honesty, but with enough runs an aberrations should stand-out. Of course, you would argue everyone lies!
revhappy is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 02:57 PM
  #63  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I highjacked this very rhetorical thread. I made no such runs, I have no buddy, no camera, hell I don't even own an RX-8 (yes I do). The whole point was Mag times are not believed, 1/4 mile runs are disputed.

Pretty soon, those who do want to race, will have very fast RX-8s.

Slips will only satisfy the doubters if they say what they are expecting, outherwise they are picked apart. (Gee that 60 doesn't look like it goes with that ET).

Asking people who have just bought a very nice and well rounded vehicle to go out and subject it to its most radical abilities are insane. Properly maximixzing performance from a rotary is an art, at which most RX-8 owners are just becomming accustomed.

Most of the speed curiosity is coming from non RX-8 owners who want to somehow use these times as justification of their purchase. While most RX-8 owners are very happy driving their car everywhere without endagering their Precious.

For those who took me seriously, I apologize, and I have some land here in nothwest florida you might be interested in.......

Those who did not believe it, but did not raise the BS flag, you are too kind. (PoLaK)

I will try and keep my post in a more truthful realm. Its just that feeding the trolls can be so fun.

Lets get back to posting those 1/4 mile runs. ARRRGHH
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 03:04 PM
  #64  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by revhappy
Family cars and vacations?? Maybe you should buy the "family truckster"! Seriously, the EVO's ride is not that bad. If you are on non-pothole infested roads, its fine. Most EVO owners use it as their daily driver. Anyway, the RX8's backseat is tiny (the EVO's actually has lots of room) and claustrophobic.

No offense, but it seems like quite a few RX8 owners are quite vain and superficial when comments like this are made about PERFORMANCE CARS.
Ok, tell me how can evo have comfy ride? those hard sporty seats, suspensions harder than lancer? Lancer is no better than protege. Now unless you consider protege and lancer to be comfy family sedans, then you can consider evo one as well. Anyways, I dont want to go anymore offtopic, so RX8 is slower than 350z, and evo in 1/4 mile.
Haris is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM
  #65  
Not so Super right now
 
Genom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beyond that there swamp.
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BAH
Genom is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 PM
  #66  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 608
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Haris
Ok, tell me how can evo have comfy ride? those hard sporty seats, suspensions harder than lancer? Lancer is no better than protege. Now unless you consider protege and lancer to be comfy family sedans, then you can consider evo one as well. Anyways, I dont want to go anymore offtopic, so RX8 is slower than 350z, and evo in 1/4 mile.
So you ask me a question having nothing to do with this thread's focus, but complain about this topic going off the subject in hand? I said the EVO's ride is fine on smooth roads. Is it it a Cadillac? No. Is it livable? Absolutely! Its daily driven by most of the guys on evolutionm.net and my 62 year old mother had no problems on a 2 and a half hour ride.
revhappy is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
  #67  
Registered User
 
RX8Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 581
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to do the quarter mile in 12.5 seconds by counting out loud to myself...

ONE ONE THOUSAND, TWO ONE THOUSAND, THREE ONE THOUSAND... :D

Please, Chuck, your method of calculating timeslips is laughable at best. You cannot acurately factor in the speed of sound of you honking your horn, reaction time, and precisely crossing the finish line the way you can at a track.

Perhaps the thread should have stated at the very beginning:

"Best 1/4 mile times AT A FRIGGIN TRACK."
RX8Lover is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
  #68  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RX8Lover, I tried the one thousand one, one thousand two, but shifting, excelerating, counting, just got to be too much.

Your "Best 1/4 mile times AT A FRIGGIN TRACK." idea has some holes. Is that with a stock car, race gas or not, experienced driver. Every time slip posted has been picked to pieces. "That 60 doesn't match that ET ", That trap speed can't equal that ET.

This whole topic has no acceptable conclusion to its creator. Or the multiple identical threads that will pop up as soon as this dies.

RX8Lover read my last post. I did it again using a mickey mouse watch and a blind Nun, it was a little more accurate, but I'll keep tweaking.
Chuck Clifford is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 PM
  #69  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RX8Lover
I was able to do the quarter mile in 12.5 seconds by counting out loud to myself...

ONE ONE THOUSAND, TWO ONE THOUSAND, THREE ONE THOUSAND... :D

Please, Chuck, your method of calculating timeslips is laughable at best. You cannot acurately factor in the speed of sound of you honking your horn, reaction time, and precisely crossing the finish line the way you can at a track.

Perhaps the thread should have stated at the very beginning:

"Best 1/4 mile times AT A FRIGGIN TRACK."
You want me to change it? :D
rebelzx is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
  #70  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consumer reports just tested the RX8, 350z, Sti and Evo

RX8:
1/4 = 15.2
0-60 = 6.7

350z:
1/4 = 14.0
0-60 = 5.3

Sti:
1/4 = 13.4
0-60 = 4.8

Don't remeber the Evo at this moment.. And all the people that are holding on to the numbers (5.9 0-60 and 14.5 1/4) in Car and Driver with a PRE-PRODUCTION RX-8 producing 250HP should forget about it, since that test no mag has tested the RX8 anywhere near those numebrs with a production one.

And a somebody getting a 14.6 with racing fuel, powershifting and years of experience doesn't even count. My best in my Z so far with just an intake was a [email protected] with only 4k miles, the best STOCK RX8 I have seen a slip for was [email protected]. The low traps are a tell all that its putting down quite a bit less then 238hp.

Last edited by 350z Driver; 12-04-2003 at 06:49 PM.
350z Driver is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
  #71  
FX8TED on my RX-8
 
khoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 815
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the last straw! I'm putting my RX-8 up for sale and getting one of those stunning 350Zs! Quite obviously the 350Z is a superior automobile! Thanks for enlightening me, 350Z Driver!
khoney is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 PM
  #72  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to say but there are some mag reports (with updated hp numbers) that have lower 0-60 yimes for the 8. Nice though that you posted the highest one?

most times are low 6's. But I'll let you have the spotlight.:o
Broker73 is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 PM
  #73  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and if you look at Canzoomers thread for mods, he has ran a low 6 from 0-60 in his car stock, without an 8k launch. The 8 is slower than the 350Z, but more comparable to the G35. I find it so funny how there are a few guys on here that don't own the car, but have nothing better to do than stir the pot? I feel for yah all
Broker73 is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 08:29 PM
  #74  
no pistons!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Posts: 434
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG lets stop the unncessary BS between evo, sti, 350z, g35c, and the rx8... I just wasted my time reading this bullshit of people bickering - they are all great cars ok? nice, soooo

where are the time slips?
Efini 8 is offline  
Old 12-04-2003, 08:43 PM
  #75  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Broker73
sorry to say but there are some mag reports (with updated hp numbers) that have lower 0-60 yimes for the 8. Nice though that you posted the highest one?

most times are low 6's. But I'll let you have the spotlight.:o
No actually I posted the most recent that included a group test of other sports cars.. Regardless I have not seen a sub 15 second 1/4 from any mag becides the pre-prod C&D review.

If I wanted to post the highest I would of posted the moter trend that got a 15.4 :D
350z Driver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fastest RX-8 1/4 mile time?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.