Notices

Joes Rew swap

Old 01-06-2018, 11:58 AM
  #26  
Koi no Ousama
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,563
Likes: 0
Liked 282 Times in 232 Posts
Yeah, that makes a big difference on motivation level. I had three free days last holiday weekend to go work on mine (keep it a 15í x 50 oversized storage area unit), but the high was only 28*F every day. Needless to say, I stayed home where it was toasty instead.
TeamRX8 is offline  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:21 PM
  #27  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lol I donít blame you! Hopefully this week I get the new adaptronic in. Thatís my goal at least. Then I have to go back to work. Been off for a little over a week.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM
  #28  
El Jefe
 
yomomspimp06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,796
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
not sure how i missed this thread. looking good
yomomspimp06 is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 AM
  #29  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I got the new adaptronic in the car the other day. I have to wire up fuel pressure still but Iíll do that this week. I was anxious to test it out and it started up first try with a supplied file from Elliot. I was ecstatic bc normally my car haaates the cold. I was about to let it warm up when I realized my volt gauge was pegged at 18v so I shut it off and contacted Shawn and Adaptronic. I first suspected the ecu bc it was the only thing switched and the car didnít have this issue with the select ecu. After a few emails and tests we came to the conclusion that the alternator took a **** at the same time I put the new ecu in. I usually try to have back up parts for cases like this and I had a new alt on the shelf, slapped it on and it was the fix! Hopefully I have time this week to start it and let it get to operating temp. Ive been too damn busy lately, Iíve been working 6-7 days a week rebuilding a turbine at a coal burner.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 AM
  #30  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts



Joe814 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Joe814
Killawatts (01-31-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 AM
  #31  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, what were the specs on your front mount if you remember them? I am REW swapping mine and want to fins a fmic setup like your setup, but cant find anywhere that sells that specific layout as of yet. Thanks!
Calvin Gowman is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM
  #32  
Registered
iTrader: (46)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,739
Liked 335 Times in 270 Posts
Careful on the alternator overcharging, it cost me a battery, ABS modulator, and all of my interior lighting and tail lights. Thankfully I had an extended warranty because only the dealer can do the ABS modulator bleed and programming all the work was like 3k.
9krpmrx8 is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM
  #33  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Calvin Gowman View Post
OP, what were the specs on your front mount if you remember them? I am REW swapping mine and want to fins a fmic setup like your setup, but cant find anywhere that sells that specific layout as of yet. Thanks!
Do you mean my v mount set up? Itís a cx racing 24x12x4 intercooler. I had to scoot the fuse box over a little bit to make it fit also.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:17 PM
  #34  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Careful on the alternator overcharging, it cost me a battery, ABS modulator, and all of my interior lighting and tail lights. Thankfully I had an extended warranty because only the dealer can do the ABS modulator bleed and programming all the work was like 3k.
Oh Jesus! Iíll have to double check all of that. My battery went to **** Iím pretty sure but I think it was just bc it was an old autozone one. Iíll double check everything else tonight since I got a new battery. That would blow if all that happed. Thanks for the heads up!
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 AM
  #35  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 18,297
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Just noticed this thread for first time . Great read !
Brettus is online now  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:42 AM
  #36  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
Just noticed this thread for first time . Great read !
Thank you!!!
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-24-2018, 02:59 PM
  #37  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 18,297
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Just looking at your torque curve and it seems that the turbo takes a while to get going .Did Turblown give any indication that that is how it would perform ?
I recently fitted a similar sized turbo where the turbine was bigger than the compressor and was disappointed with the spoolup .I'm trying a larger compressor soon to see if that helps .
Maybe the TDX61 would work better for you ???

Last edited by Brettus; 01-24-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Brettus is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM
  #38  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
Just looking at your torque curve and it seems that the turbo takes a while to get going .Did Turblown give any indication that that is how it would perform ?
I recently fitted a similar sized turbo where the turbine was bigger than the compressor and was disappointed with the spoolup .I'm trying a larger compressor soon to see if that helps .
Maybe the TDX61 would work better for you ???
Yeah he did tell me that Iíd be around full boost at mid 3k with this turbo and max out around 450whp. I have thought about going to the tdx61 also and still might. We did have a problem with the Mac valve on the dyno, it wasnít working for some reason. Once that is properly working well be able to fine tune it better and should better the tq. Also since switching to the modular ecu Iím going to install a FFE Emap canister so well be able to see how efficient this turbo is.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:48 PM
  #39  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 18,297
Liked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe814 View Post
Yeah he did tell me that Iíd be around full boost at mid 3k with this turbo and max out around 450whp. I have thought about going to the tdx61 also and still might. We did have a problem with the Mac valve on the dyno, it wasnít working for some reason. Once that is properly working well be able to fine tune it better and should better the tq. Also since switching to the modular ecu Iím going to install a FFE Emap canister so well be able to see how efficient this turbo is.
Ah , that would explain it . Will be interested to see the difference once you get that fixed, plus the results for EMAP !
Brettus is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 PM
  #40  
Koi no Ousama
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,563
Likes: 0
Liked 282 Times in 232 Posts
I wouldn’t expect much gain for EMAP, though it will assist MAP tuning to be more on target over a range of varying conditions where it might not be otherwise. For my NA engine Elliot/Turblown was pushing me to use it, but my exhaust is so free flowing on it that I didn’t think the extra cost of the carbon filtering canister for the exhaust piping connection to the 4 Bar internal EMAP sensor was worth it. I bought an external 1.2 IMAP sensor to provide better range/accuracy over the 4 Bar internal IMAP sensor too.


The turbine pictures are cool. I love that kind of stuff. Back when I was going through engineering college I had a part-time co-op job with Bechtel for the construction of a new coal-fired power plant in Orlando, FL. Good memories and experiences there that you reminded me of.






.

Last edited by TeamRX8; 01-25-2018 at 06:23 PM.
TeamRX8 is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 12:38 PM
  #41  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe814 View Post
Do you mean my v mount set up? Itís a cx racing 24x12x4 intercooler. I had to scoot the fuse box over a little bit to make it fit also.
No, I am referring to the fmic seen earlier in the thread, that setup looks like it would work perfect for the space I have available with my turblown manifold top mount setup. If you don't recall the specs that's okay too, I will keep digging.
Calvin Gowman is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:32 PM
  #42  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The turbine pictures are cool. I love that kind of stuff. Back when I was going through engineering college I had a part-time co-op job with Bechtel for the construction of a new coal-fired power plant in Orlando, FL. Good memories and experiences there that you reminded me of.






.[/QUOTE]
Nice man!! Yeah weíve been going non stop on this thing right now. Then next month Iíll be doing another at Lasalle Nuclear power plant.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:50 PM
  #43  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Calvin Gowman View Post
No, I am referring to the fmic seen earlier in the thread, that setup looks like it would work perfect for the space I have available with my turblown manifold top mount setup. If you don't recall the specs that's okay too, I will keep digging.
Oh sorry I read that wrong. It was a cxracing 25x16x3 intercooler. I modified the factory crash support to fit it.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 AM
  #44  
Registered
 
Killawatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 71
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is awesome. I'm incredibly envious. Love that hood, where did you get it?

One day other things won't be taking up my time and money and I can get back to working on the 8, til that day comes I live through guys like you, keeps me motivated.
Killawatts is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:47 AM
  #45  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Killawatts View Post
This is awesome. I'm incredibly envious. Love that hood, where did you get it?

One day other things won't be taking up my time and money and I can get back to working on the 8, til that day comes I live through guys like you, keeps me motivated.
Thank you! I actually came across a kid that was selling his car in Florida that had it on it. I told him that I wasnt interested in his car but I wanted the hood lol. We made a deal and he shipped it to me lol.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM
  #46  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
MaD666MaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 552
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep up the good work
MaD666MaX is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 PM
  #47  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry for the lack of posts. Iíve been quite busy with work and life but hereís some progress pics. I have a buddy that works for headershield so I had him coat my turbo and mani.
Joe814 is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
  #48  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 680
Liked 64 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe814 View Post
[left]Sorry for the lack of posts. Iíve been quite busy with work and life but hereís some progress pics. I have a buddy that works for headershield so I had him coat my turbo and mani.
Looks nice, does your buddy need any more friends?
strokercharged95gt is online now  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:18 PM
  #49  
////////zoom
 
wannawankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,087
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Very nice
wannawankel is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM
  #50  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Joe814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manhattan,IL
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by strokercharged95gt View Post
Looks nice, does your buddy need any more friends?
Haha Iím sure heíll do it if you ship it to him! 😂
Joe814 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Joes Rew swap


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.