Notices
RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

The STX thread!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
悪魔のR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome there man! I just want to give a big shout out to Broda for taking home 1st in STX today at NHMS! Good job again man! :D I'll be posting pics soon and all from today. 1st place in SM today myself.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Cone Abuser

So I got a chance to see George's new setup in action today... He was flat through a sweeper that actually showed the body roll left in my car and his times were downright insane. Can't wait to see how he stacked up against the other NS5 cars in the afternoon (where he'd have been 4 runs ahead )

Here's 4min of moping around and my rerun. After the run it's got a good video tour of the site and the awesome indoor pits. 720p came out here good, so break out the HD Run starts at 1:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MMCshmXOY
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Anijo.

Hate to say it, but I was running on the KWs yesterday. Shaikh & I were not quite able to sort out some mechanical issues with the rear suspension in time for this weekend's (and Wendover) events, so I put the KWs back in on Saturday (and missed the Pro ).

We do see at least two solutions, but, as is the case with many rushed prototyping efforts, we just were unable to get there in time the next big event (Wendover). I'm confident we are on to something good, and should have them in (crosses fingers) for the next Packwood event in June.

Karl took 2nd in NS5 (STU & STX indexed). Ace put an ***-whoopin on everyone in his Evo. Overall, Karl PAXed third for the whole event out of 139 entries. Conditions were dry but cool in the afternoon, as opposed to the drying conditions of the morning, so the folks in the afternoon certainly had better conditions than the morning folks, particularly those who ran in the first morning run group.

My afternoon times were right there with Karl, although it took me 5 or six runs as compared to Karl's 3 or 4. My best raw time put me 16th overall.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Cone Abuser

Good stuff George.

Going back over my last run's video, there're several blatant mistakes that I likely would've been able to correct with 1 or 2 more runs that would've dropped another second or so, which would've put me back within my normal margin to you...

One thing this event definitely proved to me is I'm not racing enough. I basically wasted my first 2 runs remembering what it was like to run in the dry. My personal life is getting in the way of my racing this season (hence I wasn't able to stay for the afternoon half) and I definitely am not able to keep up the intense every-possible-event-from-every-club schedule I pulled last season. I'm still on my stock sway bars too, with Progress Tech's sitting in my bedroom since the end of last season. I still haven't had the car properly corner balanced either... One of these days I'll climb out from under this pile of work and get the car put together right and see what I can do.

Ace (I think his first name is Brent?) is very quick and I could see how Sunday's course could play to his driving style. At my first novice school, I got a ride with him and it's definitely one of those rides I can point to that directly made me faster just by riding along ("oh, you can brake really hard and really late").

BTW, I don't know if you heard but we got some bad news at this event. Our only other decent site, Bremerton, has been neutered. We're no longer allowed to use the Taxiway as part of an autocross. While this will certainly lead to fewer cars in the ditch (I've seen 2 since I started autox'ing last year), it's going to make it a lot harder to setup a decent course much over 40 seconds long and still keep to the normal half of the runway. Since the schedule is already set for this year, several of the NWR SCCA events there will be on the same day as SCCA drifting, so we'll need to share the runway for sure and we're going to have to suffer through some short courses.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

^Sorry to hear about Bremerton. That really sucks.

Yes, it's hard to be fast when you don't get the seat time. If it's any consolation, I was driving in top form (for me) on Sunday. I felt the same way I did when I did my last run at nats last year - focused on the course, aggressive but controlled, in control of both the car and the course. It felt good, and I need to build on that for the rest of the year. That's where the speed comes from!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Cone Abuser

The real question is what BSCC is going to do with Bremerton like this. It's the only site they use but they don't normally share the track with anyone else. They've at least got the option of starting from closer to the VHT end of the runway and having a longer return trip down the taxiway.

Originally Posted by GeorgeH
Yes, it's hard to be fast when you don't get the seat time. If it's any consolation, I was driving in top form (for me) on Sunday. I felt the same way I did when I did my last run at nats last year - focused on the course, aggressive but controlled, in control of both the car and the course. It felt good, and I need to build on that for the rest of the year. That's where the speed comes from!
Makes sense, you hit those times right out of the gate which was really cool to see. I felt like it took until my 4th run for me to be back in tune with the car on dry pavement. It felt like what my 2nd run would've been like at the end of last season. Here's hoping the weather holds for the events at the end of the month.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Houston Region event at Gulf Greyhound Park.

[EMBED]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcQFtsl5lP8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcQFtsl5lP8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/EMBED]
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Not yet famous

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StrokerAce
Houston Region event at Gulf Greyhound Park.
Wow! A 80 second course -- That must be a big damn parking lot! Looks like a fun one.

The NER event this past weekend was only a 28.xxx second course, which is much shorter than what I am used to, but it was a good one.

Finished 25th in PAX on Sunday, but only about 0.8 behind first. My best PAX finish to date was 12th, but there are some extremely talented drivers in NER, so I'm happy with my performance. There is still plenty of room for improvement though
Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM
mkuhnracing.com

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got back from a local event. Took FTD and FTP for the day

After the last event I took off the rear sway which helped ALOT. And I still havn't even got the thing aligned since the new shock install yet
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^Awesome!!
Looks like our event tomorow will be a wet one. Anyone do anything special for the wet? Like chage sway settings.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by S0l08
^^^^^^Awesome!!
Looks like our event tomorow will be a wet one. Anyone do anything special for the wet? Like chage sway settings.
I try to get as much compliance as possible... shocks, sways, tires, driving...
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Row faster, I hear banjos

Originally Posted by iaus10
I try to get as much compliance as possible... shocks, sways, tires, driving...
+1 Disconnect the rear sway (on one side), soften the shocks all around and lower your tire pressures 4-5 psi (from your starting dry pressures).

That should be a reasonable starting point for setting up your STX car for the wet...
Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Cone Abuser

BAH, I really hope I can get a new tire by the end of the month... and I hope when I get the tire off and on a balance wheel, the rim isn't bent (though there is a chip):

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

^Bummer. What happened - a pot hole strike?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

I held off on any changes for the rain. Mainly because I'm lazy. Rain stopped about 7:30 and by the afternoon runs tha course was dry and fast. So I'm glad I'm lazy. Ended up 2nd in PAX.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Cone Abuser

Originally Posted by GeorgeH
^Bummer. What happened - a pot hole strike?
Honestly, I wish I knew. I never did figure it out... I'm waiting for a new tire still

I got the old tire off the RPF1 though and this is the first time I've had one of these rims tireless. It's crazy how light they feel!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Anijo
I got the old tire off the RPF1 though and this is the first time I've had one of these rims tireless. It's crazy how light they feel!
Did the rim survive? Any damage other than the chip?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM

2010 NE Divisional...

Figured I'd update the STX thread with my results from the NE Divisional held at Fedex Stadium this past weekend...

The STX class had 14 drivers including a few past NT winners like Adam Koback and Andrew Weigel (won ST and STX respectively at last year's Finger Lakes NT). Adam is in a WRX for 2010 as are a number of fast WDCR WRX drivers like John Willemin and Travis Finlay, etc. Gary Krichbaum from my local SCCA region co-drove with me at this event.

After a tight battle on Day 1 which saw the top 6 separated by ~0.6 seconds, the class stood as follows:

Gary (RX8) - 56.4
Chike (RX8) - 56.6 (coned away a 55.9)
Kevin (WRX) - 56.7
Adam (WRX) - 56.8
Travis (WRX) - 56.8
John (WRX) - 57.0

On Day 2, only 3 drivers managed to get into the 52's on clean runs. John and Travis managed best runs of 53.3 and 53.8 respectively and finished 5th and 6th in the class. Kevin turned a clean 52.9 but fell to 4th, behind my co-driver Gary who's fastest run was a clean 53.1. Adam ran the fastest raw time of 52.0+1 but had to stand on a clean 52.6 and finished in 2nd overall. I lead the class with a clean 52.2 second run which moved me into the top spot.

A few thoughts- I'm extremely happy with my suspension settings/alignment/tire pressures at the moment. Both Gary and I found my car's handling at the limit to be very predictable and easy to control. A big thanks to Sam Strano for his set-up advice!

Results: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.a...=1663&mid=3490

PAX: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.a...=1663&mid=3490

I haven't posted many action pics of my car in this thread, so here's some from this weekend:

Entering the showcase

Into the final turn before the finish

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
mkuhnracing.com

^Lookin good Chike!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
悪魔のR

Lookin good Chike! Congrats at pulling in 2nd place, certainly looked like a constant head to head battle with everyone else. Awesome pics too. Would be awesome having you out here for a MA event man, like this weekend or something. :D
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
mkuhnracing.com

^Chike finished first...Not second...

Gosh Marc do you even read

:P
Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks Mike and Marc!
Originally Posted by Zelse
Lookin good Chike! Congrats at pulling in 2nd place
Btw Marc, I was second after day 1, but finished 1st after Day 2. My car finished 1st and 3rd for the weekend.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TopGear8
^Chike finished first...Not second...

Gosh Marc do you even read

:P

Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
05-08 SCCA BS Natl Champ

If anyone is interested... We are preparing a lot of our archived features for possible use online. I went ahead and copied the complete SportsCar STX RX-8 build to a PDF host site, just click on the link, and then stxrx8.pdf:

http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Act...251e50748f8352
Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Not yet famous

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool. Thanks Jason.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The STX thread!