RX8Club.com
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read RX8 Live!Used CarsVendor Directory

Go Back   RX8Club.com > Series I Tech & Performance > Series I Tech Garage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to RX8Club.com!
Welcome to RX8Club.com,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered
 
kellybrf's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: columbus, oh
Posts: 861
false oil warning, has any one else experienced this?

recently my oil light likes to come on. ive had it happen twice in the past two weeks, and both times the dip stick was reading half-way between the empty and full lines. the first time i thought it was odd b/c i had checked it the previous morning, but added a half quart and didnt think much about it. checked it the next morning and it was indeed a bit above the half way point. well again on wednesday it came on sitting at a red light (flat road,) but i was only about a mile from home so i decided to ride it out. turned off the car and checked it while hot and it was about half way. started it back up to pull into my garage and the light was off, next morning i checked it cold and it was still half way. has anyone else been experiencing this and should i worry about it?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
__________________
-brian
kellybrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Compression Tester Man
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mont Alto, PA
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf
recently my oil light likes to come on. ive had it happen twice in the past two weeks, and both times the dip stick was reading half-way between the empty and full lines. the first time i thought it was odd b/c i had checked it the previous morning, but added a half quart and didnt think much about it. checked it the next morning and it was indeed a bit above the half way point. well again on wednesday it came on sitting at a red light (flat road,) but i was only about a mile from home so i decided to ride it out. turned off the car and checked it while hot and it was about half way. started it back up to pull into my garage and the light was off, next morning i checked it cold and it was still half way. has anyone else been experiencing this and should i worry about it?
Maybe a loose connector on the oil pan sensor? Had mine fall off while driving home after purchasing the car. Very disconcerting to say the least.

Also, there is an oil pan service bulletin/recall that might apply to your car if it was an early build.
Go48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Mu ha.. ha...
 
Razz1's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 14,290
There is a TSB on this.

Apparently it occurs around 4,000 RPM when your oil is low.

Really Go48? Samething happened to me after I bought mine, except they didn't fill up the car with all the oil. Luckly I was only 1/2 mile from home and short 1 1/4 quarts.
__________________


Boy... am I beautiful!
Razz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Compression Tester Man
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mont Alto, PA
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1
Really Go48? Samething happened to me after I bought mine, except they didn't fill up the car with all the oil. Luckly I was only 1/2 mile from home and short 1 1/4 quarts.
Go48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Registered
 
kellybrf's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: columbus, oh
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1
There is a TSB on this.

Apparently it occurs around 4,000 RPM when your oil is low.

it was not close to low and occured at idle
kellybrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Compression Tester Man
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mont Alto, PA
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf
it was not close to low and occured at idle
Take it to a dealer and have them read the Diagnostic Trouble Code related to the CEL which can be retrieved from the PCM by the service tech. We'd be interested in the code, as I'm sure you would.
Go48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3
I have had the same problem. Took it in and there is a service bulletin to address the problem. The fix includes installing a new oil pan which contains an oil sensor. Parts will take 2 days to arrive. Covered under warranty.
rotarydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
X-Sapper
 
army_rx8's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where angle's fear to tread
Posts: 2,404
Send a message via AIM to army_rx8 Send a message via Yahoo to army_rx8
i had this happen to me...faulty oil sensor in teh oil pan....replaced at no cost by dealership :D

only took me a day though:p
army_rx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 PM
RX8Club
Mazda RX8




Paid Advertisement


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.
Emails Backup