Notices
New Member Forum A place for new members to get their feet wet

Atkins rotary rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atkins rotary rebuild kit

So i am looking around for a complete kit to re work the blown emgine in my new project. Has anyone ever used the master kit from atkins rotary. It seems like a good kit and decent price. I havent worked on a rotary yet so my question is, what is the quality of the kit like also is there anything else i will need to do the job from start to finish beside the obvious like coils,plugs and wires. Also dont know what the rotors or the housings look like yet but i am planning on having the housings resurfaced. Thabks for any feedback and advice
Old 11-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Modulated Moderator

Received 335 Likes on 290 Posts
Not a big fan of the seals......seen more problems than solutions

Stick with OEM seals unless you are doing FI...and then think about going to 2mm RX7 seals. That requires a lot of machining and extra cost but seems to last better
Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression that the seals in the Atkins kit are the OEM seals. At least I hope that's the case, because I just used seals I bought from Atkins in my rebuild. You can opt for the Atkins inner water seal, but you don't have to.

They have a phone number on their site, and they answered the phone right away when I called them. It might be worth calling them to ask if the seals are OEM.

Last edited by gummyAvenger; 11-24-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Modulated Moderator

Received 335 Likes on 290 Posts
I was talking about the apex and corner seals....not the soft seals
Old 11-24-2016, 01:23 PM
ZiG
05 GT

I've used the kit. By default they include their apex and corner seals but I paid extra for oem. The kit was very complete and all the parts were bagged and labeled so no trouble finding anything. I also bought their instructional dvd to watch before and during the build. Couple minor differences between the 13b example in the video and the renny, but no big deal. Having that video was immensely helpful. They even included torque specs, clearances and how to trim the side seals. Make sure you select the oil cutoff seals when you order, some ppl exclude them to save a dime but I don't understand that. I even got new rotor/main bearings with my kit.

As for the people, I found them very knowledgeable and helpful whenever I had a question. Would definitely recommend them to anyone, and would do business with them again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 PM
RX-Heaven

Received 181 Likes on 148 Posts
^^ Very good advice right there. I also recommend the Atkins video. It's been on the market for quite some time now and it will guide you in the path of doing the job properly.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 AM

Great news and very helpful advice. I went ahead and just placed the order for the kit and got oem apex seals to go with it. I will make sure i post a bunch of pic and questions along the way. Just sucks i wont be able to start on the car till i get back in town around chriatmas but i know i will need them and they will atleast be there when i am ready.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:10 AM
SARX Legend

Received 453 Likes on 367 Posts
That's good you got the OEM seals, my buddy bought the kit with the Atkins cryo treated seals and they were scalloped right out of the box. He did not spec them because they were "hand checked by Mr. Atkins himself" and he ended up tearing his engine apart after it wouldn't even run down the street.

This what we found when it was pulled back apart. And he had bought quite a bit of parts from Atkins (he has rebuilt 6 or 7 Renesis engines )up to that point but after they handled the ordeal poorly he sources parts elsewhere now. It was a lesson learned for him, he now specs every part, even if it is new. he replaced the Apex seals with OEM ones and the engine now has over 50k on it and still runs strong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.