Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

5w20 vs 5w30

Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
  #26  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use 5w-20

USA: 5w-20
HOT CLIMATES: 5w-30 (74įF +)

Why?
If the oil grade is too thick it won't lubricate the contact between the APPEX seal and rotor housing.

Misconception: there's a misconception going around that thicker oil = more protection. This is FALSE. Stop putting heavy V6 & V8(XW-40+) oil on a freaking 1.3L tighlty compact engine. Trust me I followed this fad and that's how my first RX8 went to ****.

By the way: if you use THICK grade oil it will wear out your seals faster on COLD-STARTUPS. Trust me just use 5w-20 and pre-mix if your going to rip it in the Northeast states. It's how I maintain my RX8 as a daily driver and it fixed a bunch of my problems.

Tips: 5w-30 is a big difference from 5w-20 on rotary engines. We're talking really tightly compact engines. If the oil is too thick it's flow rate may be slower.

If your car is smoking blue on cold startups for a really long time MY POINT EXACTLY

EDIT: If your claim is to use heavier oil as a method to maintain cool temperature on the engine. You suck.. Get a better radiator, better oil coolers or an early fan trigger. If you go with a cheap option such as just using thicker oil you are going to get CHEAP results.

ALSO ALSO: I noticed from running several test that thicker grade oil has raised the engine load % on my engine.

Last edited by Eros Nunez; 01-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Eros Nunez is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM
  #27  
What am I doing here?
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 2017 Miata RF Launch Edition
Posts: 3,309
Received 465 Likes on 376 Posts
Lets see your data to support the claim that 5w-30 won't adequately lube the apex seals.
NotAPreppie is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM
  #28  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Lets see your data to support the claim that 5w-30 won't adequately lube the apex seals.
​​​​​​
5w-30 is perfectly healthy for summer drives but it will wear out your engine in the winter (40į and below)

My personal recommendation is:
Track: 5w-30(temps must be 65įF+)
Winter/spring: 5w-20 + pre-mix if your ripping it.

Anything heavier than 5w-30 will cause friction between the seals. You must remember the space between the housing and the seals is VERY small. Thicker grade oil will just get dragged by the seals and not flow in between the seals and the housing. Which is what we want.
Eros Nunez is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM
  #29  
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,287
Received 330 Likes on 303 Posts
Aside from reviving an 11-year-old thread...

I do agree that 5W-20 is adequate for cooler climates. This is what I use for spirited DD and occasional AutoX.

But some people have used XW-40 without issues, and in fact, I would use it if my car sees track time. You need that thicker oil for tracking where your RPM, load and temperature will be so high the thinner 20 oil will break down.

See the UOA thread if you want data.
UnknownJinX is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 PM
  #30  
Registered
 
Fijibluefg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Iíve been using pennzoil yellow bottle @ 10w40 as per the recommendation of several Rotary engine builders. Iím in FL so weather is typically near HELL conditions but right now it does dip into the 30s-40sF in the AM startup. I wanted to switch to something thinner for winter temps but honestly... the pour point of the 10w40 is freakin -38F!!!! As per the data sheet. I donít think flow is an issue @ 40F in the morning. Lol.

I run the car HARD daily as soon as it warms up.
Fijibluefg2 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 PM
  #31  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Orlando and occasionally Miami and San Diego
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fijibluefg2 View Post
Iíve been using pennzoil yellow bottle @ 10w40 as per the recommendation of several Rotary engine builders. Iím in FL so weather is typically near HELL conditions but right now it does dip into the 30s-40sF in the AM startup. I wanted to switch to something thinner for winter temps but honestly... the pour point of the 10w40 is freakin -38F!!!! As per the data sheet. I donít think flow is an issue @ 40F in the morning. Lol.

I run the car HARD daily as soon as it warms up.
My engine builder told me yesterday to get 10-40 for the engine hes currently doing for me. I also live in Central/south FL so Im going to be doing this as well. I first thought it might be too thick but I let the car warm up for a good 5-10 mins before I go anywhere. And the car parks in the hot sun so its always over 90 degrees under the hood.



sorry pics are so BIG!
RichieR is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:45 PM
  #32  
What am I doing here?
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 2017 Miata RF Launch Edition
Posts: 3,309
Received 465 Likes on 376 Posts
Heck, in Florida you could probably go with 20w-40 or 20w-50.

I disagree with your engine builder that you should let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving it. The period from cold start to warm up is when a large amount of carbon is produced. Doing things to minimize this time (i.e. driving while keeping the RPM's under 4-5k) is a good plan.
NotAPreppie is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 PM
  #33  
Registered Lunatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Tamas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 3,485
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Warming up the car for 5-10 minutes accomplishes only one thing: wasting fuel.
Tamas is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM
  #34  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Orlando and occasionally Miami and San Diego
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
I disagree with your engine builder that you should let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving it...
Ok, thanks for your input. In his defense, he never told me to let the car warm up for 5-10 (just the part about 10/40)
RichieR is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:48 PM
  #35  
What am I doing here?
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 2017 Miata RF Launch Edition
Posts: 3,309
Received 465 Likes on 376 Posts
Originally Posted by RichieR View Post
Ok, thanks for your input. In his defense, he never told me to let the car warm up for 5-10 (just the part about 10/40)
Me not reed gud.
NotAPreppie is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM
  #36  
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,284
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Love my 5W-20, now in its 14th year of exclusive use in my Ď05 RX-8. ❤️
New Yorker is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:10 PM
  #37  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,329
Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
Are we rehashing the oil wars again? Mobil 1 0W40 for me, changed every 3K miles, with a filter change every 6K miles.

Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
Love my 5W-20, now in its 14th year of exclusive use in my ‘05 RX-8. ❤️
Sure, but don't you have something like 5 miles on your car?

.

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 04-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Steve Dallas is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
  #38  
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,287
Received 330 Likes on 303 Posts
I currently have 60+k and I am sure my car has only ever seen 5W-20. Works fine. I don't track or live in a hot climate, though.
UnknownJinX is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM
  #39  
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,284
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Sure, but don't you have something like 5 miles on your car?
Yeah, something like 5 miles. Lemme check... oh, 47.5K miles. You’re only off by 46,995 miles. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a long-standing false rx8club.com narrative, right?

Last edited by New Yorker; 04-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.
New Yorker is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM
  #40  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,329
Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
Yeah, something like 5 miles. Lemme check... oh, 47.5K miles. You’re only off by 46,995 miles. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a long-standing false rx8club.com narrative, right?
Mileage is what matters. Fourteen years is a great run, but 48K miles is pretty close to half the expected lifespan of the Renesis, according to several engine builders. My 2011 has 45K miles, and many are hard track miles. One recent compression test has the engine as average or barely failing, depending on whether you believe the equipment normalized the results. This is pretty much inline with the expected lifespan. I am taking it out for a 3 day Italian tune-up this weekend, then to a different dealer for another compression test to hopefully discover the truth.

I'm not a hater; I love my 8. But, I do deal in facts, and many people would expect a 14 year-old car to have ~160K miles on it. Forty-eight thousand is much lower than average for a car of that age, and I find it a bit disingenuous to report only the car's age.

.

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 04-22-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Steve Dallas is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:15 PM
  #41  
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,284
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I'm not a hater; I love my 8. But, I do deal in facts, and many people would expect a 14 year-old car to have ~160K miles on it. Forty-eight thousand is much lower than average for a car of that age, and I find it a bit disingenuous to report only the car's age.
So, in other words, 14+ years ownership without a single engine problem doesnít really count if there are only 47.5K miles on the car. 14+ years ownership with no engine problems is only meaningful if said car has 160K miles on it. Or, put another way, 47.5K miles with not one engine problem ainít news for the Renesis if I took my time racking up that mileage. Because... because... having many days off between rides gave my car time to magically heal itself of any developing compression issues! Instead of my seals wearing down like so many Renesis seals allegedly do (well, the ones we read about on internet forums, anyway), mine, sitting quietly in a dark garage for four, five, six, maybe ten days between rides, had a secret advantage! They could magically restore... yeah, thatís it, restore themselves back to spec, not unlike the way Christine could heal and renew herself overnight in what I used to think was a fictional movie!!!

Got it.
New Yorker is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 03:38 AM
  #42  
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,287
Received 330 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
So, in other words, 14+ years ownership without a single engine problem doesnít really count if there are only 47.5K miles on the car. 14+ years ownership with no engine problems is only meaningful if said car has 160K miles on it. Or, put another way, 47.5K miles with not one engine problem ainít news for the Renesis if I took my time racking up that mileage. Because... because... having many days off between rides gave my car time to magically heal itself of any developing compression issues! Instead of my seals wearing down like so many Renesis seals allegedly do (well, the ones we read about on internet forums, anyway), mine, sitting quietly in a dark garage for four, five, six, maybe ten days between rides, had a secret advantage! They could magically restore... yeah, thatís it, restore themselves back to spec, not unlike the way Christine could heal and renew herself overnight in what I used to think was a fictional movie!!!

Got it.
Steve actually has a point. 48k miles are very low considering a 14+-year-old car.

There are parts that are more related to age, like a bunch of plastic parts(although more heat cycles still would break them faster) and brake fluid, but engine wear is definitely mileage related. The less you drive it, the less wear there will be. There are zero problems I see with that logic.

No one said your car will magically heal itself. The point is that your car will very likely have less wear than Steve's or my car because we have more mileage.

And there is a reason oil threads always go to ****. Just realize each person's use case is different so one choice that works for one person won't work for another. As long as you have a valid argument behind your reasoning, keep doing what you are doing, and just agree to disagree with others.
UnknownJinX is online now  
Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 AM
  #43  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Invercargill
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10w 40 in my 05 RX8, weekend runner only as I have a work vehicle so look forward to my weekends big time to put my baby through her paces.
NewRotary is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 AM
  #44  
Registered
 
0-TO-100_Real_Quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 93
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is coming up on 130k miles. I bought the car with around 70k miles, still original engine. Only ever used 5w-20.

I try to keep oil change frequency to around every 7,000 miles.

I'm debating whether to even pursue the Sohn modification at this point.
0-TO-100_Real_Quick is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM
  #45  
Chief Meteobraptologist
iTrader: (1)
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,667
Received 304 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
So, in other words, 14+ years ownership without a single engine problem doesnít really count if there are only 47.5K miles on the car. 14+ years ownership with no engine problems is only meaningful if said car has 160K miles on it. Or, put another way, 47.5K miles with not one engine problem ainít news for the Renesis if I took my time racking up that mileage. Because... because... having many days off between rides gave my car time to magically heal itself of any developing compression issues! Instead of my seals wearing down like so many Renesis seals allegedly do (well, the ones we read about on internet forums, anyway), mine, sitting quietly in a dark garage for four, five, six, maybe ten days between rides, had a secret advantage! They could magically restore... yeah, thatís it, restore themselves back to spec, not unlike the way Christine could heal and renew herself overnight in what I used to think was a fictional movie!!!

Got it.
I don't get it, are you arguing against your own point?
If you don't drive the car, the seals don't deteriorate. So the only thing that matters is mileage, of which you have an unremarkable amount to claim some superiority over other owners whose engines have failed, or over the notion that engines fail.
Loki is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM
  #46  
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,287
Received 330 Likes on 303 Posts
And speaking of seals... I think oil won't make as much of a difference once sprayed into the combustion chamber. The bearings will be more sensitive to the viscosity of the oil.
UnknownJinX is online now  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 PM
  #47  
Registered
 
Fijibluefg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 0-TO-100_Real_Quick View Post
Mine is coming up on 130k miles. I bought the car with around 70k miles, still original engine. Only ever used 5w-20.

I try to keep oil change frequency to around every 7,000 miles.

I'm debating whether to even pursue the Sohn modification at this point.
sweet mother of pearl... and here I am doing quick drain n fills every 1,500 miles (leaving the oil filter alone for several more oil changes) with 10w40 to insure adequate viscosity at all times. Hmmmmm.
Fijibluefg2 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM
  #48  
What am I doing here?
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 2017 Miata RF Launch Edition
Posts: 3,309
Received 465 Likes on 376 Posts
Mine sees track days and autocross several times per month for 9 months of the year. I run Castrol Syntec 0W-40 changed every 2k miles with a filter every 4k.
NotAPreppie is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:23 PM
  #49  
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,284
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I don't get it, are you arguing against your own point?
If you don't drive the car, the seals don't deteriorate. So the only thing that matters is mileage, of which you have an unremarkable amount to claim some superiority over other owners whose engines have failed, or over the notion that engines fail.
So then 47.5K+ miles with not a single engine problem to date is about right for the Renesis.

Got it.
New Yorker is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM
  #50  
The Blue Blur
iTrader: (3)
 
sonicsdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Green Hill Zone Running in Loops
Posts: 1,296
Received 716 Likes on 551 Posts
Iím selling popcorn for people reading the comments.
{\__/}
( ē . ē)
/ >🍿
▪Regular 🍿- $2.00
▪Large🍿- $4.00
▪Extra butter .50 cents.
{\__/}
( ē ᴗ ē)
🥤৵ \ ▪Add a Pepsi for only $1
{\__/}
( ˘ᴗ˘ )
🍕৵ \ ▪ Pizza slices - $3.00
sonicsdaman is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by sonicsdaman:
mazdaverx7 (06-18-2019), NotAPreppie (06-10-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5w20 vs 5w30


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.