Notices
Series I Aftermarket Performance Modifications Discussion of power adding modifications
Sponsored by:

BHR Radiator

Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
  #26  
Registered
 
bcdjudo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wcs View Post
Email Charles at BHR and ask him.

[email protected]

It wouldn't surprise me if he offered to actually call the installer directly to speak with him


Yeah i actually already did ... just thought maybe someone had the experience already.
bcdjudo7 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
  #27  
Registered RX8 Nut
iTrader: (11)
 
Highway8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 1,366
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 suggestions to improve the BHR radiator. The first is that there should be some quality foam included for the installer to add where needed.

2nd: As a performance option, I would like to see a Heat dispersant coating option to improve efficiency. Some companies are claiming that when applied to metal substrates in a free flowing air enviroment, the coating increases thermal transfer up to 35-40% versus uncoated metal substrates. Even a 10% increase would help, especialy for FI track guys.
Highway8 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
  #28  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Blacknightz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 918
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highway8 View Post
I have 2 suggestions to improve the BHR radiator. The first is that there should be some quality foam included for the installer to add where needed.

2nd: As a performance option, I would like to see a Heat dispersant coating option to improve efficiency. Some companies are claiming that when applied to metal substrates in a free flowing air enviroment, the coating increases thermal transfer up to 35-40% versus uncoated metal substrates. Even a 10% increase would help, especialy for FI track guys.

Great suggestions! Especially the foam part... was a hassle trying to find one to replace the owrn out one at the time...
Blacknightz is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
  #29  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: macon, georgia
Posts: 10,771
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what we really need is an a/c condensor relocation kit.
OD
olddragger is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  #30  
I zoom therefore I am.
 
laythor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,919
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles R. Hill View Post
I was thinking of something else, altogether..........
BHR rad v 2.0?
laythor is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
  #31  
Registered RX8 Nut
iTrader: (11)
 
Highway8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 1,366
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles R. Hill View Post
I was thinking of something else, altogether..........
I am curious. Still waiting on that call, but I have to sleep. So this evening if you can. I have a few other questions too.
Highway8 is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 AM
  #32  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Blacknightz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 918
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olddragger View Post
what we really need is an a/c condensor relocation kit.
OD

Another excellent thoughtz... i always dreamt of mounting a fan suction kit to have constant air going through it...
Blacknightz is offline  
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
  #33  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought BHR Radiator 9/2009 and finally installed on 4/2010, car had 62K miles on it at that time.

Right now I have 91K and while replacing A/C Condenser (located right at front of the radiator) I noticed this:
Top-right corner http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8...d17a4cb4_o.jpg
Bottom-right corner http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8...dd0b4a36_o.jpg

According to my records I changed fluid last time on 3/2011 (my Mazmart water pump failed so I had to replace it along with coolant).
Do not recall topping it off much - may be once or twice in these two years.

Question is - do I have a leak or perhaps this is just an old spill?

This may be not related but if after somewhat hard driving I'll stop at the traffic light and idle for 2+ min I can sense pretty strong smell - it' kind of sweet smell.
My front crank seal leaking and I'll be replacing it soon so naturally I thought it is oil burning but I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited by _Alex_; 02-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
_Alex_ is offline  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM
  #34  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Blacknightz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 918
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Alex_ View Post
I bought BHR Radiator 9/2009 and finally installed on 4/2010, car had 62K miles on it at that time.

Right now I have 91K and while replacing A/C Condenser (located right at front of the radiator) I noticed this:
Top-right corner http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8...d17a4cb4_o.jpg
Bottom-right corner http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8...dd0b4a36_o.jpg

According to my records I changed fluid last time on 3/2011 (my Mazmart water pump failed so I had to replace it along with coolant).
Do not recall topping it off much - may be once or twice in these two years.

Question is - do I have a leak or perhaps this is just an old spill?

This may be not related but if after somewhat hard driving I'll stop at the traffic light and idle for 2+ min I can sense pretty strong smell - it' kind of sweet smell.
My front crank seal leaking and I'll be replacing it soon so naturally I thought it is oil burning but I'm not so sure anymore.

cant tell from the pictures what might exactly have happened... might just be a coolant spill while they were replacing the coolant...
Blacknightz is offline  
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
  #35  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: macon, georgia
Posts: 10,771
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
that is a coolant stain, but if you are not having to add coolant and your temps are ok--then it could be a spill/overflow type stain.
Once a radiator develops a leak it is usually pretty evident. Althought some newer types of antifreeze have some leak sealing ability.
Have it pressure tested to be safe, it would be my luck that I would be 100 miles away from home, the leak would worsen and put me beside the road..
olddragger is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM
  #36  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacknightz View Post
Since there is no specific thread for the BHR Radiator, i thought i started one so that it gives those with questions about it, direct answers.

First off, id like to thank Charles for the great help he has given me on the questions i have raised and on the items i have purchased from him. Service is excellent and highly recommended!!!

Secondly, id like to thank Todd for previously answering my questions on clutches. If not, i wouldnt have spent time sitting down on the computer and concentrated more on work to recover the funds i have spent on my darlingz 8...

So here goes...

BHR Radiator is actually from Griffin Thermal Products. They have been in the American Racing scene for a very long time and is a respected & reputable brand. BHR first offered the BHR Radiator to Automatic owners who were looking for quality aftermarket radiators. Not many (or maybe none) were offering at the time. Demand grew and they began producing for Manual Transmission Owners. This Demand is due to the quality and ability of the said radiator and thus the popularity!

It is an ideal aftermarket radiator for our Rx-8 as it is not only able to provide quicker reduction of cooling temperatures with its core design... It is still compact, similar to OEM stock radiator measurements for a direct replacement. This is a good thing as our Rx-8 Engine Bay has little room to play with. Furthermore, it is even compatible with FI powered Rx-8

If you have done your research, there are a couple of aftermarket radiators for our 8. Re-Amemiya, Knight Sports, GReddy, Power Agency, Mishimoto, Koyo etc...
Re-Amemiya, KS & GReddy are great radiators but they are highly overpriced. Power Agency is a new company (i think, correct me if im' wrong, even so, not reputable.. yet) I think most of the guys here can explain better as to why Mishimoto is not recommeded and for Koyo... Charles mentioned that it had some issues with certain Rx-8. Maybe he can clarify better.

So that leaves with BHR and one more i can remember is Mazmart Radiator. Both are reasonably priced. They are made by Rx-8 enthusiasts (which is very important!). So it was down to the two (or three for me as i was still considering Koyo) and so i decided on BHR based on their prompt response and service.

Order made, Payment sent ;( ... Radiator made to order, Waiting.................. The Arrival! Long story short, had it installed months after i received it due to work load. Weeks passed with the BHR radiator on, monitoring... BHR has performed up to expectations. Water Temperature were around 84 degrees to 92 degrees during the hot days and 82 to 89 degrees during the night. (The night is too low i think, havent had Jeff tune it yet). Did some minor tracking, and the Radiator was able to keep temperatures below 100degrees! The important thing to note is not the numbers but the ability to keep the temperatures back down or maintain it at acceptable range during tracking.

Overall, im happy and satisfied with the BHR Radiator as it is up to my expectations. However there are 2 things that i feel could be made to improve the products. Firstly, i think (i think only) that this radiator is based on an old concept where they are still using plastics at the top and bottom of the radiator (i will point it out in the pictures below) where unlike koyos, they place aluminium in which is a good conductor for cooling. Secondly, the finish of the radiator. Yes it looks new but it could be improved. Koyo's finish is shiny and i think that too helps in the looks and heat rejection department. So i hope this will be incorporated in future productions and help improve BHR as a whole. Thirdly.... Wait? did i mention a third? oh yar... I did not get the BHR sticker on my rad! ;(

I am in no way affiliated with BHR, just a customer and reviewing the product as it is and just my 2 cents...
PS: If there is any mistakes made, do let me knw. Will update on this radiator further as i have changed the layout of my radiator placement. and if anyone has done 2nd radiator installed, do PM me of the plans or pics... Much appreciated, thank u.
How much did the BHR radiator cost you?
Jmanie9515 is offline  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 PM
  #37  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacknightz View Post
Since there is no specific thread for the BHR Radiator, i thought i started one so that it gives those with questions about it, direct answers.

First off, id like to thank Charles for the great help he has given me on the questions i have raised and on the items i have purchased from him. Service is excellent and highly recommended!!!

Secondly, id like to thank Todd for previously answering my questions on clutches. If not, i wouldnt have spent time sitting down on the computer and concentrated more on work to recover the funds i have spent on my darlingz 8...

So here goes...

BHR Radiator is actually from Griffin Thermal Products. They have been in the American Racing scene for a very long time and is a respected & reputable brand. BHR first offered the BHR Radiator to Automatic owners who were looking for quality aftermarket radiators. Not many (or maybe none) were offering at the time. Demand grew and they began producing for Manual Transmission Owners. This Demand is due to the quality and ability of the said radiator and thus the popularity!

It is an ideal aftermarket radiator for our Rx-8 as it is not only able to provide quicker reduction of cooling temperatures with its core design... It is still compact, similar to OEM stock radiator measurements for a direct replacement. This is a good thing as our Rx-8 Engine Bay has little room to play with. Furthermore, it is even compatible with FI powered Rx-8

If you have done your research, there are a couple of aftermarket radiators for our 8. Re-Amemiya, Knight Sports, GReddy, Power Agency, Mishimoto, Koyo etc...
Re-Amemiya, KS & GReddy are great radiators but they are highly overpriced. Power Agency is a new company (i think, correct me if im' wrong, even so, not reputable.. yet) I think most of the guys here can explain better as to why Mishimoto is not recommeded and for Koyo... Charles mentioned that it had some issues with certain Rx-8. Maybe he can clarify better.

So that leaves with BHR and one more i can remember is Mazmart Radiator. Both are reasonably priced. They are made by Rx-8 enthusiasts (which is very important!). So it was down to the two (or three for me as i was still considering Koyo) and so i decided on BHR based on their prompt response and service.

Order made, Payment sent ;( ... Radiator made to order, Waiting.................. The Arrival! Long story short, had it installed months after i received it due to work load. Weeks passed with the BHR radiator on, monitoring... BHR has performed up to expectations. Water Temperature were around 84 degrees to 92 degrees during the hot days and 82 to 89 degrees during the night. (The night is too low i think, havent had Jeff tune it yet). Did some minor tracking, and the Radiator was able to keep temperatures below 100degrees! The important thing to note is not the numbers but the ability to keep the temperatures back down or maintain it at acceptable range during tracking.

Overall, im happy and satisfied with the BHR Radiator as it is up to my expectations. However there are 2 things that i feel could be made to improve the products. Firstly, i think (i think only) that this radiator is based on an old concept where they are still using plastics at the top and bottom of the radiator (i will point it out in the pictures below) where unlike koyos, they place aluminium in which is a good conductor for cooling. Secondly, the finish of the radiator. Yes it looks new but it could be improved. Koyo's finish is shiny and i think that too helps in the looks and heat rejection department. So i hope this will be incorporated in future productions and help improve BHR as a whole. Thirdly.... Wait? did i mention a third? oh yar... I did not get the BHR sticker on my rad! ;(

I am in no way affiliated with BHR, just a customer and reviewing the product as it is and just my 2 cents...
PS: If there is any mistakes made, do let me knw. Will update on this radiator further as i have changed the layout of my radiator placement. and if anyone has done 2nd radiator installed, do PM me of the plans or pics... Much appreciated, thank u.

So another stupid question lol. where would I be able to buy the radiator? I'm new at all of this, and I'm slowly learning and was wanting to upgrade cooling before I did anything else. Also how much would it be? (wanting to be able to go on the track every now and than but also drive it to and from work) Thank you.
lovingmyrx8 is offline  
Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 AM
  #38  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,361
Received 181 Likes on 146 Posts
You can purchase BHR products at their web site. Pretty much everything they offer is highly recommended. While you are there, check out their ignition kit.

[Thanks for reminding me to email Charles today.]
Steve Dallas is offline  
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM
  #39  
Owner of BHR
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,101
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
I discontinued the BHR radiators a few years ago.
Charles R. Hill is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JimmyBlack
Series I Major Horsepower Upgrades
270
03-06-2019 10:56 PM
Carbon8
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
41
04-04-2016 04:05 PM
olyrx7
Canada For Sale/Wanted
2
10-26-2015 09:23 AM
Quiggs321
New Member Forum
19
09-30-2015 05:34 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BHR Radiator


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.