Trouble with water temp - Page 4 - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > RX-8 Competition > RX-8 Racing
Reload this Page >

Trouble with water temp

RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

Trouble with water temp

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 AM
  #76  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
^ I have just re-read all of your posts. According to what you have done, you should be running cool as a cucumber! I have 2 thoughts and am otherwise stumped:

1. Are you absolutely sure you have ALL the air bled from the system? Run the engine up to temperature with the front on jackstands and the coolant bottle cap off. Massage the top radiator hose after the thermostat starts to open to force air out. This might take up to 1 hour. (Some people cut the jiggly thing out of the thermostat on track cars. This helps bleed the system at the expense of taking longer to reach operating temp, but that might actually help you while sitting in the grid.)
I'm not absolutely sure. I don't know how I could be. I tend to 'pump' the lower radiator hose until it's done burping air out. Could there be more? I suppose.

Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
2. If you removed the rear hood gasket, that could have created problems for you. That is a positive pressure area where air is forced in from the base of the windshield. It could be working against your hood vents.
The previous owner did remove the rear hood gasket. I do have one, but I haven't installed it - only because the weather strips I put in were only to keep rain out during transport. The other RX-8 in my class definitely does not have that gasket, and he claims 185F on track.

Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Where are your hood vents located? They have to be in the right locations to work.
I put the hood vents where Singular specified with their template.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty stumped, too.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 AM
  #77  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any updates on this? Having pretty much the same issues over on my end
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 PM
  #78  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sunlight View Post
Any updates on this? Having pretty much the same issues over on my end
Nope, sorry. I'm stumped.

Over the winter I want to build an airdam, flat floor and proper ducting for the radiator and oil coolers. Maybe that will help? I have no idea. If you come up with anything, let me know!
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM
  #79  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going to test tomorrow. Just got the car out of the trailer for the storm so we will see .I've got new uprights and foam that I need to put in tonight
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 AM
  #80  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,092
Thanked 119 Times in 94 Posts
I keep coming back to Mr. Pockets having an obstruction or incorrect pressure differential somewhere. Those are the only things that make sense at this point.
Steve Dallas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 AM
  #81  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree. I will say just taping around my radiator at the track made a huge difference. I also think I had a pin hole leak in my coolant res to tstat housing honestly. I haven't been able to put it back threw the ringer yet. I think with the new radiator undertray and uprights I should be all set. I also bumped my fans down to 185 with my cobb. Not that it really should help that much on the track. The next step would be hood vents. Honestly the singular look to be over kill, but I'm not sure I could make anything nicer
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM
  #82  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I’d love to hear any suggestions you guys might have for finding an ‘obstruction or pressure differential.’

That’s not sarcasm. I mean it genuinely.

Also, I have a Cobb AP, but I’ve never gotten it to connect to a PC. It connects to the car and has Cobb tunes on it, but I have no idea what they do. If any of them might lower fan temp, they might be worth using - thought I think hat would likely only help at idle.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM
  #83  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have access tuner pro so I'm able to edit the maps and change some settings. Honestly the Cobb off the shelf tunes are **** I would advise to not using them
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 PM
  #84  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well, if I ever get mine to connect to the app on a PC, I'll bug you.

I've tried a couple different versions of the app.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
  #85  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I had to run access tuner in a windows 7 vm with a USB 2.0 hub. It has to be a 2.0 the RX-8 Cobb DOES NOT support going into .3.0 port. I have also not been able to get it to talk to windows 10. If you can send me your map I can at least bump down your fan kick on and send it back. Feel free to pm me.
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 04sunlight For This Useful Post:
Mr. Pockets (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:54 AM
  #86  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sunlight View Post
So I had to run access tuner in a windows 7 vm with a USB 2.0 hub. It has to be a 2.0 the RX-8 Cobb DOES NOT support going into .3.0 port. I have also not been able to get it to talk to windows 10. If you can send me your map I can at least bump down your fan kick on and send it back. Feel free to pm me.
I really appreciate the offer. I will get a Win7 VM running so I can send you the map that's on the car. It would be real nice to be able to try a lower fan temp next weekend at AB.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM
  #87  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds good to me man, Just shoot me a pm and i'll send you my email.

an update for my cooling, got the full lrb uprights on ( previously had just the undertray) and taped up around the rad for a test yesterday. It wasn't super hot out, but doing some hard 3rd gear pulls to redline, slow down and do again for about 10-15mins my temps never got past 205. Before the temp gauge would start to climb after 5-7mins of this ( at the time i never checked the real temps just watching the idiot gauge) So the combo of new radiator, uprights, undertray and forcing as much air as I can into the rad seems to have done it for me. Sadly I don't think i'm going to get any more hot lap days, if any at all this season, but we will see I'm hoping to go to VIR next month if i can swing the time off.
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM
  #88  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sunlight View Post
Sounds good to me man, Just shoot me a pm and i'll send you my email.

an update for my cooling, got the full lrb uprights on ( previously had just the undertray) and taped up around the rad for a test yesterday. It wasn't super hot out, but doing some hard 3rd gear pulls to redline, slow down and do again for about 10-15mins my temps never got past 205. Before the temp gauge would start to climb after 5-7mins of this ( at the time i never checked the real temps just watching the idiot gauge) So the combo of new radiator, uprights, undertray and forcing as much air as I can into the rad seems to have done it for me. Sadly I don't think i'm going to get any more hot lap days, if any at all this season, but we will see I'm hoping to go to VIR next month if i can swing the time off.
Did you block off all four sides of the radiator? I took the advice of leaving the right-hand side open. Though it looks like some of the foam has come free, so I may go in there and tape it up. I have some 'racers tape' I can use for the remaining few events.

How did you do that with the tray in place? There's so little room to squeeze arms in. And I have screens in the openings.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 AM
  #89  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
No screens for me, which helps, and i'm not a super big guy. I just reached in the smiley bumper and kept on taping. Currently one side is open, i don't recall which. Why would you leave one side open?
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM
  #90  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sunlight View Post
No screens for me, which helps, and i'm not a super big guy. I just reached in the smiley bumper and kept on taping. Currently one side is open, i don't recall which. Why would you leave one side open?
The suggestion was that leaving the right side open allowed more air to flow past the exhaust manifold.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 PM
  #91  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm.... Seems like some testing needs to be done. I could see some benefit perhaps. I need to get some temp probes and do something. Id like to see some data on that. I would lean towards the idea the more air going across the rad the better.
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:40 AM
  #92  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Data? DATA?! That goes against everything the dogmatic rotary world stands for!
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM
  #93  
^^^ Fluent in snark.
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 2,743
Thanked 319 Times in 254 Posts
Somebody has been spending too much time with the Purely group...
NotAPreppie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM
  #94  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,092
Thanked 119 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
Data? DATA?! That goes against everything the dogmatic rotary world stands for!
I had data at one time that showed, on my car, in my application, in my climate at least, that leaving the hot side partially open had little to no effect on coolant temps, but did help hold engine bay and transmission tunnel (and presumably transmission) temps down, where these had increased after blocking all 4 sides of the radiator.
Steve Dallas is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Dallas For This Useful Post:
Mr. Pockets (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 AM
  #95  
^^^ Fluent in snark.
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 2,743
Thanked 319 Times in 254 Posts
I think the hypothesis we reached based on your data was that there's diminishing returns as pressure at the nose of the car increases. There ends up being a bubble of high pressure that pushes air around so the amount of air going through stops increasing with car velocity. Leaving the right side open allows air to bypass the radiator but doesn't really decrease the airflow through the radiator because there's still enough air to create that high-pressure bubble at high speed.

Again, just a hypothesis (not even a theory in the non-colloquial sense) but it seems reasonable.
NotAPreppie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 AM
  #96  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You know, I wonder if my temperature problem could have anything to do with tune.

After following sunlight’s advice above to set up a Win7 virtual machine, I was finally able to connect to my Cobb AP. It reminded me that the tune on the car right now is Cobb’s ‘stock-like’ map.

The car uses a ****-ton of fuel - 2-3 gallons for a fifteen-minute session. Do these symptoms (high fuel use and high temps) suggest my tune is just garbage?

It also hit a max of 191hp when dyno-checked at the last event. Ambient temp was...high 80s? That max seemed within reason to me, but maybe it should be a little higher with a free-flowing exhaust and intake?
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 AM
  #97  
Put it in "H"!
iTrader: (1)
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 210 Times in 186 Posts
Depending on what type of dyno it was, 191 is a good result.
2-3 gallons per 15 minutes sounds about right too. Welcome to rotaries .Also depends how you measured that 2-3 gallons. The fuel level needs a bit of time to settle after vigorous driving. I see about 1/4 tank per 20-25 min session.

I'd certainly go back to stock and uninstall the Cobb just to remove that as a possibile contributor.

Last edited by Loki; 09-19-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Loki is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 AM
  #98  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds about what I use on the track. I need to take fuel out of the tune for sure. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong running rich honesntly should help cool things down if anything
04sunlight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM
  #99  
Water Foul
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,092
Thanked 119 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
I think the hypothesis we reached based on your data was that there's diminishing returns as pressure at the nose of the car increases. There ends up being a bubble of high pressure that pushes air around so the amount of air going through stops increasing with car velocity. Leaving the right side open allows air to bypass the radiator but doesn't really decrease the airflow through the radiator because there's still enough air to create that high-pressure bubble at high speed.

Again, just a hypothesis (not even a theory in the non-colloquial sense) but it seems reasonable.
Yep. That is it in a nutshell.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
You know, I wonder if my temperature problem could have anything to do with tune.

After following sunlight’s advice above to set up a Win7 virtual machine, I was finally able to connect to my Cobb AP. It reminded me that the tune on the car right now is Cobb’s ‘stock-like’ map.

The car uses a ****-ton of fuel - 2-3 gallons for a fifteen-minute session. Do these symptoms (high fuel use and high temps) suggest my tune is just garbage?

It also hit a max of 191hp when dyno-checked at the last event. Ambient temp was...high 80s? That max seemed within reason to me, but maybe it should be a little higher with a free-flowing exhaust and intake?
My car with stock S2 tune uses ~1/4 tank per 20 minutes on track. These cars make about 200WHP +/- 10WHP when perfectly healthy. 191WHP is within normal range--especially when warm outside and with a few miles on the engine. Be aware that some intakes, even the "good" ones, have the potential to rob power by a few HP.
Steve Dallas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:28 AM
  #100  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 426
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Yep. That is it in a nutshell.



My car with stock S2 tune uses ~1/4 tank per 20 minutes on track. These cars make about 200WHP +/- 10WHP when perfectly healthy. 191WHP is within normal range--especially when warm outside and with a few miles on the engine. Be aware that some intakes, even the "good" ones, have the potential to rob power by a few HP.
Yeah, I know that about intakes. Mine came with an AEM/Mazdaspeed intake. I've been told that it's a 'good' one, but I totally understand that it may make near as no difference.

Thanks.
Mr. Pockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
9krpmrx8
Series I Tech Garage
30
03-15-2011 04:39 PM
Siesta
Far East/Asia
8
08-12-2005 05:37 AM
takahashi
Australia/New Zealand Forum
17
09-04-2004 04:06 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: