Lap Times - Page 3 - RX8Club.com

Notices
RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

Lap Times

Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
  #51  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sonoma Raceway 21 Nov 2015

Sonoma Raceway 1:58.25

2006 RX-8 base model, Íhlins road&track coilovers, Nitto NT-01 245/45-17 on 17 x 8.5 RPF1s. I don't know about power but it pulls consistently and escapedan says flames shoot out of the exhaust sometimes I have a stock motor with bolt-ons (RB REVi intake, RB V3 PCM flash, header, midpipe, catback). Brake mods are SS lines, fluid, Hawk HT-10 pads, and DIY front cooling ducts using the sneed4speed caliper brackets.




Silver = escapedan
Phantom Blue = NorCalEight
Sonoma Raceway 21Nov2015
NorCalEight is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
  #52  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sonoma (long) 1:55.25
taken w/ iphone6 and Harry's Laptimer

2006 base, stock motor w/ intake & exhaust, Ohlins road&track coilovers, Nitto NT01 245/45-17
NorCalEight is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  #53  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
was hoping to have more times from Laguna, but turn 3 was wet all day, and I was hitting the DB limit, so ended up having to lift out of turn 5. Managed to put down a 1:50.xx on V710s though, so not bad!
pcs is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  #54  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
blu3dragon - did any of the R3 twin pics turn out?
pcs is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM
  #55  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalEight View Post
Sonoma Raceway 1:58.25

2006 RX-8 base model, Íhlins road&track coilovers, Nitto NT-01 245/45-17 on 17 x 8.5 RPF1s. I don't know about power but it pulls consistently and escapedan says flames shoot out of the exhaust sometimes I have a stock motor with bolt-ons (RB REVi intake, RB V3 PCM flash, header, midpipe, catback). Brake mods are SS lines, fluid, Hawk HT-10 pads, and DIY front cooling ducts using the sneed4speed caliper brackets.
Nice driving! Wish I could have been there the same day. Let me know when you next get out somewhere. My next date is likely to be TH west in Feb, but I could be talked into a day somewhere before then...
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 AM
  #56  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalEight View Post
Sonoma (long) 1:55.25 taken w/ iphone6 and Harry's Laptimer

2006 base, stock motor w/ intake & exhaust, Ohlins road&track coilovers, Nitto NT01 245/45-17
Did you mean 1:58.25? It's the same video as your earlier post. I need evidence of this 1:55.25 :-P

Last edited by blu3dragon; 12-16-2015 at 01:25 PM.
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM
  #57  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
was hoping to have more times from Laguna, but turn 3 was wet all day, and I was hitting the DB limit, so ended up having to lift out of turn 5. Managed to put down a 1:50.xx on V710s though, so not bad!
That's a good time considering the conditions. Nice driving. Good work on Sunday too, I think you were ~5s quicker than me in the wet!
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 12:41 PM
  #58  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
New personal worst :-)

2:19.088 Laguna Seca in Very Wet conditions. S2 Sport, coilovers, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 225/45/18 (commuter tires ).

I just could not find the grip, or confidence in the wet. In retrospect I should have played with the setup in the afternoon to try and get the car more stable, but to be honest I was pretty happy to just focus on consistency at that point and drive home in one piece at the end of the day.



Here's my best lap in the wet (the GPS timer has it as 2:18.88, compared to the track timing of 2:19.088):


A view of the conditions after retreating to the garage at the end of that lap:


And what happened when I tried to push a little with slightly slow reactions in the afternoon (shows up as the 6:04.477 lap on the timing):


Last edited by blu3dragon; 12-16-2015 at 01:02 PM.
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM
  #59  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
MagnusRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 324
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rain conditions are great practice! I wish we had more rain in SoCal! Seems like every time we get rain down here it stops by the start of the race and I'm kicking myself for putting on rains. I think my rain tires are seven years old... probably rocks by now!
MagnusRacing is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 06:08 PM
  #60  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MagnusRacing View Post
Rain conditions are great practice!
I completely agree, and clearly I need more practice It was like driving a different car at a different track.
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 PM
  #61  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blu3dragon View Post
I completely agree, and clearly I need more practice It was like driving a different car at a different track.
Am I right in saying it seemed like you were understeering through the turn in point on a lot of corners? Tough to tell from just the video.
AllBlack2 is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 PM
  #62  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AllBlack2 View Post
Am I right in saying it seemed like you were understeering through the turn in point on a lot of corners? Tough to tell from just the video.
I was driving past it. No issues with understeer. My problem was that I had no grip on the normal line where the rubber was, and also struggled with oversteer on exit, often as I was crossing the rubber laid down on the normal line. So, I braked and turned off the normal line, then apexed late, trying to get the car as straight as possible early on so I could get on the gas. Basically a wet Karting line. I can't tell you it worked though...

Last edited by blu3dragon; 12-16-2015 at 10:01 PM.
blu3dragon is offline  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:51 AM
  #63  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
that was great practice in the wet! The spin I did in turn 6 was almost the same spin, except i ended up off track just on the inside (before the wall) .

All this reinforces is that I need to get out more!
pcs is offline  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 AM
  #64  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blu3dragon View Post
I was driving past it. No issues with understeer. My problem was that I had no grip on the normal line where the rubber was, and also struggled with oversteer on exit, often as I was crossing the rubber laid down on the normal line. So, I braked and turned off the normal line, then apexed late, trying to get the car as straight as possible early on so I could get on the gas. Basically a wet Karting line. I can't tell you it worked though...
Makes sense. I've never had to deal with that much, it rains pretty frequently around here so there's not a lot of time to let the rubber and oils build up on the surface. Normally I would try to stick to the most used line, since other cars will sweep most of the standing water away. Doesn't work too well in heavy rain like you had though.
AllBlack2 is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM
  #65  
Registered
 
Quicker10u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1:26.8 at Roebling Road Raceway...Only Vid I got all day was this one at 1:27.1 as I ran out of memory on my GoPro and Phone

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EkfBKSlNXMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quicker10u is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 AM
  #66  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - 2:10.59 - R3, stock suspension, Kumho V710, DTC-60s, AEM CAI, RB midpipe & cat back.

Oddly enough, it was my first time there, posted this time mid 1st day, couldn't get back close to it on day 2... trying to drive fast instead of trying to drive smooth, I think.
pcs is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
  #67  
BECAUSE RACECAR
iTrader: (10)
 
Arca_ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - 2:10.59 - R3, stock suspension, Kumho V710, DTC-60s, AEM CAI, RB midpipe & cat back.

Oddly enough, it was my first time there, posted this time mid 1st day, couldn't get back close to it on day 2... trying to drive fast instead of trying to drive smooth, I think.
Chuckwalla is kind of deceiving, it seems like it would be a horsepower track but really it's a gigantic momentum track. Is that time CW or CCW? They run it both ways.

With the Miata (120WHP, 225/45R15 NT01, 2375lbs with driver) I was able to do 2:07 CW and 2:06 CCW, but with the way the car is set up now (125WHP, 205/50R15 Hoosier R7, 2375lbs with driver) I think I could get into the 2:04's in either direction.
Arca_ex is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 01:54 PM
  #68  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's clockwise. The turn over the hill gave me fits all day, haha. Any recommendations there for when I go back?
pcs is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 AM
  #69  
BECAUSE RACECAR
iTrader: (10)
 
Arca_ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
That's clockwise. The turn over the hill gave me fits all day, haha. Any recommendations there for when I go back?
You mean the off camber turn? That turn is a total throw away, you just have to hit your proper apex and set up the next corner to get a good run up the hill to the cork screw. If you can't hit the proper line through there or you start sliding or "falling off" of the corner then it just means you're going too fast.


Here's a video of a 2:01 lap in a '95 Miata. I believe it's like 150WHP and 2350lbs. Not sure what tire but I think it's a 225mm NT01. This is pretty much the same line I try to drive.

Arca_ex is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 AM
  #70  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's not TOO far off from what I'm doing... I'll have to save that video for the next time i'm out there! Thanks!
pcs is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM
  #71  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want to see some lap times from road atlanta daytona vir full course and amp nobody?
coolcars44 is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 PM
  #72  
Registered
 
Quicker10u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolcars44 View Post
i want to see some lap times from road atlanta daytona vir full course and amp nobody?
Running Road Atlanta Next Month with Skip Barber and then Daytona in April. I'll have video and telemetry for both...
Quicker10u is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM
  #73  
1% evil, 99% hot gas.
iTrader: (21)
 
wankelbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Forest Hill, MD
Posts: 1,058
Thanked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by coolcars44 View Post
i want to see some lap times from road atlanta daytona vir full course and amp nobody?
Well, about 5 years ago I was turning 2:22's like clockwork on VIR full with a passenger in the car. Last two laps on this video:


Gotdammit I can't believe it's been five years.
wankelbolt is offline  
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 PM
  #74  
Chief Meteobraptologist
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,435
Thanked 282 Times in 250 Posts
Hey guys, I updated the first post with times from the recent posts. Work has imposed a ban on editing/posting on forums, so I can only edit from home -- which I've forgotten to do

UP UP! Soon it won't be snowing any more, which means new laptimes north of VIR :o
Loki is offline  
Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
  #75  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 644
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hey guys, I updated the first post with times from the recent posts. Work has imposed a ban on editing/posting on forums, so I can only edit from home -- which I've forgotten to do

UP UP! Soon it won't be snowing any more, which means new laptimes north of VIR :o
Thanks, I was wondering where you went. I wasn't really intending you to post my wet time either, but fair enough!

I'm looking forward to the season in norcal, it seems like there is a lot of potential to spend time with fellow RX8s on track this year
blu3dragon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lap Times


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.