Notices
Non-Rotary Swaps Engine Swap Forum
Sponsored by:

SR20 Drift Build

Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
  #1  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SR20 Drift Build

Well since I sold the SR20 Altezza I've been itching to build something else but this time fingers crossed I'll actually get it onto a track. While Martin is sorting the KP61 (The keeper), I've been looking on donedeal for the right base car, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2004 Mazda RX8 231bhp model. I drove one of these for a few weeks years ago (Thanks D) and it left a lasting impression on me but you would feel cheated having driven an FD3S...

Kieran who joined up to Irish Rotary recently was looking for running gear from the above for an MX5 project so that suited me perfectly, alongside Bear aka Ross, we went up to Dublin, viewed the car and trailered it back to the workshop I'm currently breaking it to fund parts. I would love to stay Rotary and fit a 13B from the FD3S however reading up on the conversion on RX8Club.com and Brad Hackers thread on DW the cost of just getting the engine in and running on a single turbo alone would be the same as building a full equiped car running an SR. So cheap and cheerful it is.

Over the next few months I hope to build something useable with the help of D.R.T. Automotive, I hope we can turn out something unique. The plans for the car is to cage it (Thanks Mr. Stone), SR it and basically drive it on trackdays, hope to have it ready for around Easter all going well.

Current Spec :
Mazda RX8
SR20 Blacktop Engine, loom, ecu. Thanks to Gem
RB25 Gearbox, Prop, Shifter & Adapter Plate. Thanks to Alan Sinnott

Only have the car a sort while so will be spending time gathering parts for now along with Kieran who will getting the MX5 sorted. Here are the pic's of the car that we took on the way back from Dublin. I don't imagine there will be many more pic's for a few weeks. Shocking I know, the pic ***** is loosing his touch.


Name:  0002.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  106.0 KB
Name:  0003.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  94.9 KB
Name:  0004.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  0005.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  103.8 KB
Name:  0006.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  73.8 KB

These engines really are tiny !

Name:  0007.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  91.3 KB

Small update, the original heart is gone, time for the transplant LoL

Name:  0008.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  81.1 KB

And she's back home for a couple of weeks to go on a diet before she gets treated to a proper cage



Well it only took a couple of hours but already looks way better, started with full trim, still have to take out the doorcards, heater matrix, loom and sound proofing but happy for now...

Name:  0010.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  0011.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  79.7 KB
Name:  0012.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  0013.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  0014.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  0015.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  0016.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  0017.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  0018.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  106.1 KB
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
  #2  
Voids warranties
 
godesshunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern new england
Posts: 1,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive done some reading up about drifting the rx8. I know very little about pro drifting but I hear it gets difficult with the rx8 not being struts in the front. Something about lack of adequate turning radius. Do you plan to do anything about it? Check out this article. Thats where I heard about it. And good luck with your build.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...#ixzz1glBWHkle
godesshunter is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
  #3  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
bryan4140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wiscompton
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subed
bryan4140 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
  #4  
Boosted Kiwi
iTrader: (2)
 
Brettus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Y-cat-o NZ
Posts: 18,440
Received 269 Likes on 209 Posts
interested to hear how well this setup performs - keep the info coming .
Brettus is online now  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM
  #5  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a nice beginning. Too bad she won't be powered by our beloved engine
I understand the cost part though, really.

Any idea on the cage design? Based on it the rear brackets behind the seats may or may not be thrown away.

Will you seam weld the chassis? A new heart and kidney from the black market are cheaper than that but still...
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 PM
  #6  
Rotary Rocket
 
Dan507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: England
Posts: 238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks interesting man. SR20 Altezza? was the white one with the Silly wide Work Meisters?
Dan507 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
  #7  
04 NORDIC GREEN RX8
iTrader: (3)
 
willnordacgreen1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: brentwood tn
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godesshunter View Post
I hear it gets difficult with the rx8 not being struts in the front.

we definatly have struts up front... just saying.
willnordacgreen1211 is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 AM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 385
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willnordacgreen1211 View Post
we definatly have struts up front... just saying.
lol I was thinking the same thing when I read that. wut? lol
mavictb is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 AM
  #9  
Voids warranties
 
godesshunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern new england
Posts: 1,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willnordacgreen1211 View Post
we definatly have struts up front... just saying.
In that article I read this is the statement I'm referring to:

"Unfortunately, a double wishbone setup is not very good for drifting. A lot of drift cars that have the most angle run a MacPherson setup. There is one less wishbone for the suspension to hit when turning."
godesshunter is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
  #10  
I ♥ Drifting!!!
iTrader: (6)
 
imput1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,069
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really sure why your doing a SR, but whatever.

Originally Posted by godesshunter View Post
Ive done some reading up about drifting the rx8. I know very little about pro drifting but I hear it gets difficult with the rx8 not being struts in the front. Something about lack of adequate turning radius. Do you plan to do anything about it? Check out this article. Thats where I heard about it. And good luck with your bui]ld.
While thres is no way to get 60deg angle as easily as 240s up front since the 8 has a uca



How ever this doesn't mean it isn't possible to get good angle, you can make custom tubular arms to fix this. And honestly while it helps, you don't need 60 deg of angle.


This is plenty enough, JTPs old rx8 setup. Even without all this crazy suspension work, you can still get decent angle with just modified knuckles.


Last edited by imput1234; 01-08-2012 at 12:30 PM.
imput1234 is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 AM
  #11  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godesshunter View Post
Ive done some reading up about drifting the rx8. I know very little about pro drifting but I hear it gets difficult with the rx8 not being struts in the front. Something about lack of adequate turning radius. Do you plan to do anything about it? Check out this article. Thats where I heard about it. And good luck with your build.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...#ixzz1glBWHkle
I will be adding more lock to the car but until I get started on it I can't comment. I have no doubt whatever the challenge there will be a solution, just might cost a bit more

Originally Posted by bryan4140 View Post
subed
Cheers fella...

Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
interested to hear how well this setup performs - keep the info coming .
Will do fella...

Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
That's a nice beginning. Too bad she won't be powered by our beloved engine
I understand the cost part though, really.

Any idea on the cage design? Based on it the rear brackets behind the seats may or may not be thrown away.

Will you seam weld the chassis? A new heart and kidney from the black market are cheaper than that but still...
I would love to triple rotor her however we have no rotary tuners in Ireland so we have to go the UK so just to get the car there and mapped would be over a grand (1,000euro) on its own and building a triple rotor is very expensive here.

I will be leaving the design up to John Stone however I have a few inputs I will be aiming to put across in laymans english

I won't seam weld the car to start off with as I just want to fit a weld in cage and time is against me. Organs already up for grabs, don't drink or smoke should be worth a few bucks LoL

Originally Posted by Dan507 View Post
Looks interesting man. SR20 Altezza? was the white one with the Silly wide Work Meisters?
Silly wide, well they were 18 x 11JJ up front and 18 x 13.5JJ at the rear, is that silly ?

Here is the build thread for the Altezza :
http://www.driftireland.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10993

And here is the feature on speedhunters :
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...e-balance.aspx

Originally Posted by willnordacgreen1211 View Post
we definatly have struts up front... just saying.


Originally Posted by mavictb View Post
lol I was thinking the same thing when I read that. wut? lol
LoL

Originally Posted by godesshunter View Post
In that article I read this is the statement I'm referring to:

"Unfortunately, a double wishbone setup is not very good for drifting. A lot of drift cars that have the most angle run a MacPherson setup. There is one less wishbone for the suspension to hit when turning."
We'll sort it dude however I won't manage forklift angle

Originally Posted by imput1234 View Post
Not really sure why your doing a SR, but whatever.

While thres is no way to get 60deg angle as easily as 240s up front since the 8 has a uca



How ever this doesn't mean it isn't possible to get good angle, you can make custom tubular arms to fix this. And honestly while it helps, you don't need 60 deg of angle.

This is plenty enough, JTPs old rx8 setup. Even without all this crazy suspension work, you can still get decent angle with just modified knuckles.
Thanks for that mate, thats why I joined up the forum, god knows the how too section helped big time with the dash removal

Lokks like you can get lock from them alright

Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 AM
  #12  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darn, too bad you won't seam weld the chassis from the get go. Stripping a car down twice sucks but if time is a concern then you can't help but skip the process.
The lack of rotary tuners and good builders in europe is a shame. Even the costs border on robbery at times.

What engine did the car have? Some rb20 powered cars shared the az6 aisin gearbox that we have. You already have the transmission part dialed in but having a tranny with different gears lying around is always good.
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
  #13  
Dudemanbro
iTrader: (2)
 
Jake33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUBBED. good luck with build
Jake33 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 AM
  #14  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
Darn, too bad you won't seam weld the chassis from the get go. Stripping a car down twice sucks but if time is a concern then you can't help but skip the process.
The lack of rotary tuners and good builders in europe is a shame. Even the costs border on robbery at times.

What engine did the car have? Some rb20 powered cars shared the az6 aisin gearbox that we have. You already have the transmission part dialed in but having a tranny with different gears lying around is always good.
I may try sort it out while its getting the cage if it can be turned around quick enough then I'll get it done, hope to have her built by the end of Sept... Pip in WGT is very good, he built an n/a triple rotor RX8 years ago, it was awesome.

Which car ? The RX8 had the 231bhp model and the Altezza had the SR20DET engine from an S14, the rb25 box should work perfect for what I need however I would love to fit the box from a 350Z but the sheer size of it and fabrication costs don't make it an option for me.

Originally Posted by Jake33 View Post
SUBBED. good luck with build
Cheers Jake
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM
  #15  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kruizer View Post
Which car ? The RX8 had the 231bhp model and the Altezza had the SR20DET engine from an S14, the rb25 box should work perfect for what I need however I would love to fit the box from a 350Z but the sheer size of it and fabrication costs don't make it an option for me.
You also have Saenz up there that offers a sequential gearbox that works for both the sr20 and 13b-msp engines. Just making you hate your budget :p
Our 6sp transmission will work with the sr20 anyway, you may want to keep it as a spare...
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  #16  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
You also have Saenz up there that offers a sequential gearbox that works for both the sr20 and 13b-msp engines. Just making you hate your budget :p
Our 6sp transmission will work with the sr20 anyway, you may want to keep it as a spare...
Saenz ? I just don't want this dragging on years, I want to get some seat time this year
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM
  #17  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.saenztransmissioneurope.com/
Not the best transmissions of course, holinger and quaife would be better options but still... they're local to you
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
  #18  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
http://www.saenztransmissioneurope.com/
Not the best transmissions of course, holinger and quaife would be better options but still... they're local to you
Cheers for that fella

Not much of an update, been busy with moving and work. These are fiddley little ******* to strip, plenty of hidden clips and bolts. got the boot stripped out, my god the amount of **** coming outta this car, I can't wait to see what the final weight is...
Name:  0019.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  122.1 KB
Name:  0020.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  118.1 KB
Stripped off the rear doorcards also and the locking system on these should be a ***** with fibreglass doors... The more panels that come off the more wiring I find, stripping the loom is gonna be a pain in the sack !
Name:  0021.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  127.5 KB
Name:  0022.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  132.9 KB
Name:  0023.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  134.9 KB
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
  #19  
Dudemanbro
iTrader: (2)
 
Jake33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just out of curiosity, how many hours did it take stripping this thing from where it was when you got it, to where it was now?
Jake33 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM
  #20  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you know where the clips are located or don't care about them i'd say less than 3 hours.
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
  #21  
I am THAT guy
iTrader: (1)
 
Atilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Caca Cali
Posts: 5,994
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
If you know where the clips are located or don't care about them i'd say less than 3 hours.
^+1

subbed to this thread

i'm interested to know as to why you chose the RB transmission...i realize there are other options - just wanted to know any specifics. (ie. less fabrication work, easier fit, better gearing etc.)
Atilla is offline  
Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 AM
  #22  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake33 View Post
just out of curiosity, how many hours did it take stripping this thing from where it was when you got it, to where it was now?
About 4hrs all together, this forum is very useful for directions and how too's...

Originally Posted by bse50 View Post
If you know where the clips are located or don't care about them i'd say less than 3 hours.
I care a small bit

Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
^+1

subbed to this thread

i'm interested to know as to why you chose the RB transmission...i realize there are other options - just wanted to know any specifics. (ie. less fabrication work, easier fit, better gearing etc.)
Strength, rs20 gearboxes give up the fight at around 350bhp, I plan to run 400bhp+. A friend over here is running 425bhp on the same spec as myself.

I'm going to throw the Work Meisters on tomorrow for a look and see how they fit
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 AM
  #23  
Project Addict
Thread Starter
 
Kruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update, I got bored of stripping panels and the wiring loom is just gonna be a ***** so I moved onto removing the sound proofing. I started in the boot and on the right hand side chipping away, what I had noticed is that there had been a pretty big oil spill with the previous owner and what you could call the spare wheel well had been filled. What happened next was brilliant, the oil had soak into the sound proofing over time and the centre section just lifted off, no hammer or force needed, the glue came off also with the proofing so a quick wipe of a cloth brought it right up. Curious to see if this would work again I got some waste oil and used it on the glue on the sides of the boot and it lifted it. At the rear bench I spread some oil on a small corner and let it soak in overnight, hoping (desperately LoL) that it would work again. Unfortunately it needed more time and I don’t have patience so I hammered away and used some petrol to lift off the glue. Job done for the back half, gonna get stuck into the front half of the car later on. Here are some pic’s for now :

Notice how the centre section is practically mark free compared to the rest… Pity it is not an overnight process….

Name:  0024.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  46.9 KB
Name:  0025.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  0026.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  73.8 KB
Name:  0027.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  77.1 KB
Name:  0028.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  96.1 KB
Name:  0029.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  75.7 KB
Kruizer is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 AM
  #24  
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heatgun ftw!
bse50 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
  #25  
Day-it-T
iTrader: (1)
 
Daeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! haha how are you not scared of ripping your 8 apart!!!

scribed for build
Daeity is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SR20 Drift Build


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.