Congratulations, you got an 8. - Page 4 - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > General Topics > New Member Forum
Reload this Page >

Congratulations, you got an 8.

Notices
New Member Forum A place for new members to get their feet wet

Congratulations, you got an 8.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 PM
  #76  
Bikes are Rotaries
 
Stephen T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kerikeri, NZ
Posts: 303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ktec View Post
RIWWP needs a gold medal, cookie and a paypal donate button; his threads are perfect and so damn informative.

My pristine 05 RSX-S got totaled last week (t-boned by some *** in a rental, I was original owner...i cried) and I am literally torn apart between getting a basic econo cruiser (accord) for the time being or just getting a R3, which I want more than anything.
Agreed , they are really useful. As for the car quandary, as I have both, the decision is...do you want to get in your car knowing you've been sensible and practical oooorrrr do you want to get in your car with a massive smile on your face! Good luck deciding.
Stephen T is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  #77  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anglesey
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm all new to the Rx world . I picked my one up a week ago the garage that had it had put the plugs in the wrong way . Both trailing in one rotor and both leading in the other !!!!! It was very thirsty and spluttered . How bad is this ???

Last edited by RIWWP; 06-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Sy-rx8 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 AM
  #78  
Moderator Noir
iTrader: (4)
 
alnielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buddhist Monastery, High Himalaya Mtns. of Tibet
Posts: 12,257
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy-rx8 View Post
Hi I'm all new to the Rx world . I picked my one up a week ago the garage that had it had put the plugs in the wrong way . Both trailing in one rotor and both leading in the other !!!!! It was very thirsty and spluttered . How bad is this ???
It shouldn't be that much of a problem. However, thirsty and sputtering, I think you have other problems too. Maybe the coil(s) bad or the plug wires aren't seated onto the plugs fully.
alnielsen is offline  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  #79  
Moder8
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
04Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 2,541
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
@ SY, first get the plugs sorted. Then a full tank of premium.

Share year, miles and pictures...

Then, if an older one, start on that list. At least Step 2.
04Green is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
  #80  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anglesey
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Cool thank you :)

She runs spot on ,series 2 coil packs and new leads , iv had fun doing it my self ,
Sy-rx8 is offline  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  #81  
You gonna eat that?
iTrader: (1)
 
BigCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 4,385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 625 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
It shouldn't be that much of a problem. However, thirsty and sputtering, I think you have other problems too. Maybe the coil(s) bad or the plug wires aren't seated onto the plugs fully.
Hi, I just went back & read Sy-rx8's post.
His shop put both trailing plugs in one rotor, and both leading in the other.
I was under the impression this could ruin an 8's engine. Is there a certain way to cross them that is worse?
Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks.
BigCajun is offline  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM
  #82  
Verbose SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 16,683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 136 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by BigCajun View Post
Hi, I just went back & read Sy-rx8's post.
His shop put both trailing plugs in one rotor, and both leading in the other.
I was under the impression this could ruin an 8's engine. Is there a certain way to cross them that is worse?
Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Putting the wrong plugs in the wrong positions isn't harmful to the engine. Power loss, efficiency loss, sure, but not harmful.

Crossing wires so that the ECU thinks it's firing one plug when it's actually firing another plug is where the engine damage part of ignition mix-ups happen.
RIWWP is offline  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  #83  
You gonna eat that?
iTrader: (1)
 
BigCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 4,385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 625 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by RIWWP View Post
Putting the wrong plugs in the wrong positions isn't harmful to the engine. Power loss, efficiency loss, sure, but not harmful.

Crossing wires so that the ECU thinks it's firing one plug when it's actually firing another plug is where the engine damage part of ignition mix-ups happen.
Thanks! I assumed that because the plugs were made differently, that could do damage.
I appreciate the quick response.
BigCajun is offline  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 PM
  #84  
Verbose SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 16,683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 136 Times in 75 Posts
The combustions are still happening at the right time, just not really as efficiently fired as they are supposed to be.
RIWWP is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
  #85  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Knox, KY
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone I bought my 2004 RX8 last year as a gift for myself after I was done with basic training and AIT. I drove it from Los Angeles to Fort Knox KY 2 days after I bought it. I love the car and I have wanted one for years now but Ive never had the cash to get one so I rolled around In my 1986 ae86 Coupe and my 1986 Mustang GT T-Top. ( not a bad pair huh ). Once I got to fort Knox I didnt really have alot of down time or a place to work on my car like I did back home and with all the training to get ready for this deployment that I'm currently on right now. I hope to really build up my car when I get back but Im not to sure what and where I should start 1st. I'm thinking wheels, tires, brakes and suspension. Well I'm glad to be a part of the rx8 cultural now. LAter
curly_drift08 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM
  #86  
You gonna eat that?
iTrader: (1)
 
BigCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 4,385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 625 Times in 491 Posts
Welcome, thank you for your service.
Details!
I have a Lightning Yellow 04 GT stick.
I assume since you wanted one for years, you know all about the 8.
If you haven't done so already, reading the new owner stickie is very helpful.
Before working on wheels & all, I would be sure ignition & cat (if you still have one) are in good health.
I have a BHR midpipe cause my cat was bad due to misfires. I was considering BHR ignition, but I think I'll keep using the lifetime OEM ones I just put on so that I will do a complete maintenance checkup every 30k or so;
Coils, plugs, wires, MAF & ESS cleaning, air filter, cabin air filter, oil changes (vital every 2500-3k miles) & new battery have been done since I got mine in July.
I have the Torque app to monitor my coolant temps, check codes, and clear pesky CEL from cat delete, but I need to get a permanent coolant gauge, as the stock one is borderline useless.
Other things I need to do are tranny fluid and coolant flush. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.
Good luck!
BigCajun is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM
  #87  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Knox, KY
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigCajun View Post
Welcome, thank you for your service.
Details!
I have a Lightning Yellow 04 GT stick.
I assume since you wanted one for years, you know all about the 8.
If you haven't done so already, reading the new owner stickie is very helpful.
Before working on wheels & all, I would be sure ignition & cat (if you still have one) are in good health.
I have a BHR midpipe cause my cat was bad due to misfires. I was considering BHR ignition, but I think I'll keep using the lifetime OEM ones I just put on so that I will do a complete maintenance checkup every 30k or so;
Coils, plugs, wires, MAF & ESS cleaning, air filter, cabin air filter, oil changes (vital every 2500-3k miles) & new battery have been done since I got mine in July.
I have the Torque app to monitor my coolant temps, check codes, and clear pesky CEL from cat delete, but I need to get a permanent coolant gauge, as the stock one is borderline useless.
Other things I need to do are tranny fluid and coolant flush. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.
Good luck!

What would you want details about?
curly_drift08 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 PM
  #88  
You gonna eat that?
iTrader: (1)
 
BigCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 4,385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 625 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by curly_drift08 View Post
What would you want details about?
Guess I should have been more specific.
Color, miles, condition, mods. I'm just curious.
You can tell me to MYOB if you'd rather not.
BigCajun is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 PM
  #89  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Knox, KY
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigCajun View Post
Guess I should have been more specific.
Color, miles, condition, mods. I'm just curious.
You can tell me to MYOB if you'd rather not.
I got it for 12000, it had 55xxx miles on it, its Nordic green , its a Grand Touring and I love it hahah

Last edited by curly_drift08; 06-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.
curly_drift08 is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
  #90  
Moder8
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
04Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 2,541
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Great find on the Nordic Green, by far the fastest color....
04Green is offline  
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
  #91  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Knox, KY
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04Green View Post
Great find on the Nordic Green, by far the fastest color....
and the hardest color to take a pic of and people not thinking its black lol
curly_drift08 is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
  #92  
Moder8
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
04Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 2,541
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
True,

That is a feature. No officer, that was a black one, mine is green. They must have doctored the plate, and copied my stickers.. Damn them....
04Green is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
  #93  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Revere, Ma.
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be labeled "Crap, I bought an 8" or "What did I get myself into...?"
Coldwound is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 AM
  #94  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anglesey
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=04Green;4482679]@ SY, first get the plugs sorted. Then a full tank of premium.

Thanks for the advice
Sy-rx8 is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
  #95  
Moder8
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
04Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 2,541
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
@ Cold, Be nice, Any used car could have that title. These are little things that can help with the bonding process.

What I really wish I had was this list for a Speed 3 I now seem to have. Coils are $120 each, EGR is apparently an issue (so much crap it plugs the tube), 15,000 psi fuel pump and who knows what else. It is a beautiful little car. It is just a bit closer to the edge than an accord. About where my 8 was when I rescued her from a dodge dealer.

@ Sy, get it sorted?
04Green is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
  #96  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WI Just bought my RX8...and it died

All,

This is my first post here. First question: Are there a minimum amount of posts we need to have before starting a thread.

Second, my Rx8 broke down this weekend and I was quoted at 5500 for repairs. New Cat and a vacuum leak. I have no interest in repairing it unfortunately. Any thoughts on whether it would be better to send it to a salvage yard or find the right buyer who would be interested in fixing it?
glanglois is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
  #97  
Verbose SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 16,683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 136 Times in 75 Posts
1) You must have at least 30 days and at least 10 counted posts (under your username next to your posts) to create threads outside this new member subforum. You can reply to threads anywhere however.

2) A cat from the dealer is $1,300. Steep, but not $5,500. A used cat from another member here is more like $200-$300. A midpipe (if you have another way to deal with emissions, or if you don't have emissions at all) can be anywhere from $100 (annoying noises) to $500 (stellar).

3) Vacuum leak fixing it nearly free, if you have the time to trouble shoot and find it.


Still thinking of junking it? or perhaps maybe it's worth fixing to keep?


(side note: There is a reason we call them stealerships. They are almost universally the worst place to take your car for troubleshooting a problem, and the best place to go if you have lots of cash that you have no better use for and don't mind them taking)
RIWWP is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
  #98  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WI Re:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm a student and live downtown. Its parked in a parking garage and I don't have the tools/space to take it apart here. I love the car and regret that I don't have the time/money to spend on it right now which is why I was thinking about selling it for what I can.
glanglois is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM
  #99  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: garland,tx
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much, ive owned my rx8 for abt 3-4 months now and im loving it, i will start doing all this things, but once again thank you!
rickymaz8 is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  #100  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my 8 for a week now. It is much more needy than my FC, lol. This thread has done awesome tips. Thanks.

Posted From RX8Club.com Android App
LowKeyRX7&8 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Congratulations, you got an 8.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.