Notices
RX-8 Discussion General discussion about the RX-8 that doesn't fit in one of the specialty forums.

Rx-8 Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rx-8 Extended Warranty Question

Hello all!

Hey I was thinking of extending my warranty on my 2005 RX-8 and i was wondering....
Do you all recommend a factory warranty? And if you do what is a good price that you all have paid?

Or, are the aftermarket warranties the way to go?
Then what price did you pay for those?

Any info. would help me as I would love to have a warranty for many more years.
(i don't know how to fix these things)

thanks so much!

NGT-MRE
Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by NGTMRE
Hello all!

Hey I was thinking of extending my warranty on my 2005 RX-8 and i was wondering....
Do you all recommend a factory warranty? And if you do what is a good price that you all have paid?

Or, are the aftermarket warranties the way to go?
Then what price did you pay for those?

Any info. would help me as I would love to have a warranty for many more years.
(i don't know how to fix these things)

thanks so much!

NGT-MRE
Go with a factory warranty IMHO. Personally I got a 60000 miles / 7 years Mazda warranty for $1700 - a lot of dollars but I should get 7 years of coverage - when a lot of things are subject to failure / end of life.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Black and B-E-A-UTIFUL!

I will also be looking into this. Does it make a difference how many miles are on your car when you purchase? Also, is this something that you just ask the local dealership for?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Done at dealer - I think the basic rules are less than 20,000 miles and less than 4 years old - but not sure. Got mine at 18000 miles and two years since purchase. Simple phone call to dealer should get you the info.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
'04 MT RX8/71 351C Mach1

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've done a search, you know there are a lot of threads re: extended warranties. This one describes my experience last year. (https://www.rx8club.com/purchasing-financing-insurance-56/extended-warranty-again-57791/) The argument that persuaded me to go with this one is that it is an "exclusionary" waranty. In other words, it covers EVERYTHING EXECPT those items listed. Non-exclusionary warranties list the items covered. The lists look quite comprehensive, but I didn't think I could POSSIBLY know EVERY part of a car that should be named in a warranty.

Since I am still a long way from needing to use this warranty, I can't say if it was a good deal, but I still have my fingers crossed.

Zoom, Zoom
Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Extraordinary Engineering

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
In general extended warranties are not worth the money.
Reason 1. The warranty company is making money on these things so the average motorist is better off without the thing.
Reason 2. The extended warranty only covers you after the factory warranty is over so when you look at it as cost per month of actual coverage it looks a lot more expensive.
Reason 3. Anything major within about a year after the warranty is usually picked up by the manufacturer as a goodwill gesture.
Reason 4. Deductible. You will pay for most repairs because of the deductible.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was advised against paying for one myself but if the dealer adds it in as an incentive to purchasing the car I would take it.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkBrew
I
Reason 3. Anything major within about a year after the warranty is usually picked up by the manufacturer as a goodwill gesture.

i am not saying get one, but this point is silly....

do you feel LUCKY?????? comes to mind.

beers

btw, i just hit 42k miles and am struggling with this ?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

This extended warranty thing presents some interesting conundrums. I can't speak to places other than the greater Denver area market, but here's my experience so far:

I purchased my car used, with @ 5,000 miles on it in July or 2004. The car came with the balance of the factory warranty (4 yrs from it's "in service" date, which in my case I think was @ February '04, or 50,000 miles which ever comes first.)

In checking with, so far, three different dealers, I've basically been given three different stories:

1. McDonald Mazda, would like to sell me their particular favorite carrier's extended warranty insurance provide by/through "CNA National Warrranty Corporation." Unfortunately under "exclusions" the CNA policy potentially excludes coverage of "YOUR Vehicle if it has been modified with any alterations tot he powertrain, the suspension (including tire or wheels sizes or offsets) or the exhaust system not approved by the manufacturer of YOUR VEHICLE." Not sure where that would put, just as an example (a) after market wheels, (b) light weight flywheel not supplied by MazdaSpeed, (c) big brake kit(s) or (d) Tien coil over suspension parts vis-a-vis the entire vehilce. Various version of this, would apply to repairs at "licensed repair facility" (I'm told this would NOT have to be a Dealership ~ available to "new" and "near new" and used vehicles with less than 80,000 miles. Includes rental car coverage up to $245; unreimbursed towing charges; overnight travel lodging upto $225. There are several deductible schemes available, but the quote I got for the Rx8 to extend coverage for an additional 3 years/100,000 miles ranged from $1598 to $1748, depending on the deductible plan picked.

2. From the dealership I purchased the car used, Gaeway. They offered a "Mazda" policy. Two versions quoted, (a) something the brochure calls "PowerCare" &/or "PrimayCare" coverage plans ~ these were going to run something @ $1,766 to add 36 months / 36,000 to the mfg basic warranty periods with a $100 deductible. Gateway also offered a "TotalCare" which would cover everything under "statedcare" coverage AND more, for (and bless her little heart, the finance person actually blinked when she said it) only $4,094 to add 48 months and 48,000 additional miles to the mfg base warranty. She admited she didn't expect to sell many of these. Interesting enough, I asked what the same package for , say a Mazda6 or even MazdaSpeed6 would cost. The Speed6 wasn't specifically in her quote sheets/book yet, but a V6 Mazda6 extended totalcare warranty she said would be roughly half, yes only $2,000 +/- what they wanted for the same coverage for the Rx8. Hummmm what does Mazda know, if anything, we don't? What are they not telling us if in fact that kind of difference is true?

3. Finally the Burt dealership finace people offered at least two (2) possible extended warranty options. One, their "preferred" choice, is that you take them up on their own apparently inhouse brand through the Burt Automotive Network ~ 100,000/6 year from date of first service (other time spans are apparently available too) for $1,605. This would be a "standard care" type policy covering engine, transmission, axle etc., powertrain components, steering, brakes, not including pads/rotors fluids, A/C and basic electrical, alternator, wipers, power seats heater etc. Doesn't cover regular service maintenace items like wiper blades, coolant, batttery, pads, filters or "squeaks or rattles."

Alternatively, Burt could also offer a line of Ford Extended Service Plans, e.g. Ford ESP "Premium Care" ~ 6yrs from in service date or 100,000 miles for @ $2,650 to $2,365

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about anyone elses thoughts or experiences with, or insights on the do's or don'ts of extended warranties. I had one that came with a purchase deail on a used Audi @ 14 years ago. The Extended Warranty had been purchased by the prior owner of the car, and came with the vehicle when I bought it. The warranty itself was from some 3rd party insurer, not Audi. Fortunately for me, the policy had been sold to the PO by the dealership I purchased the car from, and as a part of the used car deal they, the dealership made representations to me that they would "stand behind the policy...." etc. since they had sold it and believed the 3rd party insurer to be a "quality product." Well, as it turned out, the insurer (someplace out of Texas IIRC) wasn't such a quality product, but the dealership was more or less "quality" and took care of the problems with the car and the warranty coverage. The story would have turned out differently if I hadn't been able to take the car back to the dealer for the warranty claims however.

Anyway PM if anyone has any better insights into the apparently less than clear, say obtuse world of extended warranties, aftermarket or otherwise.

Cheers
mike
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered

PS the "....#3 Anything MAJOR within a year of the mfg warranty is ussually picked up by the mfg as a goodwill measure...." is, IMO, pretty funny. Right in line with, "The check is in the mail" and "Hi! I'm from the goverment, & I'm here to help you..."