Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Rx8 LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 AM
FWD Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my 1st car with a Torsen diff....I love it. Very nice without the shuddering on real tight low speed turns. But, usually for drifting a strong clutch-type diff is preffered.....
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

I have no been able to get a clear understanding of the type of diff my RX8 has. I have a 2004 6 speed manual. I think it might be a GT but I'm not sure since the RX8 thing is new to me.

I am going to replace the diff fluid and trans fluid. Is this a all gear differential or a does it have have slipping cones or hydraulically actuated something. I am familiar with the gear type that requires no LS additive and the belville washer spring clutch systems that require and LS additive. I also have a 2005 GTO that has a ford cone clutch system that requires a special ford LS additive.

Does this diff have slipping cones that require a LS additive or is there no slipping action?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Yank My Wankel

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you read this thread before posting?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carbon8
Did you read this thread before posting?
Yes, but it did not answer my specific questions.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Yank My Wankel

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re-read it!

All your answer are on the first page, their are countless threads on it as well as a DIY for fluid change if you would also search which will tell you that any GL-5 is required for diff, most prefer redline 75W90

Originally Posted by eccles
Originally Posted by P00Man
i think the RX-8's LSD is a Tochigi - Fuji unit
________
WELLBUTRIN SETTLEMENT INFO
Originally Posted by eccles
Yes, it comes from a different manufacturer, but it's still a TORque SENsing unit, functionally similar to the TORSEN. Torsen tries to prevent its trade name being used as the generic descriptor for this type of diff, to prevent it falling into general usage and thus being useless as a trademark, such as Aspirin and Escalator have become.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

I'm sorry, but my point is that these do not answer the question. As I understand it, first, it is not really a Torsen unit which is a purely gear driven mechanical LS Diff. I have an actual Torsen unit in my C4 corvette so I know how they work. This is a upgrade from the standard clutch pack with the Bellville washers. My actual Torsen unit does not require LS additive because there are no clutches.

Second the fact that it is a tochigi Fuji unit does not define if it is a purely gear type unit or has a clutch type engagement because I am not familiar with this unit or company, hence the nature of my original question.

Third, there are Torque sensing units that are gear based and others that have clutches that engage based upon hydraulic pressure. The latter of these sometimes requires an additive similar to my LS2 GTO which has a cone system made by ford of Australia. It requires a ford type additive. The LS additive typical of RP, Mobil, and others do not meet the F requirement.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I have read in several places on the forum that it is a gear unit and does not require LS additive and other places just say that it requires additive just because it is an LS (but we know there are LS's out there of gear type that do not require additive).

So my question remains; Is the tochigi Fuji unit purely gear driven and so it does not need an additive or does it have clutches of some type that engage and then if so, what is the specific additive requirement?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Modulated Moderator

Received 334 Likes on 289 Posts
Gear type....just use good Synthetic gear lube that meets the specs and go from there
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dannobre
Gear type....just use good Synthetic gear lube that meets the specs and go from there
Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to use one without additive and so that will work.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 AM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,638 Posts
It's actually not a Torsen nor anything like one. We all assumed that long ago. So the entire thread is fubar. It's a cone-clutch type LSD.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamRX8
It's actually not a Torsen nor anything like one. We all assumed that long ago. So the entire thread is fubar. It's a cone-clutch type LSD.
So does it require LS additive of a specific type or does this cone clutch system not require LS additive? Sorry for the questions, but I have been reading for hours and can't seem to get a definitive answer.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,638 Posts
Standard gear oils have some included already. Only a gear oil like Redline 'NS' variations don't have it. You will be fine with regular gear oil as dannobre mentioned.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamRX8
Standard gear oils have some included already. Only a gear oil like Redline 'NS' variations don't have it. You will be fine with regular gear oil as dannobre mentioned.
So just to be clear is LS additive required for the cone clutch or is non required?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Anyone know if the stock diff is 1-way, 1.5-way or 2-way? I'm trying to get a better understanding of off vs on throttle traction.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by blu3dragon
Anyone know if the stock diff is 1-way, 1.5-way or 2-way? I'm trying to get a better understanding of off vs on throttle traction.
Effectively it is a 1-way diff. It only is active when power is applied and a difference in wheel speed. Otherwise it is open diff
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will an open diff from an auto fit in a manual pumpking? Are both the M/T LSD and A/T open diff the same sizes? Will cv axles fit ? Are all years interchangeable? It appears so.. Best thing for a constant 100% lock on both wheels drift or drag or whatever reason would be to get an open diff from an auto and weld it and put it in your manual rear end and just swap it out with the LSD unit.. Or spend like a grand and buy a spool from Australia for the ultimate weight reduction in rotating mass...

Last edited by VICEdOUT; 01-12-2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Pics

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rx8 LSD