RX8Club.com
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read RX8 Live!VendorsUsed Cars TSB & Recalls

Go Back   RX8Club.com > General Topics > RX-8 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to RX8Club.com!
Welcome to RX8Club.com,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join RX8Club.com today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Whats the major differences?

I heard they beefed up the suspension a bit and lost 92 pounds
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on RX8Club.com!
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,107
do a search bro.... ash8 covered this, its even a sticky

Series II Mazda OE Parts Number Listings- Complete
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
]
[QUOTE=www.everythingmobile.ca Check out the new Mobile Foruml[/QUOTE]
Speed_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
meh.
 
deadphoenix52's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: fwb, fl
Posts: 1,656
series. not gen. series 1 and 2
__________________
Photobucket
2005 RX-8 // 1981 RX-7 GSL
deadphoenix52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Official Post Whore
 
pdxhak's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 10,120
Speed 8 is lying to you. There is no difference. If you do not believe me then search and you will see.
__________________
pdxhak's vGarage
pdxhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
so all that **** and its no quicker?
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
V2.01 coming soon...
 
RX8Soldier's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (18)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 4,455
troll?
__________________
GBNF --'86 RX7 GX RIP | '88 10th AE T-II RIP | '05 RX8 Ti Grey SOLD--
'07 RX8 GT Phantom Blue Mica
Mazdaspeed || BHR || Enkei/ Falken || AFE/VooDoo || Cobb || Racing Beat || Buddy Club
En Route/ Awaiting Install
Borla || Lo-Tek/Prosport || PowerTrix || Tein || Walbro || Ingalls || SOHN || Race Roots || Pioneer/Metra
RX8Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX8Soldier View Post
troll?
I think just arrogant and rude. Read his other recent thread lol
__________________


Enlightenment is manís leaving his self-caused immaturity. Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. Such immaturity is self-caused if it is not caused by lack of intelligence, but by lack of determination and courage to use one's intelligence without being guided by another. Sapere Aude! - Immanuel Kant
bse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
V2.01 coming soon...
 
RX8Soldier's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (18)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 4,455
^ just finished reading it lol
__________________
GBNF --'86 RX7 GX RIP | '88 10th AE T-II RIP | '05 RX8 Ti Grey SOLD--
'07 RX8 GT Phantom Blue Mica
Mazdaspeed || BHR || Enkei/ Falken || AFE/VooDoo || Cobb || Racing Beat || Buddy Club
En Route/ Awaiting Install
Borla || Lo-Tek/Prosport || PowerTrix || Tein || Walbro || Ingalls || SOHN || Race Roots || Pioneer/Metra
RX8Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 2,683
Send a message via AIM to New Yorker
There are no "major" differences. Check out what the press had to say:


http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
"Meanwhile, the RX-8 gets a little stir to keep it green. Most obvious is the new front bumper that flares the grille and brake-duct openings for a more dangerous, grinning-cobra menace. Four glassy robot eyes now fill the taillight teardrops, the exhaust tips are bigger, and fresh wheel designs adorn the various trim levels. Underneath, Mazda adds chassis stiffeners to further tighten an already athletic platform, and tweaked rear-suspension geometry settles the back end and helps sharpen steering response. The prop shaft also has been strengthened to reduce driveline vibration and noise."


http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-8-r3-page-3-1
"Nimble, however, takes you only so far, and the RX-8 enters its seventh year largely unchanged. Tweaks? Sure. Notably the R3 model ($5495 more than a basic RX-8), which includes a killer 300-watt Bose audio system, Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, Recaro seats, traction and stability control, a rear wing, rocker-panel extensions, fog lights, xenon headlights, a stiffened front suspension crossmember, higher spring rates, firmer damping via Bilstein shocks, and 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels wearing Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40-19 tires."

"The R3 enhancements, however, have provisos. Ride quality, already firm in other RX-8 versions, is firmer still, and thereís porpoising and expansion-joint whacking on patchy stretches of freeway. Plus, a lot of noise comes up through the suspension. Some of us like the turbinesque sounds of the rotary as it spools up and down, but the car canít be called quiet. Another gripe: The bolstering of the Recaros is welcome on the track but becomes just short of oppressive, for some, on long freeway runs, putting relentless pressure on the hip bones."


http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature..._RX-8_R3.shtml
"Having debuted in 2003, the RX-8 isn't ancient, but it's middle-aged in car years. Thankfully, it still looks like it's from the future with space-age curves and mini-doors that flip out backwards for rear passengers. A facelift also came for the 2009 model year, so this is a well-disguised old broad. The old grilles ó a large center opening and two smaller flanks to the sides ó have been photocopied at 120 percent and new headlights have a more intimidating glare. Around the corner, the car's tall, thin fender vents have been smashed into a small triangle that houses a relocated side turn indicator. The R3 model, a post-redesign addition, wears the new smile best. HID headlights and a front splitter distinguish its front end from lesser RX-8s, while side skirts and a deck wing carry the additions aft. Unique 19-inch wheels are some of the most attractive Mazda has ever made and draw their spoke designs from the car's rotary engine."


http://cars.about.com/od/mazda/fr/09_rx8r3.htm
"Hard to believe, but Mazda's RX-8 sports car made its debut in 2003 as a 2004 model, and Mazda has just now gotten around to giving it a mid-cycle refresh. Improvements include updated styling, an improved interior, modified suspension, new performance model... you know, all the usual stuff. "


http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...-mazda-rx-8-r3
"The Mazda RX-8 has been laboring in a tough marketplace. The sporty-car market, as a whole, is off its usual pace, and Mazda's 4-door sports car has been scraping to get its small share of the pie against such cars as the Ford Mustang, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza WRX STI. Further complicating matters for Hiroshima's finest is the Renesis rotary engine, whose output is significantly less than its counterparts (at 232 bhp for the manual and 212 for the 6-speed automatic) while getting only so-so fuel economy (16/22 mpg). So what's Mazda to do?
Simple: improve the car's appearance and handling.
For 2009, Mazda restyled the RX-8's front end, giving it a more elegant look. The vents in the front bumper mimic those of the Porsche 911 Turbo, while the head- and taillights have been slightly modified. Also, there's a new model in the lineup, called the R3, which gets, among other things, 19-in. forged alloy wheels, Bilstein shock absorbers, urethane foam-injected front suspension crossmembers and a sporty rear wing."


Motorweek 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3 Road Test:
__________________
"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information."
ó Michael Scott
New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
#50
 
bse50's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Caput Mundi
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX8Soldier View Post
^ just finished reading it lol
Time for a....


Boobs thread!
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________


Enlightenment is manís leaving his self-caused immaturity. Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. Such immaturity is self-caused if it is not caused by lack of intelligence, but by lack of determination and courage to use one's intelligence without being guided by another. Sapere Aude! - Immanuel Kant
bse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
BECAUSE RACECAR
 
Arca_ex's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (9)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 972
Yeah he's just being a ****. Check out his other threads...
__________________
2005 RX-8 M/T Touring WWP (13b-REW Swap Underway)
My vbGarage
My Build Thread

Arca_ex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Voids warranties
 
godesshunter's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern new england
Posts: 1,626
godesshunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2kill View Post
so all that **** and its no quicker?
You could make the same statement about the FD evolving to the RX8. Whats your point?
__________________
2010 R3 Velocity Red

New here? Read this:New and Potential Owners START HERE!
godesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
I love forums where you cant ask simple questions bc the 120 pound guys behing the keyboard will say dumb stuff back. Its hard to answer simple questions. The point of these forums is to discuss the topic of the forum, in this case the RX. I have been out of the game for a while and after a few google searches I wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
There are no "major" differences. Check out what the press had to say:


http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
"Meanwhile, the RX-8 gets a little stir to keep it green. Most obvious is the new front bumper that flares the grille and brake-duct openings for a more dangerous, grinning-cobra menace. Four glassy robot eyes now fill the taillight teardrops, the exhaust tips are bigger, and fresh wheel designs adorn the various trim levels. Underneath, Mazda adds chassis stiffeners to further tighten an already athletic platform, and tweaked rear-suspension geometry settles the back end and helps sharpen steering response. The prop shaft also has been strengthened to reduce driveline vibration and noise."


http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-8-r3-page-3-1
"Nimble, however, takes you only so far, and the RX-8 enters its seventh year largely unchanged. Tweaks? Sure. Notably the R3 model ($5495 more than a basic RX-8), which includes a killer 300-watt Bose audio system, Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, Recaro seats, traction and stability control, a rear wing, rocker-panel extensions, fog lights, xenon headlights, a stiffened front suspension crossmember, higher spring rates, firmer damping via Bilstein shocks, and 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels wearing Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40-19 tires."

"The R3 enhancements, however, have provisos. Ride quality, already firm in other RX-8 versions, is firmer still, and thereís porpoising and expansion-joint whacking on patchy stretches of freeway. Plus, a lot of noise comes up through the suspension. Some of us like the turbinesque sounds of the rotary as it spools up and down, but the car canít be called quiet. Another gripe: The bolstering of the Recaros is welcome on the track but becomes just short of oppressive, for some, on long freeway runs, putting relentless pressure on the hip bones."


http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature..._RX-8_R3.shtml
"Having debuted in 2003, the RX-8 isn't ancient, but it's middle-aged in car years. Thankfully, it still looks like it's from the future with space-age curves and mini-doors that flip out backwards for rear passengers. A facelift also came for the 2009 model year, so this is a well-disguised old broad. The old grilles ó a large center opening and two smaller flanks to the sides ó have been photocopied at 120 percent and new headlights have a more intimidating glare. Around the corner, the car's tall, thin fender vents have been smashed into a small triangle that houses a relocated side turn indicator. The R3 model, a post-redesign addition, wears the new smile best. HID headlights and a front splitter distinguish its front end from lesser RX-8s, while side skirts and a deck wing carry the additions aft. Unique 19-inch wheels are some of the most attractive Mazda has ever made and draw their spoke designs from the car's rotary engine."


http://cars.about.com/od/mazda/fr/09_rx8r3.htm
"Hard to believe, but Mazda's RX-8 sports car made its debut in 2003 as a 2004 model, and Mazda has just now gotten around to giving it a mid-cycle refresh. Improvements include updated styling, an improved interior, modified suspension, new performance model... you know, all the usual stuff. "


http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...-mazda-rx-8-r3
"The Mazda RX-8 has been laboring in a tough marketplace. The sporty-car market, as a whole, is off its usual pace, and Mazda's 4-door sports car has been scraping to get its small share of the pie against such cars as the Ford Mustang, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza WRX STI. Further complicating matters for Hiroshima's finest is the Renesis rotary engine, whose output is significantly less than its counterparts (at 232 bhp for the manual and 212 for the 6-speed automatic) while getting only so-so fuel economy (16/22 mpg). So what's Mazda to do?
Simple: improve the car's appearance and handling. For 2009, Mazda restyled the RX-8's front end, giving it a more elegant look. The vents in the front bumper mimic those of the Porsche 911 Turbo, while the head- and taillights have been slightly modified. Also, there's a new model in the lineup, called the R3, which gets, among other things, 19-in. forged alloy wheels, Bilstein shock absorbers, urethane foam-injected front suspension crossmembers and a sporty rear wing."


Motorweek 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3 Road Test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdwCb5d7ok8

Thanks Bro. Im looking at an 05 right now, the one in my avatar was an 04 I only did a couple thing in my garage to it like takeda intake, hks exhaust, plugs and wires and suspension. Im wondering how much better the newer rear suspension is but im sure if I ask I will have negative feedback, I dont know what happened, but when I was here last everyone was really helpful.
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
V2.01 coming soon...
 
RX8Soldier's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (18)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 4,455
members continue to be helpful to those who are in need of help. You are just lazy.
__________________
GBNF --'86 RX7 GX RIP | '88 10th AE T-II RIP | '05 RX8 Ti Grey SOLD--
'07 RX8 GT Phantom Blue Mica
Mazdaspeed || BHR || Enkei/ Falken || AFE/VooDoo || Cobb || Racing Beat || Buddy Club
En Route/ Awaiting Install
Borla || Lo-Tek/Prosport || PowerTrix || Tein || Walbro || Ingalls || SOHN || Race Roots || Pioneer/Metra
RX8Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
I HATE SPEEDBUMPS!
 
monchie's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 8,809
Boobs!

Anyway, what is this thread about? lol
__________________


U.S. Army Tanker 1994-1997
2004 Mazda 6i (Hellasunk)
2005 Mazda RX8 (Hellasunk)
monchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,107
instead of starting a useless thread... I am taking over this one lol..... e has bought the who here has bought a gforce chip for their Rx8... man up Im curious on your results or lack of
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
]
[QUOTE=www.everythingmobile.ca Check out the new Mobile Foruml[/QUOTE]
Speed_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
Old fart
 
ken-x8's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2kill View Post
I love forums where you cant ask simple questions bc the 120 pound guys behing the keyboard will say dumb stuff back. Its hard to answer simple questions. The point of these forums is to discuss the topic of the forum, in this case the RX. I have been out of the game for a while and after a few google searches I wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.
This place does have it's moments. I could not find the posts that a couple of guys suggested had branded you as unworthy. Maybe "****" instead of "stuff" in one of your replies set off some of the more genteel folks?

Anyway, besides the stuff in New Yorker's post, a major change from Series I to Series II is that the Series II engine has a third oil injector, lubing the center of the apex seals. A lot of people think that cures the random engine failures that occur on Series I. Another detail is that an oil change on a Series II is a lot harder.

Personally, I like the styling of the Series I much more than Series II. Amazing how a small facelift can mess things up.

Ken
__________________
2006 MT, Galaxy Gray
Sport Package
LightInSight
Fuel cap hook
EZ-Pass sock
ken-x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken-x8 View Post
This place does have it's moments. I could not find the posts that a couple of guys suggested had branded you as unworthy. Maybe "****" instead of "stuff" in one of your replies set off some of the more genteel folks?

Anyway, besides the stuff in New Yorker's post, a major change from Series I to Series II is that the Series II engine has a third oil injector, lubing the center of the apex seals. A lot of people think that cures the random engine failures that occur on Series I. Another detail is that an oil change on a Series II is a lot harder.

Personally, I like the styling of the Series I much more than Series II. Amazing how a small facelift can mess things up.

Ken

Yeah I had read that about the series II, another thing is some ppl say it doesnt have an issue with flooding, but I honestly never had that issue with my 04. I keep looking at this 09 right now, I used to hate how they looked when they first came out, but im falling in love with it now. Thanks for your input
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Registered
 
xexok's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,069
mordisk
From what I can gather, no rx8 should have any issue with flooding with a strong battery and the upgraded starter(if it was pre 06 I think?) There are a few people with s2's here who have actually made an effort to try and flood their cars and were unable to.
__________________
'09 Rx8 sport
xexok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #21
wanting another rotary
 
rx2kill's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by xexok View Post
From what I can gather, no rx8 should have any issue with flooding with a strong battery and the upgraded starter(if it was pre 06 I think?) There are a few people with s2's here who have actually made an effort to try and flood their cars and were unable to.

yeah I had a new battery but pretty positive it was the starter from factory on it still. A lot of people seem to make a huge deal about it so I assumed I was just lucky
__________________
HKS Exhaust Takeda Intake Tein S. tech Springs, and a 'Toe 2 Toe' decal for +5hp
rx2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #22
Bite Me.
 
StealthTL's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: WAAaaay North....
Posts: 6,776
Hugh Jampton
I had a new battery but pretty positive

Click the image to open in full size.

Huh, huh....I see what you did there!
StealthTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
RX8Club
Mazda RX8




Paid Advertisement


 
 
 
Reply

Tags
differences, gen, gen1, gen2, ii, interior, lamp, maza, mazda, mazdaspeed, modified, parts, r3, rx8, tail

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nissan GT-R or Next Gen RX? Are-Ex-Eight RX-8 Discussion 51 04-28-2010 08:24 AM
Gen II Engine on Gen I chassis tonedef Series I Tech Garage 10 02-11-2010 11:09 PM
RX-8 vs RX-7 last gen! Venturer General Automotive 20 12-31-2003 04:36 PM
second gen. RX-8 TerenceSPark Lounge 6 09-05-2003 11:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
All content Copyright © 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.
Emails Backup