Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

DSC switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Grey Boy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question DSC switch

Hi,
Not sure if this thread should be in problems and issues but I'm figuring on getting a better response here.

I have been looking to move the DSC switch because it is just not in a usable position when actively having fun. I has taken me a while but I have found a shift **** with a momentary contact switch in it and have had it drilled and tapped to fit my 8. However, the OME DSC switch plugs into the harness at a female receptacle with 4 wires. I want to leave the harness and plug intact so that I can revert it to OME if I ever have a reason to. That means I have to find out what the female plug is called and how to get a male connector for it.
Any one got any Idea's?
Regards,
Grey
Old 07-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When are you planning on turning the DSC on and off? If you start to loose it in a corner, it's too late if it's off.

Turn it off when you're on the track and are willing to test the limits. Leave it on when you're on the street.

Oh, and don't forget to post in the "turned off the DSC and totaled my car threads" in a few months
Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Unregistered User

Ever been in this situation?
Need to take a left out into traffic, slip the clutch with some rpms a little because you're gonna need to merge quick..... dsc senses some wheelspin and KILLS ignition... now you're bogged out in the middle of rush our in the oncoming lane? I just press the button once... it doesn't really **** with you then and if you really lose it it'll still give you a hand.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Registered

Nope, never happened to me because the RX8 doesn't do this. The RX8's DSC does an AWESOME job of limiting wheelspin without killing the power totally.

My wife's BMW does what you describe, but I've never had the RX8 do this, and I've had it in the rain and on a track plenty of times.

I'm still trying to figure out why no wheelspin is bad in your situation. It's actually giving you the max acceleration possible in those conditions. You can't accelerate faster than the DSC will allow you since faster means wheelspin. If you're developing power by using the clutch as a torque converter, you probably should have bought an automatic.

Also, once you tap the DSC off, it doesn't come back. I don't know what you think tapping it once does, but it's OFF at that point. You can spin it like a top. Give it a try, but call your insurance agent first.

Last edited by dsmdriver; 08-06-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Grey Boy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Xantium
Ever been in this situation?
Need to take a left out into traffic, slip the clutch with some rpms a little because you're gonna need to merge quick..... dsc senses some wheelspin and KILLS ignition... now you're bogged out in the middle of rush our in the oncoming lane? I just press the button once... it doesn't really **** with you then and if you really lose it it'll still give you a hand.
hey Xantium.
Thanks for your reply. Personally I try not to "slip the clutch" and prefer razing the RPM's and dropping the clutch in a situation like that. As long as I don’t over rev the wheels don’t slip all that much and the dsc isn’t a problem. Try it and see which way you like better.
I do remember the first time I tried to drive in the snow though. I could even get out of the drive way and the harder I tried the quicker it bogged out and stalled,, I was furious. After about twenty min or so I remembered the dsc button and after hitting it the car pulled right out, man was I embarrassed! As far as your dsc killing your ignition,, you might wanna have that looked into. I do not believe it is supposed to do that.
Some people never touch their dsc. If you think dsmdrivers first reply in this thread is bad you should have read the some of the others I have seen with the mere mention of turning it off. The bottom line is that the switch is there for a reason but using it should be approached with respect for what it will do to the car’s performance and, of course, common sense. There have been reports that driving with it off has a small but positive affect on gas mileage. The fact that I just put in a lighter flywheel makes it hard to determine which contributes more but I’m running with it off most of the time and together with the new flywheel I’m getting 25 or so more miles to the tank.
The main reason I wanted to move the switch to a more usable position is because we have a lil ¼ mile run out side of work that leads to a parkway entrance with a “S” curve. When we start our drag on the ¼ mile run I like to have the dsc off however, I use the parkway to get home. Trying to turn the dsc back on half way down the ¼ mile run was not an easy thing to do because of it’s stock position as well as not a bright thing to attempt because I would have to free up a hand in order to do so. On the other hand ,,, because this is a rotary there is lil back pressure and down shifting does more to raze the rpms then to slow the car so it is a really good idea to have the dsc active when hitting that “S” curve at anything over 40. Moving the switch to the shifter is the perfect solution, allowing me to re-engage the dsc right after the hole shot.
Safe trails dude.
Gray.

Last edited by titaneum_grey; 08-06-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

The DSC off -> better MPG thing has been totally disproven.