Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Calling all DIY writers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all DIY writers

Moderators, I don't know if you'd be willing to make this a sticky but it might be useful for all potential DIY creators.

Daver is in the process of writing a greddy turbo DIY and asked if I could host it on my own DIY website. He likes the clean style I used when writing my own DIYs and thought it makes sense to have all DIYs--regardless of who wrote them--hosted in a central location.

I'm willing (and flattered) to host any DIYs people care to send me. While people are free to send me DIYs in any format they wish, I thought I'd put together a style guide that might be helpful. If this is something you'd be interested in then send me a PM.

DIY STYLE GUIDE
The following style guide is the recommended format for DIYs. The goals are twofold--present the DIY in a clear, easy to follow format and keep bandwidth to a minimum. There are no perl scripts, flash or databases used on this site. You are free to use your own format if you wish but a consistent look and feel across all DIYs would be beneficial. Content may be edited for clarity.

Main Page
Example: http://www.hi-impact.org/ryang/modify/modify.html
  • The main page lists all DIYs in alphabetical format. If this grows unwieldy then we may chunk them out in categories, much like the RX-8's technical manual does.
  • DIY titles should be self-explanatory and hyperlink to the actual DIY.
  • A brief descriptive text in italics gives further information regarding the nature of the DIY.

DIY Page
Example: http://www.hi-impact.org/ryang/modif...rbo_timer.html
  • Each DIY is prefaced by a standard disclaimer. Author credits will be listed and can include name, alias, email or external web link.
  • Each page uses a simple two column table format.
  • The first column contains pictures that are 525 x 375 pixels in size.
  • Pictures are named based on the DIY page. This makes it easy to identify which picture belongs to which DIY and what order they should appear. Example: rx8_turbo_timer_1.jpg, rx8_turbo_timer_2.jpg, etc.
  • Pictures should clearly show everything described in the steps associated with it. If you can't tell what part a step is describing in the picture then other people will definitely have a problem.
  • Pictures should also clearly show where the parts are on the car itself. When doing a number of steps in a single part of the car it's helpful to make the first picture an establishing shot showing the parts in relation to the car itself. Brake-related DIYs are a good example of this. If you only have closeup shots you can't tell if it's the front or rear, left or right. (Example: Step 1 of http://www.hi-impact.org/ryang/modif...x8_brakes.html mentions all pictures are of the left front brake.)
  • The second column contains the text.
  • Introductory comments are optional and denoted by use of italics.
  • Each step should clearly describe a single action. Even if a sequence of steps seems obvious to you, don't assume it's obvious to others. Your target audience is someone who knows absolutely nothing about cars. If that person can easily follow your DIY then you've done a good job.
  • You can link to another DIY if both share a common set of steps. When making that link, specify which steps they should follow from the other DIY. Example: Step 10 of the turbo timer DIY.
  • Any time you link to another page or site, that link should appear in a new window.
  • If there is something specific in a picture you want to focus attention to, put a circle around it. Make sure the circle is thick enough to be easily seen and does not obscure important detail. In the actual step, mention the circle and its color. Example: Step 6 of the turbo timer DIY.
  • If there is more than one thing in the picture you want to circle for different steps, use different color circles. I like to use red for the first circle and green for the second. If there are more than two different things you'd like to circle it's probably better to take another picture. Example: Step 7 of the turbo timer DIY.
________
Uggs

Last edited by PUR NRG; 05-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
L8 BLOOMER

Wonderful idea!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:47 PM
More Cow Bell

The Greddy KIT will be going on by the end of the month. (Waiting on the Interceptor) If you can replace your brakes, you will be able to install the kit. I will also include a steep by step of MazdaManiac’s fixes to the kit if he does not mind. I will also install a boost controller, Blow off valve and the interceptor including a step by step on how to install the O2 censor option. In addition, templates for making your own heat shields and ducting. I have a lot of stuff to put out there, it will be done using this format. I have talked to some of the vendors of the parts going into the car (cant say names yet, wait and see) but they will be editing and proof reading the sections covering the install of their products that way accuracy will be the best possible.
Thanks... Daver out! Oh yeah almost forgot. We are also looking into multi language versions,( PUR NRG is checking on text character support )So as to help out the rest of the guys out there with limited resources and references that their tech can read in their native language. We all know how it feels when a part you have been waiting for arrives, only to realize the instructions are in another language or with limited support. Any help in translating will be greatly appreciated. PS I will do the Spanish, English and German versions any Chinese or Portuguese speakers out there. PM me Daver

Last edited by Daver; 04-04-2006 at 06:57 PM.