Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens

I only have a little over 6000 miles on my 8, but the other day I noticed I already have damaged fins on my oil coolers and ac condenser, so I order the screen set from Racing Beat. They come with very good instructions, but everybody loves pictures, and I couldn't find a DIY thread about this (though there are several for making your own), so I thought I'd contribute one.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-ac_dings.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-oc_dings.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Step 1, take off the front bumper. This is covered extensively in other threads so I won't repeat it here. One thing I will add is if I was going to do this again, I would also remove the under tray, as it would make accessing the lower condenser bolts a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-bumper_off.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered

To install the oil cooler screens, remove one or both of the plastic clips holding the rubber shroud in place. Slide the screen in between the shroud and the cooler. Make sure it's centered, then reattach the shroud.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-install_oc.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-replace_oc_cover.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-right_too.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

For the ac condenser, the screen comes with mounting brackets and bolts. One at a time, remove a bolt holding the ac condenser, then reuse it to install one of the brackets. Leave the bolts a little loose for positioning the screen.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-remove_ac_bolt.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-install_ac_bracket.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-upper_right_bracket.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered

Once all the brackets are in place, using the bolts provided, attach the screen.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-ac_screen_2bolts.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-finished.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Once everything is tightened down, reattach the bumper. I was running out of daylight so I didn't take a picture at this step. Total time spent was probably around an two hours., not all of which was working on the car.

Really really easy to do, and cheap protection for expensive parts. When I bought mine last weekend RB was having a sale, buy both sets for $10 off.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered

Thanks

I bought some used screens with no directions. This helps, and it does seem easy. Are those M2 snow tires? I got those too!

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Registered

Close, they're M3s. I just scanned the instructions in case anything wasn't clear.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-ac0001.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-oil0001.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Cool man!! Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm Burnin for You

Have you noticed any performance decrease with these? I'm considering ordering these but I don't know how critical it is for the AC Condensor. Any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

I haven't noticed any difference at all. I haven't used my AC yet this year, so I don't know if it will affect it.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Registered

I just installed my screens and honestly, it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. Took me about an hour from start to finish.

I haven't noticed any difference in AC performance and I live in Texas.....very hot and humid this time of year!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Location: I've shaken off the sands of SouthWest Asia and returned to Houston and Gulfport, MS
Racing Beat oil cooler and radiator screens. I just did this installation. Less than two hours for a very clumsy novice mechanic, including checking into the self-serve repair shop (military) and clean-up. This was my first time pulling the front bumper, but I have replaced the corners, so that part was familiar.

Kudos to Racing Beat for a fine product at a fair price. On-line ordering and UPS delivery was painless.

The Oil cooler screens are installed flush against the radiator face, so they could decrease air flow (maybe 20%?). The a/c screen stands off a half-inch or so away from the radiator, so airflow should not be impeded at all.

Last edited by RotrDoc; 10-02-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Time for boost...

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Bumping this old thread!
I just installed these screens. I think that this mod is way overlooked!
I've added some pictures (sorry, crappy blackberry photos with very little light) to show how what the coolers looked like with just over 30,000km's!
If you haven't done this mod yet, I highly suggest you do! (especially if you're living in the warmer climates and you rely on cooling)...
It's very easy to do! Even if it's your first time removing the bumper...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-right-cooler.jpg   DIY: Installing Racing Beat oil cooler & AC condenser screens-img00151-20110114-1445.jpg