Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Beginners Luck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure

Hey all just wanted to get some input on a project I will be sarting in a couple weeks. I am going to fiberglass my false floor into an enclosure for my sub. I have read quite a few posts and done some price shopping on materials. I have also thought extensively on methods of aproach and design. I have found mainly all materials at Loews ( Home Depot). I had a couple questions on materials though. I printed out a list that was compiled from lil bennys diy and bob the eskimo (btw thanks guys). I have found the gallon of polyester resin; I was looking for the hardner and only found it in a kit with epoxy resin. Is there another name or can I find more without having to buy the kit since I will be using polyester? Also the fg that I found was in a packet for about 5.99. Does this sound right or will I be buying a crap load of packets? This will be my first attempt at building any type of enclosure mdf or fg. My mind is bursting with the idea I have and can't wait to finally put it down. Another question, has anyone made an all fg enclosure or must you use mdf as support. The design I am wanting has curves in it and don't think I can really use mdf to make this happen. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW its for a single 12'' sub and it will be in the shape of the rotary symbol angled from flase floor towards front of car at about 45 degree angle.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Don't buy your stuff from Lowes (or Home Depot). They only sell the lowest quality resin they make.

Give me a min and I'll find the store I bought my stuff from. I highly recommend it - it's sooo much better than the Lowes crap. Like comparing a Maserati to a Yugo.

Edit: here ya go:

http://www.uscomposites.com/
Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Beginners Luck

checking it out now ty vm. They also send you hardening mix as well if its called catalyst.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Beginners Luck

there is something called surfacing wax. would this be the same as carnuba wax or can i just stick t using pam?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
DGAF

I've worked a LOT with fiberglass (I repair boats). I can tell you, the best place to get resin is a marine supply store.

First off, Polyester resin hardener (MEKP) is NOT the same as epoxy hardener. Epoxy and Polyester are two totally different substances. MEKP is available in clear tubes at marine supply stores such as West Marine.

Don't bother with packets of fiberglass materials, but a gallon of resin will probably be excessive. Go with a quart or two, and the hardener should be included. It's in a very small tube, and this small tube contains enough hardener for the whole quart. Trust me on this.

There are two different types of polyester resin: laminating (or regular) and finishing. Laminating resin remains tacky even when cured so that another layer can be put on and bond correctly. Finishing resin does not, but I only recommend you use it for the top layer.

Curves are easy in fiberglass; it's corners that are difficult. The less sharp corners your design has, the better.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Beginners Luck

Update on my install. Ok, so I got impatient and instead of waiting for funds to build a fg enclosure, I decided to go with an mdf enclosure. I just finished installing 2 alpine spr-17ls component speakers in my 8 replacing my bose 9' woofers in doors and 6x9's in rear. I also installed my Audiocontrol LC6 with bass ****. I then started Sunday building my enclosure. I measured 3 times and tried to cut once but came with some issues. I made a floor and 3 walls in the false floor. I measured an 11' height for my last wall going from false floor to top of said box. Had to be 11', anymore and my box would not fit through trunk lips. Depth of back wall from left to right was 30' to overlap about 2' on each side of false floor. Then proceeded to build my upper level (trunk level) flooring 30' x 16' with cut out for my 3 false floor walls. I had everything going real good then I had to put the last piece on which was the front where my sub would be mounted. The ring that was I was going to screw my sub into was nailed and liquid nailed to the front panel so that it could have a flush mount look to it. It would not sit right on the box; the bottom part of the ring was hitting my box and not sitting just right inside the baffle. I could not build another one cause it would do the same since there was little room in trunk to make a bigger box. This one was just right and only needed to redo baffle. So I measured yet again and noticed this Audiobahn 12 alum12n would not sit in this box even if I just screwed it into baffle with no flush ring. Just when I thought the world had came crashing on me, I slept on it to decide to slobaric this sub and make it point inward. So yesterday when I got off work I ran home to give it a run. Had to be cautious since I was running out of wood. I measured 3 times cut once and measured sub solobaric and box included to make sure I made the 11' height limit. According to my measurements, it fit. So i commence to mounting it and then when I go to sit it in trunk, it wouldn't go in. I didn't stress, I instead said 'hey dumba$$ just unscrew it and put the box in first. So I did and dang it looks cool as heck. Yeah there is liquid nail all over that sob, but it sounds good. Now I need to hide al my wire so I will be building hideaway panels tonight. Hope I have enough wood. Made a sketch of my plan so you can get a picture of it. Will need to carpet it. Hope the attachment comes out.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure-speaker-box1.jpg  

Last edited by psyc604303; 03-21-2006 at 08:23 AM. Reason: picture didn't attach
Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Beginners Luck

Decided to use my camera phone to take some pics.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure-03-21-06_0828.jpg   DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure-03-21-06_0829.jpg   DIY: false floor fiberglass enclosure-03-21-06_0830.jpg  
Old 03-21-2006, 11:07 AM

When I think of a false floor, I think of a place to hide or mount stuff, like amps. I don't see any of that. Your box sure takes up a ton of space. Was it supposed to fit flush with the back of the seats? Also, you should use drywall screws instead of nails; predrill the holes and countersink the heads. Otherwise you'll split the MDF and your carpet will have lumps.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 AM

I got a lot more speaker in much less space!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM
FEAST!

Originally Posted by evilmiata
I got a lot more speaker in much less space!

Yep that's what I did too. Except my speakers face the other direction and the amp is mounted on the back of the box facing the trunk. I think the other picture above looks pretty ghetto-ish with that huge magnet facing up into the truck. For me, I sill like to use my trunk for putting some things in it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Beginners Luck

Thanks for the input on the drywall screws. Will go and use those. Had the speaker been able to fit inside the box, it would not have taken up so much space. However, I figure I didn't get this car to go grocery shopping in it. It is my first attempt at making any type of enclosure and will more than likely be upgraded. I am hoping to advance to fabricating a fg enclosure as originally stated. Kind of anxious really to try something like that. I wanted to make something that didn't look plain jane. According to audiobahn, this speaker had a min of .55 cu and max of 2.5 cu ft.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
FEAST!

Well I just hope you don't have to go on a long trip. It's tough getting a suitcase into the backseat and it WILL scratch the plastic on the back of your front seats. I know from experience.