Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Calibrate your dipstick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Lubricious

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DIY: Calibrate your dipstick

Newer RX-8 come with a "calibrated" dipstick to give a better idea of actual oil level. This is because the travel from FULL to LOW is non-linear.

A simple rotate and resize of the graphic from the dipstick TSB yields the template below, which can be used to calibrate the dipstick in your older RX-8.

Hopefully, it will print out correctly for you. If not you may have to do another resize to get the FULL and LOW marks to line up. The original is sized at 72 dpi.

I used a Dremel engraving tool to apply the new "dimples", though you could do just as well making horizontal grooves with a file. While you're at it, it's easy enough to turn over the stick and put another full set of markings on the reverse side if you're like me and sometimes feel a need to turn over the stick to get a "second oilpinion".

Likewise, it's also a good opportunity to sand off the curiously dark "paint" from the measurement zone. The result is that it makes the level much easier to see, imo.

After sanding, I learned what one of the purposes of the paint/anodizing might be -- to allow the oil to easily "wet" the dipstick. After my initial sanding the oil wanted to bead up in a ragged, thin vertical line on the stick. Not so good for reading the level. This was due to sanding along the length of the dipstick. Sanding *across* with 100-grit paper created enough of a horizontal pattern to hold the oil and it reads just fine.

It's also nice to be able to see the color of the oil for a change.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Calibrate your dipstick-dipcal72.jpg  
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick

Thanks for the info. The dipstick markings are definitely confusing.