Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY - Foglights and running lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Corey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY - Foglights and running lights

Could anyone provide an in-depth DIY for the foglights and the running lights. [194 bulbs closest to the mazda badge] I am having a heck of a time trying to install them.
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Corey

help!

any advice or help would be great! I have read all that I could find on the forum and this area seems to be lacking. Thanks again for any help!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Ricer is Nicer.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably.......

What exactly are you trying to do?

Fog lights on without headlights? (There is already a good DIY for that.)

Fogs on whenever the 'running' lights are on?

Just fog & running lights, but no other lights?

I am sure we can help, if you can define your need a little. :D
doc
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Student Driver

Heres a link I believe may inspire you...

Originally Posted by Omicron
Brilliant? WOW, that's a nice thing to say... nice enough, in fact, that you motivated me to not only go check but also to take a pic of my mod and try to figure out how to post it here. :D

I used a "red" wiretap to tap into the thin white with red stripe wire leading away from the "ACC" relay, which is in the 5th position in the same row as the fog relay, or 2 positions to the right of the fog relay if you look at the fuse box from the right. I picked this wire by removing the relay, then testing with a DMM to find a wire that was "hot" with the ignition key on only.

Hope this helps!

PHOTO
Old 08-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Corey

my bad

I was just wondering how to install the bulbs for the fog lights and the running lights. I have not been able to fully understand what to take apart and where to put the bulbs in at. I was hoping someone could provide pictures for that. I attempted to reach the running lights by popping the hood and I was able to grab a hold of some wires but I wasn't sure what to do from there. I am alos confused about how to change the foglights. Sorry for my lack of specificity.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Registered

did the deed and long time since I've visited

Hi everybody!

It's been a long since I've visited the forum. I'm sure glad it's here.

I had a light go out on one of the fog lamps. I decided to look up DIY and found the bulbs to use. I ordered them and they came this week.

I'd like to thank everyone for the great input on each step on putting the different bulbs in; I couldn't have done it so quickly without the input - it would have taken so much longer.

The lights look way cool and brighter; I went with the Super white 194's and also the Super white H11's 80 watt.

Now we'll see how the fuse holds up.

Thanks again everyone; talk to ya'll soon.

-jcs-
Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm Burnin for You

position light DIY https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-yourself-forum-73/diy-installing-parking-lights-87140/
Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
running on double cream!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its simple to put in the fog lights if you just take the bumper off, which all of 10 minutes, even quicker to get it back on. its really not as hard as it looks. as far as the position lights, listen to ndtechie09, i did it with him this weekend, its a tight fit for your hands but possible, just get someone with small hands..
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 AM
the stig is my hero

If taking the bumper off is inconvenient for you however, you could just look inside each wheel well, take off the bottom screws that hold that plastic shroud on, reach up under the bumper and swap out the lights that way. I live in an apartment complex that frowns on working on your car. This took me all of 5 minutes to do.

The running lights are a snap. There's actually diagrams in your user's manual (in the back under owner maintenance). On the driver's side, it's a matter of squeezing your fingertips in there and turning that light grey plastic tube counter-clockwise. The whole tube will come out and you just swap out the bulb and put it back in. On the passenger side, you must at least take the cover off that's in your way. Then it's the same procedure. Swapping these guys out is the painful part ;-)
Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
^^How the heck to you take off the cover. I remove the 3 bolts and it won't budge on the left
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t-run/8
^^How the heck to you take off the cover. I remove the 3 bolts and it won't budge on the left

+1 same question here..