Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY : Easy way to get rid of squeeking brakes in 60 seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:24 PM
18 year old speed freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY : Easy way to get rid of squeeking brakes in 60 seconds

Well , I was just cleaning my wheels as usually and thought " oh **** , what if I spray this **** on the brake calipher" , and guess what ? It stopped the brake squeel for about 400-500 miles. Anyways , This is what you do ...

You need..

Armor all brake dust cleaner for wheels (not the one that comes in the sprayer , get the one in the can that FOAMS) about 5 bucks

Garden hose in your front lawn (hopefully free)

Anyways Spray it on your wheels and your calipher and be sure to foam it into where the brake pads are. It'll foam and let it drip, it'll drip all the brake dust out.

let it drip for 60 seconds, then wash off with hose. I think this stuff has some kind of wax in it , cause it left the wheels silky smooth and dripped all the brake dust out.

This way is much easier than taking apart the brake calipher and cleaning it. Takes about 60 seconds per wheel if you hose and spray fast .

Remember to get the stuff that foams, called armorall brake dust cleaner for wheels. It makes the brake dust float on top of the foam and drip off and then wash it all away with the hose.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Registered

I don't see that particular product listed on their site...the all wheel cleaner specifically says to not use it on brakes or other zinc-coated surfaces. If it has some kind of wax or silicone in it, is it really something you want to put on your brake pads?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:15 PM
18 year old speed freak

Originally Posted by B-Nez
I don't see that particular product listed on their site...the all wheel cleaner specifically says to not use it on brakes or other zinc-coated surfaces. If it has some kind of wax or silicone in it, is it really something you want to put on your brake pads?
iono if its ok to use on the brake pads, but i've been through 1000 miles and everything is ok. It says safe to use on all wheels - chrome - aluminum blah blah blah, I bought my can from autozone, they sell them there for about 5-6 bucks.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
ANGER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the squeaks bad and now that you mention it I haven't heard much squeaking since I have started using a similar product (i think its called hotwheels cleaner or something). hmmmm weird that I didn't notice till now
Old 09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
ANGER

Originally Posted by abbid
mazda brakes are performance, much harder than normal brakes, which will leave brake dust. Screw paying 4 dollars for some foam in a can, next time you hit an off ramp get up to about 90 MPH, and slam the brakes on, stop the car from 90-0 in 8 seconds, and you wont be squeelin anymore. Voila, cheap free and quicker :D
yeah but that doesn't clean your wheel very well... $4...worth it
Old 09-16-2004, 03:59 PM
18 year old speed freak

Originally Posted by abbid
mazda brakes are performance, much harder than normal brakes, which will leave brake dust. Screw paying 4 dollars for some foam in a can, next time you hit an off ramp get up to about 90 MPH, and slam the brakes on, stop the car from 90-0 in 8 seconds, and you wont be squeelin anymore. Voila, cheap free and quicker :D
I definitely think you have a huge risk of warping your rotors like that .... hopefully you didn't do that :D
Old 09-17-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by titaniumgrey

Armor all brake dust cleaner for wheels (not the one that comes in the sprayer , get the one in the can that FOAMS) about 5 bucks

Is this the stuff you mean ( might be called something different in the US.

http://www.armorall.co.uk/web/extra15.html

I can't seem to attach images, to this thread , so I will have to use the link.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:59 AM
18 year old speed freak

Originally Posted by moatz
Is this the stuff you mean ( might be called something different in the US.

http://www.armorall.co.uk/web/extra15.html

I can't seem to attach images, to this thread , so I will have to use the link.
yep thats the stuff , its called the same in the USA , I'm from the USA :D , anyways they come in big *** can's that say 33% more free on it. Good buy , I think autozone has them right now for 5-6 bucks.

Weird you guys are right , it an't on the USA armor all site

Edit: oops sorry, just noticed you were from the UK lol, looks like it'll be easy for you to find it , weird that they don't have it on the USA site, cause it works alot better than the spray type armorall ....

Last edited by titaniumgrey; 09-18-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:10 AM
no more 8

was up at mazda getting my first oil change and was talking to the guy about my breaks squeaking. he told me to go to an open parking lot and drive in reverse and while reversing apply some stout pressure to the breaks. he called it an "old army trick". and you know what...it worked!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by titaniumgrey
yep thats the stuff , its called the same in the USA , I'm from the USA :D , anyways they come in big *** can's that say 33% more free on it. Good buy , I think autozone has them right now for 5-6 bucks.

Weird you guys are right , it an't on the USA armor all site

Got some from my local motor factors.

Will give it a go.

Thanks,
Old 09-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Even My Dog Searches

hard braking from high speeds does NOT make the squeal go away - I can attest to that, along with many others here.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:14 PM
18 year old speed freak

Actually the more I think about it ... hard braking can make it worst cause of more brake dust build up ....
Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
how loud is your brake squeeking? mine just started, but it's very high pitched and only happens when i put a decent amount of pressure on it. it doesn't bother me right now.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:34 PM

Just to be sure, you're talking about "Tire Foam" in the U.S.A., right? This product: http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/pages/tires_2.18.html . Thanks.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 AM
18 year old speed freak

Originally Posted by huhsler
Just to be sure, you're talking about "Tire Foam" in the U.S.A., right? This product: http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/pages/tires_2.18.html . Thanks.
No dude, don't get that! THATS FOR TIRES!!! , THAT will definitely make more squeel and **** up your brakes if you spray it on there! lol, I'm talking a bout WHEEL cleaner , not tire stuff. Tire's don't make noise unless you floor it :D
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

I have had this issue for a while now, and I saw that this thread was pretty old with no one saying whether it worked or not. Here is my experience...

My brakes started sqeaking and the first thing I did was call up the dealership, because my car was under warranty. The guy at the dealership was absolutely useless. He informed me that it would be about $300 for new brake pads + labor, or it would be $45 just to see what is wrong with the car. You would think he would tell me maybe it has some dust in it. He didn't even want to check to see how long I had left on my warranty! Anyway, since my car only has 14,000 miles, I knew it probably was not the pads, so I checked the forums and saw this thread.

As of April 21,2008, AutoZone still sells a wheel foam product. There was only 1 left and only 1 brand at my store. It was a 2-in-1 tire/wheel cleaner. I covered the brakes with it very well (get the top good so it drips down inside). I pulled out of the lot, hit the brakes and got a squeak (oh no, it didnt work!). However, I drove around for a while and that initial squeak was all I got, so it may take using the brakes a few times before you don't hear it anymore.

It worked! My brakes have not squeaked at all for about 30 miles so far. It was a quick $5 fix compared to the dealerships hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for saving me a lot of money titaniumgrey!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Hit & Run Magnet

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, way to necro ironj.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

I just wanted to say that this DOES work! My brakes havent squeaked on about 4 months since trying this. I didnt use the Armor All, I went with the F21 foaming wheel cleaner by Turtle Wax.
Solved my squeak problem.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
BRINGIN_FIRE

I have a solution that takes 5 seconds. Turn the volume up on your radio just kidding. THe OEM Pads produce to much dust that is where the squeals come from the buildup on the Pads. But using the armor all works!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered Zoom Zoomer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I get very little brake dust - since I don't use the brakes much. That's what engine compression-braking is for (manual xmission of course).