Notices
New Member Forum A place for new members to get their feet wet

New RX8 Owner Finally Bad Engine Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RX8 Owner Finally Bad Engine Help

Ok I totally screwed up I found a 2004 RX8 at auction and it had no key so I took the gamble and got it, I've wanted a Mazda sense the very first zoom zoom commercial. After getting a key made and replacing the battery I couldnt get it to start so I had it towed to Mazda and they told me it needs a new engine. I'm newly divorced after 26 years, kids are grown and have moved away with my grandkids and starting there own lives so it's only me now, hense getting a RX8! I don't know where to start or what my new baby needs or even who to call, I live in Sacramento CA it's an automatic 3.1 6 speed please any help would be really appreciated!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 965 Likes on 840 Posts
Did they explain what specifically wrong with the engine?
I'd say you have a few options: find a tested-good or freshly rebuilt engine replacement. It'll be 5-6 thousand.

Or, you can cut your losses on the automatic, sell it for what you can, and find a 6-speed which is faster and more reliable and easier/cheaper to fix and get it tested before you buy!!

There is a thread in this forum called "New and Potential Owners". Read it and read it again until you feel you can make the right call for you.

Also what is an automatic 3.1? There is no 3.1 anywhere in this car.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:29 AM
Smoking turbo yay

Received 667 Likes on 593 Posts
Sounds a little funny to me. A new battery and/or a new key can destroy an engine? That's a new one.

Just so we are clear, the battery cables are connected properly, right? Just wanna get that out of the way.

If the battery is 100% good, start by doing a compression test and see how well the engine is doing, unless your dealership actually performed it(which you didn't say anything about). Remember, you will have to have a Mazda dealership do this(US$150-ish) or a rotary shop/guru(cheaper, but you will have to search around) test it with a special machine. Your result should have 8 numbers, with the compression number of 3 faces of each rotor, and the cranking RPM for each rotor. Here is an example:

Compression result example

04s and early 05s also have weak starters, so that may also be your culprit. You can get an updated OEM starter that is more powerful.

Start with the compression test and report back, then peeps can help you more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.