Notices
Series I Trouble Shooting This is the place to learn more about or discuss any issues you're having with your RX-8

Engine idles rough/stalls when warm after cleaning SSV.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine idles rough/stalls when warm after cleaning SSV.

I have a 2004 RX8, 6-speed, with 104k miles.. I had the P2070 cel code for a while now, and finally got around to cleaning the SSV, as that code means the SSV is sticking, and it definitely was, as it was so gunked up it was incredibly hard to pull out. Anyways, I got it out and cleaned it up, good as new.. Re-installed it no problem, and put everything back together, making sure I re-connected all the hoses. Now, after I finished, I did notice a roughly 3/8" diameter hose behind the alternator which was not connected to anything, but I could not see anything that it could connect to given its length, so I assumed it was a vent tube?..

Went to start the car, and it acted like it was flooded, obviously some carb cleaner got into the engine, so I deflooded it by pressing the gas and cranking a few times, then it started up and idled no problem. Let it run about 10 minutes till warm, then shut it off because I needed to top off the antifreeze since I lost some when I removed the thermostat housing.

Now, with the car warm, I went to restart, and it started fine, but then rough idled for a few seconds then died. Same thing happened a few times, but found I could rev it and keep it running, and after feathering the throttle a little while, I could get it to idle, but it was rough, and if I revved it, it would drop to around 400 rpm before coming back up to ~800, still rough.

CEL was still on, so I got my scanner and found the same code as before, with some new ones, 2 abs code, and one code for a lean condition. That's when I though maybe vacuum leak, went to the engine, and heard what sounds like air leaking, but I couldn't see anything.. The only air/vacuum lines I disconnected were the one to the SSV, and the ones to/from the air pump, which were re-connected back up, & the rest were coolant lines.. Any ideas?

*The coils and spark plugs are brand new also, with maybe 100 miles on them.

Last edited by robkiehl21; 03-11-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever figure it out

[QUOTE=robkiehl21;4438452]I have a 2004 RX8, 6-speed, with 104k miles.. I had the P2070 cel code for a while now, and finally got around to cleaning the SSV, as that code means the SSV is sticking, and it definitely was, as it was so gunked up it was incredibly hard to pull out. Anyways, I got it out and cleaned it up, good as new.. Re-installed it no problem, and put everything back together, making sure I re-connected all the hoses. Now, after I finished, I did notice a roughly 3/8" diameter hose behind the alternator which was not connected to anything, but I could not see anything that it could connect to given its length, so I assumed it was a vent tube?..

Went to start the car, and it acted like it was flooded, obviously some carb cleaner got into the engine, so I deflooded it by pressing the gas and cranking a few times, then it started up and idled no problem. Let it run about 10 minutes till warm, then shut it off because I needed to top off the antifreeze since I lost some when I removed the thermostat housing.

Now, with the car warm, I went to restart, and it started fine, but then rough idled for a few seconds then died. Same thing happened a few times, but found I could rev it and keep it running, and after feathering the throttle a little while, I could get it to idle, but it was rough, and if I revved it, it would drop to around 400 rpm before coming back up to ~800, still rough.

CEL was still on, so I got my scanner and found the same code as before, with some new ones, 2 abs code, and one code for a lean condition. That's when I though maybe vacuum leak, went to the engine, and heard what sounds like air leaking, but I couldn't see anything.. The only air/vacuum lines I disconnected were the one to the SSV, and the ones to/from the air pump, which were re-connected back up, & the rest were coolant lines.. Any ideas?

*The coils and spark plugs are brand new also, with maybe 100 miles on them.[/Q
Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
You bumped a four and a half year old thread, and the user hasn't been online in four years. I'm sure he will come back and tell you what he did.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 964 Likes on 839 Posts
You found a line that didn't connect anywhere, the car is showing a lean condition, you hear air hissing, and you don't believe it's a vacuum leak?

Find a vacuum diagram and trace that line you found, and plug it where it's supposed to go. There are no vent tubes.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 PM
No respecter of malarkey

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,649 Posts
There are three 10mm vent hoses that plug into the rubber accordion intake tube at the front of the throttle body. Start from there and follow each one. If it’s hissing then it’s probably either the liwer intake manifold jet air hose or the oil injector relief air hose. They both are in the area where you were working.