Location (US State/Canada/Int):

Item Condition:

FS: 06 Galaxy Grey 6MT GT RX-8 w/ 936m

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Peeping over the fence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take back everything I said. You should just get the STi. It will be so good in the snow.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
space for rent

Originally Posted by RX8junkie
I don't know. You guys have to understand that we're getting absolutely covered with snow here and the roads are basically iced over. I know a lot of people with S10's at my school and they're forced to throw in hundreds of pounds of weights into their beds to stop from fishtailing. I'm thinking about the MS3 still. I might go and get an STi...
if you're saying that the S10 is sliding on the road, it's the roads and not the car. i think everyone's just trying to make sure you don't take a big hit by selling so quickly but you're a big boy, you can figure it out. you'll need snow tires no matter what you drive and the only thing that will be different is that you may not be in a RWD if you go the AWD or FWD route. it's your hit you'll be taking but it doesn't seem worth freaking out and making a rash decision b/c of a bad winter.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
road warrior

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you seen the weight distribution of the S10? Of course it's going to fishtail in snow, 70% of the weight is over the front wheels; it makes for one tail happy car, especially if the people you know have the rear drive versions. The RX-8 has a much more neutral weight distribution, the only advantages I see a rear drive S10 having over the RX-8 is its extra ground clearance and huge bed in the rear for tossing weight in. The RX-8 might not be perfect for snow, but with the right tires it'll go a long way.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Just put sandbags in your car like the s10 guys plus the winter tires
Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 AM

I'm not in too much of a rush just yet. Still crunching numbers and making phone calls.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 AM

btw: morning bump
Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Peeping over the fence

Bump for what? You are just looking for a reason to spend more of mom's money. You get a brand new car and keep it a month and decide you want something else, but you don't know what it is yet. You are looking for someone else to decide what to replace your RX-8 with.

Spoiled brat.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
you're a kid - go home

Originally Posted by Wilson
Bump for what? You are just looking for a reason to spend more of mom's money. You get a brand new car and keep it a month and decide you want something else, but you don't know what it is yet. You are looking for someone else to decide what to replace your RX-8 with.

Spoiled brat.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Peeping over the fence

By the way. RX8junkie was the wrong nick for you. My guess is that someone at school beat you in a race, so your new badass car is not so badass anymore. You needed an excuse to make mom replace it with a more badass car. Safety in snow sounded like a good excuse to you. You know what? There will always be a faster car out there. Get over it. Grow up.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
road warrior

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the point of crunching numbers? Buying a new car, selling it in a month and after a thousand miles only to buy another one will lose you a ton of money, especially on a car with a depreciation curve like the RX-8.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
you're a kid - go home

CRAP! It's snowing outside! I need to sell my 8 and get a WRX before I go home. Any offers???? I'll sell cheap since I'm in a bind!!!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:01 PM

My guess is that someone at school beat you in a race, so your new badass car is not so badass anymore. Get over it. Grow up.
I don't even ******* race. I suggest you watch what you're saying. I love the RX-8 for what it is. I'm not using the fact that it sucks in the snow as an excuse. I'm drifting between getting snow tires and wheels and a FW or AWD car. I don't want to go and buy some new tires and wheels and the car still not going and I don't want to go and buy another car if some new tires and wheels is all the 8 needs. I haven't raced a single ******* kid at school in my life. Some jackass wanted to race me with his dad's 350z...dueschbag didn't even show up for the race.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Screw gas mileage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
calm down everyone

dude, the cheapest and easiest solution is the snow tires. Plenty of people here will attest to the fact that the car is fine with them on. All of the cars you have mentioned, MS3, STi, will need snow tires as well, and you'll just be out a whole lotta money.

btw, before you find out the hard way, a Z is faster than an 8
Old 02-06-2007, 02:24 PM
you're a kid - go home

I don't even ******* race. I suggest you watch what you're saying. I love the RX-8 for what it is. I'm not using the fact that it sucks in the snow as an excuse. I'm drifting between getting snow tires and wheels and a FW or AWD car. I don't want to go and buy some new tires and wheels and the car still not going and I don't want to go and buy another car if some new tires and wheels is all the 8 needs. I haven't raced a single ******* kid at school in my life. Some jackass wanted to race me with his dad's 350z...dueschbag didn't even show up for the race.

Pace yourself with the cussing. It proves nothing.

If you buy snow tires and the car still won't go, it will then be a driver issue. As I said before, I routinely drive in snow. Just last week I was in 5" of fresh power along with packed snow and ice.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Sorry. Anyway, I'm doing some number punching so I don't loose a lot of money. If you want to know, I got the car for 23k and I'm being offered 22.5k by the dealer for a trade in. If $500 less is getting raped, then I guess I'm screwed....If you want to know how bad it is here, my neighbor's FWD van and camry got stuck in their driveway with brand new winter treads on them and both times I went to go help them. My mom's SUV w/ 4WD option has troubles as well. The roads here are really really bad.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Peeping over the fence

Several people here gave you very good advice. Get some snow tires. Your mom's SUV probably doesn't have snow tires either. If everyone there is having a hard time with the weather, then getting another car is not going to help you. Since you are so intent on getting another car, go for it. Just get ready to buy some snow tires for it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Registered

Sorry. Anyway, I'm doing some number punching so I don't loose a lot of money. If you want to know, I got the car for 23k and I'm being offered 22.5k by the dealer for a trade in. If $500 less is getting raped, then I guess I'm screwed....If you want to know how bad it is here, my neighbor's FWD van and camry got stuck in their driveway with brand new winter treads on them and both times I went to go help them. My mom's SUV w/ 4WD option has troubles as well. The roads here are really really bad.
Umm, so you paid $23k, and now 936 miles later you're trying to sell for $25k, because you found out that it snows in MI. Huh.

Well, I'm in Ca, and there's no snow here, so that's good. You got the color combo I (read: my wife) wants, so I'll buy it from you. $20k. I'll come get it.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Scuderia

Same summer tires on an AWD or FWD car will give the same poor result. I have a buddy with an STi that barely budged in the recent snow storm because he has summer tires on. The issue isn't the car, it's the tires. My 8 with winter tires drives like a champ in the snow. Night and day difference between summer tires and winters.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Several people here gave you very good advice. Get some snow tires. Your mom's SUV probably doesn't have snow tires either. If everyone there is having a hard time with the weather, then getting another car is not going to help you. Since you are so intent on getting another car, go for it. Just get ready to buy some snow tires for it.
True, they have. My mom's SUV actually got brand new snow tires.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by wishboneracing
Umm, so you paid $23k, and now 936 miles later you're trying to sell for $25k, because you found out that it snows in MI. Huh.

Well, I'm in Ca, and there's no snow here, so that's good. You got the color combo I (read: my wife) wants, so I'll buy it from you. $20k. I'll come get it.
PMed.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Price: $22.5k...still a little flexible though.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 PM

If an SUV with winter tires isnt getting anywhere, no one is getting anywhere, what are you gonna get? now... get urself a skidoo.....

try read other parts of the forum, a RWD with snow tires is just as good as any other car, the RX-8 might have less ground clearance, but it'll drive on PLOWED roads just as good as other cars. they key is snow tires, and DONT try driving with stock tires on snow.
________
VAPE INFO

Last edited by Renesis_8; 09-11-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Some jackass wanted to race me with his dad's 350z...dueschbag didn't even show up for the race.
So you were there waiting for him because you were going to race him??
My Jedi Powers allow me to "read between the lines"
Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

PM sent
Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi54
So you were there waiting for him because you were going to race him??
My Jedi Powers allow me to "read between the lines"
Haha, pretty sweet Jedi Powers. The truth is that the kid had driven a stick once let alone the 350Z. He stalled it at least 5 times pulling out of the school parking lot. I still don't like racing but the kid was making up **** about how he beat me in his "HEMI trail blazer"....I haven't talked **** about him even though he didn't show up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.