Should I save it...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I save it...?

Hey friends and family,

Was driving at about 5k rpms, had a miss fire with blinking cel (this was a frequent occurrence, I was at school had no time/money to replace coils wires etc, but the car ran fine other than the miss fires)

Had my final miss fire.... which IMO killed the car (as expected... but didn't believe)
Got the car home, ran the codes, SSV valve malfunction and misfire...
Replaced plugs coils and wires, took out the SSV and cleaned it, replaced ssv solenoid, checked all UIM for leaks. SSV code disappeared, but still misfired. Bumped it into gear to get it started, had to keep it at 1500 rpms because it would not idle on its own.

Im going to make this short even though I could rant all day about how I have tried everything on this forum about miss fires...

Low compression. (got it tested by a "professional")

Moral of the story is:
-Is it possible that the miss fire blew out an apex seal? The engine was rebuild I had about 20k miles on the rebuild. Kept up on oil changes, ran high octane, treated her like a princess
-The car ran perfect up until a month ago, started with the miss fires and didn't think anything of it. I was waiting until I got back home to diagnose it just figured it was the coils and wires. I need to be clear that the car had ZERO issues other than random miss fires

Actual moral of story:
-The engine now has low compression. 30 psi on both rotors, faces were different though like 20 psi on one face, 15, and 35.
-Did a miss fire blow out the apex

Heres some pics because I think it's the most beautiful rx8 I've ever seen and idk if I should invest my summer savings into this b****

Old 06-25-2018, 07:08 PM
FULLY SEMI AUTOMATIC

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,992 Posts
misfires kill cats which kills engines. do you have a cat? if you do get a rebuild please lose didch that wing and led strips on your headlights.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 968 Likes on 843 Posts
"treated her like a princess".. "zero issues"...drove around with misfires... :/

Nobody here can tell you what to do with your money. Obviously nobody wants to see a good car go to waste for an avoidable problem. But the fact thay both rotors are low on compression points to long term wear. Either your misfires killed the cat, or the rebuild was botched from the start. Or there's another problem you're not aware of.

Also a misfire doesn't blow out anything. It's the absence of fire.

Who rebuilt it? Do you trust them to do it properly again?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM
You gonna eat that?

Received 2,666 Likes on 2,177 Posts
You treated it like this princess.

If you can't stay on top of the common issues that plague 8s, get rid of it.

Btw, eyes of the beholder.
Not even close to the nicest 8s on this forum.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 AM
What am I doing here?

Received 649 Likes on 510 Posts
Post the actual compression numbers. Preferably a photo of the dealership paperwork. If it wasn't a dealership, ask them which compression testing tool they used. If they used anything other than a rotary engine compression tester, tell them to FOAD and find a shop with one. Hell, see if forum sponsor RotaryCompressionTester.Com still offers rentals.

Worse case scenario: your engine is shot.

Solution 1: Mazda reman engine is ~$3000. Add in another $1000 for shipping, tools, ancillaries, and incidentals and your car will be in good shape for another X-thousand miles.

Solution 2: Replace the car. Um, yah. The sky is the limit, here. There are two advantages here. First, you can finance (which will be tough to do with solution 1 except by using a credit card). Second, you can get a nice, reliable Honda, Subaru, or Toyota that responds better to deferred maintenance.

Best case scenario: The garage you took it to are a bunch of numpties and you need a second opinion.

Solution: Take it to another shop.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Smoking turbo yay

Received 668 Likes on 594 Posts
Misfire shouldn't be a common occurrence. It means you need new coils/wires/spark plugs. Easy-to-prevent issues.

I go by the saying "maintenance before mods". Looks like you put some effort in your headlights and wing, but that money should have gone to a new ignition system first. Tsk Tsk...

Assuming the compression test is accurate, you need a new engine and probably a new cat if you have one.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 PM
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX
Misfire shouldn't be a common occurrence. It means you need new coils/wires/spark plugs. Easy-to-prevent issues.

I go by the saying "maintenance before mods". Looks like you put some effort in your headlights and wing, but that money should have gone to a new ignition system first. Tsk Tsk...

Assuming the compression test is accurate, you need a new engine and probably a new cat if you have one.
Bad cats cause misfires.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Smoking turbo yay

Received 668 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by BigCajun
Bad cats cause misfires.
And vice versa. Just a downhill slope if you let the ignition or the cat slip.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for the responses. I know "treated her like a princess" was a bit of overkill... I know I should of had it in the garage for the first miss fire... but, didn't have any way to do so. It has a gutted cat w/ catback exhaust. The compression test was done with a rotary compression tester (idk make or model) but the guy tested 3 other rx8's that were in my driveway. The others tested in the 90's for psi. Mine was in the 30's.... The biggest concern I had was miss fires are related to apex failures which I know the in theory they are (clogged cat=miss fire=compression loss) but are they directly related...? Based on the comments I'm guessing it's not. And the headlights and wing???? Come on fam RACECAR! But I know I'm cliche
Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 968 Likes on 843 Posts
If your cat has been gutted since the rebuild, I would be more concerned about the quality of the engine rebuild. Gutted cat can't clog and can't really kill the engine. And misfires from poor ignition are bad, but they don't do anything to the apex seal. Those things aren't connected.

So. Who did the rebuild, what parts did they reuse and how was it broken in?
I'm especially suspicions that both rotors are equally low on compression. That's not an accident.

And also also, at 30psi (or 15 or 25) you should have extreme difficulty starting the car or maintaining idle. Is that the case?

Last edited by Loki; 06-28-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no technical advice but I just came here to say ignore the haters lol. I used to make custom LED lighting for a living so I love custom lights lol.
The following users liked this post:
bart_lorusso (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
bad rebuild is my guess.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:15 AM
You gonna eat that?

It would be helpful if you let us know who rebuilt it.
When the cat was gutted, was it broken up?
If pieces of the strata broke up, they could get lodged in the exhaust and affect it like a clogged cat.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM
What am I doing here?

Also, how much did you pay for the rebuild?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Loki
If your cat has been gutted since the rebuild, I would be more concerned about the quality of the engine rebuild. Gutted cat can't clog and can't really kill the engine. And misfires from poor ignition are bad, but they don't do anything to the apex seal. Those things aren't connected.

So. Who did the rebuild, what parts did they reuse and how was it broken in?
I'm especially suspicions that both rotors are equally low on compression. That's not an accident.

And also also, at 30psi (or 15 or 25) you should have extreme difficulty starting the car or maintaining idle. Is that the case?
At first it would start up pretty easily but not idle.. After I took apart SSV and replaced solenoids and checked for leaks in the intake it sat and idle'd on its own for about 5 minutes, took it for a drive, parked it and it has not started since. That's when I got compression test done. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt right before I bought it (sounds sketchy I know). I'm DM'ing him right now to see if he has any knowledge on the rebuild.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Registered

BTW the car has 120k on it. I bought it at around 95k when the engine was rebuilt
Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM
What am I doing here?

25k sounds about right for a bare minimum rebuild, tolerances be damned.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Registered

That's what I'm thinking.... it might have been a crappy rebuild that only lasted 25k.

The biggest concern was misfires relating to compression loss