Notices

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires anyone?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 AM
  #26  
40th anniversary Edition
 
gwilliams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 2,776
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
gwilliams6 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 AM
  #27  
40th anniversary Edition
 
gwilliams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 2,776
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

New Conti DWS-06 top rated for Ultra-Performance All-Season tires
gwilliams6 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  #28  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwilliams6 View Post
New Conti DWS-06 top rated for Ultra-Performance All-Season tires
The last dws had such fragile sidewalls that I replaced two in a year and had to have a wheel straightened from typical small town potholes. The same potholes didn't phase bridgestone potenzas or Dunlop sportmaxx on the same car in the same size. When they have been out for a year or two and people don't complain about sidewalls made of tissue paper, I will buy some.
YoursTruly is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM
  #29  
Registered
 
djgiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol do you work for continental? You keep linking the CONSUMER ratings which are completely subjective.
djgiron is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  #30  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
You say "subjective" like it means "invalid." Why's that?

I'm no fan of the Contis, or Tire Rack's consumer ratings, but let's not get testy. We're all friends here!
IamFodi is online now  
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
  #31  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IamFodi View Post
I'm no fan of the Contis, or Tire Rack's consumer ratings, but let's not get testy. We're all friends here!
Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't blast him for the bad experiences I had. Heck, I might try the conti dw next since autoxer's I know swear by it as both a daily tire and wet/intermediate autocross tire.
YoursTruly is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:15 PM
  #32  
Registered
 
djgiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I said that because he posted the same links in another tire thread, there is an actual comparison with those tires (not consumer reviews) that has the second to the Conti's. Michelin's are better overall grip and in dry and wet, but suck in the snow. If you are going to be in snow, the Conti's are the way to go, if not the AS3's are (basic summary from tire rack)
djgiron is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:42 PM
  #33  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by djgiron View Post
I said that because he posted the same links in another tire thread, there is an actual comparison with those tires (not consumer reviews) that has the second to the Conti's. Michelin's are better overall grip and in dry and wet, but suck in the snow. If you are going to be in snow, the Conti's are the way to go, if not the AS3's are (basic summary from tire rack)
Now we're talking.

See? No need to get personal. The facts speak for themselves. :]
IamFodi is online now  
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
  #34  
Registered
 
djgiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol, read my thread on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's to see why I posted what I did. I was honestly curious if he worked for Continental.
djgiron is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 PM
  #35  
2010 Rx-8R3, 1979 RX-7
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KS

replaced OEM tires with the Michelin PSS about a year ago on my R3. Fantastic. All aspects of these tires are an improvement over the OEM tires.
Most striking change I have to call smoothness. I can go at near full road speed over the bumpyest of railroad crossings wihtout any harshness at all, but still steering response, grip, amd trackiing are all still superb. Will buy another set when these wear out.
pjs_tools is offline  
Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 AM
  #36  
Registered
 
djgiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I almost went with summers, but I was caught in an evening snow storm after a 70deg day here last spring and it was down right scary getting home, so I went with all seasons. I need to find someone up here with dedicated Summer's to ride along and feel how much of a difference there is sometime.
djgiron is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
  #37  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Update!

I'm now at 16 months and 20k miles on my Pilot Super Sports. Bone stock R3, stock tire size (225/40/19), stock alignment.

The rears are ready to be replaced. Though the rear-left is worse off than the rear-right, likely because opportunities for oversteer are more available in some kinds of corners than in others.

Fronts are still okay, though. Figuring I'd get around 30k on them if I kept them on the front axle.

Strongly suspect I'll be sticking with this tire. Current plan is to swap to my winter wheels soon and pick up another pair of Super Sports at my leisure before next spring.
IamFodi is online now  
Old 11-23-2015, 04:26 PM
  #38  
nowakm99
 
nowakm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Etobicoke, Canada
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another tire that you guys might want to try are the Hankook RS-3s. I loved the Michelins, but found a set of RS-3s (225/40/19) for under $600 all in (all in with shipping and taxes). I had these on the car for about three months before I sold my R3 and they were very impressive. At that price, I would go with RS-3s over the PSS, but suspect that I won't find that deal again.

I now have a different car that came with Goodyear F1 run flats. As soon as these are toast, I'll be going to the Michelin PSS as they were fantastic!
nowakm99 is offline  
Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM
  #39  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nowakm99 View Post
Another tire that you guys might want to try are the Hankook RS-3s. I loved the Michelins, but found a set of RS-3s (225/40/19) for under $600 all in (all in with shipping and taxes). I had these on the car for about three months before I sold my R3 and they were very impressive. At that price, I would go with RS-3s over the PSS, but suspect that I won't find that deal again.

I now have a different car that came with Goodyear F1 run flats. As soon as these are toast, I'll be going to the Michelin PSS as they were fantastic!
I use RS3's as the autocross tire on my Miata. They might be labeled the same, but RS3's are on a whole other level as far as grip. They sacrifice tread wear down to 200 and give up on wet performance because they are intended for competition where street legal tires are required. To prove my point, as soon as the SCCA bumped up the minimum tread wear rating for street tires from 140 to 200, hankook changed the compound to suit the new rules.

Even though they are cheaper than the Michelin PSS, I would not recommend daily driving them unless you are okay with those compromises. The Continental DW is the best competitor for the PSS at a lower price. (Note that I did not say continental dws.)
YoursTruly is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM
  #40  
pcs
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're in an area where you don't get much (if any) rain, RS3s would be an option, but agree with YoursTruly - they won't last anywhere close to as long as the PSS.

Another option to look at could be the Bridgestone RE71R - pretty competitive on the pricing, and reviews look stellar. I'll be giving them a shot when my PSS die...
pcs is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 01:14 PM
  #41  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
Another option to look at could be the Bridgestone RE71R - pretty competitive on the pricing, and reviews look stellar. I'll be giving them a shot when my PSS die...
Have you heard or read anything about how the RE71R is at low tread depth?

What about weight? The PSS is a pretty light tire, and Bridgestones tend to be heavier.
IamFodi is online now  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 376
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pressure are you guys keeping in the R3 rims with PSS?

Sticker says 32, but that seems low to me for 19s. (The installer deflated my tires from 42...based on that sticker)

Max on the 92Y 255/35/19 is 51psi (BMW)

So I hit them with 45psi. I found 32 almost spongy and holding the car back.


Anyone got any advice for the 19s? I found some for the 17s and 18s, but I haven't seen anyone mention the r3 rims. (they are lighter, plus I have overhang....)



On the stock size I ran some offbrand the buy-n-large dealer put on new for the car. 225/40/19 "Mr 500!" and ran the backs at 42, and fronts closer to 48. I wore the backs out on the inside down to the wire, while the fronts where still 6/16. (Almost new) About 10k on that set.

I kept the 225/40/19s (MR 500), and changed the back to PSS 255/35/19 92Y on the stock R3 rims. The car grips so hard that I have to mod my brain to tell it to go harder.

Tirerack is what suggested the 225 + 255 idea, which is interesting because their safety thing tells you not to mix sizes up. (It claims it is a stock size option on the R3)

Last edited by badinfluence; 03-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.
badinfluence is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:48 PM
  #43  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
I prefer how the car feels with 35 PSI vs. 32 PSI, but I did get slightly uneven wear on my last set with 35. Trying to decide what to do with my current set.
IamFodi is online now  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:51 PM
  #44  
Registered
iTrader: (46)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,740
Received 338 Likes on 273 Posts
LOL, you can feel 3psi?
9krpmrx8 is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:53 PM
  #45  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not going to say it was a night-and-day difference, but yeah.
IamFodi is online now  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 376
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IamFodi View Post
Have you heard or read anything about how the RE71R is at low tread depth?

What about weight? The PSS is a pretty light tire, and Bridgestones tend to be heavier.
On my Mazdaspeed3 I had RE11s and they were a godsend for wheelhop. I tuned it myself and cranked it up to 350lb/ft at the crank and 1st and 2nd are terrible in the 1st Gen for wheel hopping. Then I added that 100 found pounds and switched to 3port boost!I had to dial it down based on my heavy foot, but the tires took that car to a new level. Even with worn back springs it was amazing.

I kept the tires and swapped junk in when I traded the car. Mine where the 18 inch size 215/45/18, but if they fit my R3 rims I would have thrown them off despite having new offbrand tires. They aren't great in the wet, but if your a driver you aren't afraid of that and know how to handle oversteer in RWD. (FWD understeer/Over with them was FUN!)

For my R3 I am rocking those PSS, but I can't say I am confident on the tire pressure yet. They act different than my offbrands, so I can't say I know them very well. The change is size through, that was a definite recommend. 245/35 or 255/35 might be worth it for whatever you go with (if you already haven't)
badinfluence is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
  #47  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
The problem with the PSS is the sidewall. I think it's because of that "variable contact patch" thing. Grip for days, but slightly dull response and feel vs. competitors.
IamFodi is online now  
Old 03-22-2016, 03:39 AM
  #48  
nowakm99
 
nowakm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Etobicoke, Canada
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badinfluence View Post
What pressure are you guys keeping in the R3 rims with PSS?

Sticker says 32, but that seems low to me for 19s. (The installer deflated my tires from 42...based on that sticker)

Max on the 92Y 255/35/19 is 51psi (BMW)

So I hit them with 45psi. I found 32 almost spongy and holding the car back.


Anyone got any advice for the 19s? I found some for the 17s and 18s, but I haven't seen anyone mention the r3 rims. (they are lighter, plus I have overhang....)



On the stock size I ran some offbrand the buy-n-large dealer put on new for the car. 225/40/19 "Mr 500!" and ran the backs at 42, and fronts closer to 48. I wore the backs out on the inside down to the wire, while the fronts where still 6/16. (Almost new) About 10k on that set.

I kept the 225/40/19s (MR 500), and changed the back to PSS 255/35/19 92Y on the stock R3 rims. The car grips so hard that I have to mod my brain to tell it to go harder.

Tirerack is what suggested the 225 + 255 idea, which is interesting because their safety thing tells you not to mix sizes up. (It claims it is a stock size option on the R3)


Remember that to maximize grip, you generally want the tires as low as possible without having the sidewalls rolling over. As you increase pressure, you will begin to lose grip quite quickly.


I generally run them at 32-34 PSI on the street and 38-39 hot on track. To get them to 38-39 hot on track, I usually drop the pressures to 30-31 psi cold.


I hope that helps.
nowakm99 is offline  
Old 03-22-2016, 02:58 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 376
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nowakm99 View Post
Remember that to maximize grip, you generally want the tires as low as possible without having the sidewalls rolling over. As you increase pressure, you will begin to lose grip quite quickly.


I generally run them at 32-34 PSI on the street and 38-39 hot on track. To get them to 38-39 hot on track, I usually drop the pressures to 30-31 psi cold.


I hope that helps.

I am going to be honest, I am thrashing it at least 150% harder with the 50psi and I can't get it to step out. It actually is a bit of a bummer....lol. I dropped to 38PSI all the way around, but 32 is just sluggesh to me. 35 was improved, but I think 38 just is about right. I didn't see much of a change from 50-45-40-38 really, which is a little strange.

I am doing rough road twistes where I should be sideways, but they just gripgripgrip all the way to 60 where I puss out. (used to be doing them at 40). There is loose gravel so it isn't worth dying over.

They felt boggy anything under 35 for some reason.... Am I insane for thinking that?
badinfluence is offline  
Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 PM
  #50  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 790
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by badinfluence View Post
I am going to be honest, I am thrashing it at least 150% harder with the 50psi and I can't get it to step out. It actually is a bit of a bummer....lol. I dropped to 38PSI all the way around, but 32 is just sluggesh to me. 35 was improved, but I think 38 just is about right. I didn't see much of a change from 50-45-40-38 really, which is a little strange.
How was the wear pattern? Mine wore out their centers at 35 PSI.


Originally Posted by badinfluence View Post
They felt boggy anything under 35 for some reason.... Am I insane for thinking that?
I don't think so...
IamFodi is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires anyone?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.