Notices
Series I Trouble Shooting This is the place to learn more about or discuss any issues you're having with your RX-8

STEERING FAILURE , won't believe this one

Old 03-23-2005, 10:54 PM
  #26  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This kind of problem actually scares the hell out of me.. but for good reason..

Several years ago, around 1990ish , I had a Toyota Corrola-Tercel (don't remember year but they made an odd hybrid, that is the actual name). I was driving home one night with a friend in the car, we came over a hill and at the bottom I turned the wheel left to go around a small curve.. the car kept going straight!! My friend started yelling at me to turn.. then looked over and saw me turning the wheel like crazy but the car didn't move... end of the story is we hit a tree, all were ok though since we weren't going that fast.

The mechanics that looked at it found that there was something they called a "Steering Pin" that was gone... supposidly this pin is enclosed in such a way that it's impossible for it to break/fall out.. and that someone had to remove it on purpose (oddly enough it was just in service to the same mechanic the week before). This pin held the drive wheel to the axel or so I'm told... and without it, seering is impossible. Thankfully it was ruled mechanical failure and insurance covered it without problem.

I don't know if the Mazda or even if cars today have such a Pin.. but perhaps if it does, yours might be loose.. at the time your mother drove it, the pin was partially popped out, and since has resettled?

Either way I'm usually pretty lax about some problems with cars, but steering is one thing I never take a chance on.

I'm sure the mechanics know what they are talking about.. but perhaps call another Mazda dealer, talk to thier mechanic over the phone and see if they also say it's impossible... maybe mom was a bit mistaken in that the wheels weren't moving?
DaGnome is offline  
Old 03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
  #27  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,050
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do that on carnival rides...much less chance for carnage there...

This set up has a internal splined shaft that joins to external splines that have to mate correctly, held in place with a bolt and nut with loctite.

I would hope these things would not come apart then rejoin so the Mother could drive the car to the dealership.(where I would hope they could see the nut or the bolt missing)

I don't know what happened here but I would love to find out.
snap-on is offline  
Old 03-24-2005, 01:05 AM
  #28  
Banned
 
Lock & Load's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 3,535
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a possible scenario , if the battery had been disconnected incorrectly at any stage its changed the steering positioning sensors to the incorrect settings causing the malfunction .
They have to be reset otherwise it can cause steering failure.

( I also have been reading my rx8 workshop manual )

cheers
michael
Lock & Load is offline  
Old 03-24-2005, 01:14 AM
  #29  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,050
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But the wheels would still turn manually..

I don't have the manual here so I have to ask you to look at the manual to see how the column is connected to the rack...
snap-on is offline  
Old 03-24-2005, 09:48 AM
  #30  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to say thank you all for the input. The Mazda service bullitens are a huge help, my how things change when you walk in armed with information. My mother just got back from the dealer and they are basically giving her 2004 all the updates, from a new battery to fuel injectors, now that she mentioned she also noticed an engine miss and stalling once in a while things she just dealt with or thought were her fault. As for the steering, Mazda now claims it is possible that she did experience what she says happened. Something to do with the power, the magnetic field ,and also steering wheel alignment , they are checking the rack and steering column also , the computer does register the incident , not sure of exact error codes. All I can say is stay friendly with your dealer service manager and tech and also call the Mazda hotline too complain , not about your service tech but the engineers who give service tech's their information.Read those service bulllitens.The The Dealer can only do something if the customer complains with some force,stay firm in your psoition do not let them talk you out of it or convince you it didn't happen, its redtape. After a few hours of disputting Mazda's claims and some research on this great website, the car is getting worked on . We are crossing our fingers.
RSCHLITZ is offline  
Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM
  #31  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having a hard time understanding how the steering wheel could be turned and not turn the wheels, despite power assistance. We aren't talking about drive by wire or something...there is a very substantial physical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack, right?
Maolin34 is offline  
Old 03-24-2005, 05:25 PM
  #32  
Shifty Bastard.
 
Gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 4,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maolin34
I am having a hard time understanding how the steering wheel could be turned and not turn the wheels, despite power assistance. We aren't talking about drive by wire or something...there is a very substantial physical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack, right?
Correct. The front wheels are physically connected to the steering wheel. What the thread starters Mum said happened, didn't happen. She is simply mistaken.

The dealer is doing the right thing by accepting that the customer is always right, listening to her concerns, and doing a full functional check to find out what bought on the light. Whatever light it was. I still don't know if this car has DSC. If a fault light came on, a fault will be stored and they will find it. But whatever happened, it didn't involve a complete loss of steering control as Mum has claimed. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying it can't happen and then come good again.

Gomez.
Gomez is offline  
Old 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM
  #33  
That krayzie Mexican
 
SikRedRX-8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 319
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda was right when they said it to be impossible, cause there is no way what she said happend, actually happend. Good job on mazda helping her feel better about the situation.
SikRedRX-8 is offline  
Old 04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
  #34  
Shifty Bastard.
 
Gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 4,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSCHLITZ
Just want to say thank you all for the input. The Mazda service bullitens are a huge help, my how things change when you walk in armed with information. My mother just got back from the dealer and they are basically giving her 2004 all the updates, from a new battery to fuel injectors, now that she mentioned she also noticed an engine miss and stalling once in a while things she just dealt with or thought were her fault. As for the steering, Mazda now claims it is possible that she did experience what she says happened. Something to do with the power, the magnetic field ,and also steering wheel alignment , they are checking the rack and steering column also , the computer does register the incident , not sure of exact error codes. All I can say is stay friendly with your dealer service manager and tech and also call the Mazda hotline too complain , not about your service tech but the engineers who give service tech's their information.Read those service bulllitens.The The Dealer can only do something if the customer complains with some force,stay firm in your psoition do not let them talk you out of it or convince you it didn't happen, its redtape. After a few hours of disputting Mazda's claims and some research on this great website, the car is getting worked on . We are crossing our fingers.
As there are no TSB's relating to steering, seems as if the dealer has responded to all the whining/calls to the Mazda hotline/thumps on the service counter and agreed to change the battery etc to placate this customer. Kudos to the dealer involved.

I'm not surprised we haven't heard back from this guy or his Mum after two weeks....there was no steering disconnect problem to start with.

Last edited by Gomez; 04-08-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Gomez is offline  
Old 04-08-2005, 03:02 PM
  #35  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhere in the RX8 owners manual is a section on resyncing the elect. steering. Might be your problem
airboss is offline  
Old 04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
  #36  
Registered
 
Go48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fayetteville, PA
Posts: 2,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airboss
Somewhere in the RX8 owners manual is a section on resyncing the elect. steering. Might be your problem
I think you're referring to the DSC calibration required after disconnecting battery power, which has nothing to do with steering other than you use the steering to do the calibration.
Go48 is offline  
Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 AM
  #37  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Turning- try going back to the same spot

Originally Posted by RSCHLITZ
Yes it was parked in a gravel parking lot, started in a parked position when she tried to move out of parking spot she notcied that the car was not turning.
As soon as you mentioned gravel, you may possibly have answered the question. On tarmac or concrete you`ll get a normal feel at what we call "static steer" where if the car is not moving and you turn the wheel, the resistance is fairly high. Thats because the power steering is trying to get the tires to go around their "scrub radius" which takes some oomph when the car isn`t moving. On gravel, its a whole different ball game. Gravel acts like a bunch or marbles under the tries and all the scrub radius resistance disappears making the steering feel much lighter like steering on ice. Try this out so see how much difference it makes.

Otherwise, if you remain convinced that there was a real mechanical failure in the steering upper system you need to do two things. First, get the local area service manager involved. Second, have an independant professional engineer thoroughly review the module that your dealer replaced - because thats the only "smoking gun" you`ll ever find in this instance.

Best of luck - let me know how the gravel test goes.

Tom
TCReedy1 is offline  
Old 04-09-2005, 09:30 AM
  #38  
EX-Member
 
slllygrl10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,286
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man this is scary.
slllygrl10 is offline  
Old 04-09-2005, 01:13 PM
  #39  
Shifty Bastard.
 
Gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 4,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slllygrl10
Man this is scary.
No it's not, as the kid said when he named this thread......."You won't believe this one."

Guess what, I don't .
Gomez is offline  
Old 05-06-2006, 03:07 PM
  #40  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok maybe this is very old post but my car does same thing in the morning almost twice in a week, the steering wheel will turn like its being controlled by yoda and with no wheel movement. then after the car is warmed up the eps will be fine and i dont get any cel for that. car is fine evern at very very high speeds and have been driving with this ghostly problem for 5000 miles so....i don know guys....never felt complaining about it ....
snkpkp is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 08:25 AM
  #41  
Hermitage Holdout
 
VOODOO8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Greenfield, NH
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snkpkp
ok maybe this is very old post but my car does same thing in the morning almost twice in a week, the steering wheel will turn like its being controlled by yoda and with no wheel movement. then after the car is warmed up the eps will be fine and i dont get any cel for that. car is fine evern at very very high speeds and have been driving with this ghostly problem for 5000 miles so....i don know guys....never felt complaining about it ....
Might as well play to the other thread your running on this topic instead of pulling this one back from the dead:
https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-trouble-shooting-95/ghost-eps-89238/
VOODOO8 is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
  #42  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 3,753
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please, somebody kill this really rediculous (in age and content) thread...
r0tor is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Carbon8
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
41
04-04-2016 04:05 PM
garethleeds
Europe For Sale/Wanted
6
11-19-2015 06:32 AM
Evan Gray
Series I Trouble Shooting
0
09-26-2015 12:30 PM
Wurromurro
New Member Forum
0
09-20-2015 05:02 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: STEERING FAILURE , won't believe this one


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.