Restore the plastic around tailpipe - Page 2 - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > RX-8 Competition > RX-8 Show and Shine
Reload this Page >

Restore the plastic around tailpipe

Notices
RX-8 Show and Shine Discussion of car care products and techniques

Restore the plastic around tailpipe

Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 AM
  #26  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Nopstnz8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics? I'm planning to do this to the wiper cowl on my mom's Honda.
Nopstnz8 is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
  #27  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really have a good pic. I didn't take any when I painted it. I'll see what I can muster up...






And this was just after the snow/sand so the black doesn't match b.c. It was just rinsed off not bathed..

Lord ET is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
  #28  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Nopstnz8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh nice. What kind of primer and paint did you use? How's it holding up so far?
Nopstnz8 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
  #29  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seekonk,MA
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i couldnt help but notice ur stig decal!?!?!!!!!!! i want one!
rx cruzzer is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
  #30  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ krylon bonds to plastic, so no need for primer. Just clean the surface really well.

stig sticker from amazon.
Lord ET is offline  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM
  #31  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Nopstnz8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how are the shrouds holding up? I painted the wiper cowl on my brother's 8th gen Civic a few months back, and it turned out great, and held up pretty well. I wondering about the exhaust shrouds though because a lot of heat is generated around them. I replaced mine probably 4k miles ago, and I park my car inside, so it doesn't sit baking in the sun for hours. Anyways, my only conclusion to why my shrouds have already began to slightly fade is due to the heat from my Borla exhaust. Based on that, I'm just wondering if paint will exhibit the same effects, potentially even melting? I can't see melting being an issue though.
Nopstnz8 is offline  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
  #32  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nopstnz8 View Post
So how are the shrouds holding up? I painted the wiper cowl on my brother's 8th gen Civic a few months back, and it turned out great, and held up pretty well. I wondering about the exhaust shrouds though because a lot of heat is generated around them. I replaced mine probably 4k miles ago, and I park my car inside, so it doesn't sit baking in the sun for hours. Anyways, my only conclusion to why my shrouds have already began to slightly fade is due to the heat from my Borla exhaust. Based on that, I'm just wondering if paint will exhibit the same effects, potentially even melting? I can't see melting being an issue though.
I have the RB exhaust and my paint job on the shrouds/rear black plastic still looks as good as the day I did it. I park in my garage at night, but it sits in the sun at work. No melting from the heat either.
Lord ET is offline  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
  #33  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Nopstnz8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord ET View Post
I have the RB exhaust and my paint job on the shrouds/rear black plastic still looks as good as the day I did it. I park in my garage at night, but it sits in the sun at work. No melting from the heat either.
Great to know. Thanks.

BTW, did you only paint the shrouds, or did you paint the center piece too? If you only did the shrouds, how close is the match in person?
Nopstnz8 is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
  #34  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nopstnz8 View Post
Great to know. Thanks.

BTW, did you only paint the shrouds, or did you paint the center piece too? If you only did the shrouds, how close is the match in person?
I painted all of it because it was all a little faded.
Lord ET is offline  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 PM
  #35  
Living is best Modified.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N8theGr8 View Post
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will remove wax that dries onto plastic parts of your car. If they're really faded from abuse you could always pick up new ones as a last resort. Exhaust shrouds are $35 a piece usually, and very easy to replace.
Ill try the magic eraser, i just bought it - for 2 bucks. not bad if it removes the wax- which is what just gets covered up with back to black.

Edit: The Magic eraser seemed to have taken the wax off from the wiper arm. Driver's Side. I applied the tire shine (Gel) to the other side.

I don't have mother's back to black handily available. Honestly, I got the same results between Mothers Back to Black and Meguiars Tire Gel in my non-scientifically experiements. I'm sure most of us would rather get rid of the white wax that keeps reappearing on black trim. But hey, if you want to keep using Back to Black to cover up the white spots - it's your money

Last edited by RogueTadhg; 08-14-2011 at 07:38 AM.
RogueTadhg is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
  #36  
Rotard
iTrader: (1)
 
flyinglizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: under my car
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Turtle Wax F21 protectant on all my black trim after every time I wash my car. My original shrouds are still nice and shiny black on my '05.
flyinglizard is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
  #37  
Registered
 
brilliantblackrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. I will take before and after pics when I get it on in a week. My shrouds look horrible, so it should be a good experiment.

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html
brilliantblackrx8 is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #38  
running on double cream!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pro's on Autopia use Black WOW. I've used it and its by far THE best product for re-conditioning black plastic.
rickeo is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  #39  
The Don
iTrader: (1)
 
don_peppino24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what i did while my 8 was in storage was clean all the black trim thoroughly, and i just layed on the back to black by rubbing it into the plastic, then i sprayed the mguiars hot shine (aerosol) and let it sit for about a week, rub it in and respray it until i finished the can

i did every single piece of plastic like this. after a wash it looks brand spanking new.

or
don_peppino24 is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
  #40  
running on double cream!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don_peppino24 View Post
what i did while my 8 was in storage was clean all the black trim thoroughly, and i just layed on the back to black by rubbing it into the plastic, then i sprayed the mguiars hot shine (aerosol) and let it sit for about a week, rub it in and respray it until i finished the can

i did every single piece of plastic like this. after a wash it looks brand spanking new.
Or a single application of Black WOW... lol
rickeo is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
  #41  
The Don
iTrader: (1)
 
don_peppino24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickeo View Post
Or a single application of Black WOW... lol
i have problems though with being very picky, i polished my car when in storage until there wasnt even a hairline scratch and then put 2 coats of paint sealant, and 4 coats of 46% carnauba wax on ALL paint and glass. 3 coats of leather conditioner, shampoo and scotch guard all fabric interior, all plastic/rubber shined (except interior)
don_peppino24 is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
  #42  
running on double cream!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don_peppino24 View Post
i have problems though with being very picky, i polished my car when in storage until there wasnt even a hairline scratch and then put 2 coats of paint sealant, and 4 coats of 46% carnauba wax on ALL paint and glass. 3 coats of leather conditioner, shampoo and scotch guard all fabric interior, all plastic/rubber shined (except interior)
So you're into car car. Well the guys on Autopia are THE professionals in detailing.. just check out the Click and Brag section.

The product of choice there is Black Wow.. Believe me, its worth it.
rickeo is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
  #43  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or a couple coats of black satin spray paint..
Lord ET is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 AM
  #44  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Nopstnz8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lord et View Post
or a couple coats of black satin spray paint..
+1
Nopstnz8 is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
  #45  
Registered
 
brilliantblackrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord ET View Post
or a couple coats of black satin spray paint..
I'm not very impressed with the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard on my shouds. Going the Krylon route. Lord ET, what grade of sand paper did you use after the 3 light coats?
brilliantblackrx8 is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM
  #46  
The Don
iTrader: (1)
 
don_peppino24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just thought of this now, has anyone tried plastidip on the plastic? i wonder how it looks. post pics if you did this
don_peppino24 is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
  #47  
Renesis out... REW in
iTrader: (3)
 
firecran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by don_peppino24 View Post
just thought of this now, has anyone tried plastidip on the plastic? i wonder how it looks. post pics if you did this

Ive done it! Works great

Going on 6 months now and still looks great.

I'll get some pics up soon
firecran is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
  #48  
Is that a bike rack?
iTrader: (1)
 
Lord ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brilliantblackrx8 View Post
I'm not very impressed with the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard on my shouds. Going the Krylon route. Lord ET, what grade of sand paper did you use after the 3 light coats?
pretty high. 1500 or 2000. Then just do a very light coat over the top of that.
Lord ET is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
  #49  
Registered
 
brilliantblackrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Krylon worked out very well.
brilliantblackrx8 is offline  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
  #50  
The Don
iTrader: (1)
 
don_peppino24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firecran View Post
Ive done it! Works great

Going on 6 months now and still looks great.

I'll get some pics up soon
looking foreward to those pics bud.
don_peppino24 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Restore the plastic around tailpipe


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.