Notices
RX-8 Racing Want to discuss autocrossing, road-racing and drag racing the RX-8? Bring it here. This is NOT a kills/street racing forum.

any feedback on Mazdatrix 5.5" race clutch?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 PM
  #26  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smyczek View Post

I'm glad you got it worked out. Where do you race? I'll be at VIR in April then again in the fall for the Runoffs.
too bad you dont race with NASA. i primarily race with NASA and go to VIR at least twice year. I mostly run in northeast tracks.
trackjunkie is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 PM
  #27  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watkins Glen is on my bucket list
Smyczek is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 PM
  #28  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Glen is an awesome track. scare the **** out of me but i love it. check out PittRace also, I think i like that more than Glen now.
trackjunkie is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM
  #29  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
so after getting the car back together, i start the car up and let it warm up. then it push the clutch down to get it in gear and the car would lurch forward and doesnt want to go in gear, i tried several times in different gear and its the same. i even put the car in gear and try to start it in gear with clutch down and the car would lurch forward. so the clutch is definitely dragging. i couldn't figure out why. then i tired something else. with the engine running, i put slight pressure on the shifter to put in gear, then press down the clutch slowly till it slide into gear. boom. that's when i realize that the over travel of the pedal cause the clutch to drag. the clutch has a very narrow window of disengagement, anything over that would cause it to reengage. i had already made a pedal stop but i didnt have it turned out far enough. i end up having to turn the pedal stop out so far, for the perfect clutch release, that the clutch pedal wouldnt engage the low switch to start the engine. i had to add a half inch spacer just so the pedal could engage the low switch to start the engine. i probably took about half of my clutch travel out. which is great, less clutch pedal travel

the clutch grabs like crazy, but can still slip if you try, doesnt chatter much. there's no engine momentum at all when taking off from stop. rpm drop so quick between shift. and if you take it out of gear coming to stop, rpm drop so quick then engine stalls out. gotta keep it in gear till rpm drop low enough then take it out of gear.

Last edited by trackjunkie; 02-11-2019 at 08:08 PM.
trackjunkie is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
  #30  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trackjunkie View Post
so after getting the car back together, i start the car up and let it warm up. then it push the clutch down to get it in gear and the car would lurch forward and doesnt want to go in gear, i tried several times in different gear and its the same. i even put the car in gear and try to start it in gear with clutch down and the car would lurch forward. so the clutch is definitely dragging. i couldn't figure out why. then i tired something else, with the engine running. i put slight pressure on the shifter to put in gear, then press down the clutch slowly till it slide into gear. boom. that's why i realize that the over travel of the pedal cause the clutch to drag. the clutch has a very narrow window of disengagement, anything over that would cause it to reengage. i had already made a pedal stop but i didnt have it turned out far enough. i end up having to turn the pedal stop out so far, for the perfect clutch release, that the clutch pedal couldnt engage the low switch to start the engine. i had to add a half inch spacer just so the pedal could engage the low switch to start the engine. i probably took about half of my clutch travel out. which is great.

the clutch grabs like crazy, but can still slip if you try, doesnt chatter much. there's no engine momentum at all when taking off from stop. rpm drop so quick between shift. and if you it it out of gear coming to stop, rpm drop so quick it stalls out. gotta keep it in gear till rpm drop low enough then take it out of gear.
Yeah, they have a very narrow window of adjustment that is acceptable - about 1/4" actually. You have to be careful, because if you overstroke the pressure plate it will mess it up. Follow the instructions carefully.

That is a separate problem from clutch drag, however. If the pedal isn't adjusted right and you have too much travel, you will actually re-engage the clutch, which is what it sounds like happened for you this time.
Tamra is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
  #31  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah definitely wasn't clutch drag but clutch re-engagement. I haven't driven the car hard and shift at redline yet. Still taking it easy to break in the new 5.1 FD and osg diff.

Last edited by trackjunkie; 02-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.
trackjunkie is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM
  #32  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fast Rev

I had mentioned that the aluminum flywheel and 5.5" clutch revs super fast. I found one of my blooper videos where the lighting was just right so you can see my feet and the throttle blips.

I figure its worth showing

Smyczek is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 PM
  #33  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
nice, yeah i'm pretty decent with heel/toe but i dont think the throttle by wire react as fast as cable throttle when it comes to a quick throttle blip.
trackjunkie is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:38 PM
  #34  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: ATL Shawty
Posts: 15
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackjunkie View Post
nice, yeah i'm pretty decent with heel/toe but i dont think the throttle by wire react as fast as cable throttle when it comes to a quick throttle blip.
Is there any truth to this or is it just how you feel about it?
Stefan Wolf is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM
  #35  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
trackjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 291
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
i had my first track event last weekend with the new clutch setup. the clutch felt amazing on track. shift was lightning quick and effortless. can feel the synchro doesnt have to work very hard, with the low inertia of the small disks. also probably because the rpm drop so fast that synchro doesnt have to do much to match the speed of the disk to the engine. getting the car moving from a stop is a pain. have to rev it up pretty high and ease off the clutch or it will stall. idle is also not very stable sometimes. i did drive it on the street for about 300 miles to break in the clutch and and final drive. definitely not DD friendly. getting on the trailer is not as bad as i thought. i pull the car up the ramp to line it up. then back up about 5 feet and get a running start up the ramp. didn't have to slip the clutch much. if you're car is primarily a track car, i would highly recommend this setup. it would probably make the tranny last longer also.

my tranny was grinding going into 5th at the last event last year. and i never had to use 6th on track. with the new clutch setup, i can bang into 5th without any issues. and getting into 6th is a breeze also, which i have to do a lot now with the 5.1 FD.

here's a short vid from last weekend.

trackjunkie is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 PM
  #36  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: ATL Shawty
Posts: 15
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GA

Originally Posted by trackjunkie View Post
i had my first track event last weekend with the new clutch setup. the clutch felt amazing on track. shift was lightning quick and effortless. can feel the synchro doesnt have to work very hard, with the low inertia of the small disks. also probably because the rpm drop so fast that synchro doesnt have to do much to match the speed of the disk to the engine. getting the car moving from a stop is a pain. have to rev it up pretty high and ease off the clutch or it will stall. idle is also not very stable sometimes. i did drive it on the street for about 300 miles to break in the clutch and and final drive. definitely not DD friendly. getting on the trailer is not as bad as i thought. i pull the car up the ramp to line it up. then back up about 5 feet and get a running start up the ramp. didn't have to slip the clutch much. if you're car is primarily a track car, i would highly recommend this setup. it would probably make the tranny last longer also.

my tranny was grinding going into 5th at the last event last year. and i never had to use 6th on track. with the new clutch setup, i can bang into 5th without any issues. and getting into 6th is a breeze also, which i have to do a lot now with the 5.1 FD.

here's a short vid from last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-22uHZntPU
Nice driving man, I can see what you mean. I'm going to have to pick your brain when I start my "24 Hours of Lemon Racing" thread in here when my Noob 30 days are up so I can start a thread. Your temp looks pretty solid.
Stefan Wolf is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hufflepuff
RX-8 Racing
2
10-31-2017 12:06 PM
HiFlite999
RX-8 Media News
14
03-01-2013 08:49 PM
oyhcome
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
2
03-19-2009 04:13 PM
flipRx8
RX-8 Show and Shine
1
09-06-2008 08:37 AM
DOMINION
Good Guy/Bad Guy
0
06-10-2008 04:50 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: any feedback on Mazdatrix 5.5" race clutch?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.