Notices
RX-8 Discussion General discussion about the RX-8 that doesn't fit in one of the specialty forums.

Top Tier (Gasoline) Brands

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Tier (Gasoline) Brands

I ran across this recently: http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

It's a auto-industry supported standard for gasoline that is claimed to be significantly higher than that required by EPA, most particularly wrt detergent additives. Will such gas reduce carbon problems in rotaries? I haven't a clue, but maybe. It's an aspect to fueling quite independent of the endless premium/mid-grade/regular debates.

Discussion?
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
jasonrxeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,487
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use BP. never missed a beat.
jasonrxeight is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
  #3  
Ricer
iTrader: (1)
 
usafrotard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spokane, WA/ Osan ab, Korea
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who ever has no ethanol is where I go.
usafrotard is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
xexok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The list of gas stations that do this is almost a full list of all major brands, and that sites FAQ says "2010" so it has been around for at least a few years. I have been buying my gas at rebel since I bought the car, and they are listed.

Its almost impossible to find ethanol free gas. There are probably more places but if you check http://pure-gas.org/ it only lists a single station in my whole city here. That single place is a hole in the wall no brand gas station that I would not buy gas from unless it was the last station around here. Not sure if its the same in other places but here it says "All gas stations in Clark County are ethanol-free from March to September, E10 the rest of the year." I had no idea about that.

Last edited by xexok; 01-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
xexok is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM
  #5  
Dudemanbro
iTrader: (2)
 
Jake33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BP and shell v-power 93 for me
Jake33 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
  #6  
Registered
iTrader: (46)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,744
Received 347 Likes on 279 Posts
It's been discussed at length in the ethanol thread. MM was even having his gas tested. I found that in San Antonio it is impossible to find Ethanol free gas and I also found that a lot of the "facts" about this stuff found on the internet are BS.

It the same as the BS rumors that HEB (large supermarket chain here but fill in your own chains name), Walmart, etc. use cheap gas or gas that is left over. It's BS, they typically buy the same gas you get at an Exxon station or other independent stations. There are usually local distributors that deliver to most of the stations.
9krpmrx8 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM
  #7  
Koi no Ousama
iTrader: (25)
 
TeamRX8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 21,047
Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by usafrotard View Post
Who ever has no ethanol is where I go.

Yeah, we ever landed on the moon, there was no Jewish Holocaust, and Dick Cheney was the real mastermind behind 9/11
TeamRX8 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  #8  
Ricer
iTrader: (1)
 
usafrotard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spokane, WA/ Osan ab, Korea
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeamRX8 View Post
Yeah, we ever landed on the moon, there was no Jewish Holocaust, and Dick Cheney was the real mastermind behind 9/11
There are places here with no ethanol.
usafrotard is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
  #9  
Registered
iTrader: (46)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,744
Received 347 Likes on 279 Posts
TX

Originally Posted by usafrotard View Post
There are places here with no ethanol.

So you think. Others have thought so as well and when they tested it they found out differently. How much ethanol is actually in it is a whole other issue as well.
9krpmrx8 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  #10  
Ricer
iTrader: (1)
 
usafrotard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spokane, WA/ Osan ab, Korea
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
So you think. Others have thought so as well and when they tested it they found out differently. How much ethanol is actually in it is a whole other issue as well.
Well maybe i should test the gas use.lol I do notice that when i get gas from the two places that advertise no ethanol i get better mileage and it "seems" to run better. Wether or not it's actually true or i'm just an idiot idk.lol
usafrotard is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
  #11  
Official Post Whore
iTrader: (2)
 
pdxhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 10,459
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Plenty of Ethanol here in Oregon. They (Oregon) even produce it for state. Unfortunately it something we are forced to accept.

Anyway, I use Chevron 99.9% of the time and use Shell as a backup.
pdxhak is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  #12  
Moderator Noir
iTrader: (4)
 
alnielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buddhist Monastery, High Himalaya Mtns. of Tibet
Posts: 12,257
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiFlite999 View Post
I ran across this recently: http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

It's a auto-industry supported standard for gasoline that is claimed to be significantly higher than that required by EPA, most particularly wrt detergent additives. Will such gas reduce carbon problems in rotaries? I haven't a clue, but maybe. It's an aspect to fueling quite independent of the endless premium/mid-grade/regular debates.

Discussion?
"Top Tier" gasoline is a marketing gimmick. You have to pay to allow to have your fuel tested and be listed to be a part of the group.
You will notice that BP is not on that list. Do you think their fuel is inferior to others listed their?
About every 2 years, someone posts something about Top Tier gasoline. A search will confirm it.
alnielsen is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
  #13  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
"Top Tier" gasoline is a marketing gimmick. You have to pay to allow to have your fuel tested and be listed to be a part of the group.
You will notice that BP is not on that list. Do you think their fuel is inferior to others listed their?
About every 2 years, someone posts something about Top Tier gasoline. A search will confirm it.
Local search confirms there are a lot of posts with the words top or tier in them. General search brings up some mainstream articles that seems to take top tier seriously, but not blindly: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...gas-usat_N.htm

In any case, it seems to be mostly about additives, not ethanol.

Apologies if the topic is a rerun - over the course of 8 years I'd suspect most everything is at this point.
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
  #14  
I HATE SPEEDBUMPS!
 
monchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 8,549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevron with techron...never misses a beat.
monchie is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
  #15  
Freely Radical
iTrader: (1)
 
RotoRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,906
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I have to contribute to this thread is that I get at least 300 miles to a tank when I use Shell gas, without exception.

For any other gas, I get anywhere from 270 to 285 miles per tank or so.

This is measured from the time of fill up (usually near 13.35 gallons on the nose) to the time the low fuel light barely comes on.

I know it's not significant in terms of a difference, but it's significant enough to notice, and I find it intriguing.

This is mid-grade (89 octane) by the way.

**For those who don't own 8s and think 300 miles per tank is terrible, it's not great, but it's not that bad, since the tank is relatively small at around 13.4 gallons to achieve a real world fill up from the time the low fuel light first comes on (so around 22mpg, and that's driven 'robustly,' I might add).
RotoRocket is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM
  #16  
BECAUSE RACECAR
iTrader: (10)
 
Arca_ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,413
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MazdaManiac went around and tested gas from all the major suppliers here and found that QuikTrip had the lowest ethanol percentages and was the most consistent. The only time I don't use QuikTrip now is if I'm using race gas.
Arca_ex is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 AM
  #17  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
User24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: cali
Posts: 770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it is a gimmick, but with some makes of cars the owner's manual recommends to use Top Tier.

Other than that, the list is helpful when driving across the country so you know what is decent. The TT standards are held across all states and octanes.

It is helpful to mix up brands as well. I try to throw in a Chevron now and then, even though usually I end up at a Shell.

Last edited by User24; 01-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
User24 is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
  #18  
Wally Moderator
 
ken-x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by User24 View Post
I don't know if it is a gimmick, but with some makes of cars the owner's manual recommends to use Top Tier...
This is just an opinion based on general distrust, but I suspect that the auto makers who recommend Top Tier are shortchanging something in their design, and are expecting the additives in Top Tier gas to make up for it.

Ken
ken-x8 is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM
  #19  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monchie View Post
Chevron with techron...never misses a beat.
When I had Audis, the idle would get rough every 10k miles or so. The only fuel additive I found which seemed to work was Techron. (Testimonials are not proof ... but that was my esperience).
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 AM
  #20  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
HiFlite999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 2,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotoRocket View Post
The only thing I have to contribute to this thread is that I get at least 300 miles to a tank when I use Shell gas, without exception.

For any other gas, I get anywhere from 270 to 285 miles per tank or so.

This is measured from the time of fill up (usually near 13.35 gallons on the nose) to the time the low fuel light barely comes on.

I know it's not significant in terms of a difference, but it's significant enough to notice, and I find it intriguing.
I've been using Shell this past summer after 'seeming' to notice a similar effect. I don't have an oft-repeated long-distance route any more for a reliable test though.

My mpg also tends toward the high side among RX-8's
HiFlite999 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM
  #21  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HiFlite999 View Post
When I had Audis, the idle would get rough every 10k miles or so. The only fuel additive I found which seemed to work was Techron. (Testimonials are not proof ... but that was my esperience).
I went to a Exxon Oil school, and they even said Techron was good.

I was using the Exxon gas I was selling, and I had to dump Techron additive in ever few years or so to get my F150 to idle smooth.

I've even come over to Texaco since they merged with chevron, and have the Techron, also.

Shell premium seemed to give good mileage to me, too.
40w8 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
  #22  
Im 8 drifting on a budget
 
juikster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Marble Falls Tx.
Posts: 1,002
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
refineries do get there formula's screwed up regularly and as a result the batch either gets reformulated, which gets costly,to get back to specs or is tanked as off-spec. so I would guess as an end seller of the product, pricing does very as to what they will be delivered and ,or what they order.
juikster is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 AM
  #23  
Registered
iTrader: (46)
 
9krpmrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33,744
Received 347 Likes on 279 Posts
Well, 40W8 (aka REDRX3RX8, aka 007) used to buy and sell it so he should know...............
9krpmrx8 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM
  #24  
Moderator Noir
iTrader: (4)
 
alnielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buddhist Monastery, High Himalaya Mtns. of Tibet
Posts: 12,257
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juikster View Post
refineries do get there formula's screwed up regularly and as a result the batch either gets reformulated, which gets costly,to get back to specs or is tanked as off-spec. so I would guess as an end seller of the product, pricing does very as to what they will be delivered and ,or what they order.
Not at my refinery, they test it several times a day to make sure it's right.
alnielsen is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
fourwhls
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
7
02-20-2019 05:16 PM
Michael Bryant
Series I Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
5
10-12-2015 03:07 PM
ShellDude
RX-8 Parts For Sale/Wanted
5
10-01-2015 09:55 PM
alming1132
RX-8 Parts For Sale/Wanted
0
09-30-2015 11:30 AM
djp6783
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
0
09-19-2015 12:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Top Tier (Gasoline) Brands


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.