Series 2 Maintenance Schedule - RX8Club.com



RX-8 Discussion General discussion about the RX-8 that doesn't fit in one of the specialty forums.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
t-run/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 849
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Series 2 Maintenance Schedule

I am looking at 2010 Rx8 with 30k miles. He just did the 30k maintenence (coils, oil change, etc). But he also said the dealer said the coils didn't need to be changed. This raised a red flag for me as I thought the coils were changed with the sparks every 30k?
t-run/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered
 
wannawankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 864
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
That is the (highly suggested) maintenance schedule. They of course don't have to do that just like changing oil every 3000 miles isn't a requirement. If you want something to last and the weak link for major repairs is the ignition and oil, then you opt for the more frequent schedule.
wannawankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
t-run/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 849
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok. Looks like I'll ask for a 500$ discount and make the BHR kit mod 1 on my list
t-run/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 449
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Dealers are naturally stupid when it comes to this and follows the Owner's Manual schedule. Mine said that I didn't need to change my coolant when I bought the car, but I insisted and they did it.

While some say S2 coils are better, this still happened to an S2.



If you look at where the fire is, it started from the shifter area - which is right above the cat. Cat usually gets killed by unburnt fuel, which comes from dead coils.

So yeah, I still think replace every 30k miles is a good idea unless you use a BHR ignition kit.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
40th anniversary Edition
 
gwilliams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: clayton,nj,08312
Posts: 2,550
Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
RX8 Club’s recommended maintenance schedule, more comprehensive and proactive than Mazda’s schedule.
30,000 miles:
- Replace Ignition coils
- Replace Plug wires
- Replace Spark plugs
- Clean MAF (mass air flow sensor)
- Clean ESS (e-shaft sensor)
- Reset ESS profile
- Clean power steering connections
- Clean battery terminals and clamps
- Replace transmission fluid
- Replace coolant (Mazda FL-22 is highly recommended)
- Replace air filter
- Replace brake fluid (fluid in the brake lines AND the clutch line)
~$300 USD in parts if you shop smartly.


every 60,000:
...all 30,000, plus...
- Clean all chassis electrical grounding points
- Replace accessory belts
- Clean OMP lines
- Replace rear differential fluid
- Replace thermostat
- Clean / Straighten AC condenser fins
- Clean / Straighten oil cooler fins
- Inspect catalytic converter
- Clean / Inspect intake valving
- Consider / inspect all points in 90,000+ as well, many items fail early
~$130 USD in parts if you shop smartly.

90,000:
...all 30,000, plus any 60,000 not yet done, plus...
- Replace coolant bottle
- Replace radiator hoses
- Replace radiator
- Replace front O2 sensor
- Replace motor mounts
- Inspect clutch pedal assembly for flex / weld breaks
~$900 USD in parts if you shop smartly.
At 100k, anything original in the cooling system is really suspect and failure prone. It represents the biggest threat to your engine.
gwilliams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-run/8 View Post
I am looking at 2010 Rx8 with 30k miles. He just did the 30k maintenence (coils, oil change, etc). But he also said the dealer said the coils didn't need to be changed. This raised a red flag for me as I thought the coils were changed with the sparks every 30k?
The idea to change the coils every 30k is a hold-over from the first-gen coils, which sucked. They have been through some revisions since then. Newer coils should be better.

I still change the coils every 30k even though I use the latest "C" revision of the Mazda coils, but that's because I want to do it preventatively. I don't know what a better interval would be for the most recent coil revision, so I'm erring on the safe side.

That said, it's hard to argue that failing to do this is a disaster or anything. As long as they used the latest coil revision, they should be good for a while.

You say the PO changed the coils, but then suggest he didn't. If he didn't, you'll want to change them soon. But if he did, you have time.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 449
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFodi View Post
The idea to change the coils every 30k is a hold-over from the first-gen coils, which sucked. They have been through some revisions since then. Newer coils should be better.

I still change the coils every 30k even though I use the latest "C" revision of the Mazda coils, but that's because I want to do it preventatively. I don't know what a better interval would be for the most recent coil revision, so I'm erring on the safe side.

That said, it's hard to argue that failing to do this is a disaster or anything. As long as they used the latest coil revision, they should be good for a while.

You say the PO changed the coils, but then suggest he didn't. If he didn't, you'll want to change them soon. But if he did, you have time.
I think when S2 came out, Revision B coils were the factory ones.

The dude who got his S2 burnt down said, "got in and the car immediately started driving 'off', it was underpowered and made a pretty bad noise while driving." This is further evidence that something's wrong with those coils.

Can't say anything about Revision C. I have a set of them, but they are just sitting around since I installed my BHR D-585 coils. Apparently, the white marks on the coils don't mean anything, so whether or not they last is still up in the air, and most people recommend BHR or other D-585 coil kits to newbies.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
40th anniversary Edition
 
gwilliams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: clayton,nj,08312
Posts: 2,550
Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
My BHR coils have worked flawlessly for eight years, I am a believer . Charles makes great stuff !
gwilliams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I think when S2 came out, Revision B coils were the factory ones.
Correct. My R3 has a pretty late production date and had B coils on it when I got it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
The dude who got his S2 burnt down said, "got in and the car immediately started driving 'off', it was underpowered and made a pretty bad noise while driving." This is further evidence that something's wrong with those coils.

Can't say anything about Revision C. I have a set of them, but they are just sitting around since I installed my BHR D-585 coils. Apparently, the white marks on the coils don't mean anything, so whether or not they last is still up in the air, and most people recommend BHR or other D-585 coil kits to newbies.
No argument here. My point is that if you have freshly changed late-revision coils, you shouldn't have to change them immediately.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Rx-8

I live in Tanzania East Africa, I just bought a second hand mazda Rx-8 anything I should know,, +255715181189 is my whats app number, please check on me guys, I appreciate
Fiamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
Put it in "H"!
iTrader: (1)
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,964
Thanked 80 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamar View Post
I live in Tanzania East Africa, I just bought a second hand mazda Rx-8 anything I should know,, +255715181189 is my whats app number, please check on me guys, I appreciate
Welcome, but this isn't a daycare. The new member section has several threads stickied at the top, read them, they hav everything you need to know.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Registered
 
wannawankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 864
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Dealers are naturally stupid when it comes to this and follows the Owner's Manual schedule. Mine said that I didn't need to change my coolant when I bought the car, but I insisted and they did it.

While some say S2 coils are better, this still happened to an S2.



If you look at where the fire is, it started from the shifter area - which is right above the cat. Cat usually gets killed by unburnt fuel, which comes from dead coils.

So yeah, I still think replace every 30k miles is a good idea unless you use a BHR ignition kit.
Coils are cheap compared to that inferno. I installed C rev coils about 8K ago (did so due to the engine still under warranty).
wannawankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
that picture is one of the main reasons mine is decat. Just installed for inspection once a year, removed right after.
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 449
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua13 View Post
that picture is one of the main reasons mine is decat. Just installed for inspection once a year, removed right after.
Well, if you can live with that smell.

I can't imagine myself living with that perpetual cold start smell. HJS cats eliminate this problem(for a price).
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
The smell only bad when standing, not while driving and I don't even notice anymore, now the noise in the other hand is ok for short trips, anything longer than 2 1/2 hours and you are deaf, lol
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua13 View Post
The smell only bad when standing, not while driving and I don't even notice anymore
Of course.

Meanwhile, anyone unlucky enough to drive behind you gets gassed the whole time.

The smell is annoying, but you get used to it. The combustion byproducts are toxic, and there's no getting used to that.

There's a reason all new cars have cats, and it ain't the smell.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamFodi For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (11-17-2017), UnknownJinX (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFodi View Post
Of course.

Meanwhile, anyone unlucky enough to drive behind you gets gassed the whole time.

The smell is annoying, but you get used to it. The combustion byproducts are toxic, and there's no getting used to that.

There's a reason all new cars have cats, and it ain't the smell.
The flames out the exhaust usually keeps other cars far away, lol
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boricua13 For This Useful Post:
200.mph (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua13 View Post
The flames out the exhaust usually keeps other cars far away, lol
This is stupid, and you know it.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamFodi For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (11-16-2017), NotAPreppie (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
To each their own, I'm pretty sure you did not purchase an 8 to save the planet because of their fuel economy, or they low emissions.
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #20
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Correct. Which is exactly why I find it so insane that anyone would think making it 10 times worse is okay.

With the cat, the RX-8's biggest emissions problem is CO2. Annoying, and bad for global warming, but not too harmful to people. Without the cat, the car chucks out a shitload more NOx, CO, and hydrocarbons. MUCH worse. Those are not comparable scenarios.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamFodi For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #21
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
If you are worried about the environment, you are driving the wrong car, cat or decat, go buy a Prius. Why do you think Mazda can't even release the new rotary? Got nothing to do with emissions
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Ugh. Guess I needed a reminder that some people can't tell the difference between bad and worse.

Thanks, boricua13. Lesson (re)learned.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 216
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
Then again, you are a hypocrite for talking about "saving the environment" but drive and 8.
I can bet that you made more damage to the environment that I did during all of 2017, I drove her about 2500 miles, how many miles did you drive?
And why? no time, work, family and commitments. But I bet my 2500 with a smile in my face were more enjoyable than whatever you drove. I don't kid myself, I know how bad this car is for the environment, thats why I have another 3 cars that I drive when I'm not driving this one, including a Mazda 3 that does about 40 mpg in the highway.
Get off your high horse and go preach to someone else.
boricua13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
You're the one who keeps bringing up the environment. Not sure why. I'm talking about NOx, CO, and hydrocarbon emissions being bad for people to breathe.

If you only drive your decatted RX-8 2500 miles a year, then yes, that's a damn sight better than if it were a DD. It'd be nice if you could add that as a caveat when you extol the virtues of decatting this car.

AFAIK, NOx conversion efficiency is near 100% in the AFR range the car normally runs. CO and hydrocarbon conversion efficiencies need AFRs closer to stoich; that's less common with my driving, but I'm always surprised how often the PCM is able to keep things in that neighborhood. So yes, it might be very interesting indeed to compare NOx, CO, and hydrocarbon emissions between your usage and mine. Spoiler, though: you probably beat my NOx total in your RX-8's first 1500 miles.
IamFodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #25
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 449
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFodi View Post
Correct. Which is exactly why I find it so insane that anyone would think making it 10 times worse is okay.

With the cat, the RX-8's biggest emissions problem is CO2. Annoying, and bad for global warming, but not too harmful to people. Without the cat, the car chucks out a shitload more NOx, CO, and hydrocarbons. MUCH worse. Those are not comparable scenarios.
That's what I am thinking. It's bad already, don't make it worse.

A good cat like HJS Tuning cat also won't rob you any performance.

While shooting flames would be awesome, the tradeoff isn't worth it. Even if you ignore the environmental effects, there are still the issues with your own health, your rear bumper paint, as well as potential tickets. I have a buddy who wants to become a cop when he graduates, and he said that while BC doesn't have emission tests, if the cops suspect that you don't have an emission device, they can pull you over and with the stench, they can just give you an expensive ticket on spot.

As for Prius, I personally don't like them more because of its driving dynamics(or lack thereof), which really applies to all Toyotas(save for the Toyobaru twin). If we have affordable hybrid sports cars, I am all for it.

boricua, you drive on tracks?
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
gwilliams6 (11-15-2017), IamFodi (11-14-2017)
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.


All content Copyright 2017 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.