Write up for 13B REW Swap with Adaptronic RX8 PNP - RX8Club.com

Go Back  RX8Club.com > Engine Swap Forum > Rotary Swaps
Reload this Page >

Write up for 13B REW Swap with Adaptronic RX8 PNP

Notices

Write up for 13B REW Swap with Adaptronic RX8 PNP

Old 11-30-2015, 05:35 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Ian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On some other planet or Surrey, UK
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Write up for 13B REW Swap with Adaptronic RX8 PNP

I know that several people here have used the Adaptronic RX8 PNP on their 13B REW swaps and so far I've not been able to find anything that explains how to do it.

Is there anyone here willing to do a write-up on what they did, particularly for the parameters input into the Adaptronic?
Ian_D is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:26 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 617
Thanked 45 Times in 42 Posts
I got my unit working properly now. I have a list of all of setting I made, but I will wait to get the car up and running before I start giving advice on the subject.

One tip I have for anyone who is using a Prosport wideband O2 gauge (or similar) and wants to use it with Adaptronics. Please note that it is recommended to use the Innovative MTX-L with serial input. Please see below for how Adaptroincs advises you on how to do this. It worked for me, and since we no longer use the APV in the swap, this is an option. Please understand the range of your wideband O2 sensor to make the proper correction/selection in WARI.

You simply wire the 0-5v output signal wire from the Prosport Wideband O2 gauge into pin 3B (APV/spare 0-5v input), then set the Analogue O2 calibration to "UEGO 0-5V = 10:1-20:1 on spare input".

Last edited by strokercharged95gt; 12-01-2015 at 03:32 PM.
strokercharged95gt is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 06:06 AM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Ian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On some other planet or Surrey, UK
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, that would be a great help.
Ian_D is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:06 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to hear more about these adeptronic rew swaps.
102nd7 is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM
  #5  
Fickert
iTrader: (6)
 
Fickert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Covington, Ohio
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So needed

Subbed for this thread. I have a feeling everyone will be making this a large thread soon
Fickert is offline  
Old 01-23-2016, 12:17 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am doing a REW swap where I am going to be using the adaptronic.

I have some experience with the adaptronic since I decided to hook it up to my daily driver - a 2004 NA RX8 with aftermarket intake, exhaust, ignition, etc. (The car is currently for sale in the classifieds since I should have the swap car finished pretty soon, it is being documented under the swap to end all swaps thread).

Anyway, from my experience so far with the adaptronic, if you are new to tuning, there is a lot to learn. You need to start by watching all the videos that Andy has uploaded from adaptronic. Read all the setup guides and the manual and check out the forums etc. I have been compiling a lot of the RX8 specific critical info in a word doc which I will be glad to share when I'm done.

Since I am hooking the adaptronic up to a NA RX8 i am using the APV 6 ports. I will update you guys when I finish tuning. So far I've managed to get it started and idling and have started playing around with the fuel and ignition maps.

You need a wideband O2 sensor (adaptronic sells the innovate on their website with all the cables and the guage for like $280.

It helps to have a dyno at your disposal too. And a couple of rotary Gurus as well which I am fortunate to have for assistance here in Miami.
rmvpa007 is offline  
Old 01-24-2016, 01:28 PM
  #7  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Ian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On some other planet or Surrey, UK
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I welcome anything you can say that will help people like me (an enthusiastic DIYer with a horrendous record of problems with electronics' not behaving as they should). I despair at the thought of going through the same frustration and misery as I did with my bike last year when both her ECU and Power Commander failed erratically for different reasons at the same time as I repaired a damaged engine, leading me to waste 100+ hours rebuilding and readjusting the engine several times over; eventually, after all the forum experts drew a blank, a complete ECU, loom and sensor change got her going reliably and I learnt some basic stuff from tweaking the standard tunes for the modified engine's characteristics.
Ian_D is offline  
Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 PM
  #8  
Renesis out... REW in
iTrader: (3)
 
firecran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll post up my finding when I install the Adaptronic ECU.
I'll be whiching out the Inter-X for the Adaptronic pnp in about a week.

.
firecran is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 12:46 PM
  #9  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
LiveWire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Richfield
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While we are at it, does anyone have access to the "additional" wiring required for the S2 models? That would just make my year.
LiveWire is offline  
Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 AM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
While we are at it, does anyone have access to the "additional" wiring required for the S2 models? That would just make my year.
Maybe this will help :

Good to E-meet you!

I've attached an ECU file and a wire mapping document for a series 2 RX8. Like Andy said the ECU connectors are hard to come by, so the only solution we have at the moment is to wire a 440 Select ECU in.

The setup is in piggyback so we retain the factory ECU for auxillary functions like e-throttle, dash, alternator control, and anti pollution gear. The engine on one hand is fully controlled by the Adaptronic ECU just like how a standalone ECU would do. Having said that, the factory ECU will be unhappy about the Adaptronic and will throw some codes related to the installation. The way we go around this is to use an OBDPROs module (ObdPros) so it can clear the codes every driving cycle, to avoid having the check engine light turning on.

That's basically how we do it on the Series 1 RX8 plug and play Adaptronic ECU, but instead we have an OBDPROs chip built-in, and the 2 x Primary 2, and 2 x Secondary injectors are fired semi-sequentially. The Series 2 RX8 went back to dual staging, so the 440 can fire all 4 x injectors sequentially.

Hope the above helps, but please do let me know if you have further questions about the installation.

Thanks.


Mark

On 28 January 2016 at 17:35, Andy Wyatt <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Richard, thanks for the enquiry.

Iíll introduce you to Mark, heís our lead sales / tech support guy; Iím really trying to focus on the new ECUs that Iíve already mentioned to Carlos, and the odd highly custom application like Carlosís customerís race car.

Mark, can you help out Richard please with the wiring mapping for a 420 / 440 into a S2 RX8, base map etc, explain about how itís 4 injectors on the S2 so we drive them sequentially, need the separate OBDPROs module, this is because we canít get the factory ECU connectors because theyíre restricted by Tyco etc?

Thank you!
Andy


-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Viscasillas [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, 28 January 2016 19:20
To: Andy Wyatt; Carlos Lopez
Subject: Which Adaptronic to use for Series II RX8


Hi Andy,


Was wondering which ECU you would recommend for the series II RX8.



Do you have a wiring diagram for the Series II RX8? Don't see one on the downloads page of your website.



We have talked about building a Turbo Series II RX8 using the adaptronic.



Thanks for your help.



Richard
rmvpa007 is offline  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
  #11  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here are the files Mark mentioned.

I just got my Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 sensor yesterday.

Will be installed on my Normally Aspirated 2004 RX8 and will be hitting the dyno Saturday to do the final tuning.

Eric at Rotarywerks in Miami helped me set up a basic tune with the Adaptronic Series I Select ECU which I have installed on the NA RX8 for testing purposes and to get familiar with the program before we put it in the Project Turbo RX8 car

Trying to tune with the factory O2 sensor is not practical since it is only good for tuning around the stoiciometerty range of 14.7 whereas the wideband enables tuning over the full range of the sensors capability.

Here's a video of WOT run of the test car using Eric's basic map before the MTX-L is installed.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Copy of RX8_Wiring_2009-1.xls (97.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: ecu
v009.ecu (8.0 KB, 95 views)
rmvpa007 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rmvpa007 For This Useful Post:
Warrior777 (05-05-2018)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 AM
  #12  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Video File didn't upload. Here it is...
Attached Files
rmvpa007 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rmvpa007 For This Useful Post:
Warrior777 (05-05-2018)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 AM
  #13  
Renesis out... REW in
iTrader: (3)
 
firecran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Adaptronic good so far....

Enjoying my PnP Select, I really wish I made to switch earlier.
My REW swap ran well with the Inter-X(no issues in 4yrs) but the PnP Select is years ahead of it and has so much more to offer.
Im currently self tuning and up to 10psi on 93 pump.
There's lots of great info on the Adaptronic Forum and customer service has been responsive.

Oh and Shelldude has a sweet app for it too!

#norenesis

.
firecran is offline  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
  #14  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
MaD666MaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any other useful infos?
MaD666MaX is offline  
Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM
  #15  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
MaD666MaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strokercharged95gt View Post
I got my unit working properly now. I have a list of all of setting I made, but I will wait to get the car up and running before I start giving advice on the subject.

One tip I have for anyone who is using a Prosport wideband O2 gauge (or similar) and wants to use it with Adaptronics. Please note that it is recommended to use the Innovative MTX-L with serial input. Please see below for how Adaptroincs advises you on how to do this. It worked for me, and since we no longer use the APV in the swap, this is an option. Please understand the range of your wideband O2 sensor to make the proper correction/selection in WARI.

You simply wire the 0-5v output signal wire from the Prosport Wideband O2 gauge into pin 3B (APV/spare 0-5v input), then set the Analogue O2 calibration to "UEGO 0-5V = 10:1-20:1 on spare input".
Can you better explain this?
MaD666MaX is offline  
Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 PM
  #16  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 617
Thanked 45 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MaD666MaX View Post
Can you better explain this?
On the Adaptronic Select for the RX8, they use the spare input for the APV. Most other cars its just a spare input, but due to the amount switches required on the RX8, it is used to read the APV.

Since you will not run the APV in the REW swap, you essentially cut the wire from the APV going into the Select before the harness (PIN 3B, a diagram can be found in manual). Then you have a 0-5+ output wire that is extra on the Prosport wiring harness to use for signalling whatever you want. You take that 0-5+ volt output from gauge and solder it into the Adaptronic Select at the location where you cut the APV input signal. Once the output wire from prosport gauge is soldered into the select, you will go into WARI and find tab "analogue calibrations", then goto "oxygen sensor type", then select the "UEGO 0-5V = 10:1 - 20:1 on spare input". That tells WARI to look at that input for a wideband 0-5 volt signal for tuning. I verified all this with both Adaptroinc and Prosport, and it works fine for me. Just make sure that your wideband sensor is the type that reads from 10:1-20:1, if not all of the values will be skewed.

I hope this make sense, I would tak a picture of how I did this but I am currenly doing a lot of body work on my hood and filler dust is everywhere. If you don't understand this, I will take a picture of it.

Last edited by strokercharged95gt; 05-05-2016 at 06:32 PM.
strokercharged95gt is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM
  #17  
Fickert
iTrader: (6)
 
Fickert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Covington, Ohio
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokercharged95gt View Post
On the Adaptronic Select for the RX8, they use the spare input for the APV. Most other cars its just a spare input, but due to the amount switches required on the RX8, it is used to read the APV.

Since you will not run the APV in the REW swap, you essentially cut the wire from the APV going into the Select before the harness (PIN 3B, a diagram can be found in manual). Then you have a 0-5+ output wire that is extra on the Prosport wiring harness to use for signalling whatever you want. You take that 0-5+ volt output from gauge and solder it into the Adaptronic Select at the location where you cut the APV input signal. Once the output wire from prosport gauge is soldered into the select, you will go into WARI and find tab "analogue calibrations", then goto "oxygen sensor type", then select the "UEGO 0-5V = 10:1 - 20:1 on spare input". That tells WARI to look at that input for a wideband 0-5 volt signal for tuning. I verified all this with both Adaptroinc and Prosport, and it works fine for me. Just make sure that your wideband sensor is the type that reads from 10:1-20:1, if not all of the values will be skewed.

I hope this make sense, I would tak a picture of how I did this but I am currenly doing a lot of body work on my hood and filler dust is everywhere. If you don't understand this, I will take a picture of it.
To be honest, a video would do wonders, and I assume easier for you as well. even if you just draw up a diagram and explain it.
Fickert is offline  
Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 AM
  #18  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
MaD666MaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strokercharged95gt View Post
On the Adaptronic Select for the RX8, they use the spare input for the APV. Most other cars its just a spare input, but due to the amount switches required on the RX8, it is used to read the APV.

Since you will not run the APV in the REW swap, you essentially cut the wire from the APV going into the Select before the harness (PIN 3B, a diagram can be found in manual). Then you have a 0-5+ output wire that is extra on the Prosport wiring harness to use for signalling whatever you want. You take that 0-5+ volt output from gauge and solder it into the Adaptronic Select at the location where you cut the APV input signal. Once the output wire from prosport gauge is soldered into the select, you will go into WARI and find tab "analogue calibrations", then goto "oxygen sensor type", then select the "UEGO 0-5V = 10:1 - 20:1 on spare input". That tells WARI to look at that input for a wideband 0-5 volt signal for tuning. I verified all this with both Adaptroinc and Prosport, and it works fine for me. Just make sure that your wideband sensor is the type that reads from 10:1-20:1, if not all of the values will be skewed.

I hope this make sense, I would tak a picture of how I did this but I am currenly doing a lot of body work on my hood and filler dust is everywhere. If you don't understand this, I will take a picture of it.
I did all the wiring but didnt tried it yet to see if it works, car is at the shop for basemap
MaD666MaX is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 08:46 AM
  #19  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not really an adaptronic question but more of a 13b rew question. Will a 13b rew work with existing S2 Rx-8 exhaust manifold or Racing beat exhaust manifold or do I need extra fabrication or a new exhaust manifold to get it to work?
fnikhall is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 AM
  #20  
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salem, CT
Posts: 424
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fnikhall View Post
This is not really an adaptronic question but more of a 13b rew question. Will a 13b rew work with existing S2 Rx-8 exhaust manifold or Racing beat exhaust manifold or do I need extra fabrication or a new exhaust manifold to get it to work?
If you can't figure this answer out by yourself, do not do a swap.

Not to be an *******, but this is a very basic question and deals with the differences between the exhaust ports on the Renesis vs. 13B-REW(and pretty much all previous rotaries).
Love_Hounds is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 AM
  #21  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Hounds View Post
If you can't figure this answer out by yourself, do not do a swap.

Not to be an *******, but this is a very basic question and deals with the differences between the exhaust ports on the Renesis vs. 13B-REW(and pretty much all previous rotaries).
I'm assuming that means they are different. I will admit I haven't done much research yet into the exhaust manifold. I was simply asking for a yes/ no answer because If they were compatible I wouldn't have needed to do much more research but if they were different then I would obviously do extensive research to find out what all I need to do. By your response I am lead to assume that they are different and I will now do the necessary research. Thanks
fnikhall is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 AM
  #22  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should do the research first, then post what you find to get comparing information. If you want the easy way to information. Then I seriously suggest you look into another car/build. Or you will end up like the countless amount of people who now only have half assed or unfinished builds.
iAchilles is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM
  #23  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iAchilles View Post
You should do the research first, then post what you find to get comparing information. If you want the easy way to information. Then I seriously suggest you look into another car/build. Or you will end up like the countless amount of people who now only have half assed or unfinished builds.
Alright thanks. I suppose I just haven't mastered how to research on these threads super effectively and I don't know where my various question should go or where to start. I'll keep searching.
fnikhall is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM
  #24  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fnikhall View Post
Alright thanks. I suppose I just haven't mastered how to research on these threads super effectively and I don't know where my various question should go or where to start. I'll keep searching.
Type what you need into Google. Then add rx8 or rx8club after. Then BAM! Thread should appear. I would also suggest reading everything in the threads. Dont try to just skim. Olive leatned all the best information has been on the threads i didnt expect. You will laugh, cry, and learn.
iAchilles is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM
  #25  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iAchilles View Post
Type what you need into Google. Then add rx8 or rx8club after. Then BAM! Thread should appear. I would also suggest reading everything in the threads. Dont try to just skim. Olive leatned all the best information has been on the threads i didnt expect. You will laugh, cry, and learn.
Alright thank you
fnikhall is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FubarI33t
Non-Rotary Swaps
41
05-24-2016 12:29 PM
AllSeeingChris
RX-8 Parts For Sale/Wanted
1
12-01-2015 07:52 AM
chernasty
RX-8's For Sale/Wanted
0
11-30-2015 01:33 PM
ratm
Australia/New Zealand Forum
2
11-30-2015 08:26 AM
Zygrene
West RX-8 Forum
0
11-27-2015 05:24 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Write up for 13B REW Swap with Adaptronic RX8 PNP


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.