Notices
Mountain Forum Serving MT, WY, UT, CO, NM

Looking for some help to do some maintenance

Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some help to do some maintenance

So I got some service stuff I'd like to do to my car (2009 Rx8 R3), I'm getting close to the 30,000 mile service along with needing some new break pads and coils and was wondering if there was anyone in the Denver CO area who have the tools necessary and possibly some know how on how to do this stuff. I'm looking to save some money and learn a little bit about my car rather then going to the dealer to have them do it. They've quoted me at $339 for the 30k service, $212 for the break job, $110 in coil labor, and $313 for the coils. There would obviously be payment in the form of 6 packs or whatever you think is appropriate. Let me know if your in the area and looking to help
ober is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ober View Post
So I got some service stuff I'd like to do to my car (2009 Rx8 R3), I'm getting close to the 30,000 mile service along with needing some new break pads and coils and was wondering if there was anyone in the Denver CO area who have the tools necessary and possibly some know how on how to do this stuff. I'm looking to save some money and learn a little bit about my car rather then going to the dealer to have them do it. They've quoted me at $339 for the 30k service, $212 for the break job, $110 in coil labor, and $313 for the coils. There would obviously be payment in the form of 6 packs or whatever you think is appropriate. Let me know if your in the area and looking to help
I will be doing my coils soon, but havent done it yet. BC showed me brakes and Ive done 6 pad changes front and rear since so I can help there. I also have the Motive bleeder which makes flushing cake and enough tools. So Im down. Maybe we can get someone who's done coils but I doubt its that hard from what I've read.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  #3  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've already done the coils plugs and wires on my 2011 Sport, along with transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, brake fluid (with Iluvrev's help), plenty of oil and filter changes, brakes galore (as mentioned already), and even have lots of other experience in working my butt off under cars and motorcycles (Ducati's are preferred, but I have a soft sport for Honda's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's, too).

If you and Iluvrevs wanted to time it, we could have a dual service day with both of your cars in my garage, or wherever works best for the both of you.

Send me a pm if you're interested.

BC.

Last edited by Bladecutter; 04-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 PM
  #4  
Mile High Eight
 
Hydr0nium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 255
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will also be doing my 30k maintenance when I get back. I also will look to swap out diff fluid and install ss clutch and brake lines. I'd love to get a wrench day organized.

Also before I left to Topeka, I went to get an oil change at Mazda of Lakewood, and the rotary tech there thinks I might be a good candidate for a motor replacement. I haven't noticed anything of the sorts, but he was concerned with the compression test numbers I had when I first purchased the car. I'm sure the results of that will dictate my plans.
Hydr0nium is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM
  #5  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When are you back in town?
We can definitely do a group event, no problem there, unless the guys need theirs done sooner.

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
  #6  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd definitely be down for a group event. I'm at 29000 miles so im in no real rush. I just need some time to order all the parts.

http://mazmart.com/PartsList.aspx?id=38&n=NEW&m=6
Will i need only the coils for 240 or the coils and wires for 290. I just did my spark plugs about 5000 ago so i wont need the whole set.
ober is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladecutter View Post
When are you back in town?
We can definitely do a group event, no problem there, unless the guys need theirs done sooner.

BC.
No super rush yet for me. I have about 3000 miles yet.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My spring break starts march 22 so i would finally have some free time that weekend. does that works for everybody else?
ober is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ober View Post
My spring break starts march 22 so i would finally have some free time that weekend. does that works for everybody else?
That works for me.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
  #10  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Denver Auto Show is the 20th through the 24th, so at least one of those days I'm going to be there, drooling on cars, harassing the Maserati people to let me past the rope and into the Gran Turismo.

But yeah, I'm game if everyone else is.
Will be great fun, and you guys will learn some important tips on changing the ignition bits on your cars.

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  #11  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladecutter View Post
Denver Auto Show is the 20th through the 24th, so at least one of those days I'm going to be there, drooling on cars, harassing the Maserati people to let me past the rope and into the Gran Turismo.

But yeah, I'm game if everyone else is.
Will be great fun, and you guys will learn some important tips on changing the ignition bits on your cars.

BC.
Yeah, I remembered the autoshow this AM. I can still make this though.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
  #12  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knowing my boss i probably work Saturday the 23rd all day but i requested the 24th off as its my birthday so i'll be free sunday all day. So Sunday would be the best for me that weekend.

So I'm looking to do rear differential fluid, oil and oil filter change, coils, brakes and brake fluid and anything else the 30k maintenance schedule says which i'm pretty sure is just inspect stuff. I do have 3 questions. For the coils will I need to purchase the coils and wires or just the coils? And for the brakes is there any way to tell how worn they are. All I know is last time I was at the dealership they said my brakes were starting to look pretty worn and would probably need changing soon so i'm just assuming I should change them now. Also is there anything else I'll need or does that cover it? Sorry for all the questions I'm doing as much research as possible.
ober is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
  #13  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ober View Post
Knowing my boss i probably work Saturday the 23rd all day but i requested the 24th off as its my birthday so i'll be free sunday all day. So Sunday would be the best for me that weekend.

So I'm looking to do rear differential fluid, oil and oil filter change, coils, brakes and brake fluid and anything else the 30k maintenance schedule says which i'm pretty sure is just inspect stuff. I do have 3 questions. For the coils will I need to purchase the coils and wires or just the coils? And for the brakes is there any way to tell how worn they are. All I know is last time I was at the dealership they said my brakes were starting to look pretty worn and would probably need changing soon so i'm just assuming I should change them now. Also is there anything else I'll need or does that cover it? Sorry for all the questions I'm doing as much research as possible.
You should be able to look through the view hole on the caliper to see the pad material, but may need to take your wheels off first. I think min you want is 2mm but I change mine at or above that point bc I track a good bit. I could stop by too before than and take a look if you need help.

Id do the transmission since you will already have the car up for the differential. Ive done mine about 4 times each so far, but again I track. Getting the car in the air is the hardest part.

Probably should flush your brakes too and I will bring my motive bleeder so it will be a snap. Also, its on the Mazda schedule anyway. I need to do my clutch and hope BC can help me there.

May as well do the wires with the coils since we will already be in there. I got my coils from AAP and wires from Atkins Rotary. I may extend my plugs to 45K which would give me 25K on this set just to see what if any difference I see from the coil and wire change. Maybe not though.

Air filters are all that I can think of without actually looking at a schedule. Ive been doing my intake filter every 10K, not done the cabin though and dont think I ever will but I may just take it out.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
  #14  
Mile High Eight
 
Hydr0nium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 255
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladecutter View Post
When are you back in town?
We can definitely do a group event, no problem there, unless the guys need theirs done sooner.

BC.
I wont be back till early summer. May/June is what is anticipated. I may also be investing in some pss9 coilovers between now and then. So I think my car alone might have enough work to be done to dictate a wrench weekend on it's own.
Hydr0nium is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
  #15  
The devil made me do it
iTrader: (1)
 
DeViLbOi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 3,706
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm due for fluids and plugs as well but I can't make a Sunday because of work.
DeViLbOi is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  #16  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DeViLbOi View Post
I'm due for fluids and plugs as well but I can't make a Sunday because of work.
Propose a different day then.
Not Saturday the 23rd, because I'm going to be at the car show for a huge chunk of the day. If you're broken down outside the car show, then I might be able to help.

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 AM
  #17  
The devil made me do it
iTrader: (1)
 
DeViLbOi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 3,706
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got 2K miles before I'm due. I might just team up with Hydr0nium when he gets back at the end of May/June.
DeViLbOi is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  #18  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may need to push back to April myself.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
  #19  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My garage is always open for you guys.
Just say when, and come on over.

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 AM
  #20  
For the Masses
iTrader: (1)
 
r-enzyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bladecutter, what area of town are you in? I'm in Broomfield near Legacy High School.

I installed a remanned engine last year and it's been running great but I'm starting to have some tranny issues and I really don't want to take it to the dealer or get it towed all the way down to Precision Import.
r-enzyme is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
  #21  
Colorado's Fastest RX-8
 
Greek Racer 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys should join up at CMZC.net. I'd be willing to help with anything after work any day I'm free. There are several RX-7 owners and me that would be willing to help and also several other Mazda owners.

I browse there about every day. Not so much on rx8club. ( about once a month) It'd be nice to get more owners on there to organize cruises and tech days.
Greek Racer 8 is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM
  #22  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by r-enzyme View Post
Bladecutter, what area of town are you in? I'm in Broomfield near Legacy High School.

I installed a remanned engine last year and it's been running great but I'm starting to have some tranny issues and I really don't want to take it to the dealer or get it towed all the way down to Precision Import.
I live in Arvada, near 72nd and Wadsworth.

That sucks about your transmission giving you troubles.
Is it a manual or an auto?

Have you checked to see if it might be the clutch lever mounting bracket that's started to come apart?

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  #23  
Rockie Mountain Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just finished replacing the coils (he even got the new C coils) and wires (Mazda OEM) on Ober's R3 today.
While we were at it, we also did the rear differential fluid (Red Line) and the transmission fluid (Enos) on his car.

We're saving the brakes for a day that Iluvrev's might be available to loan us his brake bleeder kit, if he wanted to do some work on his car too.

Since the weather is getting nicer and nicer, we should schedule all of you guys to come by, and get your cars taken care of. Throw some burgers and dogs on the BBQ, and make a day out of it.

I may not have my RX-8 anymore, but you guys are always welcome to come by and bring your cars with you. You can even look over my CX-5, and we can do some launch comparisons between the CX-5 and your RX-8's.

BC.
Bladecutter is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
  #24  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladecutter View Post
Just finished replacing the coils (he even got the new C coils) and wires (Mazda OEM) on Ober's R3 today.
While we were at it, we also did the rear differential fluid (Red Line) and the transmission fluid (Enos) on his car.

We're saving the brakes for a day that Iluvrev's might be available to loan us his brake bleeder kit, if he wanted to do some work on his car too.

Since the weather is getting nicer and nicer, we should schedule all of you guys to come by, and get your cars taken care of. Throw some burgers and dogs on the BBQ, and make a day out of it.

I may not have my RX-8 anymore, but you guys are always welcome to come by and bring your cars with you. You can even look over my CX-5, and we can do some launch comparisons between the CX-5 and your RX-8's.

BC.
Im down for some time in May. I will be ready to do my ignition then and can bring the Motive. Wonder if we can get a deal on a case of quality brake fluid and save each other a couple $.

Im starting to wonder if Ive got a wheel bearing thats crappen out, but am planning to get that and the entire suspension looked at by a shop though not sure which one yet. Only so much we can do to multiple cars in one day anyway but I imagine the track days are taking their toll so I need to get more experienced in taking care of the total car.
Iluvrevs is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  #25  
Mile High Eight
 
Hydr0nium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 255
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just added one more thing to get installed.

Axial Flow Short Shifter.

Looks like Early July is when I am officially going to be back.
Hydr0nium is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for some help to do some maintenance


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.