2018 Mazda6 gets the Turbo 2.5L SkyActiv-G - Page 3 - RX8Club.com



General Automotive Discuss all things automotive here other than the RX-8

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #51
Administrator
 
zoom44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 21,823
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
yeah ill be reaching out to see if I can get us sound technical reasons. is the turbo system just in the way in the current chassis? does the cx-9 just physically have more room? I'm not remembering the difference between the cx-9 in NA current chassis and the Mazda 6 chassis.

As for AWD- it's not about Snow. At least not up here in the Pacific North West. Here it's marketing against all the Subarus sold up here. people want to take their car to a gravelly road and to a trailhead to go hiking on the weekend etc. Me personally I'd rather have it putting the 310ft/lbs to the ground then all 310 going to the front wheels.

Last edited by zoom44; 12-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.
zoom44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoom44 For This Useful Post:
ASH8 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #52
Super Moderator
 
ASH8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Posts: 10,381
Thanked 68 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons View Post
I will give Mazda two years to come up with something that won't remind me of its base economy platform.
This recent release of the 2.5T refresh of the Mazda6 without AWD gives me little hope of what is to come within my time frame.
Sir I HEAR YOU and I do not BLAME YOU

You can bet on Mazda pissing around with their ENGINE/TRANS selections Time and TIME again, too small.

They MNAO still has this VP (Vice President) who appears to me to do sweet F*ck ALL, what the hell does this guy do,
does he LISTEN to MAZDA Dealers and their Existing MAZDA Customers or not?? !!

STOP mucking around MAZDA NAO and order these models with the LARGEST Displacement ENGINE
you have available right now and that is the 2.5cc TURBO, BANG, DONE, Pretty SIMPLE man.

EVERY-TIME MAZDA (ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!) YOU KEEP RELEASING any MODEL WITH same old SMALL ENGINES!!
YOUR VERY LOYAL OWNERS WANT POWER!!!
ASH8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #53
Super Moderator
 
ASH8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Posts: 10,381
Thanked 68 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom44 View Post
yeah ill be reaching out to see if I can get us sound technical reasons. is the turbo system just in the way in the current chassis? does the cx-9 just physically have more room? I'm not remembering the difference between the cx-9 in NA current chassis and the Mazda 6 chassis.

As for AWD- it's not about Snow. At least not up here in the Pacific North West. Here it's marketing against all the Subarus sold up here. people want to take their car to a gravelly road and to a trailhead to go hiking on the weekend etc. Me personally I'd rather have it putting the 310ft/lbs to the ground then all 310 going to the front wheels.
Yes, I believe you are right, I somehow do not think the current GL Mazda 6 platform is engineered to take more Power/Torque to the rear with a Turbo...this is the Technical/Safety/Legal issue.

Take the ND MX-5/Miata, can not take anymore power than the standard 2.5 banger without major re-engineering/chassis strengthening and new parts like an upgrade to 5 stud/lug wheel bearing/collars, new differentials/axles/transmissions/floor braces/brakes and then crash testing/compliance. YES it can be done, .... BUT this reaction to market demand is WAY TOO SLOW god dam it...!

Just look what happens when Mazda adds the 2.5l to the ND without proper engineering and testing to the Drive Train, the result is many retailed 2.5l ND Transmission (6MT) breakdowns, the 6MT has been factory updated 4 times to the 6MT 1st and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, reverse Gears, Cluster Gear over the same original 1.5l ND 6MT which the Trans was only engineered for. (the USA/Canada and Australia/NZ insisted the ND must have a 2.5l Banger as MMC Japan was originally ONLY going to have a 1.5l), some US ND Owners are on their 3rd complete 6MT.
ASH8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #54
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 495
Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH8 View Post
Sir I HEAR YOU and I do not BLAME YOU

You can bet on Mazda pissing around with their ENGINE/TRANS selections Time and TIME again, too small.

They MNAO still has this VP (Vice President) who appears to me to do sweet F*ck ALL, what the hell does this guy do,
does he LISTEN to MAZDA Dealers and their Existing MAZDA Customers or not?? !!

STOP mucking around MAZDA NAO and order these models with the LARGEST Displacement ENGINE
you have available right now and that is the 2.5cc TURBO, BANG, DONE, Pretty SIMPLE man.

EVERY-TIME MAZDA (ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!) YOU KEEP RELEASING any MODEL WITH same old SMALL ENGINES!!
YOUR VERY LOYAL OWNERS WANT POWER!!!
I can understand how people want a bit more power for the 6. I recall that a couple of people at the Accord forum said they would have considered the 6 if it has a more powerful engine option since these people come from the V6 Accords which put out about 270~280 BHP.

Personally, I am not really brand loyal. I didn't care much for Mazda until I learned about rotaries. I don't think there are that many people who are brand loyal. I like anything that looks good to my eyes, has a healthy amount of power, and offers a MT option.

I have learned that, yes, AWD can give you an edge in some situations, but I am not sure if there will be enough people that will pay extra for it. Ford Fusion has an AWD option, but no one seems to give a crap... So I have doubts Mazda will do it.
UnknownJinX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #55
Wiseguy
 
MattMPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,012
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH8 View Post
Yes, I believe you are right, I somehow do not think the current GL Mazda 6 platform is engineered to take more Power/Torque to the rear with a Turbo...this is the Technical/Safety/Legal issue.

Take the ND MX-5/Miata, can not take anymore power than the standard 2.5 banger without major re-engineering/chassis strengthening and new parts like an upgrade to 5 stud/lug wheel bearing/collars, new differentials/axles/transmissions/floor braces/brakes and then crash testing/compliance. YES it can be done, .... BUT this reaction to market demand is WAY TOO SLOW god dam it...!

Just look what happens when Mazda adds the 2.5l to the ND without proper engineering and testing to the Drive Train, the result is many retailed 2.5l ND Transmission (6MT) breakdowns, the 6MT has been factory updated 4 times to the 6MT 1st and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, reverse Gears, Cluster Gear over the same original 1.5l ND 6MT which the Trans was only engineered for. (the USA/Canada and Australia/NZ insisted the ND must have a 2.5l Banger as MMC Japan was originally ONLY going to have a 1.5l), some US ND Owners are on their 3rd complete 6MT.
a friend of mine owns a modified NC in order to have 3-4 hours trackdays 2 time /months. His specialized reference shop (a guy very expert about track oriented modded Mx-5s since many years) told him that ND is not good for tackdays....everything is too tiny.

i mean transmission and chassis mainly.....
MattMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #56
Registered
 
New Yorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,119
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH8 View Post
Sir I HEAR YOU and I do not BLAME YOU

You can bet on Mazda pissing around with their ENGINE/TRANS selections Time and TIME again, too small.

They MNAO still has this VP (Vice President) who appears to me to do sweet F*ck ALL, what the hell does this guy do,
does he LISTEN to MAZDA Dealers and their Existing MAZDA Customers or not?? !!

STOP mucking around MAZDA NAO and order these models with the LARGEST Displacement ENGINE
you have available right now and that is the 2.5cc TURBO, BANG, DONE, Pretty SIMPLE man.

EVERY-TIME MAZDA (ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!) YOU KEEP RELEASING any MODEL WITH same old SMALL ENGINES!!
YOUR VERY LOYAL OWNERS WANT POWER!!!
My RX-8 is my fourth Mazda in 26 years, and this loyal owner doesn't want more power. Im a subscriber to Graham Chapmans philosophy; what I want is LIGHTER CARS that dance well, as lighter cars are more fun to drive. Personally, I believe most cars today have more power than they need. (And if you're listening Mazda, don't touch the Miata. The latest iteration is commendably lighter and smaller than the previous version. You guys definitely "get it".)

Weight Is Always More Important than Horsepower

A More Powerful Car is Not Always a Better One | Automobile Magazine

Last edited by New Yorker; 12-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
New Yorker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #57
\_(ツ)_/
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,979
Thanked 144 Times in 111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Every Enthusiast Ever
I want {insert favored manufacturer} to make the perfect car just for me and I don't care that it wouldn't be profitable and that only ten people would buy it. I can't see past my own narrow worldview and so I assume that everybody feels this way.
I'm still waiting for my brown Mazda6 wagon with a logitudinal VR5 turbodiesel and rear-bias AWD with TorSen diffs front/center/rear receiving power through a 6MT.

Or maybe, just dust off the RX-8 tooling, update it to fit the SkyActiv 2.5T and put it on sale for $30k.
NotAPreppie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotAPreppie For This Useful Post:
comebackqid (12-05-2017), zoom44 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #58
Registered
 
77mjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Or maybe, just dust off the RX-8 tooling, update it to fit the SkyActiv 2.5T and put it on sale for $30k.
If they could ever make that work, I'd be in line for one.
77mjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #59
转子之魂
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 495
Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
My RX-8 is my fourth Mazda in 26 years, and this loyal owner doesn't want more power. I’m a subscriber to Graham Chapman’s philosophy; what I want is LIGHTER CARS that dance well, as lighter cars are more fun to drive. Personally, I believe most cars today have more power than they need. (And if you're listening Mazda, don't touch the Miata. The latest iteration is commendably lighter and smaller than the previous version. You guys definitely "get it".)

Weight Is Always More Important than Horsepower

A More Powerful Car is Not Always a Better One | Automobile Magazine
It depends on the kind of car you are talking about.

If you are talking about the ND MX-5, then yeah, keep it the way it is now. There was a video someone made that complained about the powerless nature of ND, but it got burned at stake by everyone, and one comment pointed out that MX-5 is the only car in its class(small roadster) that ends up surviving to this day with the Colin Chapman philosophy. M2R and S2k both bit the dust. ND also pulls faster than an RX-8 because it's so light. The only way to make a MX-5 more powerful than it is only without destroying the balance and light weight is with a rotary engine, but that has its own set of issues.

But for family cars like the 6, the same logic doesn't really apply. I don't expect any FWD to be that good handling. My Accord Coupe V6 accelerates fairly fast and has a lot more low-end, but the handling is not that great, and I definitely wouldn't take turns like I do in my RX-8. That's what the car was for, though: a bit of power and good amount of practicality(less so with the Coupe, but it's still spacious). Most other companies offer at least 2 engine options for their mid-size Sedans, so they have grannies buying the less powerful cars with good fuel economy and the people who care about more power so they can have a bit of silly fun and/or pass others more easily on highways.
UnknownJinX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #60
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monroe, WI
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry If I am late to the show, but if that's not the case I thought this might be relevant...

I read an article by Drive today that Mazda want's to have AWD in the 3 and 6, but due to design constraints of existing models they cannot do it but, hinted to look for it in the next generation of 3 and 6.

Mazda Wants All-Wheel Drive In The Next 3 and 6 - The Drive

For those who don't want to click and read the article, here's the highlight.

"I think we are not able to combine four-wheel drive and the 2.5-litre turbo. We have a layout issue with the sedans, that’s why a four-wheel drive isn’t deployed on the Mazda3 and 6 so far," said Moro. "But there is a huge demand, at least what I know is that in the east coast of the USA, 80 or 90 percent of premium sedans are sold with all-wheel drive." Moro adds, "Four-wheel drive becomes a premium queue for U.S. consumers and obviously I have asked our R&D department to think about how we can accommodate four-wheel drive capability in the future."

BUT

"We did reach out to Mazda and a spokesperson told The Drive that while it will "continue to investigate how best to bring its vehicles to the U.S. market," there is nothing further to "share about the potential for future Mazda3 and Mazda6 vehicles to include an all-wheel-drive option" at this time. "


I find it odd they say there is a layout problem but AWD models are available in other parts of the world? Is this an engine specific problem or maybe a design specific problem to meet US standards?
blackmount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackmount For This Useful Post:
comebackqid (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #61
Administrator
 
zoom44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 21,823
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
layout problem with the Turbo 2.5l engine not with the non T version
zoom44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #62
\_(ツ)_/
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,979
Thanked 144 Times in 111 Posts
I would bet that part of the problem is that profit margins are higher on crossovers so there's a disincentive to pull customers away from those models.

I don't think it's a conscious decision but rather a lack of drive. If the 3 and 6 were the profit margin leaders, I'd bet Mazda would import AWD variants of those with the quickness.
NotAPreppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #63
Super Moderator
 
ASH8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Posts: 10,381
Thanked 68 Times in 49 Posts
BTW: Not certain IF it has been confirmed here but there is definitely No Manual Trans with this 2.5T Engine. only made available with Auto trans.

If anyone wants an official Mazda 2.5T Engine Manual let me know via a PM as I can not post a 10MB PDF here...still..lame IB.
ASH8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #64
RIDE HARD
iTrader: (9)
 
200.mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BALLS DEEP
Posts: 4,483
Thanked 207 Times in 184 Posts
thats a shame, not that im in the market for one but less and less m/t choices sucks
200.mph is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


All content Copyright 2017 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.