Notices
Far East/Asia Serving the Far East

Where to get tail light replacement?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
  #1  
GavLee
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to get tail light replacement?

Hi Bros of RX8club,

Due to the bad weather and heavy rain over the past week, my left tail light has water seepage and vapour in it. I was advice by a mechanic that the recommended method wld be to change the entire tail light. Or can it be repaired?

So, brothers, where can I get it replace cheap? Btw, how much does MM charged, is it around $380?

Please advice. Thanks!


Leega
leega is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM
  #2  
aka Spectre
 
Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Remove the tailight and blow dry it with hair dryer. Works if seal is not the cause of leakage problem.

2) if seal is cause then will have to reseal using sillicone sealant

3)have money, buy new set from any hop at veerasamy rd.

1 and 2 ; must make sure dried water does not leave stains.
Emperor is offline  
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 AM
  #3  
phor bo or som tum?
 
BlackEight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 304
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leega View Post
Hi Bros of RX8club,

Due to the bad weather and heavy rain over the past week, my left tail light has water seepage and vapour in it. I was advice by a mechanic that the recommended method wld be to change the entire tail light. Or can it be repaired?

So, brothers, where can I get it replace cheap? Btw, how much does MM charged, is it around $380?

Please advice. Thanks!


Leega

the last time i had the same problem too.

heavy rain, the tailight becomes a fish tank.
can even have tsunami waves inside.

then i was wondering where could the leak be that can cause
such a heavy flood?

the answer is not the tailight itself.
it is the black foam seal between the tailight and the car body.
this seal has flatten and hardened.

when it rains, there is drainage at the side of boot, the water goes around this black seal n if yrs is leaking, the flooding can be quiet heavy.(sounds like a pad advert)

unscrew your entire tailight, disconnect the wiring, bring home n empty all the water throughly and sun it for a day to rid of all moisture.

between the black seal and the car body, get the 3m double sided type
that is clear, flexible, rubbery and thick(silicon like), go round the seal,
clean the car body that comes into contact with the double side tape.

install back the tailight, ensure the screws are well tightened.

in my opinion, the double sided non porous tap provides a better seal then the
original porous foam seal and don't stinge on the brand.
get 3M, they make the best adhesvie tapes with a difference.
they do the job where others fail.

i never had any moisture or water problem with that fishtank *** tail light
since and that was a year ago.

good luck. even if u change a new tail light,
doesn't guarantee the problem wont come back with the new light.
BlackEight is offline  
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
  #4  
GavLee
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackEight View Post
the last time i had the same problem too.

heavy rain, the tailight becomes a fish tank.
can even have tsunami waves inside.

then i was wondering where could the leak be that can cause
such a heavy flood?

the answer is not the tailight itself.
it is the black foam seal between the tailight and the car body.
this seal has flatten and hardened.

when it rains, there is drainage at the side of boot, the water goes around this black seal n if yrs is leaking, the flooding can be quiet heavy.(sounds like a pad advert)

unscrew your entire tailight, disconnect the wiring, bring home n empty all the water throughly and sun it for a day to rid of all moisture.

between the black seal and the car body, get the 3m double sided type
that is clear, flexible, rubbery and thick(silicon like), go round the seal,
clean the car body that comes into contact with the double side tape.

install back the tailight, ensure the screws are well tightened.

in my opinion, the double sided non porous tap provides a better seal then the
original porous foam seal and don't stinge on the brand.
get 3M, they make the best adhesvie tapes with a difference.
they do the job where others fail.

i never had any moisture or water problem with that fishtank *** tail light
since and that was a year ago.

good luck. even if u change a new tail light,
doesn't guarantee the problem wont come back with the new light.
Hello Bro,

Thanks for your very detailed explanation...

I'll try to figure it out, so i guess what u're trying to say is to use this 3M double side heavy duty tape and tape it round the tail light seal right?

I'll try first, but if can't figure out, will come back to u...thanks pal!


Leega
leega is offline  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM
  #5  
phor bo or som tum?
 
BlackEight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 304
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when u open the boot and unscrew the tailight from the inside,

u will see the black foam seal that sits against the car body.

put the double sided tape on top of the seal around the holes and the other side of the tap will glue against the car body.
BlackEight is offline  
Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 299
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best way is to use sealant for automotive windows. not silicone. I use the sealant they use for sealing auto glass and works fine.
tough part is the drying of the lamp. i placed it under my A/C for a day and it was totally dry but got a bit of water marks.
mkl22 is offline  
Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
  #7  
sold the 8... :(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a thread about this somwhere and it suggests drilling 2 holes on the bottom of the taillights. I did this and it has remained fog free. It allows air to recirculate. If you replace the light or gasket you will just get the same issue over time...this is a known problem...drill holes on the very bottom and save yourself the hassle
05rex8 is offline  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 PM
  #8  
aka Spectre
 
Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkl22 View Post
best way is to use sealant for automotive windows. not silicone. I use the sealant they use for sealing auto glass and works fine.
tough part is the drying of the lamp. i placed it under my A/C for a day and it was totally dry but got a bit of water marks.

Use a strong vaccum cleaner and suck the water out.
Emperor is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
zavhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
Use a strong vaccum cleaner and suck the water out.
Let me juz share a trick method to remove the water.

1) Get urself a drinking straw which can be tilted
2) Tape it to end of vacuum cleaner.
3) Adjust ur vacuum cleaner sleeve so tat it looses suction power. Tis to prevent ur straw frm being sucked in totally.
4) Insert the straw and slowly work it into all corners of the rear lite housing.
5)U will not find any stain !

zavhan is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is pissing me off too. Apparently, Mazda Canada registered my car wrong as well and my 3-year standard warranty is up. Mazda Added Protection doesn't pay for it either, of course. You know, the warrantly you pay extra for is crap too.

So I'm out $350 if I want it done. I'm gonna try it myself.

Mazda needs to own up to these mistakes if they ever want my money again.
mark833 is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
  #11  
Lear Driver
 
Techsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mark833 View Post
This is pissing me off too. Apparently, Mazda Canada registered my car wrong as well and my 3-year standard warranty is up. Mazda Added Protection doesn't pay for it either, of course. You know, the warrantly you pay extra for is crap too.

So I'm out $350 if I want it done. I'm gonna try it myself.

Mazda needs to own up to these mistakes if they ever want my money again.
My warranty had just expired when my tail light started to leak. Luckily the service mgr at my dealership is an awesome guy and gave me a "good-gesture" repair & they gave me a brand new tail light for FREE. Dealerships doing something nice is definitly a rarity.

That was almost a yr ago, and now my other tail light is starting to do the same thing. I doubt they'll give me another one, but maybe they'll at least hook me up with the newer, thicker gasket.
Techsan is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
drebbrnator
Series I Trouble Shooting
11
12-27-2018 07:02 PM
delicious_dallan
New Member Forum
6
11-10-2016 06:38 PM
xAgyex
Series I Trouble Shooting
8
03-13-2016 04:37 PM
t.swain
RX-8 Parts For Sale/Wanted
3
08-10-2015 06:55 PM
mesaboogie
Series I Tech Garage
4
08-07-2015 10:48 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where to get tail light replacement?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.