Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

throwout bearing rattle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:34 PM
tyranosaurus rex-8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throwout bearing rattle?

more so when my engine is cold i get this whirring/rattle type noise with the clutch out, if i press the clutch in it goes away. at the socal meet i spoke to i think it was disney destroyer about it and we walked over to his car and he started it up and it did the same thing.

i'm not sure it's the throwout bearing, but that's the type of sound it makes...i'm more familiar with a 4speed saginaw mated to a 350 smallblock and that's the kind of noise that makes me think to replace the throwout bearing.

so anyone else get this?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Prodigal Wankler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: throwout bearing rattle?

Originally posted by lefuton
more so when my engine is cold i get this whirring/rattle type noise with the clutch out, if i press the clutch in it goes away. at the socal meet i spoke to i think it was disney destroyer about it and we walked over to his car and he started it up and it did the same thing.
My Miata 6-speed and my wife's 5-speed have the same rattle. My pet theory is the gearbox input shaft bearing.

The service guys at Mazda South went back-and-forth with Mazda's tech line about it, but Mazda is adamant that it's "normal." You'll notice it's worse when you have the AC on too, for some reason.

I guess the RX-8 'box has more in common with the Miata's than we thought.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 AM
mostly harmless

Re: Re: throwout bearing rattle?

Originally posted by eccles
I guess the RX-8 'box has more in common with the Miata's than we thought.
nearly exactly the same unit with beefier shafts and gears for the increase in torque.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:44 AM
No more parachute

This is exactly what I heard on mine too. I picked mine up yesterday and I didn't noticed this until the car was in my garage. The enclosed area just made it more apparent. At first I didn't know WTH was making that sound. Clutch disengage = small whirling noise. Clutch engage = no noise. My friend, who's more technically verse, said it was the throw out bearing noise. I've never heard this on my Civic. But my friend's Corvette does the same thing, except it's louder.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Mad as a wet hen

Both my Miata and my RX-8 do this. It's apparently normal. It sounds much worse than it is.

J.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Go baby!

Originally posted by Good Duck
...didn't notice this until the car was in my garage. The enclosed area just made it more apparent. At first I didn't know WTH was making that sound. Clutch disengage = small whirling noise. Clutch engage = no noise. My friend, who's more technically verse, said it was the throw out bearing noise. I've never heard this on my Civic. But my friend's Corvette does the same thing, except it's louder.
Ditto everything. Being not technically versed, is this anything to worry about or just normal operation? I first heard it in the garage but now that I'm attuned to it I notice it at stoplights, etc.

btw, I get a whirring but not a rattle.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
tyranosaurus rex-8

well that sure makes me feel a lot better about it then. i don't really use a/c though unless i have passengers
Old 07-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Rotary Abuser

I have it too. Thats normal, Ive had other cars with the same thing.

Any other wierd noises? I had addressed a few in another thread. 90 MPH rattle and some exhaust popping.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:56 AM

have it too (t/o bearing)
I get a funny noise when starting out / backing up or starting forward as turning, type of thing when first getting going. Hard to describe, almost like brakes were stuck just for a sec like when the rotors get that coating of rust after washing or rain...
Old 07-27-2003, 01:54 AM
No more parachute

Originally posted by rx8daniel
I get a funny noise when starting out / backing up or starting forward as turning, type of thing when first getting going. Hard to describe, almost like brakes were stuck just for a sec like when the rotors get that coating of rust after washing or rain...
That's your ABS going through its startup test.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

I get that too, but only once when I first start the car and take off for the first time. It never does it again after that. I couldn't decide whether it was my brakes or clutch because it only happens when I get completely off the clutch and begin moving for the first time after it was started.

Really?

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 07-28-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Rotary Abuser

Good Duck is absolutely right.

The ABS runs a self test at start up and makes that "servo" noise. Its normal. You can almost feel it in your feet also
Old 07-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gyro
Good Duck is absolutely right.

The ABS runs a self test at start up and makes that "servo" noise. Its normal. You can almost feel it in your feet also
When the car starts or when you first begin to move it forward?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Rotary Abuser

I have noticed it when you put it in gear and move forward....or backward.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gyro
I have noticed it when you put it in gear and move forward....or backward.
OK, then it probably is the same thing I'm noticing as well. Hummm...where did you read that it was the ABS test anyway? Just curious in case other oddities show up I can look for a reference before coming here complaining (even though that is the only really odd thing I've noticed yet...except that the electric fan is louder than the engine lol).
Old 07-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Prodigal Wankler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too remember reading about this brake system self-check somewhere - the Technical Highlights CD, perhaps.

I think it does it after you've travelled a few feet in either direction. Mine does it just as I ease on the brakes at end of my driveway - was a little disconcerting the first couple of times.

Last edited by eccles; 07-28-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Go baby!

Boy, thank you so much for mentioning this. I felt it today for the first time -- before seeing this post -- and thought I had done something to the trannie. I had just started up, and was backing, when I felt a shudder. Never felt it again. This car is just full of surprises.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:52 AM

The throw out bearing noise will generally happen , if your car has the noise, all the time. About the only time you can hear it is in a quiet area with the stereo and blower off and just leave it in neutral and put the clutch in and out. The manual states to let the car idle for 10 seconds when starting - assume this means cold starts - but that may be for the ABS test and things to take place. I've been trying to let that happen while I roll out of the garage and close the door in the mornings.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:03 AM
No more parachute

The ABS self-test only occurred after the vehicle has moved. IMO, the suggested wait of 10 sec after starting and before moving is to let the oil reach normal operating pressure.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 AM

good theory

Good theory - but wrong. The oil won't reach normal operating temperature for about 10 minutes. I do believe the noise I hear when first moving could be something to do with the brakes. It seems to take place no other time than cold starts.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:35 AM

Smile Driving away "thud"

Regarding sounds that occur when the RX8 first rolls, I certainly hear them and have been envisioning a couple of things. Symptoms are a "light thud" when first rolling backward out of my driveway, then a larger "panel whack" sound when I take off forward. I don't claim to know what they are, but here's my guess:

1) "light thud" = brake test
2) "panel whack" = a panel that closes the front air intake for a "fan cooling mode" is re-opening

I don't know if such a panel even exists b/c I haven't investigated, but my '88 Porsche 928 did this (and they're practically the same car... jk).
Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM
No more parachute

Re: good theory

Good theory - but wrong. The oil won't reach normal operating temperature for about 10 minutes. I do believe the noise I hear when first moving could be something to do with the brakes. It seems to take place no other time than cold starts.
The 10 seconds wait I was refering to is for oil pressure not oil temperature. Oil pressure should reach normal state within a few seconds of starting, ie, the oil light turn off. Oil temperature takes much longer to reach its normal operating state.

I think we already established that the noise is from ABS self-test.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:48 AM

sorry, missed 'pressure' thinking it was 'temperature'. I have the same noises as notdeafyet. Good to know I'm not the only one.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: throwout bearing rattle?

Originally posted by lefuton

i'm not sure it's the throwout bearing, but that's the type of sound it makes...i'm more familiar with a 4speed saginaw mated to a 350 smallblock and that's the kind of noise that makes me think to replace the throwout bearing.

so anyone else get this?

It's called gear-rollover noise, and it's normal. Miatas & RX7s had this as well, most Mazdas do. The reason it sounds loud is due to the engine being so damn quiet at idle.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:50 AM
uhhhhh....hello?

what does it do?

the gear roll-over

anyway, so its no cause for alarm?
________
Ferrari 637 specifications

Last edited by P00Man; 04-16-2011 at 07:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: throwout bearing rattle?