Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: footlamp rewire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:10 AM
ShinkaMan #748 SV6P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: footlamp wiring Part 1 (without the kit)

I didn't like how the OEM footlamp comes on only with the door open then fades out after 10 sec. I wanted to be able to keep the lamp on at night while driving so I have to figure out a way to rewire directly to a wire controlled by the parking light/headlight stalk on the steering column. Thanks in large part to a big help from Rotary Rasp in pointing out the proper wire to tap into.

Understand that I have the footlamp kit that was installed per Mazda instruction behind the driverside kick panel (behind the fusebox). For those that has this kit and would like to convert to what I got then it's very straightforward. Look for part 2 on another DIY thread.

For others that do not have the kit but would like to do this DIY then you would need the following:

1. Small gauge electrical wiring-automotive, you'll need at least 20ft single strand or 12ft double(not sure exactly what size I think its 16gauge but just look at the wires under the dashboard, buy the same size wiring)
2. electrical tape
3. LED lights (you can buy a pair from your local auto parts store that is already prewired)
4. double stick tape for the LEDs
5. flashlight
6. long-nosed pliers
7. wire stripper
8. quick splices (look for picture)

Using 5ft double (or 10ft single wire cut in two) splice it to one LED, this is to be used for the passenger side.

Use another 2ft double wire and attach the other LED to be used for the driver side.

Strip the opposite ends and splice the two LEDs together but keep the spliced end bare for later.

Cut a 1ft double wire and split it into 2 singles, put away one for later. Attach one end to one of the 10mm screws found behind and above the driver side fuse box. Loosen the bolt and attach bare end of this wire. This is your neg(-) wiring. Once done splice the opposite end to one of the bare wires from the LED you did earlier, use electrical tape to cover this splice.

The other 1ft single wire should be attach to the other bare wires. Cover again with electrical tape. You are now done with 3/4 of the wiring needed!

First picture is how the wiring setup should look like. there should be 2 sets of 3 wires strung together.

2nd picture shows the bolt to attach the neg(-) wire found above and behind the fusebox.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: footlamp rewire-dsc00349.jpg   DIY: footlamp rewire-dsc00339.jpg  

Last edited by wedge357; 07-17-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:45 AM
ShinkaMan #748 SV6P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Step

Find the wiring harness to be tapped into for the positive(+) end. Look under and behind the steering column. You really have to stick your head under the dashboard. The wire to use comes from the 54-pin connector (it is the bigger white plastic cube with wires attached) and the color is RED WITH YELLOW STRIPE. Look at picture #1. It is easily visible, hooked to the plastic terminal along the bottom and looks kinda orange in the picture. You may cut the taping around to separate this wire from the other (DO NOT UNPLUG!)

Using a wire quick splice (picture #2) slip the red/yellow wire on one side and slide the remaining single wire from earlier into the other side of the quick splice. Using a pair of plier press down the metal tab on top of the quick splice until it is flush with it. The metal cuts through the plastic wiring covers to make the connection without actually cutting the wire (picture #3).

You are now done with the wiring. Test the lighting before permanently installing the LEDs. Turn the parking light/headlight stalk one click. The LEDs should come on.

Slide the longer LED wiring behind the AC/car stereo center dashboard to reach the other end. Find a suitable spot and use the double tape to attach the LED lighting. Find a spot also for the shorter LED light and you are now done!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: footlamp rewire-dsc00353.jpg   DIY: footlamp rewire-dsc00359.jpg   DIY: footlamp rewire-dsc00351.jpg  

Last edited by wedge357; 07-17-2005 at 01:35 AM.