Notices
Series I Aftermarket Performance Modifications Discussion of power adding modifications

CG-Lock, helping to tie down the loose nut behind the wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:34 PM
bmc
I'd rather be auto-xing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CG-Lock, helping to tie down the loose nut behind the wheel

Since I misposted this response to a thread on CG Quick, i figured I might as well spout off how highly I recommend the CGI lock. For those of you looking for a mechanism to plant your butt tighter in your seat, but don't want a full fledged harness, I recommend taking a look at CG-Lock.

The CG-Lock, for those of you that have never heard of a CG-Lock, is an add-on to standard seat belts that keeps your butt planted in your seat. The CG-Lock works by locking the lower portion of your seat belt into position. By keeping your butt planted in the seat, your upper body is free to move as much as the seat belt normally allows.

If you want to see some photos of the CG-Lock up close and personal, check out this page:
http://www.shmoo.com/~bmc/photos/Cars/CG-Lock/

If you want to read my detailed review of the CG-Lock from when I first got it, check out this page:
http://www.shmoo.com/~bmc/Autocross/cg-lock.html

The CG-Lock rocks. I highly recommend it. However, for the RX-8, there are a few things you should know up front.

1) You MUST get one that has curved grip areas. The normal CG-Lock does NOT have a curved grip area and will pull off the seat belt tounge with minimal force. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH THE CURVED GRIP AREA. The owner of the company is great and will replace them if you order the wrong unit, but why waste your time?

2) You will have to install the CG-Lock upside-down due to the loop the belt goes through on the seatbelt tounge. This makes adjusting the CG-Lock not as easy as it is normally, but it is acceptable. I used a normal CG-Lock on my GTI for many months, so it took me a bit to get used to using it backwards

Again, I HIGHLY recommend the CG-Lock.

I used my CG-Lock on my GTI for many months. I found myself having less back pain during the day due to better posture during my commute. Again, I HIGHLY recommend CG-Lock.

No, I don't sell CG-Locks. I don't work for CG-Lock. I do have CG-Lock decals on my RX-8 when I autocross, since I want everyone to know happy I am with it.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM
bmc
I'd rather be auto-xing

BTW, if you do buy a CG-Lock, please mention that you heard about it from me (Brian Caswell, the DC area autocrosser with a blue RX-8) on rx8club.

Thanks
-b
Old 07-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Certified track junky!!!

I purchased a set of CG-Locks (original straight design) out of the first batch and had to wait for ever to receive them. When they finally arrived I quickly found out that they would not stay attached on the RX-8's belts. It turns out that the owner/designer knew of this problem but didn't bother with pointing it out to the first batch of customers. So I returned them for a full refund but the experience left me feeling mislead and cheated. I personally would not by from them again.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:53 PM
RedZoomZoom

CG-Lock usage in RX-8?

In an email reply from Bruce Maher with Lap Belt Cinch, Inc., he stated that the design of the seat belt tongue prevent use of the CG-Lock. I'd like to understand how someone is using it "backwards", and whether this is a viable option.

If you are using the CG-Lock in an RX-8, can you post pictures?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
bmc
I'd rather be auto-xing

I'll try to take pictures of my CG-Lock tonight. Until then, the "original" design had flat grips where the CG-Lock clamped to the buckle. The original design pulled off the buckle in my RX-8 with ease.

At the SCCA Solo2 National Tour in DC, I talked to the owner of CG-Lock, who gave me a CG-Lock with a curved grip area.

I'll get pictures tonight, but here are some bad ascii art renderings of the differences between the curved grip and the normal grip.

HTML Code:
The original clamp looked something like this:
|-------------------------------
|
|
|
|
|-------------------------------

The clamp I have in my car looks something like this:
|-----------------------------\
|                              \
|
|
|                              /
|-----------------------------/
Old 10-01-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Eric (liteswap/tireswap) sells these over @
http://www.apexsecure.net/

If your a local autox'er (DC/VA/MD) he'll bring them to an SCCA event to save you the cost of shipping.

The new redesigned clip is really awesome...I find it helps with just general seating position in addition to keeping your *** firmly planted in the seat.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 AM
bmc
I'd rather be auto-xing

I took pictures via my camera phone, I'll upload em shortly. I spoke to the owner of CG-Lock at the WDCR event yesterday. He knows what equipment I have, and how I have it mounted, but he won't recommend it to potential customers because he has not tested it for himself.

That being said, it works great for me.

Again, pictures will be posted shortly.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:25 PM
bmc
I'd rather be auto-xing

I've uploaded photos here. The photos show what the CG-Lock looks like when attached to the belt, as well as when I am buckled in with the CG-Lock. As you might be able to tell from the 4th picture, this isn't very comfortable on long drives, since I like to rest my arms on my legs. As such, my elbow hits the CG-Lock. With "normal" CG-Lock installation, this isn't a problem. Since the RX-8 requires it be installed backwards, it kinda sucks.

Though, for long rides, I twist the buckle and plug it in backwards, making the CG-Lock face in the direction it should normally. The only drawback is that this method makes the CG-Lock difficult to adjust. For autocross, that sucks since you are in and out of the car so frequently. On long trips, this is the ticket. If anyone wants to see a picture of what that looks like, let me know. (I forgot thats how I drive with it normally, otherwise I would have taken a picture of it already)

I still highly recommend CG-Locks. My back has been much happier since I installed it. I'm not the only one who uses it on a daily basis. One of our local hotshoes, Brian Garfield, swears by it for daily driving for the same reason.

BTW2, if you are in the DC area, I recommend you get it directly from CG-Lock. Why? The owner autocrosses at the local events too. Look for the bmw in FS with the CG-Lock logos. I've spoken to a number of vendors that sell CG-Locks, none of them have the new style of clamps yet.

Brian