Notices
Series I Trouble Shooting This is the place to learn more about or discuss any issues you're having with your RX-8

Clutch Pedal (breaking/snapping)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
IT Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA Clutch Pedal (breaking/snapping)

I received this e-mail yesterday - it seems the DOT is finally looking into the issue and even I no longer own an 8 or a Mazda this makes me happy for everyone that does.

Dear Mazda Owner,

My name is Emily Reichard and I am an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. I am interested in the report you filed with us regarding your Mazda RX-8 clutch pedal problem. Can you describe to me what happened when you were driving the problem occurred? Please try to include 1) How far you were traveling at the time, 2) If you were still able drive the vehicle in any gear, 3) prior warning lights or noises, 4) if the vehicle has been repaired, 5) did the problem place you in any unsafe or dangerous situations?

I am aware of the postings on the internet forums. I am interested in getting the details on your specific experience. Anything you can tell me would be very helpful in researching this issue. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sure she's aware of the various threads including nycgps's, so let's hope something comes of it!

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-trouble-shooting-95/clutch-pedal-snap-off-8-year-warranty-recall-%7E%7E%7E-132912/
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

I was just driving home from my brothers house, clutch pedal has been "creaking" lately. Finally just snapped. It was dark so I'm not 100% sure it's related to the giant spring in the clutch pedal but fairly certain. VERY annoying at the least. $152 to tow it to the mechanic
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

finally got my car back today. mechanic was astonished at how shitty the clutch pedal is made. Apparently one of the welds broke and the pedal then started going into the Clutch master at an angle thus killing it. He was able to fix it and reinforce it so he said it should hold up better now. he was really really surprised that mazda would have such a poorly engineered clutch pedal.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Out of NYC

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Snakebite202
I received this e-mail yesterday - it seems the DOT is finally looking into the issue and even I no longer own an 8 or a Mazda this makes me happy for everyone that does.

Dear Mazda Owner,

My name is Emily Reichard and I am an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. I am interested in the report you filed with us regarding your Mazda RX-8 clutch pedal problem. Can you describe to me what happened when you were driving the problem occurred? Please try to include 1) How far you were traveling at the time, 2) If you were still able drive the vehicle in any gear, 3) prior warning lights or noises, 4) if the vehicle has been repaired, 5) did the problem place you in any unsafe or dangerous situations?

I am aware of the postings on the internet forums. I am interested in getting the details on your specific experience. Anything you can tell me would be very helpful in researching this issue. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
Yep, I was the first one to report this to NHTSA so yeah I was the first one to get a reply from them. that was a while ago tho.

Now it seems that they're looking at RX-8's reports.

Originally Posted by UniBroW
finally got my car back today. mechanic was astonished at how shitty the clutch pedal is made. Apparently one of the welds broke and the pedal then started going into the Clutch master at an angle thus killing it. He was able to fix it and reinforce it so he said it should hold up better now. he was really really surprised that mazda would have such a poorly engineered clutch pedal.
not surprised.

Mine snapped when I've parked my car (just finished driving, just trying to put it into 1st gear to lock the car, *crack*)

I dunno if it has anythign to do with it but, my clutch master died about 23K miles later. (damn lucky me, another first on this whole forum!) and it took the clutch slave with it (this hurts, its Fujita Engineering part damn it !)
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

yeah I replaced my slave also along with the master. Complete crap really, I'm just really really really happy it did it on Thursday. I was planning on taking my 8 up to Limerock in CT for the ALMS race this past weekend. Would have more then completely sucked had this happened 150miles from home. Blessing in disguise i guess.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

I got the response from Emily as well, hopefully we'll see something resolved here. I'm a bit paranoid that this is going to happen a 2nd time.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 AM

I feel like I am the only one that this problem has happened to....my dealership says that I am the first and only person to have the clutch assembly snap....I have had it happen to me twice!! the first time the clutch pedal snapped on the NJ Turnpike while going 70...the second time the assembly simply went bad and would not function

The clutch assembly on the RX-8 is quite weak unfortunately....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

link from Nyc's thread just in case you missed it, takes 5minutes at most to fill it out

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

Yep, everyone with this issue should do so. I myself haven't faced this yet, but rest assured that if/when I do.............they will hear about it, as will MazdaUSA.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

mine broke today. its been squeaking for about 10k miles. i repeatedly took it to mazda and all they did was put oil on it. tomorrow im gonna take it off and weld it (f&*k mazda). i suggest everyone get it welded b4 yours breaks. this is a huge safety issue imo and hopefully no one gets hurt when theirs breaks.

edit: completed complaint

Last edited by chancejat; 08-05-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
on his 3rd rx8

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah mine was going out and good thing it didnt go out all the way! came home and luckily it was a friday, got it fixed the same day
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
White is purdy...

..i wonder when the recall is coming...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Out of NYC

The recall will come only if we all stand up together
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 316 Likes on 225 Posts
I am trying to get a response from Mazda Australia as I do this...

I know our cars are Right Hand Drive, but we don't appear to have a problem ...or do we...and sorry I have not searched to find out...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Destroyer of Guilds!!!!

There was an article in the New York Times that Autoblog.com linked.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/r...da-rx-8-clutc/

They also called me a few weeks ago, NHTSA, to say their engineers were having a meeting about the issue and to gather some more information.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I LuV mY Rotary....

my clutch pedal broke twice in the same year, see my link in my signature:
Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered Zoom Zoomer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately those of us who are proactively welding and/or attaching reinforcement bracketry to the clutch pedal are not helping the potential recall statistics, but I didn't want to be a stat!

I must say I was not happy to have to install the bracket, 1. because I didn't feel I should have to pay for a fix to something that is under-engineered in the first place and 2. because I knew it was going to be a PITA job - which it was. But at least it's a good thing there was a fix available (thanks Brice at Fluid/Root).

Of course I now have peace of mind, as my time and reduced potential aggravation have a worth. Still, an unfortunate situation and I predict there will ultimately be a recall.

Thanks to nycgps and all the others who surfaced the issue and/or have filed reports.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

I hear ya!
I have a support bracket sitting in the garage that I have yet to install.
Have about 23k miles on the car and actually............I'm waiting for Winter so it's not so friggin hot down here and then I'll get this done!

Last edited by Mazurfer; 10-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Out of NYC

if you have a broken bracket ... dont change it ! hold on to it, get a new one. Then later "if" this turns into a recall, you can get your money back from Mazda.

Cuz this Bracket thing is really bullshit.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Clutch Pedal just Broke

Hi guys.

My first post and it has to be a bad one. Just about an hour ago my clutch pedal broke. I just heard a cracking sound and next thing you know i was unable to shift into any gear. Thankfully it happened near my house and no danger came out of it, but i was on my way to get in the freeway. I would not like to think what would have happened if I was driving in the freeway. So what should I do now? Contact Mazda? File a complaint with NHTSA? I need to get this fixed asap.

thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nycgps
if you have a broken bracket ... dont change it ! hold on to it, get a new one. Then later "if" this turns into a recall, you can get your money back from Mazda.

Cuz this Bracket thing is really bullshit.
why would you want to replace a faulty bracket with a new faulty bracket?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
on his 3rd rx8

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
^yes and yes, contact your local dealership and see if theyll replace it for free, if they dont, you can always take out the clutch pedal assembly and take it to a welding shop and have it welded back on with even more weld spots for more reinforcement
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 PM

I just logged a complaint.

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10288707

My clutch pedal started making a strange noise a week ago. The clutch doesn't feel like its working right anymore.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Out of NYC

Originally Posted by mysql101
why would you want to replace a faulty bracket with a new faulty bracket?
because you want to keep the broken bracket as evidence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal (breaking/snapping)