Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob

The idea behind this DIY is that I wanted to be able to roll up and down the windows from the factory key fob similar to VWs or BMWs. I was able to do this about 2 years ago now and never did a good DIY but I started a thread in the Interior, Audio and Electronics section that has just started to get some interest. So today I am going to write up my install complete with pictures.

First let's start with the components needed. You need to purchase 1 DEI 530t and 2 PAC Audio TR-7 (TR7 is the new name I believe). Much of my install was thanks to Lurch's DIY to install the 530t giving you Auto Up Down Windows. However I took it a step further by adding the ability to control the windows/Sunroof from outside the car. To do this I used the TR-7's to watch for door lock pulses. This way when you lock or unlock the car the TR-7's will read the number of pulses and then output a constant + and - signal. We use the - signal to the 530t and the + signal to the sunroof.

Here you can see the video of my car doing its magic. You can clearly see the 3x I press the Unlock for the Windows down. For the lock you can hear the horn honk and the windows moving at the same time 2x. One thing to note is that it does take a bit of delay between going from up to down. You can tell this because I pause after the windows go down before I attempt to roll them back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsSSFOFfPY

Ok to start follow Lurch's DIY to install the 530t. In picture 1 you can see the overall of the inside of my door. I placed the 530t in the same location as the DIY. However I did make 2 changes to his DIY. First I used a constant power source instead of the ACC like he does. For this I tapped the orange wire on the Bose connector as seen in picture 2. Second I used the setting for medium resistance on the 530t. It is On/Off/On/Off for DIP's 1-4. This is because my windows sometimes wouldn't go up completely in cold weather. And yes I do have my windows down because I smoke.

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-yourself-forum-73/diy-auto-up-down-windows-86459/

http://home.comcast.net/~c_wrzesniewski/windowsmod.htm

A manual for the 530t

http://www.p71interceptor.com/window...s/dei530t.html
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-1.jpg   DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-2.jpg  

Last edited by robbz23; 03-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered

Here are the instructions to program the 2 TR-7's. I used the power supply to my cable modem to do the programming in the house instead of car, if you do this make sure you check the polarity first. You need to hook up the power and ground first before doing anything. Then you use the brown wire to "pulse" a negative input.

1. Switch programming switch to on and hook up power and ground.
2. Pulse Brown wire to - 15 times to indicate option 15. Unit will slow flash 15x.
3. Pulse Brown wire 2x to indicate 2 pulse input. Unit will flash 2x. (this will be 3 for the second Tr-7).
3. Pulse Brown one time after flash to continue to inputting time.
4. Unit will flash once very quickly. Ignore this one as it is for the minute place on the timer. X:xx
5. Unit will flash 2x quickly again you ignore this one as it is for the 10 sec place. x:Xx
6. Unit will flash 3x quickly for single secs. Now u will pulse the brown 5 times for 5 secs. x:xX
7. Unit will flash a bunch more times indicating programming is complete. Disconnect power and turn programming switch off.

You are now ready to test. If you hook up the power leads and pulse the brown to - you will see the light on the box come on for 5 secs and you should see a - and + signal on the outputs during that time.

TR-7 Instructions
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010505.pdf

TR-7 Programming Flowchart
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...lletin_001.pdf

Last edited by robbz23; 12-27-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
IRC Founder

awesome, i have been wanting this feature
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered

Ok now we are ready to install the 2 TR-7's. I used the velcro that Lurch recommends for the 530t and installed them in the little bump in below where the 530t is.

You need to hook up the red wires together and tap the 530t harness behind the fuse for more safety. Do the same for the black wires and tap the 530t harness anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-3.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered

Now to hook up the inputs to the two TR-7. Remember which one you programmed for 2 pulses will for now on be referred to as the Lock TR-7 and the one with 3 pulses will be the Unlock TR-7. For the Lock TR-7 you will tap the door lock connector's top wire which is Red/Blue. For the Unlock TR-7 tap the one right below that which should be Red/Black. If you are unsure of these take out your multimeter and lock/unlock the doors. You should see it jump to +12v momentarily. These taps will go the the green wires on the respective TR-7.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-img_1900-copy.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

For the Unlock TR-7 you are going to hook the - output (white) to the White/Orange of the 530t. This will send the - output for 5 secs to the 530t when you press unlock 3x.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-4.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

For the lock TR-7 you will hook up the - output (White) from the TR-7 to the orange wire for the 530t.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-5.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

That is it if you just want the windows. Tape off the Orange and Brown wires from the TR-7's as they are unused. If you want to continue with the sunroof keep going.

You will hook up two blue wires to a wire to extend them through the door and up to the sunroof. I used an old 18 gauge (I think. Its small) speaker wire that has each side labeled. This is important so you know which side is which on the other end. You will need about 8ft of wire.

At one time I found a thread about how to add extra wires to through the door. But i can't find it now. Basically this involves punching out a hole that doesn't have wires in it in the door hinge and feeding your new wires through. Once you get it into the passenger compartment it is relatively easy to bring it up the A pillar and into the headliner.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-6.jpg  

Last edited by robbz23; 03-02-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Registered

To create enough room to run the wires in the headliner I removed the sun visor and clip (put a flat head into the slots on either side of the clip). The sunroof switches come down by removing the two screws in the sunglasses compartment and gently pulling down. There are some clips up there to hold it in so it might take a bit of force.

It will probably be easier if you remove the entire module from the car because we have a bunch of wiring to do.

Last edited by robbz23; 03-02-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
SARX Legend

Received 452 Likes on 366 Posts
This is out of my league, i think I will show this to an installer and see if they can do it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered

Ok picking it back up. Thanks everyone for waiting until I finish the write up before responding.

Ok look up in the hole where you have removed the switches for the sunroof. You will see the motor connection there. Unclip it and bring it down. You will be tapping the green Constant + wire and extending it about 1ft. This is to add constant power to your switches.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-img_1912-copy.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered

Ok last step. I did this out of the car but didn't take it out for the pictures.

Clip both the blue and the black wires between the harness and the switch. On the switch side you are going to tie these together with a wire nut (or barrel).

Now take the speaker wire from the door and you are going to tap the green side with the unlock and the yellow side with the lock. You can see I clipped these and used a wire nut, but it would probably be better if you use just a normal tap.

The blue wire on the harness side is getting tied to the wire you extend from the Green on the sunroof motor. In my picture you can see this is a yellow wire.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob-img_1915-copy.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

That should be it. Now keep in mind I did this over 2 years ago so I might not have remembered every last detail. If you do it please let us all know how it goes and if I missed anything.

Check out the older thread from when I did the original install.
https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-interior-audio-electronics-24/auto-down-up-windows-factory-alarm-100712/

Last edited by robbz23; 03-02-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

I plan on doing this in the hear future ill be sure to let you know if i run into any snags
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
User and Abuser

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Dude..... you rule. Plain and simple.

*Trys to dream up a way to get remote start with factory keyfob*
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I am THAT guy

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 on this being out of my league...

However i'm scribing for cliffnotes
Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
:( traded in my 8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks difficult yet easy at the same time. I plan on doing this late in the summer if I can get ahold of the parts.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Registered

could the tr7 be set up to close the windows on 3 clicks of the remote rather then 2? I would assume so but didn't bother reading the tr7 manual yet.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

Yes. The TR7 is designed to do different things for different functions. The one you need for this application is to turn on an output for a programmed number of seconds when a pre-programmed number of triggers has happened. So in this case I set mine to accept 2 inputs for rollup and that is triggered by the lock pulse. You can just as easily set that to be 3 for lock and 3 for unlock. Although i do recommend the 2 for 2 reasons, first if you don't want to rollup the windows just lock once. Secondly it is kind of a PITA to push lock 3x, and if it is set to 2x when you hear the horn honk you know the windows are going up too without looking.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Great post! Works Flawlessly!.

Thanks,
Stericson

Last edited by Stericson; 05-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

First I say get a multimeter out and start checking for voltages. The line you were supposed to tap at the sunroof motor is 12+ constant. To be honest I documented exactly how my sunroof is now, but I am not sure why I did it that way. I know there is another DIY here to turn you sunroof switches to always work. You might want to follow that one and just tap the wires from the doors up to the sunroof.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
rot8ing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice. i see you have the switchblade key. will it work with the fob, the one where you don't have to stick anything in the ignition?

there's buttons on the outside of my doors to unlock/lock. i never take the key out of my wallet. if those buttons could work the windows and sunroof too, that would be cool.

i guess it's probably too much to ask for you to write a diy for that. i doubt it will be much different.

cool though.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by robbz23
First I say get a multimeter out and start checking for voltages. The line you were supposed to tap at the sunroof motor is 12+ constant. To be honest I documented exactly how my sunroof is now, but I am not sure why I did it that way. I know there is another DIY here to turn you sunroof switches to always work. You might want to follow that one and just tap the wires from the doors up to the sunroof.

Thanks Robb, shortly after postring that I got it figured out, my setup blew a fuse for some reason, replaced it and all is good.

You did an excellent job on this tutorial, I really appreciate your time and effort put into this for us. Maybe one day I can return the favor for you.

Also, to the previous post, I have the FOB with no key, 2004 model, and it worked flawlessly.
Stericson
Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Registered

Stericson,
Glad you figured it out and it works for you now. How do you like the mod? I think you are officially the second person to do this after 2+ years. Amazing that more people don't want to do this or maybe they dont' know about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by myriadshalaks
very nice. i see you have the switchblade key. will it work with the fob, the one where you don't have to stick anything in the ignition?

there's buttons on the outside of my doors to unlock/lock. i never take the key out of my wallet. if those buttons could work the windows and sunroof too, that would be cool.

i guess it's probably too much to ask for you to write a diy for that. i doubt it will be much different.

cool though.
Myriadshalaks,

The way this works is based on the lock signal. I don't know the exact operation of the keyless system, but if you have to hit the button on the door 2x for example to unlock all doors, then you could get this to work for you. My concern would be more for the lock side. Doesn't the system auto lock the doors as you move away from the car? In this case it would be just one pulse and I don't know if you would want the windows and sunroof to close every time you lock the drivers door. I never mentioned it here, but the way I have it wired up it works 100% of the time. So inside with the car running I can triple unlock or double lock and close or open all windows.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Auto Up/Down Windows with Factory Key Fob