Notices
Series I Do It Yourself Forum Wanna save some coin or time/money in the shop? Read up on Do-It-Yourself custom mods and repairs & post your own here.

DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
"13B vs. Renesis" Discuss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)

The link to the other catch can DIY is dead... so I figured I would make one for the novice automotive enthusiast.

Preface - looking at the forums, each catch can is different with lots of different mounting options and equipment, etc... I'm going to focus this on just a quick over all hoses and locations that need to be moved.

I know this is really easy, but there are a lot of people on here that really have never worked on their car and a real simple DIY like this would be helpful. (like me!)

Step 1: Do you need a catch can?
In the 04 and 05 models, if you overfilled the oil, it could blow back into your upper intake clogging the throttle body and perhaps causing your SSV valve to be stick closed. (bad, causes stalling at Idle, build up, etc)
A catch can will keep all of this oil "blow by" of overfilled oil out of your intake.

06's and newer have the oil overflow routed into the rear maintenance ports.

I purchased the catch can below off ebay for $45. Claimed it was OBX, but obx didn't have these on their site. So... who knows - its a can that holds oil... as long as it doesn't leak, i'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-catch-can.jpg  

Last edited by Vyndictive; 02-03-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Step 2. Choose a catch can that you feel comfortable with. 750ml capacity is pretty large. Make sure you can fit a large can in your engine bay. Quality doesn't seem to be a real issue as long as the fittings are good. But like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Step 3. Supplies. (If not included with your can)
Vacuum/ emissions hose. thicker walled, enough to not collapse under vacuum.
24 inches should be enough. I used 5/16 hose, but it would be easier with a slightly larger diameter.
Hose clamps
10mm socket
flat head screw driver
Vacuum Caps
Breather filter (if desired - not running hose back into intake)
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-additional-parts.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-breather.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Step 4. Remove the stock hose connecting the oil filler chamber to the intake. You do not need any tools to this, it will just pop off with a little wiggling.
Ports to remove are in red circles, and the hose path is in yellow.
Note - when removing the hose from the air intake, it connects to a black plastic "L" joint. If you try to rip off the hose, you risk breaking this L joint. So be gentle with it and slowly work it off.
Don't use pliers either.

Also - Keep that stock hose someplace if you ever need to go back to stock. I'm sure a dealership would try to void your warranty for this.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-stock-hose.jpg  

Last edited by Vyndictive; 01-14-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Step 5. Find a suitable mount for your catch can. Best places are by the window washer fluid tank or the other side by the brake master cylinder. Ensure a good fit, make sure the path of your hoses won't run by any belts or really hot areas.

Be sure you can see the oil catch can oil level without too much difficulty.

I mounted mine in front of the washer fluid can. Removed the 10mm bolt and popped off the wiring clip. I also mounted my can quickly to test it to make sure it would fit alright then unbolted it so it would be easier to attach the hose.
I circled my primary locations in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-mount-location.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-install-1.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-install-2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Step 6. Run the hose to unmounted can. Mark the hose and cut the proper length. Try to keep the filler cap higher than the entry port to the catch can so the overflow will run into the can with gravity.

Mount your hose from the filler port to the "unmounted" catch can, but run the hose on the path that you want it. (it'll be easier to attach the hose to the can when it is not mounted)

Use a clamp on the catch can filler neck hose...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-hose-route.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-intake-can-hose.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Step 7. Finish mounting the can with the hoses run to and from the can (if you're not capping the intake)

Step 8. Install breather on exit port of catch can and install hose clamp on port.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-intake-mounted-can.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-final-install.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Step 9. Cap the intake (If not running catch can exit hose back to intake)
With the stock hose removed, you'll have an open port into your intake that is unfiltered air (bad). Thus, you need to cap it using a Vacuum cap, I don't know the exact size for sure, so I just tried different sizes out of my "variety pack" from autozone until I got one to fit.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-open-intake-port.jpg   DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-capped-intake-port.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Step 10. Admire your handy work, even you can work on cars!

Again, this DIY may seem really really basic, but I think it will be helpful for people who are not really comfortable working on their cars - this is really step by step.

Enjoy a dry intake from now on!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the DIY man, im thinking about gettting a greddy, on my 04..
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Metatron

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Great DIY!

Thanks for explaining the 'basics' - why it's needed, why the air should be filtered, etc....

S
Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2,624 Likes on 1,874 Posts
nicely done!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM
SHKWAV

Nice job Vyn!

BTW, not to steal his thunder, but if anyone is interested, i am attaching his DIY as a pdf here. (complete with credits to him in the PDF) This way anyone can download and easily print it if they want.

Mods, if you want to put it on the initial post, that'd be great!

Again, great job with this Vyn!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oil_catch_can_DIY.pdf (1,012.3 KB, 3869 views)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

Vyndictive, thank you very much sir.
I really appreciate this DIY.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Renesis_Genesis
thanks for the DIY man, im thinking about gettting a greddy, on my 04..
Wait.......what...........I have a black powder coated Greddy for sale.

See............. https://www.rx8club.com/rx-8-parts-sale-wanted-44/f-s-various-stuff-163778/
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

Originally Posted by Vyndictive
Step 4. Remove the stock hose connecting the oil filler chamber to the intake. You do not need any tools to this, it will just pop off with a little wiggling.
Ports to remove are in red circles, and the hose path is in yellow.

Keep that stock hose someplace if you ever need to go back to stock. I'm sure a dealership would try to void your warranty for this.
One long-winded comment, because I have seen people do it.
When taking the hose off the intake side, please realize that if you just grab it and yank the hell out of the hose, you will break the plastic tube piece off. Vyn is right in that you should twist it just a little bit, but try to get your finger(s) back behind/beyond the rubber hose and hold the plastic tube still while removing the hose.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Surf Hard, Drive Hard

And here's a link to the "Catch Can Pics" thread so you can get ideas for what's out there and where possible mounting locations are.

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-aftermarket-performance-modifications-23/catch-can-pics-163702/

Dave
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mazurfer
One long-winded comment, because I have seen people do it.
When taking the hose off the intake side, please realize that if you just grab it and yank the hell out of the hose, you will break the plastic tube piece off. Vyn is right in that you should twist it just a little bit, but try to get your finger(s) back behind/beyond the rubber hose and hold the plastic tube still while removing the hose.
Very true - I'll make a notation in the original posts.

I'm glad people are finding this useful.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Grasshopper

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Good job Vyn...
Too bad we didn't take pics of what occurred that made you want to do this (stuck SSV valve).

I think people seeing your throttle body, intake manifold extension, SSV, and MAF housing covered with oil/sludge would convince more people to consider a catch can (or at least doing your own oil changes).
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM

well, here is the pic of the SSV from the top, can't see much. But - see how its brown? That oil that is baked on causing the valve to be stuck shut.

That stripe that looks clean is from a flathead screwdriver with a rag on it that we were using to try to get some of that crap out of there.

I had oil film all down the entire intake, the throttle body was completely coated, it was bad!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-ssv.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
OMGITM!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This should prevent the question from being asked so many times as we are familiar with! Great job!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered Lunatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Great DIY - thanks!

One question though...

06's and newer have the oil overflow routed into the rear maintenance ports.
If this is the case, would it perhaps be possible to mimic this somehow on the '04-'05 cars instead of using a catch can? Seems to be simpler and may even be better as it'd not be necessary to empty the can from time to time.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Grasshopper

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamas
would it perhaps be possible to mimic this somehow on the '04-'05 cars instead of using a catch can? Seems to be simpler and may even be better as it'd not be necessary to empty the can from time to time.
This is the TSB Vyn was referring to.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...50-06-1664.pdf
Nothing says you can't go this route if you want.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Boosted Kiwi

Received 1,489 Likes on 839 Posts
Founjd a great place to mount the catch can the other day . On my discarded air pump bracket . Looks like it is made for the job
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tamas
Great DIY - thanks!

One question though...

If this is the case, would it perhaps be possible to mimic this somehow on the '04-'05 cars instead of using a catch can? Seems to be simpler and may even be better as it'd not be necessary to empty the can from time to time.
Yeah, that would work also... The reason I chose not to go that route was because while dumping the oil back into the ports will keep it out of the upper intake, your engine is still just going to burn it off and have too much oil in the combustion strokes... Which is minor because all of the later cars don't have a problem with this... I guess if I overfilled my oil, I wouldn't want it all running back into the engine anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jon316G
This is the TSB Vyn was referring to.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...50-06-1664.pdf
Nothing says you can't go this route if you want.
So if you have the lines re-routed per ^^^ and you still install a catch can because of VVV

Yeah, that would work also... The reason I chose not to go that route was because while dumping the oil back into the ports will keep it out of the upper intake, your engine is still just going to burn it off and have too much oil in the combustion strokes... Which is minor because all of the later cars don't have a problem with this... I guess if I overfilled my oil, I wouldn't want it all running back into the engine anyway.
What do you do with the line that comes out of the intake and gives the intake manifold the ole reach-around like VVV Was the X is capped before?
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)-oil-line-reach-around.jpg  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Oil Catch Can Install (basic)