General Automotive Discuss all things automotive here other than the RX-8

ODB-III, Hope this never happens!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ODB-III, Hope this never happens!

I recently heard some frighting things about the proposed ODB-III standards. I have a couple of links to articals about them. I seems they want to be able to read our computer contents with a road side scanner. The possibility to give remote speeding tickets. Also included, would be a way to remotely shutdown your car.
Fear this (1984) future. Big Brother will be watching.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may/obd_iii_new.cfm
http://www.fyyff.com/mt/archives/000113.html
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...sageID=2075365
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big brother is watching now, it's called ONSTAR. Some of this "monitoring" technology is already present in our current cars. Many cars already have "black boxes" that records data such as speed, steering input, brake force, etc. prior to an air bag deploying. Insurance and police use it if it's available (as in an accident or something). I'm pretty sure corvettes have them. It's one of those things that car companies don't exactly like to mention.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
jersey fresh

Originally Posted by costello
Big brother is watching now, it's called ONSTAR. Some of this "monitoring" technology is already present in our current cars. Many cars already have "black boxes" that records data such as speed, steering input, brake force, etc. prior to an air bag deploying. Insurance and police use it if it's available (as in an accident or something). I'm pretty sure corvettes have them. It's one of those things that car companies don't exactly like to mention.
yeah i remember reading a caranddriver about 5 years ago stating that the 4 gen camaro's and transam had them, the story told was of an accident with the blackbox showing that before the airbags deployed the car was traveling over 120 mph.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Future Rotary User

Some stuff like the black box is just because the auto manufcs. want something on their side if someone tries to sue. I've heard about this OBD III stuff before from some of my instructors but I doubt it'll really happen.

I will say that as time goes on it will become more and more difficult to "get away" with stuff in or on cars due to increasing levels of sophistication on the roads and in the cars themselves. The cars that are out now have limited "reporting" like onstar but worst case with onstar you could always disable the transmitter. I suspect that people will find a way around these things if they do ever become common place, which I pray they won't.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This reminds me of a movie, The Fifth Element. When Bruce Willis' character was down to no points and he bashes the dash in so he can still drive.

There should always be a way around something.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
big BADDA boom

Lelu Dallas multi-pass

i love that movie
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zoom44
big BADDA boom

Lelu Dallas multi-pass

i love that movie
and my favorite word that she kicks out other than multi-pass is Chee-Can after she pulls the 10 pound chicken out of the special convection microwave.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...ECxHQD8S5H7N80
The headline is "GM OnStar System Could Halt Stolen Cars". It goes on to say how the police can shutdown a car for various reasons. This is a sample of ODB-III. Now what if a hacker could unlock your doors, start your car remotely and drive away.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Future Rotary User

If it can be done it will be done. Heck with a cell phone transmitter and the right frequencies you could unlock the doors, start the car (if remote start is available), and drive away. Heck forget hacking, just use a flat bed tow truck and disconnect the battery.

Quite honestly I think the current generation of new drivers will see enforced shutdown and OBDIII roadside monitoring within our lifetime. It will be the end of speeding, and eventually all cars will drive themselves anyways. Its scary to think about it...
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lone_wolf025
If it can be done it will be done. Heck with a cell phone transmitter and the right frequencies you could unlock the doors, start the car (if remote start is available), and drive away. Heck forget hacking, just use a flat bed tow truck and disconnect the battery.

Quite honestly I think the current generation of new drivers will see enforced shutdown and OBDIII roadside monitoring within our lifetime. It will be the end of speeding, and eventually all cars will drive themselves anyways. Its scary to think about it...
Speeding tickets are too much of a cash cow to stop giving them out altogether...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Future Rotary User

Originally Posted by OnRails
Speeding tickets are too much of a cash cow to stop giving them out altogether...
They won't stop until cars drive themselves. Until then more and more automation will be set up into the system until you cannot speed anywhere without being captured by automated cameras/traps and receiving a ticket in the mail. Chicago gets revenue by their stoplight cameras and admit thats why they have them. We have automated traffic control vans on the highways near this area that will take a picture of your plate and mail you a speeding ticket. Its only in construction zones now, but if they can they will move them into regular areas. Its only a matter of time... Oh and did I mention if you get caught by any of those cameras you have NO recourse?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Mu ha.. ha...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ja, life sucks.

But, I got the Multi Pass!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

wow, talk about the government controlling us, this is bullsh!t, the government should be scared of the people, not the people being scared of the government
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

ODB-III does contain a gps transponder. You can be tracked any time for any "legal" reason. Combine this with Google maps and a officer can see you coming and get your speed, miles before you get to his speed trap. Or maybe it will become legal to ticket a car just from the transponder information.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

if this ever happens, the person who puts it into law is going to get assasinated either by me or some other pissed off speed freaks
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that this is a concept that is originating in California. You can be sure that if it involves a reduction in personal freedom and increasing control over us that the idea originated over there.

There is both good an bad with making things more controlling through computers. It's bad to those people who are mindless lemmings who follow others. It's good for those who are creative who find a way around things. That's ingenuity. You can be sure that some hacker will find a way to disable many aspects of it removing control over it from the outside. It's only a matter of time. If it has been created, it can be destroyed. If it has been programmed, it can be reprogrammed. If it's a computer, it can be hacked. The only question is how long will it take as it's only a matter of time.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
FI by Pettit-BHR-Cobb AP

How about a ticket from one of those cameras at every intersection? In Arizona they are issuing tickets from them. Now Nevada is going to try the same thing cuz all the lemmings in Arizona did not challenge it. Our stanchest Republican who is always against personal freedom assaults is the one pushing it to start.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rotarygod
It doesn't surprise me that this is a concept that is originating in California. You can be sure that if it involves a reduction in personal freedom and increasing control over us that the idea originated over there.

There is both good an bad with making things more controlling through computers. It's bad to those people who are mindless lemmings who follow others. It's good for those who are creative who find a way around things. That's ingenuity. You can be sure that some hacker will find a way to disable many aspects of it removing control over it from the outside. It's only a matter of time. If it has been created, it can be destroyed. If it has been programmed, it can be reprogrammed. If it's a computer, it can be hacked. The only question is how long will it take as it's only a matter of time.
very true, but if we kept our car, and didnt buy a new one that had that ODB 3, we would be fine, cause they couldnt control our computers, and if they did want us to buy a new car with it, thats too damn bad, because there is no way they can make us buy anything we dont want. If they do make us buy those cars, the land of the free goes out the window!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Power!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
money>personal freedom.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

yea, thats a tough fight